Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 76
Re: Hyde Park London July 2013 show planning
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 7, 2013 13:45

Excellent comment by matleeuk. I wonder how much "hubris" there is among the aganecies or managemnet of whoever organizes these kind of things. Was the fiasco inentional or not? A human mistake a cold-blooded fraud? In the latter, were they really thinking that they will get away with it, that the people buying these tickets wouldn't mind, since it is the Stones, man...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-07 13:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: April 7, 2013 14:15

Gibson668
Something else that has happened over the recent years, in my opinion, is that concerts, in general, have become 'events' so as to attract customers that wouldn't normally have gone. I'm sure, in days of old, there weren't 'Hospitality Packages'..'Golden Circles'.. 'Glamping' at Glastonbury etc...but the promoters have identified a market and now exploit it.
It leaves someone who's a genuine fan stuck in the middle..The concerts these days are generally so large, that for me, being stuck at the back of a stadium or field means nothing...there's no connection with the band, their large video screen and wind blown sound system..I really cant justify the prices charged for the better areas..so don't go..
I've rediscovered my enjoyment of 'live music' by seeing bands play in smaller venues, pubs and clubs.
It is a shame it's changed like this..and I feel for those who spent their hard earned money on what should have been something special for them.

Agree with this completely.
I've been to shows at Hyde Park pretty much every year since 2005 and the shows there do definitely attract a different audience.

I feel sorry for those who bought Tier 1 and 2 tickets as, generally with the general admission shows I've seen there, so long as you queue up an hour before gates open you can get a really good spot (provided you don't move during the day obviously). I guess the organizers would argue that with Tier 1 and 2 you can roam around but the view seems to be very side on.

Date: April 7, 2013 14:28

Gibson668
Something else that has happened over the recent years, in my opinion, is that concerts, in general, have become 'events' so as to attract customers that wouldn't normally have gone. I'm sure, in days of old, there weren't 'Hospitality Packages'..'Golden Circles'.. 'Glamping' at Glastonbury etc...but the promoters have identified a market and now exploit it.
It leaves someone who's a genuine fan stuck in the middle..The concerts these days are generally so large, that for me, being stuck at the back of a stadium or field means nothing...there's no connection with the band, their large video screen and wind blown sound system..I really cant justify the prices charged for the better areas..so don't go..
I've rediscovered my enjoyment of 'live music' by seeing bands play in smaller venues, pubs and clubs.
It is a shame it's changed like this..and I feel for those who spent their hard earned money on what should have been something special for them.

A spot on analysis (and reflets very well my position as well). To me it looks like the Hyde Park fiasco is a kind of sad testimony of the new 'event' thinking clashing with the older way to do these things. The thing is, Hyde Park is a park, and no seats, but still they want to somehow take care of the customers who want to have "Hospitality Packages", with bars nearby and things like that. But at the same time they want to make it a "normal" concert gathering where one can go anywhere wants to, or is quick enough, and feet/ass in condition to stand/sit some six hours or so - like the rock concerts used to be. I can understand very well why Jagger & co wanted to have people with "normal", non-extraordinary tickets to get FOS. They wanted this to be like a concert in the past - it looks better, and proably has a better atmsophere. The Hyde Park show is not a normal Stones show, and the principles applied in those do not work one-to-one here, unlike in arenas and stadiums which all seated.

The loyal fans whose only idea was to see the Stones as close as possible - and no other demands - were the ones who were losers in this fiasco. They were fooled. But I stll think that for many who have bought the tickets - and who will get/buy them still - might not be so disappointed, and I think there is a rather large portion of them in those Tiers 1 and 2, who are just happy to be close enough and still enjoy the extra luxuries, the biggest being that you don't need to "waste" your whole day in fighting for your spot. (or like marianne put it funnily in one thread: "gandpa and grandma are not any longer in their Hyde Park/Altamaont fighting form")

In the end of the day I see the biggest problem here that people thought that you can buy that - a freeride for being in the front of stage - like you can do in "normal" surroundings - seated arenas/stadiums. They were fooled to think so, and it is totally immoral and criminal. But a the same time I wonder how much people are pissed off not only that they were fooled but that the whole scenario is not possible - there is no way you can do that: buy your place in the sun. If you want to be in that spot the only option is the old traditional one: come early and run for your life. That's the impression I have gotten of some posts in the thread dedicated to that fiasco. It is only that reason why the cheated ones are not willing to take the option of having a refund and a 3 tier ticket. They want to have it all, as they were lead to expect. But it is not simply possible this time.

So I think there is a clash of "concert cultures": the expectations based on a "normal" Stones gig are applied to the extarordinary gig.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-07 14:39 by Doxa.

Date: April 7, 2013 14:53

Doxa
In the end of the day I see the biggest problem here that people thought that you can buy that - a freeride for being in the front of stage - like you can do in "normal" surroundings - seated arenas/stadiums. They were fooled to think so, and it is totally immoral and criminal. But a the same time I wonder how much people are pissed off not only that they were fooled but that the whole scenario is not possible - there is no way you can do that: buy your place in the sun. If you want to be in that spot the only option is the old traditional one: come early and run for your life. That's the impression I have gotten of some posts in the thread dedicated to that fiasco. It is only that reason why the cheated ones are not willing to take the option of having a refund and a 3 tier ticket. They want to have it all, as they were lead to expect. But it is not simply possible this time.

So I think there is a clash of "concert cultures": the expectations based on a "normal" Stones gig are applied to the extarordinary gig.

- Doxa

Well, at Hyde Park there is/was a precedent for doing a 'golden circle', as per the original layout. When I saw Queen in 2005 there was a golden circle so you could, technically, buy a ticket that got you closer to the stage. The Diamond circle is a new thing though.

It is possible to do it like an arena/stadium show with different sections although of course there are no reserved spots within those sections.

The problem here seems to be that they're trying to please everyone. It is an odd layout. I wonder if they'll just revert back to the original plan like the Bon Jovi setup if they have too many complaints.

Date: April 7, 2013 15:00

So in the end of the day, the fans who are dying to see the Stones FOS, and that being it the ultimate goal and only point in a Rolling Stones concert, the only option is to take 3 tier ticket (and a refund). I can see BV with generals paulywaul and godtablouse, leading the IORR corps through the battle, perhaps even poor private Doxa somewhere there in the back. If you are not in a fighting form any longer, the option is to take the spot in given areas (which i think still gives a kind of good view to the action, if one really wants to see The Rolling Stones), or take the money back and give hard time to the bastards responsible for the fraud. I hope the last is done in any place, since unjustice is unjustice in any circumstances.

- Doxa

Date: April 7, 2013 15:06

Seb91
Doxa

- Doxa

Well, at Hyde Park there is/was a precedent for doing a 'golden circle', as per the original layout. When I saw Queen in 2005 there was a golden circle so you could, technically, buy a ticket that got you closer to the stage. The Diamond circle is a new thing though.

It is possible to do it like an arena/stadium show with different sections although of course there are no reserved spots within those sections.

The problem here seems to be that they're trying to please everyone. It is an odd layout. I wonder if they'll just revert back to the original plan like the Bon Jovi setup if they have too many complaints.

I agree. I think the "problem", in the end, is our heroes this time... they wanted to do it in this "salt of the earth" way... It is not the firt time they have done serious miscaluculations... back in 1969 in America they were critizied for expensive tickets, and partly for image reasons, they decided to do a free concert...

Yeah, they want to please anyone, and now there really is a serious fragment of their buying audiences - the very loyal fan base - who is suffering of this hubrid policy (but of course, that is due to false marketing strategy - without that there haven't been any problams I think - we would have known what we will get with our money).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-07 15:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: April 7, 2013 15:36

The map was intentionally concealed: it just surfaced after everything was sold-out, and Rob Hallett said it wouldn't change. If it can't change at all in 3 months it means it was discussed, reviewed, signed-off... and kept private while BST was advertising for "circles directly in front of the stage" that didn't exist.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 7, 2013 16:53

beepee2
The map was intentionally concealed: it just surfaced after everything was sold-out, and Rob Hallett said it wouldn't change. If it can't change at all in 3 months it means it was discussed, reviewed, signed-off... and kept private while BST was advertising for "circles directly in front of the stage" that didn't exist.

Why would they need to do that? The whole thing sold out almost instantly and would have done so even if the descriptions had been 100% accurate. Different people would probably have bought different kinds of tickets, but I don't believe BST would have found the Tier 1 and Tier 2 packages left on their hands unsold.

This smells to me of a last-minute decision by the Stones that it would be nice to have a romantic old-fashioned GA gig, which BST had to try and shoehorn into their existing Hyde Park arrangements at short notice. What you might describe as the Altamont effect. A monumental cock-up, not a conspiracy, because a conspiracy wasn't necessary - the tickets would have sold anyway.

Anyway, whichever it was, the unfortunate buyers are just as screwed.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: April 7, 2013 17:27

The whole misery has come up with the various tickets.
They should have no different tickets allowed to sell, no'Hospitality Packages'..'Golden Circles'...
Just one price like the old days, who first comes, the best place.

Date: April 7, 2013 17:30

Green Lady
Why would they need to do that? The whole thing sold out almost instantly and would have done so even if the descriptions had been 100% accurate. Different people would probably have bought different kinds of tickets, but I don't believe BST would have found the Tier 1 and Tier 2 packages left on their hands unsold.

This smells to me of a last-minute decision by the Stones that it would be nice to have a romantic old-fashioned GA gig, which BST had to try and shoehorn into their existing Hyde Park arrangements at short notice. What you might describe as the Altamont effect. A monumental cock-up, not a conspiracy, because a conspiracy wasn't necessary - the tickets would have sold anyway.

This is also the absurd feature I cannot understand in the whole fiasco - we are talking about - what? 5000-10000 tickets out of 70000? - and for sure they would have found customers for them in any place. Some companies might have offered to their workers/clients a sunny (?) evening with the Stones in the park, etc.. Why to bother to do such a fraud? Of course, they probably wouldn't guess - at least in theory - how hot the sell would be, and wanted to make sure the maximal interest by disinformation, but c'mon - no one needs to be a fortune teller that the demand is going to be huge.

I think the explanation Green Lady offers sounds rather plausible scenario.

- Doxa

Posted by: vincentlevy ()
Date: April 7, 2013 19:24

Hi,
Do you know at what time will be the show?
Best regards.

Date: April 7, 2013 20:10

Green Lady
beepee2

Yeah, that's the impression I get. It seems as though they thought it would be a nice gesture to the fans. As someone with a "cheap" ticket I'm glad but I'll probably be way back anyway! I think they should have decided all this before tickets went on sale though as the setup for Bon Jovi at the same festival was specific as were the descriptions in the presale.

Posted by: Christos ()
Date: April 7, 2013 21:03

Insiders and fortune tellers, is the 2nd Hyde Park show still on, or has it been affected by the ticket/standing plan mess?

bv

A second Hyde Park show is expected for Saturday July 13.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 7, 2013 21:18

Imagine on a rainy day - the difference to have general tickets and have to wait for several hours in front of stage or to have Tier 1 or Tier 2 place where you can come shortly before the consert - that makes a hell of a difference.

As I can see on the map, Tier 1 has an excellent view

Tier 1 tickets

Separate fast track entrance to the site
Direct access to The Garden, an exclusive area with its own toilet facilities, bar and food stalls, providing the shortest possible queues
Access to an enclosed area with an excellent view of the main stage and plenty of space, allowing you to come and go as you please

Tier 2 tickets

Separate fast track entrance to the site
Direct access to The Garden, an exclusive area with its own toilet facilities, bar and food stalls, providing the shortest possible queues
Access to an enclosed area directly behind Tier 1 with an excellent view of the main stage and plenty of space, allowing you to come and go as you please

[www.bst-hydepark.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-07 21:19 by mtaylor.

Posted by: fanch ()
Date: April 7, 2013 21:38

Just thank you for the answer on the will call option, I gonna send a mail to them.

François

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: April 7, 2013 21:47

HOnestly speaking I had a big laugh about the fuzz. I know I might be cheated for the tickets I bought, but at the end it was my fault anyway to buy such tickets.

Just calm and see how it might work. I know that it's not fair, but hey life is never fair to all of us.

Posted by: StonesAustria ()
Date: April 7, 2013 21:58

I cannot imagine that MJ, known for being an incredible control freak, had no eye on this whole mess before it went online.

I think the only way to get out of this is to claim for damages from the ticket sales agency, the only compensation being a FREE concert at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday, May 21st 2013.

All IORR members shall be given free flights to and fro NYC and tickets for all their families , friends including all grand-children.

(Its a total shame for NYC and particularly for The Rolling Stones that they simply dropped MSG (the venue of their greatest success) on their final round.)

So, instead of doin´a second concert in Hyde Park with this totally unprofessional promoter, You´d better add one or two MSG shows in a city which knows how to do entertainment.

Do the girls still scream, when you perform on stage? KR: Not on stage, but when I perform, yeah.

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: April 8, 2013 11:12

Christos
Insiders and fortune tellers, is the 2nd Hyde Park show still on, or has it been affected by the ticket/standing plan mess?

bv

A second Hyde Park show is expected for Saturday July 13.

In my opinion, the second Hyde Park Show will definitely happen. Or why did the Daily Telegraph mistakenly announce it on their website last Friday? For Toronto and Chicago the second show was announced even before a single ticket for the first gig has been sold - in Hyde Park tickets were (APPARENTLY) off within 5 minutes. They must play there twice and I'm sure their economic spirit has already faced this winking smiley

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 8, 2013 11:26

Didn't see Bv's post about the second gig on the 13th. Hope he is right.

Date: April 8, 2013 11:54

I imagine the second show will happen. It was a while before they announced the second Wembley/Twickenham date in 2006.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 12:54

Doxa
Gibson668

A spot on analysis (and reflets very well my position as well). To me it looks like the Hyde Park fiasco is a kind of sad testimony of the new 'event' thinking clashing with the older way to do these things. The thing is, Hyde Park is a park, and no seats, but still they want to somehow take care of the customers who want to have "Hospitality Packages", with bars nearby and things like that. But at the same time they want to make it a "normal" concert gathering where one can go anywhere wants to, or is quick enough, and feet/ass in condition to stand/sit some six hours or so - like the rock concerts used to be. I can understand very well why Jagger & co wanted to have people with "normal", non-extraordinary tickets to get FOS. They wanted this to be like a concert in the past - it looks better, and proably has a better atmsophere. The Hyde Park show is not a normal Stones show, and the principles applied in those do not work one-to-one here, unlike in arenas and stadiums which all seated.

The loyal fans whose only idea was to see the Stones as close as possible - and no other demands - were the ones who were losers in this fiasco. They were fooled. But I stll think that for many who have bought the tickets - and who will get/buy them still - might not be so disappointed, and I think there is a rather large portion of them in those Tiers 1 and 2, who are just happy to be close enough and still enjoy the extra luxuries, the biggest being that you don't need to "waste" your whole day in fighting for your spot. (or like marianne put it funnily in one thread: "gandpa and grandma are not any longer in their Hyde Park/Altamaont fighting form")

- Doxa

One hundred percent agree. It is a clash of gig cultures between those who prefer the old way and those who want to buy their place at the front. And you are right that nothing will placate the latter other than a reorganisation of the entire event and layout to suit their own expectations. Not even a refund and option to have t3 tickets.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 13:01

Doxa, don't forget that this is initially a festival spanning over several days, not a single Stones concert... so having bars around is somehow normal and part of what festivals are.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: April 8, 2013 13:20

sjs12
nothing will placate the latter other than a reorganisation of the entire event and layout to suit their own expectations. Not even a refund and option to have t3 tickets.

You have it the wrong way round. Our expectations were based on what was sold to us. The "reorganisation" has been done subsequently.

Posted by: island01 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 14:38

StonesAustria
(Its a total shame for NYC and particularly for The Rolling Stones that they simply dropped MSG (the venue of their greatest success) on their final round.)

I believe this "mini" tour is not their ending if everything passes well.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 15:35

nobodyimportant
sjs12
nothing will placate the latter other than a reorganisation of the entire event and layout to suit their own expectations. Not even a refund and option to have t3 tickets.

You have it the wrong way round. Our expectations were based on what was sold to us. The "reorganisation" has been done subsequently.

I go to 2 or 3 gigs a week for all sorts of bands at all sorts of venues. The only place I have ever seen this sort of gold circle arrangement at the expense of the general concert goer is at stones gigs post 2003. At no festival have I ever seen tiered seating and the vast majority of people who attend these kind of gigs won't be used to or expect it either.

I have been saying for a long time now that stones gigs are not attended by a young audience because of two factors. The price and having seats on the pitch. The latter is the single worst thing that ever happened to stones gigs because it completely stifles the atmosphere.

At long last they are going back to an old style gig and the atmosphere, as a result, will be much better for everyone. The only people who won't like it are those who are used to being able to buy a more privileged position at other peoples detriment.

But the gig will be better for being GA without a doubt. Rather than having sitting down audience of VIPs at the front, the stones will be playing to a jumping audience of young people. This energy will feed back to the band and everyone will benefit.

I really hope those affected get their money back but it would be terrible if they altered the plans and went to this awful gold circle idea.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 8, 2013 19:31

Gibson668

+1
I will be at Hyde Park tier 3 for 95 GBP which honestly I thought was reasonable for all day entertainment and I did really want to just "be there"
But...my favourite gig of last few years was Vintage Trouble at Favela Chic (basically a pub) in London in 2010 which cost me all of 6 GBP. In fact the most expensive item was meeting the band and buying their CD directly (all autographed, natch) for 10 GBP

Good memories...so I'm with Gibson668 entirely

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 8, 2013 20:22

I'm going to get a refund on Tier 2 tickets and instead go for tier 1 tix on the 13th. If it were just a stadium show, I have no problem lining up and running for the front. But a festival style show where you hold your place for 10-12 hours? I did that for Live 8, and it was tough, even though it was one great act after another - 20 minute sets, with lots of entertainment in between. I did it for PinkFloyd, but I swore never again.

Date: April 8, 2013 20:32

drbryant
I'm going to get a refund on Tier 2 tickets and instead go for tier 1 tix on the 13th. If it were just a stadium show, I have no problem lining up and running for the front. But a festival style show where you hold your place for 10-12 hours? I did that for Live 8, and it was tough, even though it was one great act after another - 20 minute sets, with lots of entertainment in between. I did it for PinkFloyd, but I swore never again.

It's something I've found with Hyde Park. I've been to many normal festivals (ie where people mainly camp) and people usually disperse between bands and there's an opportunity to get closer to the front or wander around. Usually it's only before the penultimate band that people stay put. Whereas at Hyde Park people just stay put. I imagine it's because despite the fact its a 'festival' people are just there for the headliners. I've never been that impressed with the support line up at Hyde Park shows.

What also amazes me is how many people queue up for ages but don't go to the front. When I saw Bob Dylan in Cardiff last year decided I didn't want to stand in the cold for ages and seeing the queue around the block thought I'd be stuck at the back but it seemed everyone was in the bar! The place was deserted until much later on.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:00

10-12 hours is just too long for me - to put it in context, I can FLY from Tokyo to London in 10-12 hours.

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: April 9, 2013 04:26

Hyde Park 13 July is confirmed on RS.com

Per-Arne

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 76

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home