Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Poor ticket sales to jeopardize fall US tour leg??
Posted by: daytime ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:24

If they do a fall tour prices have to go down! $600 is too much for floor! It's ridiculous, they don't need all that money so why charge it. They are not going out on a high note...

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:30

BluzDude
DaveG
Just read this quote by MJ from the '69 tour:

And Jagger defended the high ticket price of $7.50, saying: “We aren’t doing this tour for money, but because we want to play America and have a lot of fun. We’re really not into that sort of economic scene. I mean, either you’re gonna sing and all that crap or you’re gonna be a @#$%& economist. We’re sorry people can’t afford to come. We don’t know that this tour is more expensive. You’ll have to tell us.”

My, how times have changed!!!!

Yup! That was the moment in Rock history when the most expensive seats went from $6.50 to $7.50 ... what a rip off!

Actually VIP seats in L.A. cost $12.50 that year. My dad took us. We were in the twelfth row.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:32

They need to fix those prices to fill seats. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:35

TeddyB1018
BluzDude
DaveG
Just read this quote by MJ from the '69 tour:

And Jagger defended the high ticket price of $7.50, saying: “We aren’t doing this tour for money, but because we want to play America and have a lot of fun. We’re really not into that sort of economic scene. I mean, either you’re gonna sing and all that crap or you’re gonna be a @#$%& economist. We’re sorry people can’t afford to come. We don’t know that this tour is more expensive. You’ll have to tell us.”

My, how times have changed!!!!

Yup! That was the moment in Rock history when the most expensive seats went from $6.50 to $7.50 ... what a rip off!

Actually VIP seats in L.A. cost $12.50 that year. My dad took us. We were in the twelfth row.

Adjusted for inflation, that's still only about $80 in today's money.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:35

The Stones pay is guaranteed. Probably already paid. There will not be any empty seats come show time either.

Date: April 26, 2013 06:38

RollingFreak
JumpinJackOLantern
RollingFreak
JumpinJackOLantern
They should have ended their mega dollar days on a high note last December 15 and went directly to the studio and recorded a new album. They should have resumed touring in late 2013 on a new album but with significantly reduced ticket prices. Their overall legacy is beginning to take some hits.
No one wants to hear a new album from them. Least of all casual fans. They have enough to satisfy everyone at this point, yet they choose to just stay with the hits.

History demands a new album! Their legacy demands one! I could give a rip about what some high roller casual fan wants! They should be doing everything to close out their careers in style!

They closed out their career in style with A Bigger Bang. That was a good album that I wholeheartedly stand by. I don't know why it gets a bad rap. I can only imagine you are joking with all the "they are afraid to not play warhorses" threads and "the legacy demands" a new album from them. Both you and I know thats not true. If anything, history tells us a new album can only further hurt their reputation, as to many they haven't had an album thats "added" to their career since Tattoo You, possibly even Some Girls. Its enjoyable to read your posts, but I don't take any of them seriously.

I don't think they have ever produced a "bad" album. It's just that ABB wasn't the album to end a career on. If the Some Girls bonus tracks had been released as a new album then I could see them riding off into the sunset and claiming the title of greatest rock 'n roll band of all time. But there is still some work to do and the good news is that they are still upright and fully capable of delivering that one last great album. The choice is their's really. They can close out repeating themselves and cashing big checks or they can buckle down and go out in style.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:45

jazzbass
The Stones pay is guaranteed. Probably already paid. There will not be any empty seats come show time either.

We'll see....grinning smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 26, 2013 17:30

Max'sKansasCity
Oh, you mean this one...yeah that is... uhm...
well.... I cant bring myself to diss the King.

Thanks...You know I couldn't handle that

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: April 26, 2013 17:55

Max'sKansasCity
24FPS
This could get interesting. Empty seats? How will that be reported? Rolling Stone magazine would have jumped on that in the past, but are now so buddy buddy with Mick that they'd probably ignore it. I think they've totally miscalculated the depth of the economic misery in the States. People are being very tight with the purse.

It really could get interesting.
What if they start collasping prices?
That might piss off people who paid up, not that it should, I mean if some rich fkr has 6 billion Dollars to blow on tickets, does that change just because most people are broke these days? It could get interesting.

I don't care what they do to fill the building - empty seats at a Stones' concert is embarrassing. Jagger may have his guaranteed pay day - but he doesn't want to play to empty seats in an arena.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 26, 2013 18:03

Shawn20
Max'sKansasCity
24FPS
This could get interesting. Empty seats? How will that be reported? Rolling Stone magazine would have jumped on that in the past, but are now so buddy buddy with Mick that they'd probably ignore it. I think they've totally miscalculated the depth of the economic misery in the States. People are being very tight with the purse.

It really could get interesting.
What if they start collasping prices?
That might piss off people who paid up, not that it should, I mean if some rich fkr has 6 billion Dollars to blow on tickets, does that change just because most people are broke these days? It could get interesting.

I don't care what they do to fill the building - empty seats at a Stones' concert is embarrassing. Jagger may have his guaranteed pay day - but he doesn't want to play to empty seats in an arena.

I play to empty seats all the time...it only hurts me when I cry

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 26, 2013 18:16

flacnvinyl
I will be very curious to see what happens with these shows. If ticket sales are as terrible as they appear, something major will have to happen. Putting another 1000 tickets out will help, but I am genuinely curious how many seats are actually available. If they have another 6000 to sell, who knows...

The $600 seats END at center court. Everything on the floor and lower bowl forward are the even more expensive Silver, Gold and so-called hospitality packages starting at $900. I too share your curiosity.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 26, 2013 18:19

R
flacnvinyl
I will be very curious to see what happens with these shows. If ticket sales are as terrible as they appear, something major will have to happen. Putting another 1000 tickets out will help, but I am genuinely curious how many seats are actually available. If they have another 6000 to sell, who knows...

The $600 seats END at center court. Everything on the floor and lower bowl forward are the even more expensive Silver, Gold and so-called hospitality packages starting at $900. I too share your curiosity.

I've pulled up seats real close to the stage @$600 at several venues...but they were all single seats.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 26, 2013 18:22

As I posted April 6:

Re: THE STONES 2013
Date: April 6, 2013 16:31

Given I can pull up just about any seat/pit type for any U.S shows that have been on general sale for 24hrs on Ticketmaster it seems the pricing model may be....broken?

Seems the public have gone "stop, we'll think about this"....rather than just diving in?

Still seems to be the case....

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: April 26, 2013 18:49

I paid $15 for front row seats from a scalper to see the Eagles one time. My friends thought was nuts . We were sitting around one night having some herbal refreshment and remembered that were playing so we just thought what the hell. Let's just go and get some seats and listen so some music and ended up front. Funny thing was when we were hanging out waiting for the opening act some guy starting talking to us. Just nice chit chat. Then he left and a few minutes later the lights went down and the opening act came on. WE were sitting there listening and I turned to my friends and said. Hey weren't we just talking to that guy ? Turns out it was Jimmy Buffett. Go figure. He gave us a nod and played a nice set. Anyway times have changed and the Stones haven't stopped screwing their fans for years now. This Forum is full of posts about people talking about ticket prices. Ten and fifteen years ago when they started their Vegas Stage act people bought into it because they thought this is it. The last tour. So they went along with it. Well now the economy sucks and the prices went up to see them and I don't know for sure that everyone is buying into one. They may fill the arenas but only with corporate and other people with various methods . Because I am not paying $185 to sit in the rafters. One that is BS and two I am afraid of heights.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 26, 2013 19:36

headly123
I paid $15 for front row seats from a scalper to see the Eagles one time. My friends thought was nuts . We were sitting around one night having some herbal refreshment and remembered that were playing so we just thought what the hell. Let's just go and get some seats and listen so some music and ended up front. Funny thing was when we were hanging out waiting for the opening act some guy starting talking to us. Just nice chit chat. Then he left and a few minutes later the lights went down and the opening act came on. WE were sitting there listening and I turned to my friends and said. Hey weren't we just talking to that guy ? Turns out it was Jimmy Buffett. Go figure. He gave us a nod and played a nice set. Anyway times have changed and the Stones haven't stopped screwing their fans for years now. This Forum is full of posts about people talking about ticket prices. Ten and fifteen years ago when they started their Vegas Stage act people bought into it because they thought this is it. The last tour. So they went along with it. Well now the economy sucks and the prices went up to see them and I don't know for sure that everyone is buying into one. They may fill the arenas but only with corporate and other people with various methods . Because I am not paying $185 to sit in the rafters. One that is BS and two I am afraid of heights.

Great story!! And I agree with you on all points. They will always be my favorite band, I just wish they could be reasonable when touring. Makes you really wish Cohl was back at the helm..

I think folks are beginning to sour on them due to the ticket issue. Many people will see them as just greedy jerks from here on out.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 26, 2013 19:37

bitusa2012
As I posted April 6:

Re: THE STONES 2013
Date: April 6, 2013 16:31

Given I can pull up just about any seat/pit type for any U.S shows that have been on general sale for 24hrs on Ticketmaster it seems the pricing model may be....broken?

Seems the public have gone "stop, we'll think about this"....rather than just diving in?

Still seems to be the case....

Rgds
Rod
Perth

yep. A week to go until opening night and L.A. is still only half sold...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 28, 2013 23:57

Max'sKansasCity
sweetcharmedlife
Max'sKansasCity
flacnvinyl
Max you are killing me over here.

The other hidden question is whether there will be a flood of refunds to the $85 tickets if the chart above is true.. I can say I would really consider it...

Well if they sold a 1000 per show, and if the pink seats are in hell, that still leaves a bunch of $85.00 tix in other areas. I bet 10-20 in the pit, and the rest scattered. I am heart broken this is coming up and they are too far away from me to play...... anyway....

I bet we hear $85.00tix stories from people all over the place, with the balance being positve, thus keeping refunds to a minimum. I also bet even if the tickets were marked $85.00 in the attic/rafters, people would buy them.... I just hope people who are placed up there in hell know that they can pull a Milton/Nicholas Cage and Drive Angry and escape, although the accountant/usher may be close behind... just keep moving/driving

Drake, I bet you are either in the pit, or just off stage right... or both, one for each show you attend. Go Johnny GO!!! JOHNNY B GOODE!

btw-
"Drive Angry",
the best bad movie in a long long time, it is so horrilbe that it is awesome.
That seating cahrt looked big enough for 1000 people.Their will probably be very few out of those areas.

See that name and it is predictable; a short, curt, nasty, pessimistic comment.

I thought curt was a Spanish speaking gentleman? He's short too?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 29, 2013 00:09

headly123
I am not paying $185 to sit in the rafters. One that is BS and two I am afraid of heights.

grinning smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 29, 2013 00:34

Its absurd - Staples Center, almost no section is sold out.
If you choose 4 tickets, you get access to almost all sections - that means lots of seats left.
A pity they ruin their market.
On the day of the consert, the remaining tickets will be sold for nothing, but then why not lower the ticket prices already from day 1 - selle them in the Price range 85-150 USD????

Date: April 29, 2013 03:42

flacnvinyl
headly123

Great story!! And I agree with you on all points. They will always be my favorite band, I just wish they could be reasonable when touring. Makes you really wish Cohl was back at the helm..

I think folks are beginning to sour on them due to the ticket issue. Many people will see them as just greedy jerks from here on out.

Yeah the good old day with Cohl, where I only paid $450 for tickets!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 1, 2013 23:59

Yep... fall tour and all future tours are jeopardized as they don't need the money and will loose interest if they can't charge crazy prices anymore ... Hyde Park might be the end of the line.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 2, 2013 02:05

flacnvinyl
Dan, you da man.

In all seriousness, I am still completely dumbfounded by their pricing. $600 a seat. $600 PER SEAT!! So many people wanted to go see them this tour. It is not a matter of 'oh just sell something, just dip into savings this ONE time'... At $1200 a pair, you are thinking of other things to do with that money.

With the lottery seats I am taking a risk that I will sit in the worst seats in the house. Very likely, and also the ONLY way I can take my wife to see her first show. She still jokes about how we 'better be in the pit', with full knowledge that we can't afford anything above $150/seat. So we'll be in the upper deck OOrrr... still the upper deck. HA!

The way ticket sales are I think the people will be pleasantly surprised with the $85 seats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 02:09 by No Expectations.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 2, 2013 02:07

BluzDude
R
flacnvinyl

I've pulled up seats real close to the stage @$600 at several venues...but they were all single seats.

I saw pairs in row 7 today for San Jose

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 2, 2013 02:18

No Expectations
BluzDude
R
flacnvinyl

I saw pairs in row 7 today for San Jose

sets of 2 and 4 seats close to stage (lowest level, side of stage) on sale for oakland.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 2, 2013 02:30

No promoter will ever book The Stones,guaranteeing them x amount of money ever again,they may make a deal of a % of ticket sales,but that's about it,but don't worry after this fiasco,no more Rolling Stones...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: May 2, 2013 03:09

I'm surprised the American media is being so kind to them and covering this up in a way. If they came to Australia charging these prices, they'd barely sell a ticket and the media would (rightfully so) run them out of town.

Bon Jovi (whom I despise) announced an Australia tour yesterday, with tickets starting at $35. If they can afford to do that, then what gives?

Date: May 2, 2013 03:41

ROPENI
No promoter will ever book The Stones,guaranteeing them x amount of money ever again,they may make a deal of a % of ticket sales,but that's about it,but don't worry after this fiasco,no more Rolling Stones...

I fear this is actually what could happen

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 2, 2013 03:45

Good Lawd.
Bunch of drama queens if you ask me.

Arena's will be (mostly) full.
Record profits for the size of tour will be recorded.

And everyone will talk about how the Stones took the scalpers and secondary market
out of the equation by charging what they used to.

And long-time fans like me, will get in for $85 as icing on the cake.

See y'all at several of the venue's for this tour and again next fall
when the do another.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:09

BluzDude

The question is, would they take a reduction for future shows, or just call it quits?

I don't see them hitting the riverboat casino circuit after this tour...I think this is it.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:19

This shouldn't really be too big of a shock though. When the prices came out in 2012, that was a shock. This is one last big cash grab then off they go until they want more cash.

There's a reason they didn't tour from 2006-2012. It didn't interest them. It likely still doesn't based on the pricing and the "you travel to them" strategy. They are doing it for cash and so that you can see them one last time.

I think they could play again but, it would be when they want to, where they want to, and for how much they want to. If those terms don't work, it won't happen.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home