Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gimme Shelter with Lady Ga Ga
Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: July 18, 2013 02:58

Watched it tonight for the first time after a few on this board raved about it. IMO much better than Mary J Blige (wrong voice for this song) but nowhere near as good as Florence Welch (right voice for a rock song). Only my opinion but however famous you are, you have to have the right voice to do justice to a classic song like GS.

Mary J Blige - fail
Lady Ga Ga - fail
Florence - pass
Lisa - only bettered by Merry Clayton

Re: Gimme Shelter with Lady Ga Ga
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 18, 2013 03:25

Lisa and the original Merry Clayton vocal are the best, of course. However, I only thought Mary J. Blige really nailed-it when performed live on the recent shows. Florence Welch wasn't particularly to my liking and nor was Ga Ga. The latter was too much of a spectacle.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: July 18, 2013 03:55

Get Yer Ga-Ga's Out

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 18, 2013 04:38

...I surely did...GaGa was great.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 18, 2013 05:02

Ga Ga certainly had the passion. Those boys were on old men autopilot that night until she stepped up to the plate on her clunky heels and kicked their asses awake.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 18, 2013 06:40

Captain Teague
Watched it tonight for the first time after a few on this board raved about it. IMO much better than Mary J Blige (wrong voice for this song) but nowhere near as good as Florence Welch (right voice for a rock song). Only my opinion but however famous you are, you have to have the right voice to do justice to a classic song like GS.

Mary J Blige - fail
Lady Ga Ga - fail
Florence - pass
Lisa - only bettered by Merry Clayton
correct all around

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 18, 2013 07:40

Thought Blige was meh in Brooklyn. Was very glad Lisa got Newark 1. Would of liked to witness the Ga Ga GS in person.

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: July 18, 2013 08:50

Mary J Blige butchered GS didn't know the song.... didn't know the words..I was surprised by Ga Ga was bummed she was the guest but she sounded better than expected but was completely exhausted by the end of the song. Jagger kicked her ass as far as stamina goes! I was in the pit for both shows. But we don't need a guest on GS Lisa does just fine thank you very much!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 18, 2013 09:16

"nowhere near as good as Florence Welch"
ycsta smileys with beer

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 18, 2013 09:33

I thought she was awful – bizarre in a tasteless way when considering the context. Just had a feeling "she doesn't belong". Florence Welsh was excellent: fresh, natural and confident in her performing abilities. Great voice too. Anyway… I'm too much of a big fan of the MT 1972/3 versions to really pass judgment.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 18, 2013 09:54

Gaga was great. So was Florence.
Mary J Blige was ok. She's a good singer, but maybe this song wasn't the best pick for her.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 18, 2013 10:09

Gaga was hilarious, and not in a good way! I don't know how the band kept a straight face?

In future they should just leave it to Lisa..... That girl knows what she is doing!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 18, 2013 10:14

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: July 18, 2013 10:22

Gaga was great, and if jagger sang standing on those heels, then we would be as exhausted.

Also, visually speaking, Gaga was much more appealing than Lisa. And for those who think that doesn't matter, you're only fooling yourselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-18 10:22 by Torres.

Date: July 18, 2013 10:32

That fact that anyone on this board thinks that Gaga was anything less than truly awful, let alone great, proves to me that even Stones fans can have shit taste!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 18, 2013 19:19

strat72
That fact that anyone on this board thinks that Gaga was anything less than truly awful, let alone great, proves to me that even Stones fans can have shit taste!

It was one of the worst things I ever saw. It was a really embarrassment to everyone. The fans at the show (myself included) and the Stones. Worst than when Winehouse was wasted on stage with them.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 18, 2013 19:30

After the performance happened initially, some people came here to criticize her because she ruined the song and it's original message. She ruined the serious nature of it. She ruined the atmosphere, etc... That is a stupid criticism. If you watch Mick and Lisa sing it together, they don't take it serious either. They joke around together while singing, he kisses her, touches her in a flirty way. It's obvious that they are having fun during a serious song. Why is that okay but Lady Ga Ga isn't? Absolute nonsense.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 18, 2013 19:32

Torres
Gaga was great, and if jagger sang standing on those heels, then we would be as exhausted.

Also, visually speaking, Gaga was much more appealing than Lisa. And for those who think that doesn't matter, you're only fooling yourselves.

Gaga is a figure that is a bit divisive, and I think a lot of people hate her reflexively.

I agree with you, it was a great performance, one of several highlights from the show. She certainly kicked the crap out of Springsteen...does anyone even remember him as one of the guests?

Beyond the vocal, which I thought was great, was the near complete crash of the song at almost any moment...she was over the top in a good way and the look on Mick's face was one of amusement and concern at the same time...it was priceless.

I'm sure he was praying that she wasn't going to crash into Ronnie or Keith, or the drums, or just land in a heap on the floor when she broke a heel.

Pure entertainment and she gave it her all.

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: July 18, 2013 19:42

strat72

This above is prove to me that some Stones fans understand nothing. Gaga is only one who feel esence of Gimme shelter, and only one Stones gusest who was better even then the Rolling Stones. Some Stones fans have to look this perfomance carefuly to see how Rolling Stones themselves reacted on Lady Gaga. Look Mick, Look Keith, look Chuck, even look Ronnie. They was amazed with her. And she deserve it!!!!!
I never heard any other Gagas songs, but for me it was best Stones moment ever and great suprice.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 18, 2013 20:57

JJackFl
strat72

This above is prove to me that some Stones fans understand nothing. Gaga is only one who feel esence of Gimme shelter, and only one Stones gusest who was better even then the Rolling Stones. Some Stones fans have to look this perfomance carefuly to see how Rolling Stones themselves reacted on Lady Gaga. Look Mick, Look Keith, look Chuck, even look Ronnie. They was amazed with her. And she deserve it!!!!!
I never heard any other Gagas songs, but for me it was best Stones moment ever and great suprice.

While I generally agree with your observations, you are WAY overselling your point.

Best Stones moment ever? Come on!

Date: July 18, 2013 22:01

JJackFl
strat72

This just proves my point! Whatever floats your boat though.

Stefani, Gaga, Blige, Swift, Timberlake....... While most wonder why these lightweights get to share the stage with The Stones, and are rightfully embarrassed by it, some truly do like that kind of shit. Maybe Jagger has it right after all.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 18, 2013 22:33

strat72
JJackFl
strat72

Stefani, Gaga, Blige, Swift, Timberlake....... While most wonder why these lightweights get to share the stage with The Stones, and are rightfully embarrassed by it, some truly do like that kind of shit. Maybe Jagger has it right after all.

You got it. I happen to think Gaga is very talented but she does not belong on stage with the Stones, in my opinion. When you say "some really do like that kind of shit" (all those people on stage with the Stones who don't belong there), you are just pointing out one more example of the (lack of) taste of the general public. Again, of course, just my opinion.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: July 18, 2013 23:21

Just watch the "Stripped" version of that song and then there's no need for any discussion!

Nuff said!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 18, 2013 23:47

Gaga was musically not too impressive, but she was like some kind of freaked out Carnival, she was not without charme.

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: July 19, 2013 00:14

Rokyfan

strat72
JJackFl
strat72

You got it. I happen to think Gaga is very talented but she does not belong on stage with the Stones, in my opinion. When you say "some really do like that kind of shit" (all those people on stage with the Stones who don't belong there), you are just pointing out one more example of the (lack of) taste of the general public. Again, of course, just my opinion.

You have to make distinction with Gagas image and music and Gaga with Stones. She was only one person which came to stage to be better then Stones, and she was. Look song with care. She worked very hard on it. Others came only to be with Stones.

Date: July 19, 2013 00:50

JJackFl
Rokyfan

strat72
JJackFl
strat72

You have to make distinction with Gagas image and music and Gaga with Stones. She was only one person which came to stage to be better then Stones, and she was. Look song with care. She worked very hard on it. Others came only to be with Stones.

Erm.....No, she was shit!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 19, 2013 01:13

...sounds like your an authority of shit.

Date: July 19, 2013 01:28

Rip This
...sounds like your an authority of shit.

I know it when I see it, and Gaga's performance was truly terrible, although hilarious when viewed for the first time.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: July 19, 2013 02:04

JJackFl
but for me it was best Stones moment ever and great suprice.

Jack, could you be trying to provoke an argument or have you been on the weed tonight?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 19, 2013 02:36

strat72
JJackFl
strat72

obviously you don't enjoy their style of music but to call them "lightweight" is incorrect. Gaga, Swift and Timberlake are superstars.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2034
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home