Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more than one song please
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 26, 2013 20:40

Green Lady
gotdablouse
Green Lady
Is it possible that all the shouting, here and elsewhere, about MT as the saviour of the Stones and how they are no good without him hasn't gone down well in some quarters?

I don't think any (reasonable) poster said they were "no good" without him, just that it was (really) special when he was on stage with them...and they seemed to agree based on their looks during CYHMK! But I guess that has similar implications for a freak control like Jagger...

Well, let's start with whoever it was who said that we just had "Mick Taylor's rhythm section" on stage for most of the show last night. Comments like that must hurt, and make them want to show that they've been doing this for years without him and they can manage very well, thank you.

While I agree that it's unlikely that Jagger would base any of his decisions on what's being posted here, it's possible tons of people bended his ear with how fantastic Taylor had been and maybe he watched the vids and saw a few things...

For a start Taylor looked incredibly smug/confident for a guy who's been playing crappy bars for 40 years, maybe Jagger finds that a bit "fresh"...and then yes, during CYHMK it looked very much like Taylor was in charge, walking over to Keith, then Bobby Keys, then Darryl...and the end of course that he directed. Jagger didn't seem to have a problem with that on stage especially since he shared the best public laugh with Keith since...who knows when! He'll get over it...hopefully !

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 26, 2013 20:42

I don't need Lady Gaga, Carrie Underwood (wtf), Madonna, Adele, or any other Pop Star or chick to do a silly ass duet with Mick Jagger.

This all about Jagger. No way KR would want some pop star each night.

Yet MT brings out the best in the Stones and he only plays two friggin songs after Staples Center.

Obviously they didn't like what he played or how he played. Most likely its their own @#$%& insecurity.

They have a lead guitarist on par with Clapton, Page, Beck, Guy and Greene and they only play him two songs?

This is beyond crazy and is likely the same reasons he left the band in the first place - not wanting to give him the recognition he deserves. No one can logically argue the talent isn't there. He is the most talented musician / player on the stage.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 26, 2013 20:49

It seems they've been using the same old computer for decades to write their setlist.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 26, 2013 21:37

There's an INCREDIBLY interesting dynamic about to hit their tour calendar: CHI#2, CHI#3, TOR#2, MONTREAL (last Canada show ever?), (BOS#1), BOS#2. Think about that stretch. Four of the six gigs have serious potential for more MT and 'deeper cuts' ala 5/20 because they're nights #2 or 3 in a city and they might not have extra guests.

If they repeat the stellar choices of 5/20, then maybe the proverbial barn door will be blown off its hinges. The barn door was opened 5/20 and the horses got loose. Jagger has re-closed the barn door. If Taylor gets 3-4 songs for CHI#3, TOR#2 and BOS#2, the door will be off its hinges and only an insecure control freak could not see what's best for the live MUSIC legacy of the Stones. Taylor has made Keef and Ronnie get their shit together after they (amazingly) were the weak links for the last 2 tours (Licks, ABcool smiley. What's going on now is some sick head games courtesy of Jagger, a tragic waste of a touring member and an epically and needlessly cruel (to the fans and MT) keeping the race horse tethered in the barn when everyone wants to see it run. It's supposed to be a 50th B'day bash tour, and they're robbing themselves of a simple extra 10 minutes a night of musical highs.

On 5/20, we heard a collective roar circle and fill the arena during MT on CYHMK. That includes all of the fans who don't even know who MT is and just came to hear the hits. Even they were musically transported to an ecstatic high for reasons they maybe could not even put their finger on, because of the Musical peak climbed by Taylor, not because of the "spectacle' element of the show. When was the last time you remember hearing the audience lose it specifically because of a climactic musical solo at a Stones show pre-2012?

So since they've apparently wasted their big 5 day break and couldn't see fit to work MT into a simple extra song like LIV or ADTL (vs the jams of a Sway coda or CYHMK), the big question becomes: What's going to happen during the CHI#3, TOR#2 and Boston #2 all coming up? Either Charlie/Keef/Ron want MT to play more and need to force a showdown or MJ needs to face himself. The one-song-a-night farce and token appearance during Satisfaction have to stop. It's BS. Time is running out for this opportunity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-26 21:51 by winter.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 26, 2013 22:03

Mick Taylor needs at least 2 songs (3-4 would be great) now with real lead playing in every show, he has played enough Midnight Rambler, he could play now other songs, please Mr. Jagger don't disappoint the FANS anymore, you have now an incredible opportunity to make something historical with Mick Taylor to come true on stage as in LA 5/20, the guests don't seem to bring anything musically relevant to the shows, they are an almost distracting thing IMO. Some of them don't even seem to know the songs they are singing.

And Keith seems like he is lacking some energy, I hope he will cheer up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-26 22:06 by rollingon.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: May 26, 2013 22:04

Agreed.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 26, 2013 22:22

I watched - or tried to do that - "Satisfaction" from last night, and especially paying attention to Taylor's contribution there. I write my observations here since I think it fits here better - let the official gig thread be dedicated to other stuff, such as photos of some American Idol winner, etc.

Anyways, the click was rather to follow, but still Taylor did all kind of funny things. As usual - why he always need to do that? - checking and tuning the amp, a bit walking, Taylorian dancing we are used to by now grinning smiley... then while Keith takes the solo, sitting down in the front of Charlie's drums, probably having the best seat in building to enjoy the show.... But still there was something interesting to follow musically. Like noted, he is mostly "strumming" the chords, but here and there he likes to beef up the sound, the riff, etc. with little runs here and there. He is almost unhearable mostly - his guitar is rather down - but still there some improvisation-based curiosity... he sounds like - to use the very word - ready to "weave", but does not get much connection or response from the Weaver Boys - especially from Keith, who seemingly is just concentrated doing the riff and his solo right. In the very last moments Taylor funnily ices the main riff with vibrato. All of that is done with a rather low profile, or showing a good taste to not rock the boat too much (knowing his place).

All in all, what I hear there is lots of not realized potentiality in the stage even during "Satisfaction", but seemingly to really start a guitar fiesta is out of their reach now. But even hands tied down, Taylor does a nice job. Some people seem to wait just a striking long solo from him, but I think he is doing a nice job as a side kick as well. The "three guitar attack" is right there, if
they just would let the lion out of cage, and give more freedoms to all of them. But I think the reality of their guitar dynamics is now that Keith does what he can do, and the two others somehow try to fit into that, and carefully not to bother him, or to step in his shoes. I am afraid that Keith is no longer in "weaving" form.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-26 22:31 by Doxa.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 26, 2013 22:25

muffie
roby
A guest must remain a guest: hello, thank you, goodbye. Mick Taylor with four tracks as in LA was too "in the light"...

Sure is in a good way. A Guns N' Roses cover band guitarist I know has taken an interest in the band again upon hearing about Mick Taylor's guesting in LA. He's not interested in mediocre guitar playing that's been the staple for some time now.

I'm hopeful MT's being groomed to bring us the Crossfired Hurricane.

Hollywood Rose feat. Mick Taylor (Rolling Stones) - Jailbreak

Thanks for posting, reminds me of Thin lizzy a bit. Good solo. When did Mick record this?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 26, 2013 22:35

Munichhilton
duffydawg
For a Stones fan not to love Taylor is stupid crazy.

Many Stones fans are stupid crazy...Maybe Jagger is stupid crazy?

No he's careful : if he gives MT too much stage time ppl will get this message "the Stones are never as great as when they're with MT" = a slap in the face of the band as it is since 1975.
Jagger wants to avoid this...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 26, 2013 22:38

dcba
Munichhilton
duffydawg

No he's careful : if he gives MT too much stage time ppl will get this message "the Stones are never as great as when they're with MT" = a slap in the face of the band as it is since 1975.
Ridiculous. Everybody knows this is their last hurrah. No time to worry about what people will think about the band in the future. Instead leave a great legacy and go out with strong performances. Taylor breathes life into them. Some of the performances on this tour have been embarassingly bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 07:06 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 26, 2013 22:53

dcba
Munichhilton
duffydawg

Yup, gotta agree with you on this one. Mick is the master at this type of thing.

Date: May 26, 2013 22:55

That's what I mean. Sometimes the sound is really off. Mick
Taylor adds so much with so little effort. I stand by my post
that at times it has a tin or hallow sound when Keith or
RW are off. 20 yrs ago, Keith could get away with it, but
it really was evident that they need a 3rd guitarist. You
have one who for reasons only known by the band is being
wasted at all but one show so far.it is not like there are
many more tours. Maybe a return in the fall, but this is
close to the end,

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 26, 2013 23:42

Brstonesfan
That's what I mean. Sometimes the sound is really off. Mick
Taylor adds so much with so little effort. I stand by my post
that at times it has a tin or hallow sound when Keith or
RW are off. 20 yrs ago, Keith could get away with it, but
it really was evident that they need a 3rd guitarist. You
have one who for reasons only known by the band is being
wasted at all but one show so far.it is not like there are
many more tours. Maybe a return in the fall, but this is
close to the end,

As for Keith's and Ronnie's playing it really seems that they should have rehearsed much more playing together and also the whole band should have rehearsed more, the age thing is also affecting, no doubt about it. Maybe they really didn't understand how much rehearsing should have been done. Jagger is very good but even he seems to have problems from time to time.

I agree totally that they NEED Mick Taylor now very bad and it's very high time that they understand and accept this even though it could be hard thing to accept. When Mick Taylor plays lead it levels up and energizes the performance immediately and Mick Taylors playing can make things easier for Keith and Ronnie.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 27, 2013 00:00

Doxa
I watched - or tried to do that - "Satisfaction" from last night, and especially paying attention to Taylor's contribution there. I write my observations here since I think it fits here better - let the official gig thread be dedicated to other stuff, such as photos of some American Idol winner, etc.

Anyways, the click was rather to follow, but still Taylor did all kind of funny things. As usual - why he always need to do that? - checking and tuning the amp, a bit walking, Taylorian dancing we are used to by now grinning smiley... then while Keith takes the solo, sitting down in the front of Charlie's drums, probably having the best seat in building to enjoy the show.... But still there was something interesting to follow musically. Like noted, he is mostly "strumming" the chords, but here and there he likes to beef up the sound, the riff, etc. with little runs here and there. He is almost unhearable mostly - his guitar is rather down - but still there some improvisation-based curiosity... he sounds like - to use the very word - ready to "weave", but does not get much connection or response from the Weaver Boys - especially from Keith, who seemingly is just concentrated doing the riff and his solo right. In the very last moments Taylor funnily ices the main riff with vibrato. All of that is done with a rather low profile, or showing a good taste to not rock the boat too much (knowing his place).

All in all, what I hear there is lots of not realized potentiality in the stage even during "Satisfaction", but seemingly to really start a guitar fiesta is out of their reach now. But even hands tied down, Taylor does a nice job. Some people seem to wait just a striking long solo from him, but I think he is doing a nice job as a side kick as well. The "three guitar attack" is right there, if
they just would let the lion out of cage, and give more freedoms to all of them. But I think the reality of their guitar dynamics is now that Keith does what he can do, and the two others somehow try to fit into that, and carefully not to bother him, or to step in his shoes. I am afraid that Keith is no longer in "weaving" form.

- Doxa

Good observation Doxa, I noticed it myself too. Listen carefully to Sway and Knocking (the vids with the best sound quality) and you'll hear he does the same before the Great Solos start. Always interesting and adding new things. It's called making music.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 27, 2013 00:26

sweetcharmedlife
dcba
Munichhilton
duffydawg

Ridiculous. Everybody knows this is tehir last hurrah. No time to worry about what people will think about the band in the future. Instead leave a great legacy and go out with strong performances. Taylor breathes life into them. Some of the performances on this tour have been embarassingly bad.

thumbs up

Date: May 27, 2013 00:39

I think Taylor is told to keep it down during Satisfaction.
Mick even cuts him off during Rambler at times. Did the same thing
when MT was hitting his stride during Sway. It is so,peculiar
that instead of embracing him and using his talents, they appear
threatened by it. I do,agree, however, that they definitely
needed more practice. Also, when did Mick feel the need to
make a joke for every city?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 27, 2013 01:00

71Tele
sweetcharmedlife
dcba
Munichhilton
duffydawg

Ridiculous. Everybody knows this is tehir last hurrah. No time to worry about what people will think about the band in the future. Instead leave a great legacy and go out with strong performances. Taylor breathes life into them. Some of the performances on this tour have been embarassingly bad.

thumbs up

That's Presidential Stump Speech stuff sweetcharmedlife

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 27, 2013 01:09

Max'sKansasCity
dcba
Munichhilton
duffydawg

Yup, gotta agree with you on this one. Mick is the master at this type of thing.
Well it's too late for that already. CSN are a good example, they embrace Young and know they are different when he's there. Of course Neil is a star while MT is a cult figure and a blast from the past. In hindsight they should have embraced this throughly, reworked the show and let the world go "wow". Now they've been shown up by a guy they're toying with. In Hyde Park their going to need a boat orr to keep him down once he hits the stage, deservingly so there'll be more than one tiny pecker exposed before this is through.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 27, 2013 01:23

It 's my first post here, so take this opportunity to greet everyone and sorry for my english ... I'm Italian and I follow for years the Rolling Stones and also your beautiful forum, I finally joined.
But I think that to be a forum on the rolling stones you're giving a little too much importance to MT, I love when he plays on a few tracks, but in general I prefer RW, two guitarists are completely different, not comparable, but MT is a guest, while RW is part of the band. I think it's a miracle you can review them still live, and have fun ..... hello

Date: May 27, 2013 01:29

DoomandGloom

In hindsight they should have embraced this throughly, reworked the show and let the world go "wow". Now they've been shown up by a guy they're toying with. In Hyde Park their going to need a boat orr to keep him down once he hits the stage, deservingly so there'll be more than one tiny pecker exposed before this is through.

Yup, Hyde Park will be the real homecoming. If this shunning continues, he should pretend (at Hyde Park) that he's back in Kansas City 1981 and just not leave the stage! Who's gonna kick him off, security? He should just walk onstage for GS and stay, tastefully not playing on any post-1974 material or Keef's 2 tunes. I'm sure the crowd AND the visiting heavies hanging backstage (Clapton, Beck, Macca, etc) will have his back. Now THAT'll be some drama AND music to remember for a lifetime!

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 27, 2013 01:34

Testify
It 's my first post here, so take this opportunity to greet everyone and sorry for my english ... I'm Italian and I follow for years the Rolling Stones and also your beautiful forum, I finally joined.
But I think that to be a forum on the rolling stones you're giving a little too much importance to MT, I love when he plays on a few tracks, but in general I prefer RW, two guitarists are completely different, not comparable, but MT is a guest, while RW is part of the band. I think it's a miracle you can review them still live, and have fun ..... hello

wait a sec. in italy they say hello at the end?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 27, 2013 01:36

Testify

You registered 30 minutes ago to make this point?

Date: May 27, 2013 01:37

Testify

Welcome Testify, your English is very good. Very exciting time in Stones' history right now! Thanks for posting and saying "hello"!

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 27, 2013 01:59

71Tele
Testify

Nice way to treat a newcomer.

Date: May 27, 2013 02:10

71Tele
Testify

It's a good point. This MT lovefest is Out Of Control! And I love Mick Taylor!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 27, 2013 02:46

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 02:30 by His Majesty.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 27, 2013 02:56

His Majesty
JumpinJackOLantern

Totally out of control and I do not love Mick Taylor!

However, he is certainly adding something to their live music when he is onstage. Having him tag along for the whole tour, but only playing on a few songs is quite baffling and seems quite disrespectful and intentionally cruel IMO.

He's there, he's a historically important former member of The Rolling Stones, he is good for the music and onstage spirit and power.

Let him fly on relevant or certain songs from his era, ask him to just play a more supporting role on others. It's got to hurt when he hears them playing songs he contributed to being played without him. It's a blast for the fans having Taylor onstage! Going by the reactions of the other musicians it is for them too.

Please integrate him in to the touring band!

Great post from different (musical, historical and human) angles.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 27, 2013 05:17

kleermaker
His Majesty
JumpinJackOLantern

Totally out of control and I do not love Mick Taylor!

However, he is certainly adding something to their live music when he is onstage. Having him tag along for the whole tour, but only playing on a few songs is quite baffling and seems quite disrespectful and intentionally cruel IMO.

He's there, he's a historically important former member of The Rolling Stones, he is good for the music and onstage spirit and power.

Let him fly on relevant or certain songs from his era, ask him to just play a more supporting role on others. It's got to hurt when he hears them playing songs he contributed to being played without him. It's a blast for the fans having Taylor onstage! Going by the reactions of the other musicians it is for them too.

Please integrate him in to the touring band!

Great post from different (musical, historical and human) angles.

Absolutely, but all these angles don't count for the band. MT is there to sell tickets, for nothing else. They use him, and I would even go so far to say they abuse him.

We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 27, 2013 05:24

bv, why not edit the subject of this thread to read:

"We want Mick Taylor on more than one song more songs please"

This would make sense, since he's been playing 2 songs for a while...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 05:38 by schillid.

Date: May 27, 2013 05:25

For what it's worth he was on stage for approximately 21 minutes last night. More would be better but I am not complaining. It's a miracle he is even up there playing at all.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home