Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Bill Wyman interview - The Telegraph, March 30
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 30, 2013 23:43

Ex-Rolling Stone Bill Wyman reveals he approached police regarding sex claims

Bill Wyman, the Rolling Stones' former bassist and founder member, has revealed how offered to speak to detectives about his notorious relationship with Mandy Smith when she was a teenager.

By David Barrett, Home Affairs Correspondent
9:00PM GMT 30 Mar 2013

They have celebrated their 50th anniversary and later this year will play at Glastonbury.

But one founder member of the Rolling Stones has been largely relegated to the background, his part in the band’s musical history often overshadowed by his more personal history of serial womanising - and most notoriously his marriage to an 18-year-old when he was 49.

Now Bill Wyman has spoken of relationship with Mandy Smith, the woman he started dating when she was 13, and with whom he had sex with when she was 14, according to her version of events.

In fact, he discloses in an interview in next week’s Seven magazine, he has spoken to the police and the Crown Prosecution Service about the relationship.

Wyman’s marriage to Smith collapsed bitterly in 1991 - they divorced in 1993 - and the two do not still have contact. However in the interview he defended his relationship with Smith, which had the approval of her mother.

“It was very emotional and special at the time,” he said. “It wasn’t how it was reported to be and it was the only time it ever happened in my life. A lot of people understood, but a lot didn't, and the media certainly didn't. They treated me like crap.”

Wyman, 76, is now married to Suzanne Accosta, 43, his third wife, with whom he has three daughters, Katherine, 18, Jessica, 17 and Matilda, 14. He married his first wife, Dianne, in 1959, but their marriage ended in divorce in 1969.

He said that he normally avoids speaking about his second marriage because it upsets his wife and daughters “who are the age she was”.

He added: “We all have a skeleton in the cupboard, it’s just if you’re taxi driver in Halifax no one ever hears about it. But if you are celebrity every one does. In my case it was publicised to the world and that wasn’t really fair, I don’t think.”

However, he said, he has since been in touch with police. Smith herself confirmed publicly three years ago that she was 14 when they first had sex, and a decade earlier her older sister had called for him to be prosecuted.

“I went to the police and I went to the public prosecutor and said, 'Do you want to talk to me? Do you want to meet up with me, or anything like that?’ and I got a message back, 'No’,” he said.

“I was totally open about it.”

Wyman’s disclosure comes amid the ongoing investigation into allegations of sexual abuse by celebrities launched by police in the wake of the revelations that Jimmy Savile was one of Britain’s most prolific paedophiles.

Last week an 82-year-old man became the latest to be arrested and questioned by detectives from Operation Yewtree, over allegations that he committed sexual offences in the past, which were similar to but not directly related to Savile’s offences. He had previously been questioned under caution, and was the eleventh man to be arrested.

Scotland Yard said it could not comment on Wyman’s disclosure.

The end of Wyman’s marriage to Smith was only part of a tangled personal life which saw his son from his first marriage, Stephen, become engaged to Smith’s mother,

Wyman is now largely estranged from the Stones although he did reunite with them at the O2 arena in London last year to mark the band’s 50th anniversary, which he describe as “bit disappointing really”.

“They only let me do two songs,” he said. He has not taken part in the subsequent concert tour.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Re: Bill Wyman interview - The Telegraph, March 30
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 31, 2013 00:13

Gross Bill. Just gross...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 31, 2013 00:21

I didn't realize Bill is so much older than his wife Suzzane. She couldn't have been more than 25 years old when they married.

Poor ole Bill, he does live in a bit of a fantasy world if he thinks the average 50 some year old taxi driver in Halifax is dating a 13 year old.

Still, you gotta love the old guy. He sure must of had a way with women.

Date: March 31, 2013 00:24

latebloomer
I didn't realize Bill is so much older than his wife Suzzane. She couldn't have been more than 25 years old when they married.

Poor ole Bill, he does live in a bit of a fantasy world if he thinks the average 50 some year old taxi driver in Halifax is dating a 13 year old.

Still, you gotta love the old guy. He sure must of had a way with women.

Not just dating a 13 year old...

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 31, 2013 00:28

<<He sure must of had a way with women.>>

Yeah - the rock-star status way...

Date: March 31, 2013 00:32

Beast
<<He sure must of had a way with women.>>

Yeah - the rock-star status way...

Agree Beast, I highly doubt he could have gotten very far with just those big puppy dog eyes. I never found him attractive even with the rock star status.

Munich, according to Mandy they waited until she was at least 14 before they had sex. grinning smiley

Date: March 31, 2013 00:35

latebloomer

Munich, according to Mandy they waited until she was at least 14 before they had sex. grinning smiley

Oh...thank goodness. For a minute there I thought....wait a minute...14!?!
Mandy just needed a strong father figure around to scare the crap outta Bill which probably wouldn't have been too hard.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 31, 2013 00:39

Is this article current? The caption under the photo reads "Bill Wyman and his wife Suzanne this week", which means Bill must be dyeing his hair again. With dyed hair, he still looks better--and younger--than the others, which means his post-Stones life has been good to him.

I don't think they'll be able to prosecute him for his relationship with Mandy Smith, let alone investigate him. Unlike all the other cases being investigated by Scotland Yard at the moment as a result of the Jimmy So-vile scandal, in Bill's case he had the mother's approval. The police would have to prosecute the mother as well, and this sort of thing just isn't done.

I still think that Bill fell out with Mick and Keith over the Mandy Smith affair, and that this is the reason he left The Stones. I'm sure Mick and Keith didn't appreciate all the bad press Bill brought to The Rolling Stones' name as a result. Perhaps Bill will reveal as much in his upcoming memoir.

Date: March 31, 2013 00:39

Munichhilton
latebloomer

Oh...thank goodness. For a minute there I thought....wait a minute...14!?!
Mandy just needed a strong father figure around to scare the crap outta Bill which probably wouldn't have been too hard.

Yeah, and a mother that wasn't a nut job.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: March 31, 2013 01:14

BILL FIRST DATED SUZANNE IN 1977..SHES NOT 43.53, PERHAPS

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 31, 2013 01:26

stonehearted
Is this article current? The caption under the photo reads "Bill Wyman and his wife Suzanne this week", which means Bill must be dyeing his hair again. With dyed hair, he still looks better--and younger--than the others, which means his post-Stones life has been good to him.

I don't think they'll be able to prosecute him for his relationship with Mandy Smith, let alone investigate him. Unlike all the other cases being investigated by Scotland Yard at the moment as a result of the Jimmy So-vile scandal, in Bill's case he had the mother's approval. The police would have to prosecute the mother as well, and this sort of thing just isn't done.

I still think that Bill fell out with Mick and Keith over the Mandy Smith affair, and that this is the reason he left The Stones. I'm sure Mick and Keith didn't appreciate all the bad press Bill brought to The Rolling Stones' name as a result. Perhaps Bill will reveal as much in his upcoming memoir.

Yes, after all, the squeaky clean Stones wouldn't want a blemish on their
record.smoking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 31, 2013 04:57

stonehearted

Maybe the most insane thing I've read this week.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 31, 2013 05:05

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-02 01:01 by His Majesty.

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: March 31, 2013 08:42

His Majesty
The darkest chapter in the history of the Rolling stones

Maybe although Bill presumably has a different version to hers. Can only assume the powers that be thought/think a prosecution wouldn't succeed. Still the whole thing was pretty ordinary no doubt about that. You need to know where to draw the line even if you are a Rolling Stone. Or Woody Allen. Or Roman Polanski

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 31, 2013 08:50

....what happened with Steven Wyman and Mandy's mother Patsy did they actually marry?.........are they still together??

ROCKMAN

Date: March 31, 2013 08:59

Rockman
...what happened with Steven Wyman and Mandy's mother .....

I think it was a fleeting relationship but I'm not sure

Dylan made fun of the whole thing in one of his theme time shows speculating what might have happened if the two pairs had had kids etc. Like Bill would have been his grand child's brother in law etc.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 31, 2013 09:20

Go back home. Leave Bill alone!

Date: March 31, 2013 09:59

windmelody
Go back home! Leave Bill alone!

Tell Bob Dylan that! Stephen being his brothers Grandfather was another one he came up with (think it through!)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 31, 2013 13:02

ozziestone
Rockman

Dylan made fun of the whole thing in one of his theme time shows speculating what might have happened if the two pairs had had kids etc. Like Bill would have been his grand child's brother in law etc.

Didn't know Dylan was a gossip girl... confused smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 31, 2013 16:03

Date: April 1, 2013 07:32

Well, there you have it. The votes [the ones that count anyway] are finally in. The police are not interested in the "case" of Bill Wyman regarding Mandy Smith--and neither should we be.

Former Rolling Stone Bill Wyman has said that he approached police over widely reported claims he had sex with a minor – and was told that they were not interested.

The ageing rocker, now 76, famously began courting Mandy Smith when she was 13 and he was 48.

They married, disastrously, when she was 18, but her mother joined them on honeymoon and they spent less than a week of married life together.

Wyman insists he has nothing to be ashamed of – but amid a swirl of celebrity paedophile allegations sparked by the unmasking of the late Jimmy Savile, the star has finally revealed he took the initiative to contact detectives himself.

He and Miss Smith had married in 1989, parting and divorcing soon afterwards.

He later left the Rolling Stones under a cloud, and despite playing with the now super-rich band last year, it appears he is yet to be fully reconciled with them.

But Wyman is still forthright about his relationship with the girl more than three decades his junior who became his second bride.

Now married to third wife Suzanne Accosta, by whom he has daughters Katherine, 18, Jessica, 17, and Matilda, 14, Wyman said of his love affair with a schoolgirl: ‘It was very emotional and special at the time. It wasn’t how it was reported to be and it was the only time it ever happened in my life.

‘A lot of people understood, but a lot didn’t, and the media certainly didn’t. They treated me like c**p.’

He said: ‘I went to the police and I went to the public prosecutor and said, “Do you want to talk to me? Do you want to meet up with me, or anything like that?” and I got a message back, “No”.

‘I was totally open about it.’

The Metropolitan Police refused to comment on Wyman’s claims.

Bill Wyman, 52, and Mandy Smith, 18, on their wedding day in 1989.

Mandy Smith today.

William George Perks onstage with his Rhythm Kings in 2009.

Bill Wyman and third wife Suzanne Accosta, 24 years his junior, was born one year after Wyman married his first wife, Dianne, in 1959.

Full story at: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2301867/Bill-Wyman-Police-interested-Rolling-Stones-affair-13-year-old-Mandy-Smith-claims-slept-14.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-01 10:51 by stonehearted.

Date: April 1, 2013 07:48

ozziestone
Rockman

They were actually engaged to be married at one point, but obviously this did not happen, otherwise Mandy Smith would have become her ex-husband's granddaughter-in-law.

Detailed in a 1994 web blog from Entertainment Weekly, by Chris Nashawaty, titled "A Teen Bride for a Stone":

The more scandal-seasoned Stones warned of the inevitable backlash, but Wyman was hooked: In his 1990 autobiography, Stone Alone, he wrote, "She took my breath away...She was a woman at thirteen..."

Sure enough, Fleet Street had a field day, splashing its front pages with saucy cradle-robber stories. Scotland Yard even investigated. But Mandy's mother, Patsy, reportedly reassured her, "He's a Rolling Stone... and he chose you."

Wyman had been married once before, so the couple had a secret civil ceremony near his sprawling Suffolk estate. A blowout reception three days later served as a Stones reunion — Mick and Keith had just made peace after the latest of their frequent feuds — before their upcoming tour. But while her husband was off in America for 5 and a half months, Mandy wasted away to 80 pounds from complications she blamed on taking birth-control pills since age 14. Upon returning, Wyman reportedly grew impatient with her health problems, and the 23-month marriage ended in a 45-second divorce. Smith won an $880,000 settlement; still bitter, she threatened to sue her ex-husband for having sex with her back when she was 14. Later, things grew stranger when it was reported in the spring of 1993 that Wyman's son Stephen, 31, was planning to marry Mandy's 49-year-old mother — which would have made Mandy her ex's granddaughter-in-law.

Wyman has since married fashion designer Suzanne Accosta, now 34, and is finally gathering a little moss: He's skipping the Stones' next album, Voodoo Lounge. Smith also has a new spouse-Belgian-born soccer star Pat van den Hauwe who as far as anybody knows has never dated anyone in Wyman's immediate family.

Date: April 1, 2013 10:18

Interesting post stonehearted. Looks like Dylan might read web blogs from Entertainment Weekly. He does seem to read widely, see web link below

[pinterest.com]

Date: April 1, 2013 10:30

stonehearted
Well, there you have it. The votes [the ones that count anyway] are finally in. The police are not interested in the "case" of Bill Wyman regarding Mandy Smith--and neither should we be.

Former Rolling Stone Bill Wyman has said that he approached police over widely reported claims he had sex with a minor – and was told that they were not interested.

The ageing rocker, now 76, famously began courting Mandy Smith when she was 13 and he was 48.

They married, disastrously, when she was 18, but her mother joined them on honeymoon and they spent less than a week of married life together.

Wyman insists he has nothing to be ashamed of – but amid a swirl of celebrity paedophile allegations sparked by the unmasking of the late Jimmy Savile, the star has finally revealed he took the initiative to contact detectives himself.

He later left the Rolling Stones under a cloud, and despite playing with the now super-rich band last year, it appears he is yet to be fully reconciled with them.

But Wyman is still forthright about his relationship with the girl more than three decades his junior who became his second bride.

Now married to third wife Suzanne Accosta, by whom he has daughters Katherine, 18, Jessica, 17, and Matilda, 14, Wyman said of his love affair with a schoolgirl: ‘It was very emotional and special at the time. It wasn’t how it was reported to be and it was the only time it ever happened in my life.

‘A lot of people understood, but a lot didn’t, and the media certainly didn’t. They treated me like c**p.’

He said: ‘I went to the police and I went to the public prosecutor and said, “Do you want to talk to me? Do you want to meet up with me, or anything like that?” and I got a message back, “No”.

Mandy Smith today.

Bill Wyman and third wife Suzanne Accosta, born the year after Wyman married his first wife, Dianne, is 34 years his junior and just 1 year older than Mandy Smith.

Full story at: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2301867/Bill-Wyman-Police-interested-Rolling-Stones-affair-13-year-old-Mandy-Smith-claims-slept-14.html

Isn´t Accosta 53, not 43 years old??

Date: April 1, 2013 10:47

DandelionPowderman
stonehearted

Mandy Smith today.

Bill Wyman and third wife Suzanne Accosta, born the year after Wyman married his first wife, Dianne, is 34 years his junior and just 1 year older than Mandy Smith.

Isn´t Accosta 53, not 43 years old??

Holy crap! I must be getting old myself, as I seemed to have blanked out over one of the recent decades. Yes, if she was 34 in 1994 I guess that would make her 53 now. What decade is it anyway? I'll edit my post above accordingly. Thanks!

BTW, if it is true that Bill first dated her in 1977 as one poster above claims, that means that she would have been only 17, whereas Bill would have been 41.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-01 10:55 by stonehearted.

Date: April 1, 2013 10:54

grinning smiley

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: April 1, 2013 11:08

Wyman has done well for himself hasn't he? A wealthy man now happily married (we presume) with three daughters and living his life as he wishes. And now in his mid-seventies one has to admire his seemingly youthful outlook on life, still hungry to play guitar and perform.
Retaining a youthful outlook and growing old stylishly seems to be a hard trick to pull off for many of our ageing rock-stars. The unwillingness to move on from the long haired style of their youth combined with their need to dye the treasured locks can often start to make them look a little bizarre.

Heres a recent picture of Eric Burden... a man who looks comfortable and relaxed with himself.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

[i1153.photobucket.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-01 11:15 by rumple21.

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: April 1, 2013 19:26

rumple21
Wyman has done well for himself hasn't he? A wealthy man now happily married (we presume) with three daughters and living his life as he wishes. And now in his mid-seventies one has to admire his seemingly youthful outlook on life, still hungry to play guitar and perform.
Retaining a youthful outlook and growing old stylishly seems to be a hard trick to pull off for many of our ageing rock-stars. The unwillingness to move on from the long haired style of their youth combined with their need to dye the treasured locks can often start to make them look a little bizarre.

Heres a recent picture of Eric Burden... a man who looks comfortable and relaxed with himself.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

[i1153.photobucket.com]

Is he wealthy? he is a bit of a smartass and it sounds bitter everytime he talks about his time with the the Stones. Without them he would have been nothing. I think Chalie has chosen the right deal. He does happily his own music thing and from time to time he plays with his old Stones pals. Not such a big effort and not very time consuming.
The Mandy thing is hard to forgive and I hope his three daughters reminds him every single day of what he did to her.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 1, 2013 19:58

His Majesty

The darkest chapter in the history of The Rolling Stones.

Uh...........no.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 1, 2013 20:24

24FPS
His Majesty

The darkest chapter in the history of The Rolling Stones.

Uh...........no.

Ok.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1072
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home