Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: OT: Pope Francis from Argentina.
Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 19:40

It is now known that visible, dectable matter only makes up three percent of the universe , and something we can't see, detect , or interact with makes up the other 97% of the mass that holds everything together and keeps the universe from flying apart. Science calls it dark matter. Religion calls it god. Take your pick.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 14, 2013 19:42

millerman60
It is now known that visible, dectable matter only makes up three percent of the universe , and something we can't see, detect , or interact with makes up the other 97% of the mass that holds everything together and keeps the universe from flying apart. Science calls it dark matter. Religion calls it god. Take your pick.

Strong post...can I call it God Matter?

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 19:46

Munichhilton
Its interesting how self proclaimed 'atheists' are some of the most defensive people in the world...they outta at least try and believe what they preach...oops, if I can use that word...

I find that it is the faithful who are the most defensive. I often hear religious people say I have no right to question their faith. Another common response is to keep politics out of religion. I wish someone would tell the religions in America that. Believe what you will, but it makes no sense that ancient religions were wrong because the true God has revealed "himself".

Joesph Campbell (mythologist, now deceased) spoke of the common themes in all of the world religions. He basically says that "God" is us, not a supreme being that created all we see. Organized religions took that message and preverted it. Support their religion and you can live forever? Don't support it and spend eternity in pain?

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 19:48

millerman60

Well if I may comment on this, this is a pseudo-scientific reaction... this is purely in the field of science, that's put in equations, that fits in a theory, it's not yet well understood but no need to invoke "God" for this...

Anyone who has just done a bit of maths and physics, who has heard of "Pi" and how it comes across in plenty of other fields of sciences, has a hint on the degree of magic there is in all that. Science will never tell Seitan why Pi = 3.1415... and not 5 or 9.1, it just finds it out, shows how plenty of things relates to it, whether it is prime numbers, a pendulum, or the density of stars in the universe, but that will never tell you why this weird number is there.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 14, 2013 19:48

I did a recreational course in cosmology and there we were told that of all the occupations linked to the sciences cosmology has the highest percentage of believers in a cosmic super intelligence and nurses have the lowest percentage................(I forget the exact figures but it was something like 75% 'for' for the cosmologists and only 20% 'for' for the nurses.

Date: March 14, 2013 19:53

Fuman2
Munichhilton
Its interesting how self proclaimed 'atheists' are some of the most defensive people in the world...they outta at least try and believe what they preach...oops, if I can use that word...

I find that it is the faithful who are the most defensive. I often hear religious people say I have no right to question their faith. Another common response is to keep politics out of religion. I wish someone would tell the religions in America that. Believe what you will, but it makes no sense that ancient religions were wrong because the true God has revealed "himself".

Joesph Campbell (mythologist, now deceased) spoke of the common themes in all of the world religions. He basically says that "God" is us, not a supreme being that created all we see. Organized religions took that message and preverted it. Support their religion and you can live forever? Don't support it and spend eternity in pain?

How very undefensive of you! By the wayside do you often question people's faith or do they just tell you that as an icebreaker?

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 19:55

EddieByword
I did a recreational course in cosmology and there we were told that of all the occupations linked to the sciences cosmology has the highest percentage of believers in a cosmic super intelligence and nurses have the lowest percentage................(I forget the exact figures but it was something like 75% 'for' for the cosmologists and only 20% 'for' for the nurses.

Euler is famous for having said:

"there fore God exists".

Indeed, those who have done enough maths to understand the wonders of those 3 numbers here, i, e, and Pi, get a glimpse of the wonders and "fairies" of this universe and its rules.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 14, 2013 20:02

beepee2
EddieByword

Euler is famous for having said:

"there fore God exists".

Indeed, those who have done enough maths to understand the wonders of those 3 numbers here, i, e, and Pi, get a glimpse of the wonders and "fairies" of this universe and its rules.

I've never seen that but I am famous (or not) for saying 1 + 1 = 1 ..........

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 20:17

Munichhilton
Fuman2
Munichhilton

How very undefensive of you! By the wayside do you often question people's faith or do they just tell you that as an icebreaker?

When I see a comment that I have an opinion about, I usually respond. I am fine with your choice to not voice an opinion. I used to withold comments on religion myself. Hope that doesn't sound defensive . . .

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: March 14, 2013 20:29

His Majesty
mickschix
I bet he STAYS humble....and I agree with promoting the use of condoms world wide! I do not agree with the Catholic Church on MANY things, I just hope they can make changes with Pope Francis at the helm.

Being humble is meaningless if said person is sitting on a throne, if the organisation under his leadership continues to be corrupt, tolerates abuse and spreads homophobia and views and treats women as inferior beings.

It's just as ridiculous as the star on Che's barret. People believe in god, because they want to. Because someone told them there is a god. Because the universe is a magical place and a higher force MUST be the creator. It's a silly thing that got out of hand a long time ago and brought more harm than good.

I don't wanna walk and talk about Jesus, I just wanna see his face.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: March 14, 2013 20:39

beepee2
seitan

When it comes to scientific claims, the Bible has the dumbest claims,- The Bible claims that Earth has four ends and four corners. Nobody can ever think a ball or a cycle to have corners and ends! Only flat items can have corners and ends, and this is exactly what the bible is trying to express regarding the shape of the earth. The earth is not flat, - so if Bible is true and God of the Bible is truly the creator, then howcome the creator of the universe dont even know what he created ?

For a start, no one cares about taking the Bible to the word, everyone knows it's metaphorical, and by the way, when we say the earth is a sphere, this is actually wrong, it's not a sphere either...

Even if you wanted to go down that route, the Bible doesn't claim the earth is flat, "corners of the world" is a reference to the concept of "quadrants". The Bible clearly state that the earth is circle:

It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

For a start, lot of people still take Bible to the word, Everytime there's a debate about gay rights, gay marriage, vital stem cell research or abortion, you name it - someone will always bring out the myth book and read from it. In fact everytime people want to surrender their minds and reason, and remain as spectators of unfairness, bigotry, and stupidity in our society. Everytime people want to be cruel and ignorant, they read from the bible. ,

It seems that almost every ancient inaccurate belief has found its way into the Bible. - What kind of designer or creator is so cruel and indifferent that it hates homosexuals and women. And the term "ends of the earth" is used quite a bit in the Bible. I know lot of people think that "the term 'ends of the earth' is a poetic saying, and that it's not literal", but they forget that it is a figurative saying today. When the Bible was written it wasn't a figure of speech, it was a fact. Religion comes from the period of human prehistory where nobody had the smallest idea what was going on.

Religions come from the fearful infancy of our species, and is a babyish attempt to meet our demand for knowledge. Even as late as 1492, people were still convinced that silly old Columbus was going to fall off of the earth. Bible is inaccurately depicting animals too, - Pretty funny since it is the supposed word of the being who created them. - Nearly every science claim that's written in the Bible, - has been proven false by modern science.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-14 20:46 by seitan.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 14, 2013 20:50

Seitan, the Bible was written in the Middle East where speech and all forms of culture were and are always full of symbols and figures.

Date: March 14, 2013 21:13

Fuman2
Munichhilton
Fuman2
Munichhilton

When I see a comment that I have an opinion about, I usually respond. I am fine with your choice to not voice an opinion. I used to withold comments on religion myself. Hope that doesn't sound defensive . . .

No. It sounds quite reasonable...I'm well aware that my opinions mean nothing to anyone here...but I am really quite happy with the amount of God that I have in my life!

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: March 14, 2013 21:22

seitan
beepee2
seitan

When it comes to scientific claims, the Bible has the dumbest claims,- The Bible claims that Earth has four ends and four corners. Nobody can ever think a ball or a cycle to have corners and ends! Only flat items can have corners and ends, and this is exactly what the bible is trying to express regarding the shape of the earth. The earth is not flat, - so if Bible is true and God of the Bible is truly the creator, then howcome the creator of the universe dont even know what he created ?

For a start, no one cares about taking the Bible to the word, everyone knows it's metaphorical, and by the way, when we say the earth is a sphere, this is actually wrong, it's not a sphere either...

Even if you wanted to go down that route, the Bible doesn't claim the earth is flat, "corners of the world" is a reference to the concept of "quadrants". The Bible clearly state that the earth is circle:

It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

For a start, lot of people still take Bible to the word, Everytime there's a debate about gay rights, gay marriage, vital stem cell research or abortion, you name it - someone will always bring out the myth book and read from it. In fact everytime people want to surrender their minds and reason, and remain as spectators of unfairness, bigotry, and stupidity in our society. Everytime people want to be cruel and ignorant, they read from the bible. ,

It seems that almost every ancient inaccurate belief has found its way into the Bible. - What kind of designer or creator is so cruel and indifferent that it hates homosexuals and women. And the term "ends of the earth" is used quite a bit in the Bible. I know lot of people think that "the term 'ends of the earth' is a poetic saying, and that it's not literal", but they forget that it is a figurative saying today. When the Bible was written it wasn't a figure of speech, it was a fact. Religion comes from the period of human prehistory where nobody had the smallest idea what was going on.

Religions come from the fearful infancy of our species, and is a babyish attempt to meet our demand for knowledge. Even as late as 1492, people were still convinced that silly old Columbus was going to fall off of the earth. Bible is inaccurately depicting animals too, - Pretty funny since it is the supposed word of the being who created them. - Nearly every science claim that's written in the Bible, - has been proven false by modern science.

I agree with most of your comments here Seitan, but I think it's fair to let people know when you directly quote someone in something you write.
I recognize a lot from Christopher Hitchens' book God is Not Great.

Date: March 14, 2013 21:25

The Worst.
seitan
beepee2
seitan

I agree with most of your comments here Seitan, but I think it's fair to let people know when you directly quote someone in something you write.
I recognize a lot from Christopher Hitchens' book God is Not Great.

Ooooooh Busted! Not even his own thoughts...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 14, 2013 21:35

Clapton.

Date: March 14, 2013 21:38

windmelody
Seitan, the Bible was written in the Middle East where speech and all forms of culture were and are always full of symbols and figures.

You can believe all you want - Bible is marketing hope, I guess - but I really wont take literally any tenth-hand reports of frightened peasants who wrote the Bible to promote their idea that reality can be suspended at any moment without warning. I think that the Bible is fairy tale and completely at odds with every branch of science.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-14 21:41 by seitan.

Date: March 14, 2013 21:41

Obviosly the creation story in the Bible is allegory and
myth and not a science text book. That being said, once you get to the book of Kings,the Bible is firmly rooted in history, and has been proven by archeology to be pretty accurate.

Date: March 14, 2013 21:44

millerman60
Obviosly the creation story in the Bible is allegory and
myth and not a science text book. That being said, once you get to the book of Kings,the Bible is firmly rooted in history, and has been proven by archeology to be pretty accurate.

You mean talking snake, a talking donkey, a tree that makes you smart, a tree that makes you immune to death, people taking three day rides in the stomach of a whale, virgins giving birth, food falling from the skies, water coming out of a rock, people rising from the dead, the sun standing still, witches resurrecting the dead, non-corporeal finger writing on walls, etc, etc - anyone who writes or belives that kind of stuff is really not thinking clearly and may I ask...if there is some real historical evidence about ancient biblical events -it still wouldnt prove anything about God.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-14 22:02 by seitan.

Date: March 14, 2013 21:49

This Pope hopes to remaster the Bible with Bob Clearmountain.
2000 years and not a single remaster...its time already.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 14, 2013 22:15

Munichhilton

Not true, there have been many remasters and deluxe editions.

There have been remixes as well.

The Mormons have the drum n bass version for sure.

Date: March 14, 2013 22:25

GravityBoy
Munichhilton

Not true, there have been many remasters and deluxe editions.

There have been remixes as well.

The Mormons have the drum n bass version for sure.

I submit to you that Bob was never a part of any of those unofficial remasters...This baby needs some brickwalling

Date: March 14, 2013 22:28

Jehovahs Witnesses have the Unplugged version.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 14, 2013 23:19

And God is from Dartford.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 14, 2013 23:28

Date: March 14, 2013 23:42

Rollin' Stoner

That's funny as hell

Date: March 14, 2013 23:47

Speakin of religion, Has the Stones ever recorded any gospel songs ??
I cant think of any..Hmmm...Shine a Light - is that a gospel song ?The only gospel they ever did ??

- Other than Keith's Wingless Angels project but really...I cant remember any other gospel songs than Shine A Light ?

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 14, 2013 23:47

seitan
Rollin' Stoner

That's funny as hell
Hell yeah!

Date: March 15, 2013 00:03

Satan appeared to Charlie Louvin after he imbibed copious of moomshine.

Date: March 15, 2013 00:04

seitan
Speakin of religion, Has the Stones ever recorded any gospel songs ??
I cant think of any..Hmmm...Shine a Light - is that a gospel song ?The only gospel they ever did ??

- Other than Keith's Wingless Angels project but really...I cant remember any other gospel songs than Shine A Light ?

Sure thing seitan....Just Wanna See His Face is a yearning to be more intimate with God...Saint Of Me recalls all of the selfless things Jesus and various decipals did to become saints while at the same time regretting that you will never achieve such favor in Gods eyes...and who can forget the unforgivable...God Gave Me Everything...damn close to becoming a Stones song...

There is more but you probably don't care

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home