Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Taking kids to a concert. Any idea?
Posted by: Garbie ()
Date: April 10, 2013 21:19

Thanks latebloomer...dont worry, my wife is comming to both concerts in Hyde Park with me!!!

To all the rest, thanks for your sensible comments. It is clear for me now. Sometimos we try to make our kids like what we like even if its not the right time. They will stay at home and see the concerts in DVD with daddy...they love it.

latebloomer
Two pages of advice, poor Garbie! Well, since everyone here is opinionated, it's to be expected. My last two cents worth, do take your wife if she wants to go. She deserves a fun night out, especially with two little ones at home!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 10, 2013 21:29

"dont do it "

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 10, 2013 21:35

Kurt
I'll never forget the look on a Mom's face, walking away from FRONT ROW MSG ROLLING STONES seats, with her crying daughter in her arms clutching her ears.
Sad.
And a waste of really good seats!

That sounds like really poor planning. Who would go so unprepared?

As I'm starting to get a bit of ringing in my ears from all of my years of concert going (rarely with plugs, although one or two were simply so loud I left), I was well prepared with earplugs for my son to both shows I took him to so far, and will be again for this one.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 10, 2013 21:41

Festival toilets and small children don't mix...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 10, 2013 21:42

Back in 1999 I attended a triple bill "Monster Magnet/Ministry/Metallica" show next to a pair of kids who were about 8. They were fans of MT and their parents had said yes.

The crowd was well-behaved, it was the sheer volume coming from the P.A. that was the main threat to these kids (and their precious hearing). I mean it was humongously loud, you had to be a complete idiot to expose two young pairs of ears to this.
I had brought earplugs, the parents hadn't...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 10, 2013 21:50

Metallica and kids sounds really bad. I am not a big Metallica fan, but I remember they warmed up for the Stones in SF. The moment Lars hit the drums first time my body and the entire stadium vibrated like we had an earthquake. I was front stage and had to evacuate into the upper seated parts of the venue, in order to rescue my ears. The catering isles were empty. Everybody was watching Metallica. But it would have been completely painful for kids to be there. Kids have very sensitive hearing, not built for concerts at all, and certainly not built for a Metallica show.

Bjornulf

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: April 10, 2013 21:59

Stoneswolf
BlackHat
Took mine to Twickenham in 2006 - aged 10 and 8. They loved it.

Was this GA or seating?

Seated. We left home at midday and got home at 3 in the morning. Took an hour to get into Twickenham station after the show. Missed the last tube at Waterloo and had to catch a night bus. They loved it all and never moaned once.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 10, 2013 22:07

A pair of quality ear plugs should be in everyone's concert kit.

I do what ever my ears tell me to do, but I tend to usually only put one in at a time, usually the ear facing the speakers, sometime I alternate ears. I have been surprised before when even quiet bands one might guess would have low volume crank it up.... so I always take my plugs to concerts.

By quality plugs I mean you can hear normal people talking but they block high volume. I bought mine at a music store for about $15-20.00.

Although these are not them, mine look kind of like this...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-10 22:08 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: April 10, 2013 22:20

Some of you are going to be shocked at the volume at Hyde Park. Last year, unless you were near the front, you could barely hear the bands if people were talking near you. We're told it will be louder this year, but I'm not expecting it to be much louder.

Date: April 10, 2013 22:27

nobodyimportant
Some of you are going to be shocked at the volume at Hyde Park. Last year, unless you were near the front, you could barely hear the bands if people were talking near you. We're told it will be louder this year, but I'm not expecting it to be much louder.

Dont they set up speakers throughout the entire the area?
I mean as you go back further, there are added speakers back there?

Date: April 10, 2013 22:30

bv
Metallica and kids sounds really bad.

Believe it or not BV, but that night, the 2nd opener Ministry was a lot louder than MT. You could almost physically feel the sound with your hands and I wasn't front row.
In 1992 on the Lollapalooza tour Ministry were rumored to crank the P.A. at around 140 dBs... a bit more than what the Stones did in 72!

Opening bands can be worse than main acts. In Paris-Bercy 2003 the Stereophonics started their slot at a frighteningly high volume. It was a lot higher than the volume the Stones would play after them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-10 22:33 by dcba.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: April 10, 2013 23:08

Max'sKansasCity
nobodyimportant

Dont they set up speakers throughout the entire the area?
I mean as you go back further, there are added speakers back there?

Yes, they have delay speakers, but it still isn't very loud.

The shows will be the first in Hyde Park since AEG Live took over from Live Nation, following complaints last year about noise restrictions and curfew times. Concerts last year by Paul Simon and Blur were both marred by low volume levels, and Bruce Springsteen was hit by a curfew that caused his performance with Paul McCartney to be cut off midway through a song.

The new promoters promised to bring the expertise that has helped make the O2 Arena one of the world's leading venues, although they seemed anxious not to focus too much on the sound issues that plagued the space last yearconfused smiley. The main stage will, however, now face across the park, away from residential areas and Park Lane. AEG Live and Event director Jim King said this should provide an increase of around 3dB from last year's limit of 73dB.
[www.guardian.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-10 23:10 by nobodyimportant.

Date: April 10, 2013 23:20

Talking about hearing and damage to the ears. One of the Hartford shows (in addition) to the Sports palace Prague show) was by far the show I have attended with the Stones at the loudest volume ever. Bad thing was I ended up in a bar with a post-party where a cover-band also played very loud. Never do it again. My ears were ringing for a week. Two hours is the maximum our ears can hold back at more than 110 dB or so, after that you get permanent hearing damage. The body's smallest (1 mm long) muscle "Stapedius" then gives up and the hearing is damaged for lifetime. Think about that when you bring kids to a rock show. You might end up in front of a speaker like it or not. The kids will not have the same hearing after that experience. Believe me, I have a Master in that field... Think about the child, please.

Bjornulf

Date: April 10, 2013 23:21

"last year's limit of 73dB"

Bring the kids! grinning smiley

Date: April 10, 2013 23:47

dcba
"last year's limit of 73dB"

Bring the kids! grinning smiley

If Hyde Park has a limitation of 73 dB anywhere on the field then I would be highly impressed. Then feel free to bring the kids with your own concern about security in general. This table tells what happens to your ears vs the dB levels...

Comparative Examples of Noise Sources, Decibels
& Their Effects
[www.industrialnoisecontrol.com]

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 11, 2013 02:00

John1982
I went to my first Stones concert with my dad and his best mate at the age of 12 in 1994 at the Hockenheim Race Track in Germany. The same month I got my first guitar.

We didn't walk right in front for sure. But we had a nice little spot on left side of the stage. A great view if I remember right. Not only of the screen. Also of the stage.

I will never forget this day. It was the first time I saw such a huge crowd, people smoking pot and passing out a few hours before the show started. I still remember the stones music coming out of every car on our way to the entrance and The Stones kicking of the show with Not Fade Away.

Almost 19 years later, I've got two shoeboxes full of concert tickets and played nearly 300 shows on my own with my band. It all started for me on that day. I certainly wouldn't have developed the same passion for music without my dad, who took me to concerts ever since and the Stones. So I would take my kids for sure. No doubt about that.

Quite a difference between a 12 year old and a 4 or 5 year old.

Not sure at what point it becomes a 'good idea', probably different for each child, but a 5 year old definitely seems too young to me.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 11, 2013 04:52

bv
Talking about hearing and damage to the ears. One of the Hartford shows (in addition) to the Sports palace Prague show) was by far the show I have attended with the Stones at the loudest volume ever. Bad thing was I ended up in a bar with a post-party where a cover-band also played very loud. Never do it again. My ears were ringing for a week. Two hours is the maximum our ears can hold back at more than 110 dB or so, after that you get permanent hearing damage. The body's smallest (1 mm long) muscle "Stapedius" then gives up and the hearing is damaged for lifetime. Think about that when you bring kids to a rock show. You might end up in front of a speaker like it or not. The kids will not have the same hearing after that experience. Believe me, I have a Master in that field... Think about the child, please.
Agreed, plus I don't want to see the little buggers when I've got a load on. Besides the volume if there's alcohol and pot kids belong at home.

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: April 11, 2013 16:21

treaclefingers
John1982
I went to my first Stones concert with my dad and his best mate at the age of 12 in 1994 at the Hockenheim Race Track in Germany. The same month I got my first guitar.

We didn't walk right in front for sure. But we had a nice little spot on left side of the stage. A great view if I remember right. Not only of the screen. Also of the stage.

I will never forget this day. It was the first time I saw such a huge crowd, people smoking pot and passing out a few hours before the show started. I still remember the stones music coming out of every car on our way to the entrance and The Stones kicking of the show with Not Fade Away.

Almost 19 years later, I've got two shoeboxes full of concert tickets and played nearly 300 shows on my own with my band. It all started for me on that day. I certainly wouldn't have developed the same passion for music without my dad, who took me to concerts ever since and the Stones. So I would take my kids for sure. No doubt about that.

Not sure at what point it becomes a 'good idea', probably different for each child, but a 5 year old definitely seems too young to me.

Yeah a 5 year old might be too young. But I have seen such young kids once in a while on festivals. Most of them had ear protections. So if someone takes a young child, that's a must. I guess it depends on the kid and on the parents.

And you might not start with such a big concert. I would take my kid to a smaller one, where you can get used to the loudness and the whole atmosphere. After that you might assume how your kid will react to a different scale.

Posted by: blutsvente66 ()
Date: April 11, 2013 16:52

I take my 11 and 13 year old kids to HydePark. I think it is the last chance to show the reason for the madness of their parents.
We have T2 and we will use earplugs for sure. I think People with children will be the only ones who see the advantage of nearby food and drink and toilets in the T2 section.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 11, 2013 16:55

leave your kids at home, go to the concert so you can do the things you can't do when your kids are around. Relive your youth!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 11, 2013 16:58

John1982
treaclefingers
John1982

Yeah a 5 year old might be too young. But I have seen such young kids once in a while on festivals. Most of them had ear protections. So if someone takes a young child, that's a must. I guess it depends on the kid and on the parents.

And you might not start with such a big concert. I would take my kid to a smaller one, where you can get used to the loudness and the whole atmosphere. After that you might assume how your kid will react to a different scale.

Unfortunately ometimes the smaller venues are worse, saw a George Thorogood show once in a bar and I had to leave it was so loud.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 11, 2013 16:59

Stoneswolf
TooTough
Date: August 16, 2007 11:21

Hi TooTough,
would you do the same thing this year for Hydepark with general admission?
I am still considering to take my nearly 9 year old daugther.
Would it be a problem to take her on my shoulder? (I know tht security does not like guys taking her girl-friends on their shoulders, but would this be ok for children?)

cu
Stoneswolf

Make clear before:
We will not go home before the show ends!
If she is unsure: Don´t go!

If she agrees: I´d go for Tier 2. So you can easily get in
and out when she is hungry or even worse:-)

The position might be OK to let her sit on your shoulder.
There´s space enough and she can see the whole stage and
the screens. Don´t forget the earplugs!! Have fun!

Date: April 11, 2013 17:01

Btw: Go to 3:50, this is what I call "kid close to the stage":

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: April 11, 2013 17:25

cool

TooTough
Btw: Go to 3:50, this is what I call "kid close to the stage":

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 11, 2013 20:25

i wouldnt let my 5 year old or 3 year old daughter anywhere near a stones concert.

do you want them to hear bad language and anti social behaviour, not saying this would happen but why take the risk, children of that age should be in an environment which fits their interests, like watching the tweenies or being at nursery.

the rolling stones will mean nothing to your daughters, they may aswell be listening to justin beiber or michael jackson.

keep the kids with childminders and youll enjoy it better anyway.

stones are an adult only experience.

Date: April 11, 2013 20:46

Not really directed at anyone.... just a post.
I think it all depends on what the objective is.

If one wants to see the Stones and enjoy a concert(for themself) with no worries, then leave the kids at home.

OR

If one wants to teach their kids something, and deal with them and the loudness, and deal with them dealing with public stupidity, and deal with them in public porta potties, and deal with them walking a long long long way, on short legs.... and keeping both eyes on the kids 110% of time(or possibly have devastating regrets later)... and btw- dont dream of expecting them to abide by deals like agreeing beforehand that "we will stay to the end"(they are kids)... if it is a teaching thing, and one can deal with it like that.... then maybe take them and teach them, but dont expect much concert enjoyment.

One should not expect to both enjoy a rock show and take proper care of the kids... and one should not expect others at a concert to adjust their behavior just becasue one decides to bring one's kids.

I wouldnt take kids to concert if it was free for me, that is called baby sitting... and in my opinion baby sitting and concerts dont mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-11 20:50 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: April 11, 2013 21:43

DUMB IDEA,THEY DONT REALLY DIG THE STONES.
THEY SAY THAT TO PLEASE THEIR PARENT.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 12, 2013 01:44

BILLPERKS
DUMB IDEA,THEY DONT REALLY DIG THE STONES.
THEY SAY THAT TO PLEASE THEIR PARENT.

children really are brown-nosers.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: April 12, 2013 07:25

Allow me to offer a modest proposal . . .

No question: let em go. In fact, insist that they go.

Kids these days are coddled, cared for, and course-corrected well beyond any reasonable, thinking person's level of comfort. I'm sure that you agree, most people feel sick about this.

Best thing to do is take em to the park and set em free. Let em find their own way about and their own way home. Hell, make a game of it. And maybe put a little money on it: bet them that they can't make their own way home inside of a week and you've got not only a friendly family game, but a great way to make a tidy sum. Make a side bet on chores and you've got a clean house for a year if you play your cards right and you know how to deal with the snippety types from Child Services that only like to make trouble.
And sure, set em up with bus fare and ear gear. That only makes sense; they only get one set of ear drums and they may need em later for burglar alarms and police sirens. You want them on their toes for such things; you don't want them getting nicked because they never heard what was coming. So, get that sorted or get a good lawyer for later.

And don't forget that security isn't going to be checking any crap-loaded nappies too closely for weed, coke, crank, or smack, so you've got something of a free pass when it comes to getting some recreational products into the park that the rest of the parent set only dreams about. Just make sure that you're not exposing the product to bare skin because that can really mess up the efficacy of the stuff as its more desirous qualities end up getting wasted on the little buggers who don't even appreciate that they may be higher than god. That would be a complete waste. Funny as hell but a real waste. I would council against this.

If you think either of them has real groupie potential then you may want to groom them for a a session of meaningless sex with a roadie that results in access to the band in a bus, plane, hotel room or limo on the way to an airport. It may seem trite and trivial at first, but many groupies swear that its a great way to really get to know the band, or at least some of the crew or perhaps just the security detail.
One other thing you may want to consider is to teach them how to drive.

Most kids between 2 and 7 can work a clutch if they're really motivated. Give them a reason not to burn out second gear and you've got yourself a ride home after the show. Feeling sleepy after a day in the sun? No worries, you've set yourself up for success and your kids will get a driving lesson that few would soon forget. If they're going to be doing highway driving, do them the favour of setting up the Sat Nav. This may be the difference between making good time and finding yourself in the ditch. Burn them a CD for the road if you've got the time and you'll find the trip goes much more quickly and memorably.

Alternately, you may want them to stay home that night. That could work as well. Totally your call.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-12 07:29 by camper88.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 12, 2013 08:40

This is more and more ludicrous. We are talking about 5 year old children.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home