Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Mick Jagger: ‘Fans don’t want a new Rolling Stones album’
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 13, 2013 04:40

[blog.sfgate.com]

Finally Mick says something this year I can agree with.

[thepowergoats.com]

Re: Mick Jagger: ‘Fans don’t want a new Rolling Stones album’
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 13, 2013 05:28

They like to hear a GOOD album, or a few cuts from a GOOD album. The truth is they don't have the desire, or ability, to make a good album. That would require being open to new ideas, a new producer, using Bill & Mick T., and being a bit introspective and try to express life at this juncture and not when you were 20.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 13, 2013 05:35

I don't agree with that anyway, I like hearing new stuff live. The lyrics of Rough Justice could have probably done with a bit more work but it was a great song.........Doom and Gloom was pretty weighty too............

The only suggestion I have about a new album is to forget this 15 or 16 song malarky and go back to the 10/12 song per album format.............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-13 05:35 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 13, 2013 05:41

EddieByword
I don't agree with that anyway, I like hearing new stuff live. The lyrics of Rough Justice could have probably done with a bit more work but it was a great song.........Doom and Gloom was pretty weighty too............

The only suggestion I have about a new album is to forget this 15 or 16 song malarky and go back to the 10/12 song per album format.............

As usual, I agree with Eddie, Thank you for typing it, I made an attempt at a reply, but it came out way too nasty... so I backed off.

Date: April 13, 2013 05:42

Max'sKansasCity
EddieByword

As usual, I agree with Eddie, Thank you for typing it, I made an attempt at a reply, but it came out way too nasty... so I backed off.

grinning smiley

That's known over here as "Incandescent of Surbiton" or "Jolly cross of Tonbridge Wells"..........at a stretch "Pissed from Peckham"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-13 05:47 by EddieByword.

Date: April 13, 2013 05:58

EddieByword
Max'sKansasCity
EddieByword

grinning smiley

That's known over here as "Incandescent of Surbiton" or "Jolly cross of Tonbridge Wells"..........at a stretch "Pissed from Peckham"

Well... then.... I'll have 2 of first and last, 3 of the middle one, a glazed donut and a bottle of anything, to go!

Date: April 13, 2013 06:01

Max'sKansasCity
EddieByword
Max'sKansasCity
EddieByword

grinning smiley

Well... then.... I'll have 2 of first and last, 3 of the middle one, a glazed donut and a bottle of anything, to go!

There you go then Max...and you can have "Outraged of Chipping Sodbury" as a freebie....................(all real English country towns they are......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-13 06:03 by EddieByword.

Date: April 13, 2013 06:05

EddieByword
Max'sKansasCity
EddieByword
Max'sKansasCity
EddieByword

grinning smiley

There you go then Max...and you can have "Outraged of Chipping Sodbury" as a freebie........all real English country towns they are......

smileys with beerdrinking smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2013 06:07

Not a good excuse Mick ...
If that's the only problem then just release an album but don't play anything from it live

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-13 06:07 by Rockman.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 13, 2013 06:09

These days the concept of an album is fading. Unless they have a cohesive project we'll get more of the same over effected, computerized gibberish. If they choose after this tour they can make a great record. Their greatest recording are honest visions of their addictions, sexuality and performances. This tour will be very humbling for them as they take it all in, their life's work, mighty as it is, flashing before their eyes. The Rolling Stones need to make an honest record about these experiences.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 13, 2013 06:13

I would love to have a new album. But one that's recorded in a retro style. The Some Girls bonus disc was awesome. They should sit down with an accoustic guitar that is mic'd and make a record like that. Use technology from the 60's. They sounded best like that.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 13, 2013 06:48

The fans don't want another mediocre Rolling Stones album. Record some stuff with the six actual Rolling Stones. Do it in a few days, live in the studio. Crap, let Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman and Ron Wood contribute a song each. Do a couple of tasty covers and then we would only need five or so from the inspirationally-challenged Glimmer Twins. Don't do too many overdubs or overthink it. Leave Don Was at home. Could be the best Stones album in decades. Will they do this? Of course not!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-13 06:49 by 71Tele.

Date: April 13, 2013 07:38

jamesfdouglas
[blog.sfgate.com]

If Keith and many of us "hardcores" get our way then they will record a new album as soon as the tour is over. Mick will come around. smoking smiley

Posted by: pleased2meetme ()
Date: April 13, 2013 07:45

Typical Jagger contradiction...if it's true the fans can't stand new tunes,why did they play two new ones during the last round of shows...and waste everyone's time with covers that no one wanted to hear during the ABB tour.

Date: April 13, 2013 07:52

I seriously doubt that ticket sales would be hurt to any great degree if they decided to record and play all new songs for the remainder of their careers. Be bold, Mick, be bold! The legacy is more important than a few disgruntled casual fans!

Date: April 13, 2013 08:04

71Tele
The fans don't want another mediocre Rolling Stones album. Record some stuff with the six actual Rolling Stones. Do it in a few days, live in the studio. Crap, let Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman and Ron Wood contribute a song each. Do a couple of tasty covers and then we would only need five or so from the inspirationally-challenged Glimmer Twins. Don't do too many overdubs or overthink it. Leave Don Was at home. Could be the best Stones album in decades. Will they do this? Of course not!

Of course they will do it! Record a new album, that is, but not exactly as you wish, I suspect. It will be great though. Can't afford not to be. Too much at stake.

Date: April 13, 2013 08:16

sanQ
I would love to have a new album. But one that's recorded in a retro style. The Some Girls bonus disc was awesome. They should sit down with an accoustic guitar that is mic'd and make a record like that. Use technology from the 60's. They sounded best like that.

Absolutely!thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 13, 2013 09:31

Why don't they do an EP?

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 13, 2013 09:51

They are not motivated anymore to sit down and try really hard to make a good record....

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 13, 2013 09:56

jamesfdouglas
[blog.sfgate.com]

Mick doesn't actually say that - the writer has taken a quote from the recent USA Today interview about fans not enjoying new songs on stage and added a bit of spin to make him "say" that fans don't want a new album at all. 2+2=5.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2013 10:03

Why don't they do an EP?

.....YEAH three EP's that'll do ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: April 13, 2013 10:30

GET RID OF DON WAS AS PRODUCER!

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: April 13, 2013 10:41

Just because it's published online doesn't mean that's what he actually said. winking smiley

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 13, 2013 11:10

Fans want a new CD.
Listen to that Mick.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: April 13, 2013 11:12

I do agree with Jagger. There's no use to produce a NEW album. The sound of the album wouldn't be that new. It's always the same kind of riffs, feeling, bad lyrics... with other words, a BAD album.

Besides, I think the audience would rather hear their great stuff of the past. Nothing wrong with it.

I still think this tour is the last 'trick' they will do. It's fine by me. They are still great! They have done enough the last 50 years. Let them be.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 13, 2013 11:17

He tells USA Today, “It would be nice to have a new album, but people don’t like the new album when you play it on stage. They glumly look at you. ‘OK, it will be over in a minute.’ It’s not a good excuse, but it’s the truth and has to be said.”

Dear Mick, people like good songs. A Bigger Bang is a poor album full of fillers. 'Doom and Gloom' seems a Goddess outtake very similar to the awful 'Everybody getting high'. 'One more Shot' it's just a decent X-Pensive Winos outtake. The problem is that you have to get back to work as a real team and not to prepare demo separately, each in their own home.
You are right in saying 'it's not a good excuse'.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 13, 2013 11:20

An all-Blues album made by a group of multi-millionaires might not be too authentic, but it would still be a worthy addition to their catalogue. They could express the expreriences of loss everyone faces through the passage of time, irrespective of wealth, fame or social status.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 13, 2013 11:22

Well well well... Seemingly Jagger has no a mirror. That the "fans" are not be challanged by new material, and are expecting the Stones show to consist of classic and familar-to-anyone hits, I guess Sir Mick has had quite instrumental role in that. (According to Leavell, if Jagger would decide we would only hear the war horses...)

Jagger himself picked up that "easy" nostalgia card in 1989 and have played with it without expection ever since, and is damn wealthy man thanks to that.

It is also rather obvious that for Jagger "fan" means anyone bothers to buy or get a ticket to a Stones show. The term "customer" should be more apt. It is his buying audience he like to keep satisfied. The so called hardcore fans - like IORR people - is little minority in there. They are next to nothing compared to "rock and roll tourists" - it's them who bring most of the money, and it is their needs to be taken care of by provinding a satisfying show.

It is only noteworthy that for Jagger the function of new Stones music is just to serve a tour. Seemingly he has dropped the old PR idea of a new album "justifying" a tour, and giving a glimpse of a "living and breathing band". They can survived without that these days. And also the idea that the point of new music is just to see how it "works" played live, sounds like seeing making new music not very valuable of its won. A record - for him - is not an artistic statement of its own. It is good that there was a time in Stones history they didn't treat making music in that way, but saw that an aim of its own, and new record was an artistic staement of its own. (Then we get "road versions" of the songs and things like that, but that's another story).

It is no wonder that with attitude like that the Rolling Stones have not (a) released much new music since the 90's, (b) when they rarely do that, it is not inspired-sounding at all. And the most inspired sounding and original have been the stuff Jagger did for pure recording purposes only and not having any idea of seeing the stuff as a thing to please "rock and roll tourists" in their shows: EXILE and SOME GIRLS bonus material. A co-incidence?

- Doxa

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 13, 2013 11:29

...we LONG for an exciting, new album.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 13, 2013 11:46

KRiffhard

Dear Mick, people like good songs. A Bigger Bang is a poor album full of fillers. 'Doom and Gloom' seems a Goddess outtake very similar to the awful 'Everybody getting high'. 'One more Shot' it's just a decent X-Pensive Winos outtake. The problem is that you have to get back to work as a real team and not to prepare demo separately, each in their own home.
You are right in saying 'it's not a good excuse'.

I disagree with everything in this post.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home