Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Taking kids to a concert. Any idea?
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 10, 2013 02:20

I am taking my 2 daughters to see Macca in July. Of course, they are 34 and 32!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 10, 2013 02:27

That's a long day for a couple of 5 year olds..........take them to London zoo or something the next day............

And, you could always have a party the weekend before when Glastonbury is on the TV and let them stay up for that...............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-10 02:42 by EddieByword.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 10, 2013 04:26

BlackHat
Just exercise some common sense. Watch from a comfortable distance, don't try and go too near the front and you should be fine.

Good advice. With kids that young it's best to be at the edge of crowd (which likely means at the back) instead of in the crowd. Aside from external danger it will be better if one of your kids has to go potty or otherwise gets uncomfortable. You'll want their first festival experience to be a good one.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 10, 2013 04:31

DaveG
I am taking my 2 daughters to see Macca in July. Of course, they are 34 and 32!
smileys with beerdrinking smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 10, 2013 04:31

bv
Be careful. Very very careful. May many years ago I took my then 7 years old son to a Springsteen outdoor show. We were in a safe place with grown up fans but the crowd started moving like a river, and my sun went under the crowd. I picked him out from a very dangerous situation.

The thing is you don't have much control of 65,000 people. If something happens, a panic, the Stones going on stage, a fight, drunk people next to you, almost anything, then you can't stop the crowd. You might survive, but a kid will go under, being stepped over by dozens.

Most probably you will be fine. It is probably safer than crossing the street on a red light, but be careful, I would not do it.

Totally agree. EVEN IF they are safe, the selfish point of view should prevail here as well. Will your kids be into it for 2+ hours and how will it impact your own enjoyment of the show.

Think about it, 2+ hours at least of very loud noise and discomfort...going to the lineup for the bathroom while the band is playing JJF, Midnight Rambler (yeah, they wouldn't pick a Keith song for that - just your luck).

My kids, who are that age would be in bed by the time the concert starts.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 10, 2013 04:44

Besides the safety issue, I agree that it's also about whether they'll get anything out of it and whether you will still be able to enjoy the concert. Kids that age are so much work, I used to joke that there are vacations and then there is traveling with children and they aren't the same. I'd say the same applies to concerts. cool smiley

Date: April 10, 2013 05:03

latebloomer
Besides the safety issue, I agree that it's also about whether they'll get anything out of it and whether you will still be able to enjoy the concert. Kids that age are so much work, I used to joke that there are vacations and then there is traveling with children and they aren't the same. I'd say the same applies to concerts. cool smiley

Yeah, what are you going to do when they're tired and start crying, or it's too loud, go back to the hotel?

...and that's actually what you'd have to do.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: April 10, 2013 05:05

I admit, the thought has crossed my mind. My son is almost 4 and it may be his only chance to ever see the Stones. But this thread brought me back to reality. He might never see them (and I might never again if they don't add a Texas date!).

Oh well. Look how much money I saved!

Posted by: glimmerstone ()
Date: April 10, 2013 06:20

kovach
If you do, find a friendly section of middle aged friendly folks and make friends with them to help you lookout for your kids.

I took my 11 year old to Alice Cooper last year and when I told folks it was his first concert everyone kind of thought that was real cool and looked out for him, trying to make sure no one blocked his view and all that.

Now granted, much smaller indoor theater and we were in the designated "under 21" section along with other fathers and mothers...but a lot of college kids too.

Took him to McCartney last year too without incident. Am taking him to the Stones in Chicago next month but he and a friend will be flanked by 3 adults. And let's face it, the concerts of today aren't the drunken drug-filled orgies of old, especially for shows of this high a ticket price (tends to draw an older more sophisticated crowd). Assigned seating helps too (we're not in the pit!).

I am planning to take my 11-year old son (almost 12) to the Toronto show at Air Canada Centre - same idea, I want him to see my favourite band at least once. I agree that most concerts are pretty "civilized" these days, with older crowds and security. But you never know, and we plan to be careful.

Having said that, wouldn't it be ironic if our $85 tickets wound up in the pit? Ha.

I do think this is quite different from a gigantic outdoor concert, though, and I would be much more hesitant to take a child to an event like that for all the reasons everyone is talking about.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: April 10, 2013 06:42

bringing 2 five year olds and a three year old,is pissing away money.

Date: April 10, 2013 07:22

glimmerstone
kovach
If you do, find a friendly section of middle aged friendly folks and make friends with them to help you lookout for your kids.

I took my 11 year old to Alice Cooper last year and when I told folks it was his first concert everyone kind of thought that was real cool and looked out for him, trying to make sure no one blocked his view and all that.

Now granted, much smaller indoor theater and we were in the designated "under 21" section along with other fathers and mothers...but a lot of college kids too.

Took him to McCartney last year too without incident. Am taking him to the Stones in Chicago next month but he and a friend will be flanked by 3 adults. And let's face it, the concerts of today aren't the drunken drug-filled orgies of old, especially for shows of this high a ticket price (tends to draw an older more sophisticated crowd). Assigned seating helps too (we're not in the pit!).

I am planning to take my 11-year old son (almost 12) to the Toronto show at Air Canada Centre - same idea, I want him to see my favourite band at least once. I agree that most concerts are pretty "civilized" these days, with older crowds and security. But you never know, and we plan to be careful.

Having said that, wouldn't it be ironic if our $85 tickets wound up in the pit? Ha.

I do think this is quite different from a gigantic outdoor concert, though, and I would be much more hesitant to take a child to an event like that for all the reasons everyone is talking about.

My dad never even took me to school...you rock dude!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 10, 2013 07:50

The show is lasting for two hours. You have to be there a couple of hours before show start. You are not allowed in with water or liquid, so you have to enter food and drinks queues, also toilet queues, where there are crowds. It will take until midnight before you are out, unless you leave before the show is finished. The small kids will be tired, uncomfortable and they will bother both you and many other people in the crowd, because there are so much waiting time. I love kids, but they don't love waiting. And by 7pm, hours before the Stones hit the stage, they will normally be sleeping. It sounds like a good idea when the kids can talk about it later in in life, but the truth is many call it child abuse.

Bjornulf

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 10, 2013 07:53

I completely agree with BV.
When I read the initial post, my reaction was..all that waiting...NOT good for small children.

Show them the video...that's bound to come.

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: April 10, 2013 08:55

BlackHat
Took mine to Twickenham in 2006 - aged 10 and 8. They loved it.

Was this GA or seating?

Date: April 10, 2013 09:11

on the bst homepage [www.bst-hydepark.com] it is written for the Hydepark concerts: age 16+

does this meean: no children allowwed or is this just recommneded age?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 10, 2013 09:24

Leave them there! Let the "monkey men" adopt them and raise them wild. Rock n roll!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 10, 2013 15:08

Stones isn`t music for kids.
It wasn`t in 1963.
It isn`t in 2013.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 10, 2013 15:34

Two pages of advice, poor Garbie! Well, since everyone here is opinionated, it's to be expected. My last two cents worth, do take your wife if she wants to go. She deserves a fun night out, especially with two little ones at home!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 10, 2013 15:41

noughties
It wasn`t in 1963.
It isn`t in 2013.

Don't you believe it, my sister said her baby boy started kicking around in her womb everytime the Stones were being played......ahhh but maybe this was in protest at the noise when he was trying to sleep...................grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-10 15:42 by EddieByword.

Posted by: MGetzner ()
Date: April 10, 2013 15:43

Garbie
The thing is I already have tickets for the first concert in Hyde Park, going with my wife. My two older girls, twins, 5 years old (the third one is just 3) have been harina the Stones since they were borned...and are asking me to take them to the concert. I would love to do it as I dont know if they will have another opportunity in the future and I am thInking in the Hyde Park concert on the 13th. Would just stay at the back of the GA or Tear 2.

Any experience with that? Any suggestion? Am I just mas and you think its a bad idea or even dangerous?

By the way...they have a fantastic Keith's style performing Brown Sugar with their "virtual" guitars.

Hi Garbie,
we took our two daughters (7 and 9 yrs old) to last November's Stones gig in London. We prepared our journey carefully, no way that they would have been able to enjoy the concert without a seat, a good view, much to drink and eat (chocolate), and ear plugs (which we used only when Jeff Beck played his part pretty loud, otherwise they were fine).

They had a long nap in the afternoon, we had a nice dinner at the site. However, our daughters are patient when waiting but it was sometimes hard. In the middle of the set, they would get bored (especially during the slow songs).

However, we had a life's experience, we are still thankful for this opportunity to see the Stones live.

It's hard to imagine kids with 5yrs old to spend a day in the park, and then waiting long for the Stones to play. And it could be dangerous if something happens (panicking, running...). My suggestion would be to wait for another arena concert with a roof, seats etc.

Hope this helps,
cheers
Michael

Posted by: MGetzner ()
Date: April 10, 2013 15:46

noughties
It wasn`t in 1963.
It isn`t in 2013.

Do you have little kids?
Mine love the Stones!

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: April 10, 2013 15:59

bv
The show is lasting for two hours. You have to be there a couple of hours before show start. You are not allowed in with water or liquid, so you have to enter food and drinks queues, also toilet queues, where there are crowds. It will take until midnight before you are out, unless you leave before the show is finished. The small kids will be tired, uncomfortable and they will bother both you and many other people in the crowd, because there are so much waiting time. I love kids, but they don't love waiting. And by 7pm, hours before the Stones hit the stage, they will normally be sleeping. It sounds like a good idea when the kids can talk about it later in in life, but the truth is many call it child abuse.

Not true. From [www.bst-hydepark.com]

You may bring soft drinks in plastic or paper containers 500ml or under as well as food for personal consumption.

This was the same for the HRC gigs last year. We brought 6-packs of soft drinks in 500ml plastic bottles, no problem.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: April 10, 2013 17:15

bleedingman
At MSG during the last tour Mick said something to the effect of "So nice to see parents here with their children. Sort of like taking them into an enormous bong!"

I was there and you left out the second half of that quote! He went on to say,

"to the parents, I say its great that you can share in this cultuiral expericne with your kids; to the kids i say...there goes your college fund"

funny but, ouch, too true!!

Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: April 10, 2013 18:29

Ummm........ I thought got with my 6 month´s (in July) pregnant girlfriend ... and be in some quiet place in the middle of the park... but I´m reading all your post and I´m feeling like a mad man just for think about it.... fights, waves, drunk people...... ummm......

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 10, 2013 18:30

Very sensitive topic.

In my humble opinion, don't take them.
As much as we want our children to like the things that we like, concerts are not always a safe environment for young ones.

It's one thing to enjoy the music in the safe environment of your own home with your kids. It's another thing to subject them to the live concert experience.

Too many variable that you can't control as a parent.
Alcohol, Drugs, Sex, Swearing, Fighting, Loud Volume...
All the things we LOVE are NOT for little kids.

Be the most responsible parent you can be. Enjoy the hell out of life with your kids. Do everything you can to keep them safe and be a great role model. Taking little kids to a ROCK CONCERT is not being a great role model.

In my humble opinion!

I'll never forget the look on a Mom's face, walking away from FRONT ROW MSG ROLLING STONES seats, with her crying daughter in her arms clutching her ears.
Sad.
And a waste of really good seats!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 10, 2013 18:52

Kurt:
I'll never forget the look on a Mom's face, walking away from FRONT ROW MSG ROLLING STONES seats, with her crying daughter in her arms clutching her ears.
Sad.
And a waste of really good seats!

Uh, first row with a kid!
How embarrassing for the mom!
How heartbreaking for everyone!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 10, 2013 19:03

Date: August 16, 2007 11:21

But two weeks ago the situation changed as some cheap
seats at the side of the stage appeared and I had the idea
to take my 7-year-old son to the show – “pass it on”!

This can´t be a fair review from a fanatic (as it usually is) because
my son was with me and I was mostly focused on him: earplugs,
eat, drink, toilet – what a father has to do.And I must say that I didn´t
mind the setlist and the warhorses etc. as I usually do when I´m there with
my other fanatics. This time it was just me and my son. After the
opening act I taught him the first “golden” J rule of Stones shows:
“Let´s go peein´ before the Stones are on! NEVER go peeing when
the show is on!” “OK; Dad!”

And really, he enjoyed the 2 hour set (what is v e r y long for a child).
He moved, looked at the people, clapped his hands occasionally, asked
“When do they play GetNo?”, waved at Mick when he was coming to
our side etc. He was following the whole show. I was very happy to see
that!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 10, 2013 19:16

TooTough

But two weeks ago the situation changed as some cheap
seats at the side of the stage appeared and I had the idea
to take my 7-year-old son to the show – “pass it on”!

This can´t be a fair review from a fanatic (as it usually is) because
my son was with me and I was mostly focused on him: earplugs,
eat, drink, toilet – what a father has to do.And I must say that I didn´t
mind the setlist and the warhorses etc. as I usually do when I´m there with
my other fanatics. This time it was just me and my son. After the
opening act I taught him the first “golden” J rule of Stones shows:
“Let´s go peein´ before the Stones are on! NEVER go peeing when
the show is on!” “OK; Dad!”

And really, he enjoyed the 2 hour set (what is v e r y long for a child).
He moved, looked at the people, clapped his hands occasionally, asked
“When do they play GetNo?”, waved at Mick when he was coming to
our side etc. He was following the whole show. I was very happy to see
that!

thumbs up

Date: April 10, 2013 19:27

TooTough

Hi TooTough,
would you do the same thing this year for Hydepark with general admission?
I am still considering to take my nearly 9 year old daugther.
Would it be a problem to take her on my shoulder? (I know tht security does not like guys taking her girl-friends on their shoulders, but would this be ok for children?)

cu
Stoneswolf

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: April 10, 2013 19:36

I went to my first Stones concert with my dad and his best mate at the age of 12 in 1994 at the Hockenheim Race Track in Germany. The same month I got my first guitar.

We didn't walk right in front for sure. But we had a nice little spot on left side of the stage. A great view if I remember right. Not only of the screen. Also of the stage.

I will never forget this day. It was the first time I saw such a huge crowd, people smoking pot and passing out a few hours before the show started. I still remember the stones music coming out of every car on our way to the entrance and The Stones kicking of the show with Not Fade Away.

Almost 19 years later, I've got two shoeboxes full of concert tickets and played nearly 300 shows on my own with my band. It all started for me on that day. I certainly wouldn't have developed the same passion for music without my dad, who took me to concerts ever since and the Stones. So I would take my kids for sure. No doubt about that.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home