Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Taking young children / kids to Rolling Stones shows
Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 24, 2023 15:13

I wrote this ten years ago:

Be careful. Very very careful. May many years ago I took my then 7 years old son to a Springsteen outdoor show. We were in a safe place with grown up fans but the crowd started moving like a river, and my son went under the crowd. I picked him out from a very dangerous situation.

Additional comments from experience:

- The child may get lost in the crowd, during toilet breaks, or shopping water/drinks. How do you find a lost child in a packed crowd, during the show?

- Children's hearing is much more sensitive, they will need hearing protection

- Under 8-10 of age it is child abuse, take them to the tivoli or circus instead

- If they are 15 and up they may get some pleasure and they are more secure

- Children may get dehydrated, makes it complicated during shows

- Max one child per adult, hand-in-hand only when moving around in the crowd

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-24 15:15 by bv.

Re: Bringing kids to Stones concert…?
Posted by: mgshorr ()
Date: November 24, 2023 15:18

Thx to whoever moved this!

mgshorr
Hi All -

Have any of you brought your kids (under 10yo) to a show? If so, I have a few questions…

1) did they last the entire night?
2) did they use earplugs?
3) could my 5yo and 3yo survive a show?

I don’t want to have any regrets about my kids not seeing the Stones while they’re still touring…

Thx for any tips, feedback, etc…

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 24, 2023 17:49

mgshorr
Hi All -

Have any of you brought your kids (under 10yo) to a show? If so, I have a few questions…

I don’t want to have any regrets about my kids not seeing the Stones while they’re still touring…

I went in my local bank a couple of years ago with a Stones tongue t-shirt on, one of the girls working there said, "Oh, I saw the Stones once in Cardiff, 1990, I was five and sat on my dad's shoulders all the way through - I loved it".

A few days later I took her a cd copy of the boot for that show. She was well pleased.

About the 3 year old. It would probably be ok if you get seats and ear muffs/defenders.....(and you're happy to take him/her on your lap if/when they've had enough.............I wouldn't take them in standing only though, it was bad enough taking my 14 year old brother to Knebworth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-24 17:59 by EddieByword.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: November 24, 2023 18:08

My son has been in shows since 18 months old, when we attended at Bruce Springsteen Show in Mexico 2012, then some locals bands, Roger Waters, Rod Stewart, Pearl jam and finally in 2016 Rolling Stones 2 shows when he was 5!

Last time he saw the Stones were at No Filter 2019 and i see proudly how he really enjoy it!

I always share the concerts with him as a heritage.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: November 24, 2023 18:31

mgshorr
Hi All -

I have taken my five year old (soon to be six)to live shows. He loves live music but I would advise a few things.

- don't get too close to the stage. Take a seat if it's in a stadium. The little one will thank you for it.
-be prepared to go early. Sorry but this is just the way it is! I have been fortunate that mine has wanted to stay.
- leave before the last song. Seriously, avoid the crowds. Get away quicker and let the little one enjoy what they have seen.
- don't take a little one if they are not interested in music/the artist. It's not fair on them or you. I won't take mine unless he knows a few songs!
- take ear defenders. Mine used them for The Who...
- always have one adult to one child. More adults always help.

Amazing memories with my son which we will share forever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-24 18:33 by petewasbristol.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 24, 2023 20:01

If ya kids a skin-head then its probably best ta take him bowling ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rover ()
Date: November 24, 2023 21:33

Go for it.
We took our 3 and 5-year-old daughters to a Sydney show in 2006.They loved it. We were front of stage on the ground at the Olympic Stadium. The good thing about Aussie shows is that everybody is assigned a seat on the ground so there are normally no issues with pushing crowds and everyone gets their own bit of ticket-assigned space.They stood on the seats so could see the stage. I am not sure about doing the same thing at a GA show so my advice is get seated tickets.The eldest lasted the whole show. The youngest lasted until the encore. Both loved it and became life-long fans.The Stones became a family thing for us leading to many great memories and family bonding over a common love of the music. In the last few years we have travelled as a family to Switzerland to see the Stones (2017) and last year for Hyde Park and Bern (unfortunately cancelled). It's pretty cool taking your teenage and then adult daughters to shows - all of us dressed in Stones gear. The only issue is we (mum and dad) still pay for them. I winge about it but I am secretly happy to pay for the great memories. My all-time favourite family photo is the 4 of us in front of the No filter stage in Zurich.

The support act in Sydney was Living End and the girls also became fans of them as well.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 24, 2023 21:45

I think my son was 12 for his first concert...totally loved it. We were seated, good seats and had ear protection mercifully as it was WAY too loud.

But I agree with other comments...younger kids you're taking great risk, both for not enjoying the show but more importantly for their safety.

Every situation is different but on balance I'd say it isn't worth it with the youngsters.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: November 24, 2023 22:31

Whatever the age is: use ear protection!

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 24, 2023 22:34

My children have seen the Stones in Twickenham (age 8 and 6) and last year in Hyde Park (aged 12 and 8). They loved it, and brag about it when given the chance.

Date: November 24, 2023 22:52

Totally agree ... theres nothing worse than a kid sceeeeeeming in your ear

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 24, 2023 23:05

Rockman

Totally agree ... theres nothing worse than a kid sceeeeeeming in your ear

I learned that the hard way. A group of girls shrieking behind us during an AC/DC concert. I had ringing for 2 days...I was worried it was permanent.

I always bring ear protection just in case.

Date: November 24, 2023 23:14

Your air-guitar antics probably freaked the poor girls out .... HHHHaaaa

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2026
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home