Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Johnny Winter's Live Jumpin' Jack Flash...Opinions??
Posted by: nashville ()
Date: March 18, 2013 19:28

I must dig out a copy of the Johnny Winter And Live album. The first one of his that i ever bought back in about 1974. Anyone remember the double album with only 3 sides of music on it?

Another great one is the Progressive Blues Experiment album - some fantastic guitar playing on blues standards.

andy

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 18, 2013 19:47

rollmops
runaway
The Live Johnny Winter vinyl album 1971 was my first JW album, JJF is a great cover and the rest sounds great as well

Great, great record! And that "ROCK and ROLL" yell that introduces 'J.B. Good' is the best shout ever recorded on a rock and rock record.
Rock and roll,
Mops

I bought this vinyl early seventies with the Amp volume always on the max

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 18, 2013 19:51

The Winter and Russell versions are far too pub rock for my liking.

Date: March 18, 2013 20:18

His Majesty

Pub rock was a rock music genre that developed in the early to mid-1970s in the United Kingdom. A back-to-basics movement, pub rock was a reaction against progressive and glam rock. Although short-lived, pub rock was notable for rejecting stadium venues and for returning live rock to the small pubs and clubs of its early years.[1] It was the catalyst for the British punk rock scene.

Have you been to Johnny Winter lately?

"Johnny" Winter is an American blues guitarist, singer, and producer. Who plays small venues

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 18, 2013 20:30

Johnny Winter should cover Winter.

Date: March 18, 2013 20:34

I agree with His Majesty here, although I like Winter's take on Stray Cat Blues.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 18, 2013 21:25

Johnny Winter's is great but my vote still goes to the Flamin' Groovies version:

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: March 18, 2013 21:40

reading this topic , remembers me an old french rock tv emission in the middle seventies, maybe in 1974, "juke box" I think from freddy hausser ( the man of the broadcast tv show"les Stones au abatoirs 1976"), a part of the emission whas about J Winter interview and live reports .... at a question of the journalist, what about the rolling stones, (40 years later I remember !) JW reply was :... THEY JUST WRITE THE MUSIC I WOULD have LIKE TO WRITE ... and just following this interview the clip of " silver train" by the STONES, the first time Iever seen it ... still in memories a great instant when I was just a young teen Stones' fan

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: March 18, 2013 22:27

ChrisO
ROPENI
Love JW,his JJF,IMO is just as good as the original,same goes for his other covers of The Stones,here is a story related to this subject,back in the 80's l was the manager of a private club in South Miami,well for two nights in a row Johnny showed up with some friends from the area to hang out and "party",so l got to talk to him a bit,first, he was very nice and accessible,at one point l mentioned to him that l loved his rendition of Silver Train,and that l thought his version was even better than the one in GHS (Still do),he said it was giving to him by Mick to record..On the second night of his visit he got up on stage with the house band and tore it up,did about six songs,and unforgettable experience...

ROPENI,
What a fantastic time you must have had!!!
WOW, Thanks for sharing this!!!
Indeed ChrisO, on the second night after we closed,Johnny and his friends stayed in the club,to party till the morning,lots of fun...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 18, 2013 22:58

His Majesty

Yeah, that seems an awfully broad interpretation of the term "pub rock". I'm hearing what many would call classic rock or blues rock, I guess, but when I think of pub rock I think of Brinsley Schwarz or Graham Parker or Ducks Deluxe or Dr. Feelgood...but not Winter or Russell at all. Actually don't think of any American musicians as being pub rock.

But then I saw someone describe the Hoodoo Gurus as pub rock recently so I guess people have different definitions of it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-18 23:07 by andrewm.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: March 19, 2013 01:35

Better than Peter Frampton's version, that's for sure.

Date: March 19, 2013 09:52

runaway
His Majesty

Pub rock was a rock music genre that developed in the early to mid-1970s in the United Kingdom. A back-to-basics movement, pub rock was a reaction against progressive and glam rock. Although short-lived, pub rock was notable for rejecting stadium venues and for returning live rock to the small pubs and clubs of its early years.[1] It was the catalyst for the British punk rock scene.

"Johnny" Winter is an American blues guitarist, singer, and producer. Who plays small venues

eye rolling smiley

It is also a general term for how pub/bar cover bands play classic rock and this is the way I am using it.

These cover bands tend to play things a bit too rocked up and/ or a bit too normalised and that's what I get from the versions I mentioned.

Date: March 19, 2013 17:11

His Majesty
runaway
His Majesty

eye rolling smiley

It is also a general term for how pub/bar cover bands play classic rock and this is the way I am using it.

These cover bands tend to play things a bit too rocked up and/ or a bit too normalised and that's what I get from the versions I mentioned.

Johnny Winter is an American blues guitarist, singer and producer
Johnny Winter produced three Grammy Award-winning albums for Blues Legend Muddy Waters. He was ranked 63rd in Rolling Stone Magazine's list of the; 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time. JJF cover by JW in 1971 was a killer song at the time being.
Your comparison with barfly coverbands is out of proportion.

Date: March 19, 2013 17:40

Blah blah blah, the way he did it is similar to how lots of pub/bar cover bands do it. eye rolling smiley

Date: March 19, 2013 17:54

His Majesty
Blah blah blah, the way he did it is similar to how lots of pub/bar cover bands do it. eye rolling smiley

2012. Classic Rock; Best" Jumping Jack Flash Cover" Poll Results ;
Johnny Winter 66,67%

Date: March 19, 2013 17:55

runaway
His Majesty

2012. Classic Rock; Best" Jumping Jack Flash Cover" Poll Results ;
Johnny Winter 66,67%

These are possible reasons for why so many covers bands sound similar. smiling smiley

Date: March 19, 2013 18:07

I will cheer you up;

Date: March 19, 2013 18:25

I'll just stick with the original thanks.

Date: March 19, 2013 18:34

His Majesty
I'll just stick with the original thanks.

The original is timeless great stuff

I'll buy you a drink when ever...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 19, 2013 19:00

I saw and heard Johnny last November in the Musiktheater Gelsenkirchen. I was a little disappointed by his guitar playing due to his health problems. The first half of the gig was horrible, bump notes and bad vocals. Then he played a ten minutes version of JJF, it was still great.

Date: March 19, 2013 19:27

JJF-The Rolling Stones;

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: March 19, 2013 22:01

The best live version I have ever heard was when I saw JW in the '70s. Rick Derringer was with him. Blew the roof off. Another great version live is the one Waddy Wachtel does.

Date: March 19, 2013 22:31

deeppurple
The best live version I have ever heard was when I saw JW in the '70s. Rick Derringer was with him. Blew the roof off. Another great version live is the one Waddy Wachtel does.

Nice one, I did see a great concert " Xpensive Winos and Keef" in Rotterdam in the 90s.

Great to hear your comment of the concert with JW in the '70s with Rick Derringer.

Posted by: ChrisO ()
Date: March 20, 2013 15:28

As always,
THANK YOU for ALL your replies here.
You guys are ALL great and always enlightening!
Chris.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: March 20, 2013 16:42

crumbling_mice
I've always liked that version...the only one I've heard which betters it is Leon Russel's version from Concert for Bangladesh

My God cr/mice, that takes me back a bit, remember going to see that concert in the
cinema, huge event organised by Beatle George,with his beard .. yea great version
of JJF, think Leon was on piano, remember hopeing Keith would walk out on stage,but
alas no drinking smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 20, 2013 17:31

Leon also does a live version on Leon Live.

I've been looking for a Leon Russell album with New Grass Revival; it's rarer than hens' teeth.

Johnny Winter also did Rock'n'Roll People, which Lennon wrote specifically for him.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 20, 2013 17:32

nashville
I must dig out a copy of the Johnny Winter And Live album. The first one of his that i ever bought back in about 1974. Anyone remember the double album with only 3 sides of music on it?

Another great one is the Progressive Blues Experiment album - some fantastic guitar playing on blues standards.

andy

That's Second Winter.

Date: March 20, 2013 19:16

its great man

how can you not love this

ilove jw's version of let it bleed too

and his stuff with muddy, 'hard again' etc

a legend

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home