Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Mick Jagger: ‘Fans don’t want a new Rolling Stones album’
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 16, 2013 07:51

This is simple for me: I want a good album. I don't want or need a bad or disposable album. My personal reaction after hearing Doom and Gloom and the other one was not "Wow! I'd love ten more like that!". But that's just me.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 16, 2013 07:52

I believe there is a lot of unfinished tracks they could fix up and release, like Tattoo You. Funny, Mick has avoided "nostalgia" and now he's right in the middle of it. Something doesn't make sense here. Really hope they will put out one more masterpiece. I think they're very capable of doing it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 16, 2013 07:55

frankotero
I believe there is a lot of unfinished tracks they could fix up and release, like Tattoo You. Funny, Mick has avoided "nostalgia" and now he's right in the middle of it. Something doesn't make sense here. Really hope they will put out one more masterpiece. I think they're very capable of doing it.

That's the contradiction with Mick. On the one hand he hates to revel in nostalgia, on the other he's scared to death someone will be bored if he plays any lesser-known material. Poor guy.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 16, 2013 09:59

71Tele
frankotero

That's the contradiction with Mick. On the one hand he hates to revel in nostalgia, on the other he's scared to death someone will be bored if he plays any lesser-known material. Poor guy.

That's what I think too, he's been made a slave by the public to his 25/30 year old self........

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 16, 2013 10:20

EddieByword
71Tele
frankotero

That's what I think too, he's been made a slave by the public to his 25/30 year old self........

That's the irony of super stardom and wealthiness. Jagger is artistically driven to a little corner within which he can not much do, if he wants remain as a big shot. And due to his financial success (and greed), he cannot even spend more time than three months in his home country. He has given a lot of his freedoms away, which is funny concidering his generation's ideals back at the day. But I guess he hights the pros over cons in the long run...

There is an interesting moral lesson there I think if one little digs up.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-16 10:22 by Doxa.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 16, 2013 10:47

Doxa
EddieByword
71Tele
frankotero

That's the irony of super stardom and wealthiness. Jagger is artistically driven to a little corner within which he can not much do, if he wants remain as a big shot. And due to his financial success (and greed), he cannot even spend more time than three months in his home country. He has given a lot of his freedoms away, which is funny concidering his generation's ideals back at the day. But I guess he hights the pros over cons in the long run...

- Doxa

As you say though it's not total, he's done 4 solo albums and that album Superheavy, (& some realatively poor performing films, The Nightingale & Bent.....eye popping smiley) if it was just about accumulating money he probably wouldn't have bothered after She's the boss.....but yes, that's overally that's right, if he wants any real prominence he's definitely channeled...........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-16 10:48 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 16, 2013 10:50

it's true because I want dozens of new Rolling Stones Albums...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 16, 2013 10:54

EddieByword
Doxa
EddieByword
71Tele
frankotero

- Doxa

As you say though it's not total, he's done 4 solo albums and that album Superheavy, (& some realatively poor performing films, The Nightingale & Bent.....eye popping smiley) if it was just about accumulating money he probably wouldn't have bothered after She's the boss.....but yes, that's overally that's right, if he wants any real prominence he's definitely channeled...........

You forgot "The Man from Elysium Fields".

Date: April 16, 2013 11:01

And Alfie.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 16, 2013 11:04

In line with the spirit of the short touring arrangements for 2013, perhaps the Stones should do a couple of 4 track EPs phased over say 15 months rather than commit themselves to recording a 12-15 track album?

Date: April 16, 2013 11:04

I'd like dozens of new Stones albums too. Suppose that makes me greedy as well, but at a much smaller and different level I would say. Still, I love The Stones for all the enjoyment they've given, though it seems they're going to hold out on us from this point forward.

Date: April 16, 2013 11:10

Father Ted
In line with the spirit of the short touring arrangements for 2013, perhaps the Stones should do a couple of 4 track EPs phased over say 15 months rather than commit themselves to recording a 12-15 track album?

Or a 9-10 track album

Date: April 16, 2013 11:11

I think there is a bit of artistic vanity in Jagger. He has this great drive to look forward, stay contemporary and all that - at least that sounds like his will to be like that - but he actually has lost the touch with the times, and is not willing to admit that he is an old fart. He sounds arrogant to other people who seem to admit that frankly, including his fans. But I think the problem is that Jagger has not since SOME GIRLS doing anything that actually could be called relevant or convincing in contemporary sense. I mean if he actually could have charmed people with his 80's solo albums, it would be different. Since he failed, he was stuck with the Stones. And even within the Stones he seemed to have lost any hopes of reinvention or things like that. It is just a pragmatic affair to him, and he seems to see the whole band as some kind of vehicle to maximise profits, and the demand - buying audiences, "fans" - seem to dictate all the artistic choices. If they want nostalgia they will have it.

- Doxa

Date: April 16, 2013 11:13

Hey Father Ted I like the EP idea. It's easier to concentrate on 4 songs at a time. This way they could produce rock solid music, plus we could appreciate this as "less is more". Hope they're listening.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 16, 2013 11:22

DandelionPowderman
Father Ted

Or a 9-10 track album
thumbs upsmileys with beer

or 8 songs e.g.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-16 11:24 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 16, 2013 11:25

and they could have cut 1/2 of those 8 songs.

Date: April 16, 2013 11:31

It is true that Jagger has all these low profile side projects - solo albums, film products, etc - and the Stones for him probably is just another project in his life. But it tends to be the project he only can shine and make big news/loads of money. That's the only area he can make a difference and be Mick Jagger, the super star by nature. His biggest role in life is to be a frontman of The Rolling Stones. And he knows that - and that's why the Stones 'exist'. And Jagger, the artist, is not totally happy with that, since it is rather limited role, totally bounded by history and nostalgia.

To my eyes - probably for psychological reasons - Jagger don't give a damn, but has "externalized" his Stones front man/leader role, and does it totally from a pragmatic point of view, artistically 'autopilot'. Besides I think he actually enjoys performing - do a Mick Jagger show - so I think that alone can satisfy most of his artistic needs. His act is an art form of its own. There probably is no drive or need or energy for Stones creativity outside the stage. Taking the 'fact' that the 'fans' don't want new music...

Just guessing, though.

- Doxa

Date: April 16, 2013 11:32

4 rockers, a pop number, a blues number, a ballad - preferrably soul and some funky stuff. Would do it for me thumbs up

Date: April 16, 2013 12:25

Like someone mentioned above, the way to present "Doom & Gloom" and "One More Shot" is probably a sign of new way of releasing new music. I always thought that the point of those songs, with giving a glimpse of a living and breathing band to make 50 properly, was to sell the gorilla album to hardcore fans as well. Like with 40 LICKS.

But it could be as well that they want to give more role and familiarity to the new songs by presenting them in a greatest hits album, and thereby prepair their fans to them. Like they belonging more naturally to the set. A BIGGER BANG probably was totally forgotten by the band and its main audience by 2007, but at least as long as there is not next high-profile collection available, D&G and OMS will have at least a chance to be heard, even when the radio circulations are gone.

There is also that the less there are new numbers, more listens each of them probably will have. A song is more "valuable" more rarer it is. Just think of how much we have listened those two songs (okay, we are not Jagger's main target, so probably that doesn't count). A BIGGER BANG was a horrible faceless run of too many mediocre songs, which I think prevents, at least myself, to really listen the album. The whole idea of listening it does not sound very attractive option.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-16 12:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 16, 2013 14:13

Witness
Not only that, to this listener a new album infuses vitality to the listening to all of their albums, as it always has been the case with each new album of theirs. Because, apart from capability and desire to make great music or now rather comparatively great music, it is still a matter of their superb taste.

run this by me again?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 16, 2013 15:30

GRNRBITW
Witness
Not only that, to this listener a new album infuses vitality to the listening to all of their albums, as it always has been the case with each new album of theirs. Because, apart from capability and desire to make great music or now rather comparatively great music, it is still a matter of their superb taste.

run this by me again?

???

Date: April 16, 2013 16:53

Witness
GRNRBITW
Witness

run this by me again?

???

only with shorter sentences and smaller words. thanks.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: April 16, 2013 17:30

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I want a new album, and I love Love is strong, you got me rocking, moon is up, the worst, saint of me, out of control, how can I stop, flip the switch, don't stop, hurricane, under the radar, rough justice, back of my hand, laugh I nearly died, plundered my soul, doom & gloom, one more shot...

Date: April 16, 2013 17:38

goingmad
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I want a new album.

why must it always be about you? can't you think about the many who were moritifed by ABB and are still in recovery after being subjected to SOL?

Date: April 17, 2013 02:43

GRNRBITW
goingmad
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I want a new album.

why must it always be about you? can't you think about the many who were moritifed by ABB and are still in recovery after being subjected to SOL?

"Heartless" males didn't "get" SOL. Mick doesn't write every song just for macho testosterone driven males. SOL was a big hit with the ladies and even with some males, especially done live.

Date: April 17, 2013 02:44

goingmad
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I want a new album, and I love Love is strong, you got me rocking, moon is up, the worst, saint of me, out of control, how can I stop, flip the switch, don't stop, hurricane, under the radar, rough justice, back of my hand, laugh I nearly died, plundered my soul, doom & gloom, one more shot...

Youre not alone, we all (the non insane people here) want a new album.

Date: April 17, 2013 02:45

goingmad

That's right! More is better!

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: April 17, 2013 02:52

its a cop out saying fans dont want new music.write good music and play it live,than you are an artist not just the worlds greatest performer.

Date: April 17, 2013 02:56

JumpinJackOLantern
goingmad

That's right! More is better!

HARDER FASTER

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: April 17, 2013 03:35

I want more Stones albums. I love oms, Dg, pms BTW bur
That being said half of the problem is the overly produced compressed sound. The sound/tone needs to be warmer. They dont necessarily have to record in analog but at least try to keep the tone warm. Second don't try to be relevant. Just make good songs.t

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home