Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Mick Jagger: ‘Fans don’t want a new Rolling Stones album’
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 14, 2013 01:27

bob r
I think one of the problems with "new" material is that things have changed so much in how music is listened to these days...when I was growing up a new album by the Beatles or Stones was something incredibly anticipated-- when it came out you would play that thing until you wore it out-- you knew every track like the back of your hand..its not like that anymore. People listen to specific tracks and don't spend the time needed to get familiar with an entire album.
When you got a new Beatles / Stones album in the 60's-70's it was a complete package: the cover art, the music inside, the credits, sometimes a poster, sometimes pictures. postcards, the credits, it was all a complete package. There really was nothing cooler at the time. today too many choices, too much technology, not enough interest.From the Artist or the consumer
And that's why I think new material has a tough time being introduced in a concert setting.

Yes, that's it. And of course for years Mick had become used to an audience that already knew the song even if it was "new". In fact it takes several fairly quiet, concentrated listens to learn a song, and after a certain point (1989, say?) those first few listens, for a large part of the crowd who didn't own the album, were happening in the concert venue instead of at home. Mick sees this change as boredom and writes the song off before anyone has time to learn to like it. After all, with a back catalogue like theirs, they have plenty of more familiar stuff to choose from that will make the crowd react in a more satisfactory way. And then it's the more expert and long-standing fans who get bored.

Except that so many of the expert and long-standing fans don't want any new stuff any more than Mick does - they decided long ago that all that unfamiliar stuff after Year X is crap, and they aren't going to take time to check whether this is true. They would like rarities - but OLD rarities, please - if they actually turn up at the gig at all. Too many of them prefer to stay home and sneer at the riff-raff that goes to concerts these days.

For the avoidance of doubt, I enjoyed D&G and OMS, I'd like to see some more new material and I'd like to hear some of it given a fair chance live. But then it isn't me who has to stand up and sing to a crowd when you are convinced (rightly or wrongly) that they'd rather hear the 1576th performance of Miss You instead.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 14, 2013 01:44

GL!! You seem to have misplaced your dime!!
everybody back up!! do you see it? do you see it?

HERE COMES THE BUS!!! OH NOES!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 14, 2013 01:55

Max'sKansasCity

I'm afraid my last dime went on my Hyde Park ticket, so...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 14, 2013 02:01

Green Lady
Max'sKansasCity

It's OK Green Lady, I'll get you to school, I'm used to that early morning text, "Mahhhh, I missed the bus...." Let me just grab my coffee and keys.

Date: April 14, 2013 02:01

Green Lady
Max'sKansasCity

Well, as long as you spent it wisely, and it sounds like you did.thumbs up

cool smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 14, 2013 03:45

Mick Jagger has admitted that there’s virtually no point in trying to work the two new Rolling Stones songs into the set

Safe to say Start Me Up will be the newest song in the set list? How does that celebrate a career that has supposedly lasted 50 years?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 03:47 by tatters.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 14, 2013 03:55

Mick's lack of confidence, and some people's closed minds, is astounding. It's unbelievable that he would base his decision on whether to make a new album or not based on people's initial reactions to new stuff.

Exile on Main Street was panned when it came out. The reviewers who loved them the most *hated* Exile.

I hated Gimme Shelter the first 5 times I heard it. Then it became my favorite song for 30 years. Sometimes a new song or album needs a few listens.

I'm not saying that any of their new stuff is comparable to Exile, I'm just saying the moment an artist starts to obsess- and change what they do - based on their fan's first impressions of their work is the moment that artist is mortally wounded.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 14, 2013 04:04

bob r
today too many choices, too much technology, not enough interest.From the Artist or the consumer
And that's why I think new material has a tough time being introduced in a concert setting.

I completely disagree. The new material has a tough time because it's NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD as the classics, hits or warhorses. IF they were, then the crowd would be WANTING to hear them. Period. It's THAT simple.

HOW is this SO HARD for some of you to UNDERSTAND???

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 14, 2013 04:08

- What a sad view of Mick!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 14, 2013 07:23

tatters
Mick Jagger has admitted that there’s virtually no point in trying to work the two new Rolling Stones songs into the set

Safe to say Start Me Up will be the newest song in the set list? How does that celebrate a career that has supposedly lasted 50 years?

Maybe it should be called '30 Years Playing 20 Years of Songs'.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: April 14, 2013 10:25

tatters
What Mick really means is that the money the Stones would earn from a new album is not worth the time and effort required to make one. They can make more doing one two-hour concert than they would spending six months writing and recording a new Stones album. They also have absolutely no desire to spend that much time in each other's company.

We have a winner.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: April 14, 2013 10:31

Stoneage
By the way: How many fans wanted a SuperHeavy album? 12?

Now as you say it - I have completely forgotten that there was a band called SuperHeavy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 10:36 by Glammy.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 14, 2013 11:57

Will the Stones record again?
Mick Jagger - "I'm working all the time, doing songs and writing. I hope there will be another Stones album. It would be good if there was."

Read more: [www.philly.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 14, 2013 11:58

tatters

Easy, they are celebrating the last couple of decades by playing the same songs (war horses) as they did then - celebrating the celebration. In mathematics: c2; c=celebration.smoking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 11:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 14, 2013 12:12

proudmary
Mick Jagger - "I'm working all the time, doing songs and writing. I hope there will be another Stones album. It would be good if there was."

Thanks. It's all open business now. (Intersting stuff Jagger says of Keith's idea of going out as like a blues man, and generally of the difference between blues and rock and roll.)

- Doxa

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:02

Their new stuff is a bit of a letdown but if they sat down and recorded some bluesy stuff for their real fans and quit trying to appeal to today's youth it could be interesting.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 14, 2013 16:17

Lynd8
Their new stuff is a bit of a letdown but if they sat down and recorded some bluesy stuff for their real fans and quit trying to appeal to today's youth it could be interesting.

they will never do that. Keef n mick wont sit down together to write a song in the near future. ...and havent done so for the past 20 years or more.

Jeroen

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 14, 2013 16:31

Doxa
proudmary

Thanks. It's all open business now. (Intersting stuff Jagger says of Keith's idea of going out as like a blues man, and generally of the difference between blues and rock and roll.)

- Doxa

Yes, Mick started to give interesting interviews in the last couple of years. They differ from each other and each has something new - if a journalists know their business. Pity that reporters are only interested in the Stones while speaking with him. What new can be said about Stones! Let Mick talk about something else if he wants to

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 14, 2013 17:29

jamesfdouglas
bob r
today too many choices, too much technology, not enough interest.From the Artist or the consumer

I completely disagree. The new material has a tough time because it's NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD as the classics, hits or warhorses. IF they were, then the crowd would be WANTING to hear them. Period. It's THAT simple.

HOW is this SO HARD for some of you to UNDERSTAND???

I agree somewhat, but then again, some more recent songs are pretty darn good-sounding to me, such as Saint of Me. When the band skips over tunes in so many shows or tours, they are out of practice on them. Then, whether old or newer, they don't sound so great and never get a chance to enter the rotation, even on rare occasions.

I'm not so sure there's a one to one correspondence between the songs played and the songs people want or would wnat to hear, based on quality of song. If you go with songs most have heard, okay then.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 17:31 by angee.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 14, 2013 17:33

i hate the rolling stones

Posted by: stones1962 ()
Date: April 14, 2013 17:35

I can go for a new album with Mick Taylor. The last album, Bigger Bang, wasn't too bad. It wasn't a classic Stones album but it was at least good. Another thing I liked about the album is that with the exception of a keyboard player, it was basically all them. A new album with Mick Taylor on every song would be great.

Rob

Posted by: tallstone ()
Date: April 14, 2013 18:51

Hey stones1962 well said man !!!
I would welcome a new Stones album anyway but one with Mick Taylor would be fantastic .
Please MICK JAGGER set the ball rolling !!

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: April 14, 2013 19:02

NEW SONGS PLEASE MICK - IN THE STUDIO AND ON THE ROAD!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 14, 2013 19:07

Green Lady
Rolling Hansie
EddieByword
I don't agree with that anyway, I like hearing new stuff live.

Well, then just like me, you are probably not a fan smiling smiley

No, I'm not a Real Fan either.

Mick Jagger: ‘Fans don’t want a new Rolling Stones album’

That may be true but as you can see, us non-fans do.............thank you.cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 14, 2013 19:40

As has often been said, it would be great if there was a new Stones album of blues covers (and maybe some old 50's rock standards).
Throw in a couple of special guests, and we'd have a winner imo!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 14, 2013 21:34

On average the newer stuff isn't as good as the old stuff. I don't think anyone will disagree with that but it's not as simple as some people make it out to be. Some of the newer stuff is better than some of the older stuff. ABB is at least as good imo as a couple of the Seventees albums and better than most of the Eightees albums.

If they totally give up on new albums then they really do look like a nostalgia act imo. If they go on tour after tour without a new album then I'll spend my money elsewhere.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 14, 2013 21:44

FrankM
If they totally give up on new albums then they really do look like a nostalgia act imo.

they've been exactly that for a long time already. nothing wrong with nostalgia, either....i look back fondly on a lot of nostalgia...

Date: April 14, 2013 21:52

GRNRBITW
FrankM
If they totally give up on new albums then they really do look like a nostalgia act imo.

they've been exactly that for a long time already...

No they havent.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 14, 2013 22:04

Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW
FrankM

No they havent.

I agree. To me a nostalgia act is what you see on those PBS doo wop type shows. Nothing wrong with that but ABB (like it or loathe it) sold 2.5 million copies worldwide. That's not a nostalgia act.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: April 14, 2013 22:09

FrankM
Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW
FrankM

No they havent.

I agree. To me a nostalgia act is what you see on those PBS doo wop type shows. Nothing wrong with that but ABB (like it or loathe it) sold 2.5 million copies worldwide. That's not a nostalgia act.
Well said smileys with beer Cheers Frank

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1423
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home