Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Semi 0T; Great slideplayers besides Mick Taylor
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 22, 2013 19:55

Erik_Snow
T&A
anyone else think erik should be banned again?

Obviously "one"

think of it as a "time out" where you get to think about your behavior and how you could better be conducting yourself in the public arena.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 23, 2013 00:56

Earl Hooker.

C

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: January 23, 2013 01:08

rod price-foghat

Date: January 23, 2013 01:34

microvibe
rod price-foghat

yeah - he was ok. been shuffling thru foghat discs in the car the past week. he and lonesome dave made a nifty pair.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: January 23, 2013 02:49

Sonny Landreth

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 23, 2013 02:59

Ron Woods slide on the Faces 'Around the Plynth" and "That's All You Need' was pretty cool indeed......

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: January 23, 2013 14:46

Here's one from leftfield-Paul McCartney-based on his performance at 12/12/12 with Nirvana. That's one nasty sounding little geetar Pauly's a-playin' there! Nothing wrong with his slide skills. Can anyone put it up?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 24, 2013 02:59

T&A
hound dog taylor, who was quoted as saying "i can't play shite, but i can sure make it sound good." that's sorta what slide playing is all about....

I would never say this out of fear of showing my ignorance, but that is how I feel about slide playing. I cannot remember if I ever heard someone who was a terrible slide player. Seems like everyone is passable and some are truly exceptional.

In '72 Taylor played two solos on LIV, the first was slide, the second was fingers. It is always the second solo that knocks me out.

Date: January 24, 2013 03:21

pmk251
T&A
hound dog taylor, who was quoted as saying "i can't play shite, but i can sure make it sound good." that's sorta what slide playing is all about....

I would never say this out of fear of showing my ignorance, but that is how I feel about slide playing. I cannot remember if I ever heard someone who was a terrible slide player. Seems like everyone is passable and some are truly exceptional.

In '72 Taylor played two solos on LIV, the first was slide, the second was fingers. It is always the second solo that knocks me out.

you're wise beyond your years. and i'm assuming you're 251 years old....

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 24, 2013 03:27

lazzzybones
Here's one from leftfield-Paul McCartney-based on his performance at 12/12/12 with Nirvana. That's one nasty sounding little geetar Pauly's a-playin' there! Nothing wrong with his slide skills. Can anyone put it up?

Some of the best guitar solos on Beatles records were actually played by Paul. George couldn't quite get the hang of the lead lines for one of his own songs [Taxman], so Paul stepped in and played the lead guitar. That's also Paul on the opening title track to Sgt. Pepper, playing bass, rhythm, and lead guitar--eight arms to hold you indeed!

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 29, 2013 11:54

Duane, Dicky, Warren, Derek.

But check out Luther Dickinsons solo in this tasty Velvet Underground cover:

Date: January 29, 2013 12:27

I've been listening to the early Eric Clapton-stuff lately (Dominos, solo, Cream, Blind Faith).

He really deserves a mention in this thread. Great playing, albeit he can be a bit sloppy with the bottleneck sometimes.

Date: January 29, 2013 12:43

Has Billy Gibbons been mentioned?
So many great wizards on this list; you can't beat Duane, Ry, Lowell etc., but for pure attack I love Jeffrey Lee Pierce (Gun Club) on slide; especially on the "Fire Of Love" album.

I love Taylor and Ron on slide both. Dont think they can be compared.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 14, 2013 20:01

Ronnie

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 14, 2013 20:36

Mathijs
Rollin' Stoner
dadrob
that is pedal steel which is a different instrument....
its a guitar lying on its back

A pedal steel has as much to do with a guitar as a violin with a harp.

Mathijs

Don't let Robert Randolph hear you say that. He might not only disagree with you but may also set about to proving you wrong.
[www.robertrandolph.net] (I LOVE "GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION")

A couple others to check out:
A band from Georgia, USA "Delta Moon" has two slide players in the band who do a great job playing off/with each other. [www.deltamoon.com]

Watermelon Slim [www.watermelonslim.com] This guy is a treasure who should be seen at all costs.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 14, 2013 21:08

....and cue the Junior Brown faithful...he invented the Guitsteel

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 14, 2013 21:33

Kelly Joe Phelps, he is still active.
verynice, modest guy.

Sonny landreth, the same.

Enjoy

Jeroen

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 14, 2013 21:53

RONNIE WOODsmileys with beersmileys with beer

jeroen

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 14, 2013 22:29

..................................... Frank Hutchison circa 1928 ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 14, 2013 22:54

Seasick Steve

Posted by: UnderThumb ()
Date: February 15, 2013 22:24

Sonny Landreth

[youtu.be]

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: February 16, 2013 12:53

T&A
latebloomer
T&A
latebloomer
T&A
let me use this opportunity to give my annual plug to ex-nighthawk jimmy thackery....one of the greatest players ever...slide or otherwise.

I used to work with Jimmy's wife Sally many years ago in DC. I wasn't familiar with The Nighthawks then, I remember Sally talking about her husband the musician. The Nighthawks were very big in the DC area, I haven't followed what Jimmy's been up to since then and I lost touch with Sally when I left the company where we both worked.

cool. you ever heard the tales of the nighthawks and GT & the Destroyers playing in clubs across the street from one another? let me know if you want me to finish the story...

Well of course T&A, you can't leave me hanging on those...

they would synch-up around midnight and both bands would play elmo's madison blues (slide guitars a-blazin', mind you)....george and jimmy would meet up in the middle of the street and switch guitar cables and then head into the opposite club, never missing a beat along the way. awesome stuff. i have a new year's eve broadcast from one of these...

when the nighthawks played a show in eugene at the wow hall in the early 80's, jimmy (playing a wireless, obviously) wandered out one exit during madison blues....never missed a beat/note....and a few minutes later came back in the opposite entrance, having just completed a trip around the block. the wow hall was indeed wowed.

jimmy's a master slide guy....during a show, he'll often grab a patron's beer bottle and play side with that for a tune...

How about Steady Rollin No Controlin Bob Margolin? If you are familiar with Thackery surely you know of Bob.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 16, 2013 13:05

Speaking of slide - a huge Duane Allman 7 cd set is coming out next month, entitled Skydog.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 16, 2013 13:10

Talking 'slideplayers' Mick Taylor isn't exactly the first name I'm thinking of...Johnny Winter is a much bigger name here....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 15:26

A great live clip showing George at his best. I wish they would release this entire show. From Japan tour with Clapton and Andy Fairweather Low. Great band!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 15:47

Pretty killer slide here, hell the whole thing is hot!

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 16, 2013 16:27

Yes, Rod Price!

And Carolyn Wonderland!!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 16, 2013 16:47

stonehearted
lazzzybones

Some of the best guitar solos on Beatles records were actually played by Paul. George couldn't quite get the hang of the lead lines for one of his own songs [Taxman], so Paul stepped in and played the lead guitar. That's also Paul on the opening title track to Sgt. Pepper, playing bass, rhythm, and lead guitar--eight arms to hold you indeed!

There's 2 rhythm guitars and the lead, George or John play one of the rhythm guitars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-16 16:48 by His Majesty.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 16, 2013 17:29

+ 1 for Hound Dog Taylor.

J.B.Hutto, anybody?

For acoustic slide, I haven't heard anyone who can touch Blind Willie Johnson.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 18:58

This guy sounds ok to me.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1706
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home