Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Rolling Stones - Echoplex, Los Angeles April 27 (photos + reviews)
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 29, 2013 01:43

jeffkravitz
Rolling Stones are the best club band ever. Amazing show def worth $20

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 29, 2013 02:32

This is wonderful. Thank you

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 29, 2013 02:41

Rolling Hansie
This is wonderful. Thank you

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: April 29, 2013 03:31

Rolling Stones rock little L.A. club to preview big tour

The band previewed Friday's tour launch with a fiery 90-minute warm-up show at the small Echoplex club in Los Angeles

Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY April 28, 2013

LOS ANGELES For 500 lucky fans squeezed into the tiny Echoplex Saturday night, it was a gas, gas, gas.

The Rolling Stones, set to kick of their 50 and Counting tour Friday at the Staples Center, performed an energetic 90-minute warm-up show at the club tucked in the Echo Park neighborhood after announcing the gig on Twitter early Saturday. Admission? $20.

About 2,000 fans swarmed the El Rey theater for a ticket lottery at 1 p.m. Buyers were required to show ID, wear a wristband bearing their names and be photographed. Their identities were verified at the door. Cameras and cell phones were forbidden.

The band blasted through a dozen songs before returning to wrap up with Brown Sugar and Jumpin' Jack Flash. Rock classics dominated. They also turned in covers of Chuck Berry's Little Queenie, Otis Redding's That's How Strong My Love Is, The Temptations' Just My Imagination and their signature arrangement of Robert Johnson's Love in Vain.

Jagger characterized the surprise gig "the first show of the tour, probably the best one."

After a raucous Respectable, he quipped, "Welcome to Echo Park, a neighborhood that's always coming up, and I'm glad you're here to welcome an up-and-coming band."

Jagger, guitarists Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood and drummer Charlie Watts were joined by bassist Darryl Jones, saxist Bobby Keys and backup singers Lisa Fischer and Bernard Fowler. Former Stones guitarist Mick Taylor played on Love in Vain and Midnight Rambler.

Among the attendees: Johnny Depp, Maria Shriver, Brian Grazer, Bobby Shriver, Bruce Willis, Rachel Hunter, Dave Stewart, Gwen Stefani, Skrillex, Green Day's Mike Dirnt, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, British cricketer Geoffrey Arnold, fashion designer Hedi Slimane and film producer Steve Bing.

Before leaving the stage, Jagger said, "You've been a fantastic audience. You've given us hope, love and understanding."

The set list:

You Got Me Rocking

Respectable

She's So Cold

Live With Me

Street Fighting Man

That's How Strong My Love Is

Little Queenie

Just My Imagination

Miss You

Love In Vain

Midnight Rambler

Start Me Up

Brown Sugar

[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 29, 2013 05:10

Even on a thread like this we get sarcasm about Daryl's bass and half the people don't know who Mick Taylor is. This was the Rolling Stones in a 700 capacity dance club I would kill to be in there!! You people who continue to criticsize STFU!!!!! It is really growing tiresome!!!

Date: April 29, 2013 05:14

This is the thread I go to 4 Echo show. (The Sticky thread is cranky.) Good pictures. Do I want to know where that phone has been 2 make it inside?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 29, 2013 06:18

Any pics of Mick T from the show last night?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 29, 2013 07:59

Thanks for starting this thread, maybe you can add links to videos in the first message, there is one of BS on YT now with its separate thread.

So yes, hope we gets pics/vids with Taylor soon, they must be out there!

Date: April 29, 2013 10:51

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-29 11:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 29, 2013 12:08

BS is a good bit slower than used to
At 0:38 Jagger looks like he almost wants to give Keith a shove.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 29, 2013 12:11

Palace Revolution 2000

It's EXACTLY the same tempo as the studio version.

Spot on.

They nearly always did it too fast live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-29 12:12 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 29, 2013 13:41

Some great reviews thanks for posting............

Date: April 29, 2013 14:08

Superb pictures, gives a sense of the intimacy of the venue, what a gig to have been at!

Date: April 29, 2013 14:36

From illustrator Franki Chan:

The Rolling Stones played Check Yo Ponytail last night at Echoplex and this is the poster I made for it. : )

Posted by: roby ()
Date: April 29, 2013 14:50

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 29, 2013 15:20

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 29, 2013 15:23

bye bye johnny
Rolling Stones invade Echo Park, perform an hour of classics

By Randall Roberts Los Angeles Times Pop Music Critic

April 28, 2013, 11:24 a.m.

During 50 years of performing, the Rolling Stones have done some peach gigs: They’ve stood before Hells Angels at Altamont, sold out Wembley Stadium and Madison Square Garden, gigged the Palladium in Hollywood, at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium for "The T.A.M.I. Show" and countless rounds at the Forum. Until Saturday night, though, the band had never played Echo Park.

In a surprise gig described early in the set by Stones singer/dancer/showman Mick Jagger as “the first show of our North American tour,” the band played the Echoplex, a basement club with a capacity of 650. In the crowd were friends, family and a few hundred lucky, patient fans who’d won a ticket lottery earlier in the day.

I am a very fortunate Rolling Stones fan, and watched from a peach spot just in front of the sound board as the London band, currently celebrating 50 years as a unit, performed 60 minutes' worth of classic material that focused on their work from the late 1960s through the early ‘80s, including “Love in Vain,” “Street Fighting Man,” “Respectable” and “Miss You.”

They did so on an extended stage that cut the Echoplex’s dance floor by half, so the Stones gig felt even smaller than those who know the venue might expect. When Jagger splashed some of his drinking water into the crowd, I got drenched — and then like any true fan, wiped the water all over my head, licked my lips to get some into my mouth. (This morning I feel like I’ve got some of Jagger’s DNA in my system.)

When Keith Richards, bandanna wrapped around his shock of gray hair and with gold hoop earrings, stepped up to hit the classic opening riff of “Start Me Up,” he did so with a force that knows no age, filled with power, confidence and the pure spirit of a man who has internalized blues, rhythm & blues, rock & roll and country. His six strings sent shock after shock through the venue.

Ditto Ron Wood, whose physique is as lithe and lean as his guitar lines; during “Street Fighting Man,” he worked with as much inspired physicality as in his days with the Faces.

The band’s been oiling the machine at a rehearsal space in the Valley, and the set had the feel of a final dress rehearsal for its upcoming tour, which starts Friday at Staples Center — capacity 19,000.

In the same way it’s unfair to critique the soft opening of a restaurant, this Stones gig at the Echoplex isn’t the one to review — that’ll come on Friday — but it is one that needs to be documented. After all, how many more times will the band be playing such a small space?

The set’s highlights were when the band stretched its material, and on three occasions these expansions thrilled the Echoplex. To see the Stones perform their classic dance-floor stomper “Miss You” on a Saturday night in a tight, sweaty space was as thrilling as you’d imagine. Bassist Darryl Jones pushed the rhythm, and his smooth solo was funkier than Bill Wyman’s original. Jagger pushed the crowd to sing along to his "oooh"-filled chorus, and the room did so willingly.

The Stones’ former guitarist Mick Taylor has been doing gigs with the band of late, and on Saturday he arrived for two of the evening’s most bluesy numbers: “Love in Vain,” the Robert Johnson-penned song that the Stones (with Taylor) covered on “Let It Bleed.” To watch Wood, Richards and Taylor work the blues was to witness three great guitarists tap into the depths.

As they’ve done for years, the Stones brought backing vocalists Bernard Fowler and Lisa Fischer to harmonize with Jagger, and keyboardist Chuck Leavell resurrected the late Ian Stewart’s piano runs like a mystic.

Equally deep was “Midnight Rambler,” which Jagger presented with as much menacing energy as ever. Again, with the three guitarists working a chunky blues progression, the band delivered both big volume and energy; these didn’t seem like 70-odd-year-old men but vessels for a music that is as timeless in 2013 as when the Stones were starting out.

And any mention of time must acknowledge the metronomic Charlie Watts, a man whose jazz-inspired drumming offered typical consistency. Equally adept at the disco rhythms of “Miss You” and “She’s So Cold” and the rock of “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” and “Brown Sugar” — both of which the band performed in its encore — Watts continued his uninterrupted reign as rock’s most measured drummer.

How was the gig? How the hell do you think it was? It was the Stones in a little club, and for most in attendance, a dream come true.

That's how it was.

[www.latimes.com]

This old typo on the front, the very old BMW and the old motorcycle make me think the show was in 70's smiling smiley

Mick seems in great shape. Almost 70... amazing. The diet must be something

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-29 15:26 by toomuchforme.

Re: Rolling Stones - Echoplex, Los Angeles April 27 (photos, reviews + videos)
Date: April 29, 2013 15:55

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 29, 2013 16:14

They looked and sounded Great !!
Jeroen

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 29, 2013 16:46

Palace Revolution 2000
At 0:38 Jagger looks like he almost wants to give Keith a shove.

Well it wasn't exactly yesterday they played this song at proper speed. All the 2012 versions were exactly as slow and untight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-29 16:48 by EasterMan.

Date: April 29, 2013 16:49

Slow and TIGHT, you mean, obviously?

If not, I'd like to hear your musical grounds for calling this untight...

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 29, 2013 16:54

DandelionPowderman

This version is both slow and tight. Mostly because of Charlie's great drumming.

BTW, I've been playing guitar for about 15 years.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 17:04

There is a picture of Darryl Jones in front of a mic WHAT THE F******

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 29, 2013 17:07

headly123

You've never noticed that Chuck and Darryl are singing the "Hey, Hey" part in You Got Me Rocking? Just an example...

Date: April 29, 2013 17:19

EasterMan
DandelionPowderman

This version is both slow and tight. Mostly because of Charlie's great drumming.

Yep.

Great.

Date: April 29, 2013 17:19

EasterMan
DandelionPowderman

So? What is untight about the Echoplex version? To me it sounds even tighter than the clip you posted, mainly due to Charlie AND Keith.

Your guitar experience doesn't count here. If it did, I would have been dead right winking smiley

Date: April 29, 2013 17:20

headly123

He was singing through the entire Trabendo-show, even on Whip, Miss You and Shattered.

Date: April 29, 2013 17:25

DandelionPowderman
EasterMan
DandelionPowderman

So? What is untight about the Echoplex version? To me it sounds even tighter than the clip you posted, mainly due to Charlie AND Keith.

Your guitar experience doesn't count here. If it did, I would have been dead right winking smiley

The Echoplex sounds good to me as well.

The sound quality is crap on the clip we have, can't hear Charlie properly, I bet it was great to be there.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 29, 2013 17:26

EasterMan
DandelionPowderman

Well that's like comparing apples & oranges eye rolling smiley

the Olympia gig from FF was recorded professional and treated in the studio for DVD release.
this one is raw material with the sound from the cam (whatever that was!)
get real man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-29 22:26 by open-g.

Date: April 29, 2013 17:30

Studio verion (TOTP backing track) = 126 bpm
Echoplex = 126 bpm
Olympia de Paris = 129 bpm
1972 = 137 bpm
Love You Live = 147 bpm !!!!!!!!!

I am the bpm man.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home