Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Rolling Stones - Echoplex, Los Angeles April 27 (photos, reviews + videos)
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 30, 2013 11:25

Thanks, Dandie. It is a great reminder why Keith - in the end, and after all - is the most striking guitar player I ever seen. Feels so great to recognize that player again. For ages now, Keith has made it so difficult for a fan like me to see the unique brilliance. But it is there. It is the little things that make the huge difference, from posing autopilotism to breathing music.

- Doxa

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: April 30, 2013 11:35

Theodora was there too...

HMN

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 30, 2013 12:02

NedKelly
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Re that "Brown Sugar" clip...

It is really a treasure to listen and watch Keith Richards there. He is really getting better and better gig by gig since he started to play the guitar again. I can't recall when that simple riffage has sounded so cool and groovie. Keeping the rhythm down-down-down with that idiosyncratic timing, and those little tasty runs here and there. No bullshitting - just focused doing the right thing. The biggest rock guitarist in the world with the epitaph - "kids, don't try this at home"... The old "touch" is there, and Keith, for god's sake, is hitting the realm of "cool" again.

I think slowing down the rhythm is a good move for this "matured" band. The song sounds "sexier" than it has for ages.

- Doxa

Every word here is true smileys with beer

I couldn't agree more! thumbs up

Yeah Great, a slowed down version.
very very sexy.
jeroen

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 30, 2013 12:16

GravityBoy
gotdablouse
Found this pic on FB :

Mick and Keith remembering good times and how magic the two were.

Ronnie looking pensive.

In fact.. Ronnie has that look of someone who sees his partner talking to an old boyfriend.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 12:18

Doxa

It is really a treasure to listen and watch Keith Richards there. He is really getting better and better gig by gig since he started to play the guitar again. I can't recall when that simple riffage has sounded so cool and groovie. Keeping the rhythm down-down-down with that idiosyncratic timing, and those little tasty runs here and there. No bullshitting - just focused doing the right thing. The biggest rock guitarist in the world with the epitaph - "kids, don't try this at home"... The old "touch" is there, and Keith, for god's sake, is hitting the realm of "cool" again.

I think slowing down the rhythm is a good move for this "matured" band. The song sounds "sexier" than it has for ages.

- Doxa

eye rolling smiley

Date: April 30, 2013 12:25

GravityBoy
GravityBoy
gotdablouse
Found this pic on FB :

Ronnie looking pensive.

In fact.. Ronnie has that look of someone who sees his partner talking to an old boyfriend.

Three old mates who enjoy playing together again. Other interpretations are kindergarten-talk grinning smiley

Date: April 30, 2013 12:27

DandelionPowderman
GravityBoy
GravityBoy
gotdablouse
Found this pic on FB :

Ronnie looking pensive.

Three old mates who enjoy playing together again. Other interpretations are kindergarten-talk grinning smiley

Keith has that look in his eye.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: April 30, 2013 12:28

VT22
Doxa

- Doxa

eye rolling smiley

Absolutely true! I´m a big fan of those 72/73 shows but don´t like the very fast JJF and SFM, for example on Brussels ... Cool them down, get into the groove, no need for coke-uped songs ...

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 12:34

muenke
VT22
Doxa

- Doxa

eye rolling smiley

Absolutely true! I´m a big fan of those 72/73 shows but don´t like the very fast JJF and SFM, for example on Brussels ... Cool them down, get into the groove, no need for coke-uped songs ...

smileys with beer

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 30, 2013 12:46

stonesdan60
muenke
VT22
Doxa

- Doxa

eye rolling smiley

smileys with beer

confused smiley

Date: April 30, 2013 12:53

DandelionPowderman
GravityBoy
GravityBoy
gotdablouse
Found this pic on FB :

Ronnie looking pensive.

It's kindergarten actually, if you get my point. But it's great to see they get that much recognition for what they have done in the past.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 30, 2013 13:07

VT22
DandelionPowderman
GravityBoy
GravityBoy
gotdablouse
Found this pic on FB :

Ronnie looking pensive.

It's kindergarten actually, if you get my point. But it's great to see they get that much recognition for what they have done in the past.

They get recognition for what they have done in the past and in present as well.
Therefore I don´t get your point.

Thanks to all of you for sharing those pics,clips,reports,whatever...

Date: April 30, 2013 13:25

shortfatfanny
VT22
DandelionPowderman
GravityBoy
GravityBoy
gotdablouse
Found this pic on FB :

Ronnie looking pensive.

They get recognition for what they have done in the past and in present as well.
Therefore I don´t get your point.

Thanks to all of you for sharing those pics,clips,reports,whatever...

Oh yes, and in the present, I forgot that in my post.
I was referring to the musical level, which imo is below the level a band with self respect should keep up, from what Ive heard over the last half year so far. But maybe it's just me who is suffering from nostalgia, not the bigger audience.

Date: April 30, 2013 14:20

stonesdan60
muenke
VT22
Doxa

- Doxa

eye rolling smiley

smileys with beer

It's all about the swing, which tend to get lost in the speeded up versions. The energy is still there in the sweaty, beautiful BS-clip from LA - brilliant! thumbs up

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 14:24

Ah, so he came back from Russia, great news.

Date: April 30, 2013 14:36

muenke
VT22
Doxa

- Doxa

eye rolling smiley

I love those speed "coke-uped" road versions of the 70's - they really made the songs fly - but the band simply doesn't have the needed energy and vitality any longer to do something like that. That was young man's high octane music, but this slowed down attitude suits better to their recent condition. I like it better than the hundreds autopilot versions they run through the Vegas Era. I guess it did good for them to rest some five years or so and rethink their music, and their attitude towards their war horses material. Especially it seemingly did good for Keith to "re-learn" to play again, and re-discover where he is good at and where is not. He left the caricature pirate character to Depp and Disney, and offered us Keith the musician. Of course as a player he is a shadow of his past glory, but there is that purity, honesty and no bullshitting attitude which works damn fine to this fan. Even his fingers do not work as they used to do, his mind does, and with his natural talent and intuition, that does get us quite far...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-30 14:38 by Doxa.

Date: April 30, 2013 14:44

DandelionPowderman
It's all about the swing, which tend to get lost in the speeded up versions. The energy is still there in the sweaty, beautiful BS-clip from LA - brilliant! thumbs up

I disagree here. The 1972/73 speed/coked up versions were all about swing. They just made the songs fly - and that's the world record still holding in that genre! That's high octane stuff no any other band ever have come close, not even the Stones.

- Doxa

Date: April 30, 2013 14:51

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

I disagree here. The 1972/73 speed/coked up versions were all about swing. They just made the songs fly - and that's the world record still holding in that genre! That's high octane stuff no any other band ever have come close, not even the Stones.

- Doxa

They were all about energy, not swing. When The Whip Comes Down from Hampton swings, JJF from L&G don't, even though the latter is dripping with energy.

It's the same with MR on Ya Ya's vs. MR on Brussels Affair as well. The former swings insanely, the latter is a frantic explosion, but the swing is simply not there. The tempo took it away.

That said, I really like the MR-version from Brussels as well. However, the best part is indeed when they slow it down in the middle.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-30 14:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 30, 2013 15:06

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

They were all about energy, not swing. When The Whip Comes Down from Hampton swings, JJF from L&G don't, even though the latter is dripping with energy.

It's the same with MR on Ya Ya's vs. MR on Brussels Affair as well. The former swings insanely, the latter is a frantic explosion, but the swing is simply not there. The tempo took it away.

That said, I really like the MR-version from Brussels as well. However, the best part is indeed when they slow it down in the middle.

Hell not! The way Keith, Bill and Charlie co-work in their best 1972/73 versions of "Brown Sugar" and "Flash" - or, say, "Street Fighting Man", "Midnight Rambler" - is pure swing. That the platform is speed-up should not hide the natural groove they have going on. That's why I call it "world record" - the lesser bands should not even try to take part in that game: play your asses off, with killer speed, and still have the swing going on. That's really something "don't even dare to try this at home..."

- Doxa

Date: April 30, 2013 15:21

"the term swing is used to describe the sense of propulsive rhythmic "feel" or "groove" created by the musical interaction between the performers, especially when the music creates a "visceral response" such as feet-tapping or head-nodding"

Should we change it to "head-banging"? winking smiley

Like Mick Jagger says: "You gotta be able to dance to it..."

Date: April 30, 2013 15:44

DandelionPowderman
"the term swing is used to describe the sense of propulsive rhythmic "feel" or "groove" created by the musical interaction between the performers, especially when the music creates a "visceral response" such as feet-tapping or head-nodding"

Ha! As a child of punk generation, it doesn't ask me much to dance to Brussels "Brown Sugar"... Can you even listen to BRUSSELS AFFAIR without your whole body starting to move and shake according to the groove of the music? That it is fast, it doesn't make any less "swing" or "groove"....

To describe the band in its hottest nights in 1972/73 we need higher physics.. The energy used there will go according to the following formula:

E=swing2

It's all about swing, man!

tongue sticking out smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-30 15:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: April 30, 2013 15:45

GravityBoy
DandelionPowderman
GravityBoy
GravityBoy
gotdablouse
Found this pic on FB :

Ronnie looking pensive.

Yes, but I think MT isn´t looking at KR, perhaps to MJ?

Date: April 30, 2013 15:52

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Ha! As a child of punk generation, it doesn't ask me much to dance to Brussels "Brown Sugar"... Can you even listen to BRUSSELS AFFAIR without your whole body starting to move and shake according to the groove of the music. That it is fast, it doesn't make any less "swing" or "groove"....

The describe the band in its hottest nights in 1972/73 we need higher physics.. The energy used there will go according to the following formula:

E=swing2

It's all about swing, man!

tongue sticking out smiley

- Doxa

I need that bass rolling to make it swing properly for me. Speeding it up is an old trick to shake up the audience a bit, that's true. But listen to Carol and Little Queenie on Ya Ya's and then compare with the fast versions from 72/73.

No matter how good the latter songs are (and they are indeed!), you don't have to be a rocket scientist to notice the difference in groove, swing and rhythmic feel.

My guess is that they didn't play those songs that fast to make them swing - they were coked up smiling smiley

Date: April 30, 2013 15:52

muenke
GravityBoy
DandelionPowderman
GravityBoy
GravityBoy
gotdablouse
Found this pic on FB :

Ronnie looking pensive.

Yes, but I think MT isn´t looking at KR, perhaps to MJ?

MT: "Chuck, am I allowed to play a lick now?"

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 16:03

VT22
Doxa

- Doxa

eye rolling smiley

Wow, I thought just the opposite. It was once an in-your-face guitar driven song. Keith seems content to let the rest of the band drive it. Ronnie adds nothing. But Keith and Ronnie do strike some great poses. The show looks like it had more photo ops than guitar.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 30, 2013 16:22

Doxa
I like it better than the hundreds autopilot versions they run through the Vegas Era....................................

- Doxa

Now I want to ask: Shall we take this, Doxa, that you consider the Stones to have moved past a Vegas Era and entered a post-Vegas Era, all according to your terminology?

Date: April 30, 2013 16:23

DandelionPowderman

I need that bass rolling to make it swing properly for me. Speeding it up is an old trick to shake up the audience a bit, that's true. But listen to Carol and Little Queenie on Ya Ya's and then compare with the fast versions from 72/73.

No matter how good the latter songs are (and they are indeed!), you don't have to be a rocket scientist to notice the difference in groove, swing and rhythmic feel.

My guess is that they didn't play those songs that fast to make them swing - they were coked up smiling smiley

Sorry, but I don't think any swing dancer will dance on the Rolling Stones, even on Little Queenie or Casino Boogie or Rip this joint. There's indeed some "visceral response" and some nice rythm coming out of it, but that's not properly "swing", but that may be from the same family.

They will dance to Charlie Watts playing with the ABCD of Boogie-woogie, there is swing there, and that's why Charlie plays in that band.

Date: April 30, 2013 16:28

Why on earth wouldn't they dance to Rip This Joint? I can give you two reasons: Vulgarity and sex. But that's not a musical ground.

Translating the jazz-swing literally into rock'n'roll is a bit problematic, even though there are some paralells. In rock'n'roll you get short glimpses and small passages that equal the jazz-swing. That's why it swings so much - you're left shouting for more, instead of getting an overload of it, if you get my drift?

Date: April 30, 2013 16:32

The Stones didn't swing.. they wobbled.

I think that's what Bill said.

Date: April 30, 2013 16:34

I don't think sex is the problem, people danced to boogie and there was sex and vulgarity there too.

First, without a proper double-bass something is missing to get that "swing" feel... I guess if Bill HaLey had played Little Queenie for instance, there would be more swing than in any Stones' version. That doesn't mean it would be better though.

But that's an interesting topic, to know what rythm really is and how it prompts people to jive/jump/swing/roll/stomp/sit down/shake/headbang...

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2140
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home