Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Who wants a little Love
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 22, 2013 20:30

Love Love - Great LA band. Arthur Lee was just an outstanding singer!

RIP: Arthur Lee, Bryan MacLean and Ken Forssi

What else do you like by them? She comes in Colors is one of my favorites (Play it Loud).

Re: OT: Who wants a little Love
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 22, 2013 20:42

First three albums are great.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 22, 2013 20:47

Love A Great Band-Arthur Lee. Amazing stuff!
Here's one of my favorites; Alone again or

Date: January 22, 2013 21:20

I missed out on his show when He came out, the review about that show was great. RIP Arthur Lee.

Arthur and his band Love were the first rock band ever signed to Elektra records back in 1966.

A fact reinforcing the idolization Jimi Hendrix had for Arthur Lee is that when Hendrix was found deceased, in his record collection was a copy of Love's second album Da Capo from 1967.

After filming for the Gordon Parks Jr. directed Thomasine and Bushrod, Arthur sold his then home to his good friend Max Julien.

Was to form a group called Band-Aid in 1971 with Jimi Hendrix, Steve Winwood, and African percussionist Rebop. Alas this never happened due to Hendrix's untimely death.

Is credited with having written the first punk rock song titled "7&7 Is" which appears on Love's Da Capo album in 1967. Arthur however is less than thrilled with the term "punk" as many rockers from his era and even into the 1970's tend to feel the same way.

Gave Jimi Hendrix his first paying gig. Lee produced a song for a woman named Rosa Lee Brooks titled "My Diary" in which Hendrix was hired to play guitar. The two would not cross paths again until a few years later.

Recorded four solo albums with only two seeing release. The first of is Vindicator from 1972, and the last being the self titled Arthur Lee from 1981. His second solo album was 1973's Black Beauty and was produced by Paul Rothchild for Buffalo Records, while the third was 1977's unreleased More Changes for the E.X. Pression label.

Started going bald around the age of 23 when he fell asleep in a bathtub with a hair straightening chemical in his hair. He began wearing wigs throughout the 1970s and 1980s into the early 1990s.

In May of 2006 he became the first adult in the state of Tennessee to receive a stem cell transplant. He received it to aid him in his battle with leukemia.

He and the rest of Love lived in a home nicknamed "The Castle" which was then owned by actor John Philip Law.

Arthur Lee was instrumental in The Doors having been signed to Elektra records. Elektra founder Jac Holtzman had to be persuaded more than once by Lee after not being impressed by Jim Morrison and company.

Attended the famous Dorsey High School in Los Angeles.

Syd Barrett cites Love as being a major influence on Pink Floyd and one of the main reasons the group formed in the first place.

Before co-founding Love with Johnny Echols, the two were in a soul group called The American Four. Their forty fives are considered very rare.

One of Arthur's most famous fans is Robert Plant, who has been known in the past to cover many of Love's songs during live performances. Plant has even stated how at one point he was not sure he wanted to meet Lee due to his reputation of being somewhat difficult.

Mazzy Star covered the song "Five String Serenade" for their platinum album "So Tonight That I Might See", which inevitably made Love's obscure 1992 album (which would later be re-issued and re-titled as "Five String Serenade") Arthur Lee's most profitable venture. "Five String Serenade" was originally released on the French label then known as New Rose.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 22, 2013 21:40

Forever Changes is definitely one of the greatest albums ever made. The first 3 are all classics and Four Sail has its moments. Arthur Lee was the American Syd Barrett. A genius.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 22, 2013 23:34

Jimi Hendrix jammed with Love in a studio session from 1970.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: January 23, 2013 04:46

me

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 23, 2013 05:02

okay rr.... please list age & hobbies

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 23, 2013 05:30

Found a Danish TV special from 1970, featuring interviews and live performance from Copenhagen in March 1970. Funny how the opening sequence of Part 1 features a Beatles song to introduce the band--"All you need is Love, Love, Love is all you need..."

Date: January 23, 2013 05:37

Rm: 88, shuffleboard, knitting, eating prunes

Date: January 23, 2013 05:41

....perfect.... half my age .... sober habits and regular ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 23, 2013 05:47

thumbs upsmiling bouncing smiley it's a match, then!

Date: January 23, 2013 05:57

..... you da boss....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 23, 2013 06:33

Posed for a pic out in front of the Castle when I was in LA a few years ago.

Forever Changes is on my short list for greatest album ever.

I never got to see Arthur (I finally seriously got into the band literally the week he died) but I did catch Baby Lemonade (who were basically the final line-up of Love) play a set of Love songs with Johnny Echols sitting in on guitar at Maxwell's in Hoboken a few years ago and it was wonderful.

And if you're into Love but haven't seen the Love Story doc, do it now! It's available on DVD and also up on youtube. Here's the trailer:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-23 06:35 by JuanTCB.

Date: January 23, 2013 10:20

Arthur Lee & Love-Seven & Seven Is (Live) Glastonbury 2003
video: [youtu.be]

Date: January 23, 2013 10:55

video: [youtu.be]
Arthur Lee & The American Four-Stay Away 1965.

1963–1966

Lee, who had lived in Los Angeles since the age of five, had been recording since 1963 with his bands, the LAG's and Lee's American Four. He had also produced a single, "My Diary", for Rosa Lee Brooks in 1964 which featured Jimi Hendrix on guitar.[3] A garage outfit, The Sons Of Adam, which included future Love drummer Michael Stuart, also recorded a Lee composition, "Feathered Fish". However, after viewing a Byrds performance, Lee became determined to join the newly minted folk-rock sound of the Byrds to his primarily rhythm and blues style.[2] Byrds roadie Bryan MacLean joined the band just before they changed their name to Love, spurred by the release of a single by another group called The Grass Roots.[2] Love's bassist, Johnny Fleckenstein, went on to join the Standells in 1967.

Love started playing the Los Angeles clubs in April 1965 and became a popular act. At this time, they were playing extended numbers such as "Revelation" (originally titled "John Lee Hooker") and getting the attention of such contemporaries as the Rolling Stones and the Yardbirds. The band lived communally in a house called "the Castle", and their first two albums included photographs shot in the garden of that house.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 23, 2013 18:48

JuanTCB
Posed for a pic out in front of the Castle when I was in LA a few years ago.

Forever Changes is on my short list for greatest album ever.

I never got to see Arthur (I finally seriously got into the band literally the week he died) but I did catch Baby Lemonade (who were basically the final line-up of Love) play a set of Love songs with Johnny Echols sitting in on guitar at Maxwell's in Hoboken a few years ago and it was wonderful.

And if you're into Love but haven't seen the Love Story doc, do it now! It's available on DVD and also up on youtube. Here's the trailer:

Be cool to see your picture outside the Castle

Arthur revists the Castle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home