Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Semi 0T; Great slideplayers besides Mick Taylor
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 21:36

<A great live clip showing George at his best. I wish they would release this entire show. From Japan tour with Clapton and Andy Fairweather Low. Great band!>

Nice back-up band, indeed! I once saw Clapton talk about this tour. It was his idea. He tried to make it easy on George by offering himself and his band for back-up. After the Japan tour he suggested perhaps... touring America? But according to EC George said he just wanted to go home. Interesting...isn't it? A shy almost reclusive man (relatively speaking) being in The Beatles and through all that.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 17, 2013 03:39

Yup George was a famous recluse who preferred gardening over the lime light. I believe he had a nagging grudge on how bad his 74 tour unfolded, and wanted to redeem it with some good live shows in Japan. Tour? No way! Just a mini tour in Japan, a one off show for a political cause in Britain, then back to gardening. Great stuff found on the Live in Japan double disc.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: February 17, 2013 03:50

billy hector from new jersey,love mt,billy blows him off the map.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 17, 2013 04:20

Geoff Muldaur

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: February 17, 2013 06:54

Bob Brozman deserves a mention

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 17, 2013 09:20

His Majesty
stonehearted
lazzzybones
Here's one from leftfield-Paul McCartney-based on his performance at 12/12/12 with Nirvana. That's one nasty sounding little geetar Pauly's a-playin' there! Nothing wrong with his slide skills. Can anyone put it up?

Some of the best guitar solos on Beatles records were actually played by Paul. George couldn't quite get the hang of the lead lines for one of his own songs [Taxman], so Paul stepped in and played the lead guitar. That's also Paul on the opening title track to Sgt. Pepper, playing bass, rhythm, and lead guitar--eight arms to hold you indeed!

There's 2 rhythm guitars and the lead, George or John play one of the rhythm guitars.[/quote

Yes, and interesting to note that Harrison didn't really play slide with The Beatles, accept on Free as Bird, which was on of the sticking points for McCartney. At first he didn't want the slide on it, saying it sounded too much like a George solo song. Discussions ensued, and Harrison's distinctive slide stayed. Delaney Bramlett introduced Harrison to slide and he played his first slide on All Things Must Pass. The few Beatles songs that had slide, like For You Blue, was played by John.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-17 12:36 by whitem8.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 18, 2013 23:02

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 23, 2013 14:07

Les Dudek, slide guitar

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 29, 2013 09:18

Duane Allman has obviously gotten alot of mentions here, and understandably so but I think Duane, as great as he was, was just scratching the surface of his talents. I think Derek Trucks is better in alot of ways than Duane simply because Duane died so young. I think Derek took what Duane started to another place. Trucks is unbelieveable. I think he's so eclectic that sometimes people don't know what to make of him, and as far as just hearing him play, while I acknowledge his skill, he's not my favorite. I say the same thing about SRV. People assume I'm into SRV because I play blues and I admire the mans abilities. He was incredible, but not my favorite.

As far as my favorite slide players, in no particular order, Duane Allman, Mick Taylor, Jason Isbell, Earl Hooker, Elmore James, Eric Clapton......

Any Clapton fans out there notice how much slide playing showed up on Clapton's solo albums in the '70's? He never played much slide live. Certain songs like "Tulsa Time" and "Early In The Morning" were in open A or G and he played slide on those, but his the slide solo's he played on record were often replaced by fingered leads in standard tuning when he played live.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: March 29, 2013 09:35

Ry Cooder and Lowell George, who is the most creative slide player.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1881
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home