Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: OT: Pope Francis from Argentina.
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 14, 2013 07:55

whitem8
Of course it was an inny with ya Tom! Good one, your catching the quotes! How about what album does Winston O' Boogie play on? But also remember New York City..."The Pope smokes dope every day!"

Uh...right. Winston O'Boogie: I seem to remember seeing more of that on Walls & Bridges, plus a few other pseudonyms he used. "The Pope smokes dope?" I doubt that, but I'm sure he likes a glass of wine or two. You wouldn't deny him that, would you?
Oh, and "the Pope owns 51% of General Motors." I'm sure there's a few dumb hippies out there that still actually think that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-14 07:58 by tomk.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 14, 2013 08:19

crawdaddy
I was hoping that opening up a thread on the new Pope would restore my faith in man and life in general.
Obviously by my opening comment,I am very happy for all Catholics ,but unfortunately negative and hostile comments start appearing very soon as well as the realy nice posts.
Years ago letters were sent by communicating with pen pals and that sort of thing about life in general,but it all seems so differant, and I gotta say,rude in how people talk to each other.
That's life I guess in the 21st Century and beyond. confused smiley

The negative and hostile comments are not exactly unexpected in this day and age. Too many cynics. Also many non-catholics and inevitably disaffected catholics to combine with the cynics.

However, as a catholic I'm neither surprised or disappointed by the election of Pope Francis, and I don't expect him to move mountains as the new pope. At least there's a pope, and that's that.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 14, 2013 08:25

Not FC Barcelona but thou...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 09:05

Pope Francis is a progressive from Latin American which had me nervous he leaned toward the disastrous, lefty, Liberation Theology (of which Obama's Reverend Wright church Obama attended for over 20 years is an offshoot). But Pope Francis is not partial to Liberation Theology—which has upset a lot of lefties—thank God. (A Latin American cardinal who some thought might get selected as Pope—forget his name—is partial toward Liberation Theology, and I was worried he'd get selected. Fortunately, he wasn't.)

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 14, 2013 09:20

I ask this out of genuine curiosity : do many Catholics believe in the "sedia stercoraria"? Or the existence of Pope Joan? No offense intended.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-14 09:23 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 14, 2013 10:15

I don't mind people being religious, as long as they keep it private.
Whatever one's believe, it is just no good to use it to make general rules for other
people. Religion should not intervere with the lifes of people who chose not to be religious.

I am rather sceptic about the role of a pope, but U must admit that the humble appearance
of mister Bergoglio was touching.

Meanwhile, let's enjoy one of my favorite movies:

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 14, 2013 10:19

And while we're at it, here's one of my favorite songs:

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: March 14, 2013 10:36

A thread about the Pope in a Rolling Stones forum shows how the cultural and social parameters have changed so much. And that's why I think it is impossible for post-undercover born era fans understand properly rock'n'roll and Rolling Stones (as social and cultural fact). Is it bad? No. In the end the thing is about having fun.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 14, 2013 10:38

Each to his own. If you are Catholic, congratulations. Personally I lump all organised religion in the same basket. Created by man to serve the interests of men and in most cases to ensure women are subjegated. I'm a little concerned about his comments on the Falklands, I'm hoping he isn't going to rake that up again. I still remember at the start of the Falklands War, the TV was showing Catholic priests blessing the guns etc in Buenos Aries and then cut to Catholic Priests blessing the guns in the Uk. Still can't quite get my head around that one.

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: March 14, 2013 10:48

Believe or not... but the new pope is younger than Bill Wyman smiling smiley
Time Waits for No One...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 14, 2013 11:31

71Tele
People who are upset that their tender religous or political sensitivities are offended on this site should refrain from posting threads with political or religous themes.

I started this thread knowing that people are going to have differant views.
It's nice to see comments welcoming a Pope from South America.
That is how I feel.
I appreciate some people on here are going to get up in the air about it,but seeing some of the posters,they get uptight about anything that is posted here.
I read the posts with interest,but it doesn't bother me that people don't think the same as me.
That's freedom of speech which is great.Good luck and Best Wishes to Pope Francis and all his fellow Catholics. winking smiley

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 11:33

Stoneage
François-Marie Arouet: "écrasez l'infâme".

François-Marie Arouet is also very famous for some quotes on the Jews... you don't want give us more insight or Arouet's views ?

Date: March 14, 2013 11:35

emotionalbarbecue
A thread about the Pope in a Rolling Stones forum shows how the cultural and social parameters have changed so much.

You're sure ?

Date: March 14, 2013 11:40

whitem8
Surprise surprise (sweet bird of paradox) they elect a virulently anti gay, anti contraceptive, anti feminist man to judge our morals. Glad to see this cult is moving out of the dark ages. Leviticus anyone?

grinning smiley The pope hasn't even said a word, he is already nazi, anti gay, anti-everything, wants to kill little babies, etc... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: March 14, 2013 12:00

Oscar-nominated documentary about catholic church and small children:

Deliver Us from Evil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-14 12:35 by seitan.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 14, 2013 12:04

tomk
whitem8
Sorry tom, pre coffee post. Glad to know the gramar police are patrolling this morning...nothing to take serious is there? "Dandruff is the first sign of madness..."

BTW, it's grammar, not gramar.

Gramar? Who mentioned gramar? Is it time for tea yet?

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: March 14, 2013 12:13

tomekdp
Believe or not... but the new pope is younger than Bill Wyman smiling smiley
Time Waits for No One...

great postsmileys with beer

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 14, 2013 12:42

Congratulations to everyone in the Catholic world with the new Pope!

PS. To those who do not care or do not post nice here:
Please do not post. If you don't care or don't like religion we do NOT want to hear that here. That would be in violation of the IORR rukes of not posting politics and religious discussions. I am giving points to anyone who ignore this simple rule when I see offensive posts I have to delete. If I see the same person making lots of "delete" work for me I will upgrade that person to the "punk" class which means Dirty Harry will take care of the rest.

Bjornulf

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 14, 2013 12:50

"That would be in violation of the IORR rules of not posting politics and religious discussions"

Surely a thread about the pope is in violation of this rule?

No amount of snidey comments here is in any way as bad as the harm people cause in the name of religion all around the world every single day.

Posted by: TMONTANA ()
Date: March 14, 2013 12:57

Date: March 14, 2013 13:05

His Majesty
"That would be in violation of the IORR rules of not posting politics and religious discussions"

No amount of snidey comments here is in any way as bad as the harm people cause in the name of religion all around the world every single day.

I agree.

smileys with beer

Date: March 14, 2013 13:10

bv
Congratulations to everyone in the Catholic world with the new Pope!

PS. To those who do not care or do not post nice here:
Please do not post. If you don't care or don't like religion we do NOT want to hear that here. That would be in violation of the IORR rukes of not posting politics and religious discussions. I am giving points to anyone who ignore this simple rule when I see offensive posts I have to delete. If I see the same person making lots of "delete" work for me I will upgrade that person to the "punk" class which means Dirty Harry will take care of the rest.

If somebody wants to have thread where you can only post nice things about religions - then I have to point out that it's deeply insulting to every free thinking atheist in here. I dont believe in God - and any thread about Pope, church and religion in general, is deeply insulting thing to me, unless I can have open conversation about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-14 13:13 by seitan.

Posted by: TMONTANA ()
Date: March 14, 2013 13:14

His Majesty

Yeah, it don't make sense,that he deletes some comments that he does not like,with the excuse that we should not post about religion,yet leaves an obvious religious thread open..Go figure...hot smiley

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 14, 2013 13:26

bv is the Pope around here so tough titties as the Jesuits say.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 14, 2013 13:27

His Majesty

I posted a thread about the new Pope last night because it is a major news story all over the world.
It doesn't happen very often,just like a Rolling Stones tour.

It wasn't to annoy people.
I was hoping the majority of posters would see it as that,whatever their views.

Unfortunately some people dig too deep and try to provoke a religous argument .
What's the point? Live with the fact there is a new Argentinian Pope and don't get all het up over it. It's no big deal. The worlds not gonna fall apart over it. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 14, 2013 13:30

GravityBoy

Yeah, it's not like the catholic church tolerates the abuse of children by it's priests, tries to hide it or gives protection to those that do.

eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-14 13:57 by His Majesty.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 14, 2013 13:55

tomekdp
Believe or not... the new pope is younger than Bill Wyman.

He's a better dancer, too.

Date: March 14, 2013 14:02

crawdaddy
His Majesty

I posted a thread about the new Pope last night because it is a major news story all over the world.
It doesn't happen very often,just like a Rolling Stones tour.

It wasn't to annoy people.
I was hoping the majority of posters would see it as that,whatever their views.

Unfortunately some people dig too deep and try to provoke a religous argument .
What's the point? Live with the fact there is a new Argentinian Pope and don't get all het up over it. It's no big deal. The worlds not gonna fall apart over it. >grinning smiley<

I understand your point about Pope being the biggest news story on the planet, - yes, it's always a huge tragedy for mankind, but what makes me angry is that, if people can only post " nice" things about religion, and ignore all the bad - in fear of hurting someones feelings and not realising that everytime these religious hypocrites speak about their money racket biz (aka catholic church) its always deeply insulting to every free thinking atheist. I know it's easy to be happy about Pope, when you're restricting everyone's freedom other than your own.

If youre in fear of hurting someones feelings, then we should have an open conversation about it, and get it all out in the open - that would be educational - and we should never protect fundamentalist extremist religious views in fear of hurting someone's feelings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-14 14:24 by seitan.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 14, 2013 14:13

His Majesty
GravityBoy

Yeah, it's not like the catholic church tolerates the abuse of children by it's priests, tries to hide it or gives protection to those that do.

eye rolling smiley

Hey.. don't shoot me... I'm just saying this forum is not a democracy.

It's a theocracy.. or something.

This is what it's like in Heaven.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-14 14:13 by GravityBoy.

Date: March 14, 2013 14:36

For Argentina native Diego Creimer, a journalist who now handles media relations for Greenpeace out of their Montreal office, the choice of Pope is disappointing. "It's an insult to the human rights movement," he says, recalling Bergoglio's role during Argentina's military dictatorship from 1976-83, known as 'the dirty war.'

"It would have been better to choose someone with a clean slate," Creimer says about the cardinals'conclave.

Tens of thousands of people were kidnapped or killed by the military during those years, as it carried out its campaign against "subversive elements."

Former dictator Jorge Videla enters the court for the final verdict in his trial in Cordoba, Argentina, Dec. 22, 2010. Videla was sentenced to life in prison for the torture and murder of 31 prisoners in 1976, the first conviction for the military junta leader, who led the coup that installed Argentina's 1976-1983 dictatorship. Then in 2012, Videla was sentenced to 50 years in prison for the systematic kidnapping of children during his rule.

Pope Bergoglio's own actions during the dirty war have come under scrutiny. In 1976, two of his Jesuit priests, Orlando Yorio and Francisco Jalics, were kidnapped and tortured. "Yorio accused Bergoglio of effectively handing them over to the death squads by declining to tell the regime that he endorsed their work," The Associated Press reports.

Another famous case in which Bergoglio's name comes up is that of the De La Cuadra family, in which four family members, one of them pregnant, were arrested during the early years of the dirty war. All disappeared but not before Elena gave birth in prison. Elena's mother unsuccessfully sought custody of her baby daughter, Ana.

After the family contacted the Jesuits in Rome, Bergoglio, who then headed the order in Argentina, assigned Monsignor Mario Picchi to investigate. Picchi eventually came back with word from a colonel in charge who said that returning Ana to her family was "impossible" because she "has already been given to too important a family.

The baby's aunt, Estela de la Cuadra, told The Associated Press, "Bergoglio has a very cowardly attitude when it comes to something so terrible as the theft of babies."

The baby's grandmother was Alicia Zubasnabar de De la Cuadra, the first president of the Grandmothers of the Plaza de Mayo, which formed in 1977 to search for the estimated 500 babies who were stolen during the dirty war.

Faithful hold up an Argentine flag with an image of Buenos Aires' Archbishop Jorge Bergoglio that reads Francisco I outside the Metropolitan Cathedral as people gather in Buenos Aires, Argentina, March 13. Victor R. Caivano/Associated PressPatroni says that the dirty war "is going to be a big issue for the new pope and for the Catholic Church."

Horacio Verbitsky, an award-winning Argentine journalist and human rights activist, wrote about what he called the church's – and Bergoglio's – complicity in the dirty war in his 2005 book El Silencio: de Paulo VI a Bergoglio (The Silence: From Paul VI to Bergoglio).

Argentina's President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner sent a letter to Pope Francis congratulating him and wishing him "a fruitful task as you take over the immense responsibility of fighting for justice, equality, fraternity and peace for humanity."

Fernandez and Bergoglio had frequently clashed over both her government's lack of effectiveness in addressing poverty and on social issues like abortion and same-sex marriage.

The relationship was particularly tense in 2010, when Argentina became the first Latin American country to legalize same-sex marriage, with full adoption rights, which Bergoglio described as "a move by the Father of the Lie." Fernandez responded that his statements "send us back to medieval times and the Inquisition."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-14 14:38 by seitan.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2108
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home