Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Now Bill Wyman is to reveal his side of the Stones story in autobiography
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:13

Erik_Snow
...Yes, his first book was went too much into uneccessary details, but who can blame him...it was his first book, and he was merely a youngster at the time...

How old was he when he wrote Stone Alone?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:14

stonesrule
Bill is not half as whiny as numerous memmbers of IORR. And at least he knows what he's talking about.

You got that right.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:29

Braincapers
Erik_Snow
...Yes, his first book was went too much into uneccessary details, but who can blame him...it was his first book, and he was merely a youngster at the time...

He said it took him 15 years to write. So he was actually just turning 40 when he started, and he was 54 when it was published by the time of this interview. At the beginning of the interview clip below, he says the book was "like a therapy. I did it for a hobby."

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:30

Braincapers
Erik_Snow

54! it was published in 1990

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:37

He leaves no stone unturned.

i hope that's not a girlfriend with him.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-18 22:39 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:40

sweet neo con
He leaves no stone unturned.

i hope that's not a girlfriend with him.
Probably showing her the size of Mick's todger yawning smiley))

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:46

duke richardson
Braincapers
Erik_Snow

But of course calling him a youngster wasn't 100% serious. He was a youngster compared to Bill or any other Rolling Stone in 2013 though.

In either case, failing with ones first attempt at writing a book doesn't mean you can't deliver something better 25 years later. And I bet Bill's got a better and clearer view on things now, that he's gotten many years to relax and see things from a distance

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 18, 2013 23:43

Erik_Snow
duke richardson
Braincapers
Erik_Snow

But of course calling him a youngster wasn't 100% serious. He was a youngster compared to Bill or any other Rolling Stone in 2013 though.

In either case, failing with ones first attempt at writing a book doesn't mean you can't deliver something better 25 years later. And I bet Bill's got a better and clearer view on things now, that he's gotten many years to relax and see things from a distance

very much agree. especially as I also am older. grinning smiley

i look forward to reading it.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 18, 2013 23:46

The Rolling Stones - What a bunch of moany bitches! grinning smiley

Bill's ex girlfriend Astrid really nailed it with her observation about them in Stone Alone.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 19, 2013 00:43

His Majesty
The Rolling Stones - What a bunch of moany bitches! grinning smiley

Bill's ex girlfriend Astrid really nailed it with her observation about them in Stone Alone.

Can you give me a refresher? I'm a HUGE Astrid fan. Love al her work if she's worked....

Date: February 19, 2013 00:49

Never, ever would I say that the atmosphere of the Stones was relaxed and happy. These five incredibly strong personalities were definitely guarded, controlling their emotions. They weren't very open with EACH OTHER, so they certainly couldn't have appeared relaxed to outsiders! It was just this tension, a moodiness, a sulking. You could never call them hypocrites. They're all very real, whether their nastiness or niceness is showing. But they exercised what I'd describe as controlling silences... They're not demonstrative. It's a loose-sounding band but they're not loose people! I've never in my life experienced five such uptight people. On the other hand, if somebody's sick or in a crisis, they have always been very good and loyal.

- Astrid Lundstrom, quoted in
Bill Wyman's Stone Alone (1990)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 19, 2013 00:59

Erik_Snow
In either case, failing with ones first attempt at writing a book doesn't mean you can't deliver something better 25 years later.

Failure? Stone Alone was far from a failure.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 19, 2013 00:59

Thanks got it!
Controlling silences....I like that as the next Stones CD....

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: February 19, 2013 01:08

Brett Morgen about Bill
He goes, ‘I left all this stuff out but I’ve got to get this off my chest’ and he proceeded to pour his heart out to me,” says Morgen. “It was incredibly emotional. It was probably the most intense interview I’ve ever been a part of. It was therapy. There’s no other word around it. I think it was quite therapeutic for both of us to be honest.

This is pretty incredible to me and really makes you wish that you were a fly on the wall during these interviews. You have to wonder if Mick Jagger heard much of this since he was the main producer of Crossfire Hurricane and probably had a hand in editing the interviews for the film.

I for one would welcome this book, but only if he's 100% done with the band now and forever. I'd hate to see it destroy any possibility of him working with the Stones like Keith's book almost did.

Honestly, if a drug casualty like Keith can write a book, then so can Wyman, whose recollection of the past would be far greater IMHO.

We also know Mick Taylor has plans to write his autobiograpy someday, which I would also welcome as long as it doesn't destroy his relationship with the Stones.

Careful timing here, guys.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: February 19, 2013 01:09

I remember reading an article with Bill a few years ago where he said that he was working on a follow up of Stone Alone. He mentioned nothing then and in today's article about it being 'warts and all'. just conjecture/hype building on the journalists part.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 19, 2013 01:22

Munichhilton
Thanks got it!
Controlling silences....I like that as the next Stones CD....

probably a good thing to be...if suspicious that people will write tell-all books eventually. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 19, 2013 01:40

His Majesty
Never, ever would I say that the atmosphere of the Stones was relaxed and happy. These five incredibly strong personalities were definitely guarded, controlling their emotions. They weren't very open with EACH OTHER, so they certainly couldn't have appeared relaxed to outsiders! It was just this tension, a moodiness, a sulking. You could never call them hypocrites. They're all very real, whether their nastiness or niceness is showing. But they exercised what I'd describe as controlling silences... They're not demonstrative. It's a loose-sounding band but they're not loose people! I've never in my life experienced five such uptight people. On the other hand, if somebody's sick or in a crisis, they have always been very good and loyal.

Stiff Upper Lip ? Well that must have been before Ronnie!

Date: February 19, 2013 01:43

gotdablouse
His Majesty

Stiff Upper Lip ? Well that must have been before Ronnie!

Being in Stone Alone in most likley relates to Jones era.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 19, 2013 05:44

I can't remember if she was talking about Brian or Mick Taylor but I think she was around from 1967-82 so it could apply to all of them in general.

Bill's books aren't flawless but I like them because they have a real world approch to them. No myths just the story of a band. I too would love a chance to hear the uncut Stones interviews for Crossfire but I feel it did a good job overall of putting their best years in context.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 19, 2013 05:57

mikeeder
I too would love a chance to hear the uncut Stones interviews for Crossfire but I feel it did a good job overall of putting their best years in context.

It's the real fans who got taken. We thought it was the in depth story of the group and in the end they sort of skimmed over things with mostly video we've seen before, or just bought with Charlie Is My Darling. Once again it was for the casual fan, the fan who doesn't know a lot about the group. I think that's why they can get away being shitty to Bill. It's the deep fans who understand what Bill was to the Stones sound. He was integral and the sound slid downward after he left, especially in the studio where his sensitivity was needed most.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: February 19, 2013 10:28

Wyman, how important?

Answer, listen to your boots!, quite simply imo unmatched in a live setting buy any rock bassist for the longevity of high performance..Brussels please

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 19, 2013 10:46

It is surprising that Wyman is so open towards the press. It shows once more that the Stones depend on each other in a way, but that they all took some scarfs from battling each other. I find it understandable that he did not want to fly to New York to play two songs. Now we know why he did not take part in the final bow in London.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 19, 2013 11:33

Bill's really going for it - he's even got a Stones photo exhibition coming up.

Here's a story from today's Daily Express (UK).

The bassist recruited cartoonist Gerald Scarfe and portraitist Pam Glew, among others, to put their own spin on photos he took of the Brown Sugar hitmakers during his time in the band.

Highlights include a 1969 image of Sir Mick Jagger remade to depict the singer wrapped in a £50 bill, as well as a snapshot of guitarist Keith Richards boxing topless.

Wyman admits his bandmates weren't always willing subjects, telling Britain's The Times newspaper, "I'd be taking pictures constantly. Mick would say, 'Knock it off Bill, for Christ's sake!' They got sick and tired of it. Charlie (Watts, drummer) was always very sweet."

Wyman's Reworked show launches at the Rook & Raven Gallery in London on 27 February (13).

[www.express.co.uk]

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 19, 2013 11:57

I've always said that the afraid to fly thing was an excuse for why he quit

Date: February 19, 2013 12:23

Send It To me
I've always said that the afraid to fly thing was an excuse for why he quit

Then again, he's not flying very frequently, is he?

How many sides of the Stones can Bill reveal? He has written two books - beep, you've found the gold already, Bill!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-19 12:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 19, 2013 12:44

Maybe Bill is to much of an historian? I would rather read a 150 paged kiss and tell story than a 650 paged book of statistics.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 19, 2013 12:45

24FPS
mikeeder
I too would love a chance to hear the uncut Stones interviews for Crossfire but I feel it did a good job overall of putting their best years in context.

It's the real fans who got taken. We thought it was the in depth story of the group and in the end they sort of skimmed over things with mostly video we've seen before, or just bought with Charlie Is My Darling. Once again it was for the casual fan, the fan who doesn't know a lot about the group. I think that's why they can get away being shitty to Bill. It's the deep fans who understand what Bill was to the Stones sound. He was integral and the sound slid downward after he left, especially in the studio where his sensitivity was needed most.
I really think a longer thing could be done, and I want it to be. Still I think the way the used the footage was a good brief look at them. I know I saw some new things, if not an overwhelming amount. You are right though, I knew my wife would learn a lot about the group from it more than myself.

On the other side of it I really felt a love for Brian in their comments, and some real emotion about Altamont and for that alone it was worthy. I think not filming them on camera was a great idea. I was pissed that they didn't leave it clean in 1978 though. I didn't like the 1981 footage there as they were like a different band already, one not as on. Since Keith looked so different than three years before I felt it didn't fit visually either. The new footage kind of defeated the rest of the movie too. Still up to that point I had no complaints. Keith and Mick hadn't come off as sincere for many years, and even Mick Taylor gets a proper look.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 19, 2013 13:09

Stoneage
Maybe Bill is to much of an historian? I would rather read a 150 paged kiss and tell story than a 650 paged book of statistics.

As valuable as Bill's work is as an archivist, his was the only RS book that I didn't finish.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 19, 2013 13:27

I wrote this before in another thread, but once again: It is admireable how Wyman got out of a deep crisis and found his way intolifeagain. Today he seems to be a humourous and joyful guy. in the clipfrom 1991 he is giving the impression of a broken man.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 19, 2013 13:43

Its funny how The Stones as people seem like such train wrecks. Charlie comes across as the most "normal" and humble. But the other four? Jesus, what a dysfunctional group of men. From egomaniac, narcissistic, opportunists, users, and a whole cornucopia of less than admirable traits. Yet, reading about this bad behavior never ceases to draw an audience. So now Bill wants to write a warts all tattletale expose of his angst and pain. So what about his role in it all? Enabling Keith's addiction to continue getting a pay check. Screwing every little girl around, dating a 13 year old, and he was wronged? Pretty disgusting and self-indulgeant. Will I read it? Probably, I love history, and it would probably have some interesting nuggets. But respect him more? Please. I have said many times on this board, I love their music, and always will, but I have no illusions that for the most part they are pretty distasteful people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-19 14:04 by whitem8.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1294
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home