Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Chicago Transit Authority 1967-Chicago
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 11, 2012 17:49

I was just listening to Chicago Transit Authority's first double album 1969 with some great songs' Does anybody really know what time it is and Spencer Davis cover I'm a Man and Terry Katz on Free Form Guitar. The Band formed in 1967 with;Robert Lamm-James-Lee Roughnane-James Pankow-Walt Parazaider-+Terry Katz-Danny Seraphine and Peter Cetera.The name was changed after the first album.
At the end of the sixties and early seventies you could hear their music everywhere. Chicago is still excisting and touring ; Robert Lamm-Lee Roughnane-James Pankow-Walt Parazaider-Jason Scheff-Tris Imboden-Keith Howland-Lou Pardini and Walfredo Reyes Jr.

Would like to hear your comments?

Re: Chicago Transit Authority 1967-Chicago
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 11, 2012 18:05

one of my all-time fave records....terry kath has to be one of the most under-appreciated guitarists...hendrix was a fan and stole from him. tragic way to die...the idiot...

Date: December 11, 2012 18:10

StonesTod
one of my all-time fave records....terry kath has to be one of the most under-appreciated guitarists...hendrix was a fan and stole from him. tragic way to die...the idiot...

Terry Kath amazing guitar playerthumbs up

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: December 11, 2012 18:40

I have a poster for a show where the Chicago Transit Authority opened for the Velvet Underground at the Whiskey-a-Go-Go. Interesting combination....

Date: December 11, 2012 18:47

batcave
I have a poster for a show where the Chicago Transit Authority opened for the Velvet Underground at the Whiskey-a-Go-Go. Interesting combination....

Can You scan it and post it?
The Velvet Underground I've seen live

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 11, 2012 19:02

Have always loved Terry's playing and was a big Chicago fan back in the day...haven't kept up with them since Cetera left in the mid-80s, but that original lineup was really something!

Date: December 11, 2012 19:05

Jah Paul
Have always loved Terry's playing and was a big Chicago fan back in the day...haven't kept up with them since Cetera left in the mid-80s, but that original lineup was really something!

they had a great run up until the mid-70's. the press and critics were unduly hard on them...but i think history will be much kinder. those horn arrangements were very advanced and ahead of their time. great, great band for a time.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 11, 2012 19:06

StonesTod

awful

I didnt know ..i thought he OD'd

Date: December 11, 2012 19:07

duke richardson
StonesTod

awful

I didnt know ..i thought he OD'd

yeah - playing with drugs is one thing...

Date: December 11, 2012 19:20

another fine Chicago vinyl album I listen to is called "Chicago" with Terry Kath
The inset cover shows a Cops and Chicago-Robbers with money flying around in 1930th cars."Untouchables".

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: December 11, 2012 19:21

Danny Seraphine's daughter was the hottest girl in my Grammar school

Date: December 11, 2012 19:23

doubledoor
Danny Seraphine's daughter was the hottest girl in my Grammar school

How about posting a photo of Her?

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: December 11, 2012 19:33

First saw CTA at The Atlantic city Pop Festival (aug. 1st 2nd & 3rd 1969) which was 2 weeks before Woodstock. I've have spoken to very few people who have ever heard of this festival but it was a killer 3 days!!! Google it and I think you'll be surprised. The second time was 2 days after their 2nd album was released they played my high school in Wilmington Delaware! They were always fun to see back then. Other bands that played at my high school were : Vanilla Fudge... B.B. King... Paul Butterfield's Blues Band....Bonnie Raitt...Jackson Browne.... Linda Ronstadt. Jackson Browne and Linda Ronstadt played the same night. I was the student committee chair for these shows and would inter act with the agents and bands. Everybody in all the bands were very cool and always blown away that a high school was putting on the show. One exception was Jackson A-Hole Browne he had a temper tantrum when he realized he was playing a high school. He and David Lindley locked themselves in a classroom and wouldn't speak to anyone ( school newspaper ). His performance was still outstanding but what a D_BAG!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 11, 2012 19:58

The first time I saw CTA was back in 1969 when they opened for Hendrix. I saw them twice after in the 70's (with Kath & Cetera) at Balboa Stadium in Sandy Ego.

Another band with a great first album.

Date: December 11, 2012 20:03

fleabitmonkey
First saw CTA at The Atlantic city Pop Festival (aug. 1st 2nd & 3rd 1969) which was 2 weeks before Woodstock. I've have spoken to very few people who have ever heard of this festival but it was a killer 3 days!!! Google it and I think you'll be surprised. The second time was 2 days after their 2nd album was released they played my high school in Wilmington Delaware! They were always fun to see back then. Other bands that played at my high school were : Vanilla Fudge... B.B. King... Paul Butterfield's Blues Band....Bonnie Raitt...Jackson Browne.... Linda Ronstadt. Jackson Browne and Linda Ronstadt played the same night. I was the student committee chair for these shows and would inter act with the agents and bands. Everybody in all the bands were very cool and always blown away that a high school was putting on the show. One exception was Jackson A-Hole Browne he had a temper tantrum when he realized he was playing a high school. He and David Lindley locked themselves in a classroom and wouldn't speak to anyone ( school newspaper ). His performance was still outstanding but what a D_BAG!

there were alot of big fests that summer...the texas pop one a month after woodstock was a killer fest with an amazing lineup - soundboards have surfaced for most it, too...

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: December 11, 2012 20:14

I absolutely love "Beginnings"

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 11, 2012 20:16

StonesTod
fleabitmonkey

there were alot of big fests that summer...the texas pop one a month after woodstock was a killer fest with an amazing lineup - soundboards have surfaced for most it, too...

yup. Newport '69 at Devonshire Downs was another (CTA didn't play that one)

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: December 11, 2012 20:16

StonesTod
fleabitmonkey

I'll check it out,its always fun to read about these shows. most of the time if you were not from the area you had no idea. Now with the internet we are getting set list pic's and video minutes later

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 11, 2012 20:39

Super album. They never made another one like it.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 11, 2012 20:49

If you want to see a good show. Go see these guys. Great live!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 11, 2012 21:11

The Behind The Music episode on them is recommended, if only to learn that their manager/producer James William Guercio just walked away from the group when they wanted to split with him.

No lawsuits, no nothing. He didn't fight with them over money.

What a stand-up guy.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 11, 2012 21:58

They were a great band back in the day. I first saw them at the Shrine in L.A., opening for Love and Procol Harum. They really were a powerful, unique band. I was blown away by their sound, particularly "I'm a Man". Bought that double album and kind of wore it out. I saw them the following year in San Diego, with Country Joe and the Fish and Poco. Yes, Terry Kath's death was absolutely senseless.

Date: December 11, 2012 22:00

DaveG
They were a great band back in the day. I first saw them at the Shrine in L.A., opening for Love and Procol Harum. They really were a powerful, unique band. I was blown away by their sound, particularly "I'm a Man". Bought that double album and kind of wore it out. I saw them the following year in San Diego, with Country Joe and the Fish and Poco. Yes, Terry Kath's death was absolutely senseless.

have i told you lately that i hate you?

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 11, 2012 22:20

Chicago collaborated on a song with The Beach Boys in 1974:

Date: December 11, 2012 22:50

runaway
StonesTod

Terry Kath amazing guitar playerthumbs up

yes

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 11, 2012 22:54

Still remember them on Germanys Beat-club TV show in 67. Doing a great rendition of I'm a Man with the long percussion part.Made me rush out for that first double-album.
The early CTA was quite different to the later much smoother version of Chicago.
I liked them a lot as I like some of their later stuff as well.But really only a few songs. Made myself a nice compilation of that material.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 11, 2012 23:06

Poem 58 is awesome.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 11, 2012 23:11

Never really listened to this band, but i checked 'em out on Spotify because of this thread. Listening to the record Live In Concert: Toronto Rock 'n' Roll Revival 1969 and it's great. The song "26 or 6 to 4" obviously inspired Led Zeppelin's "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" -- a very obvious similarity and I'm guessing Jimmy Page nicked some parts of the Chicago song and not the opposite.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 11, 2012 23:33

LieB
Never really listened to this band, but i checked 'em out on Spotify because of this thread. Listening to the record Live In Concert: Toronto Rock 'n' Roll Revival 1969 and it's great. The song "26 or 6 to 4" obviously inspired Led Zeppelin's "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" -- a very obvious similarity and I'm guessing Jimmy Page nicked some parts of the Chicago song and not the opposite.

No, the first LZ record came out about 6 months before Chicago's first.

My good friend in high school was mad about Chicago, so I heard all their records from him, and he dragged me to see them a few times. Good band. They had great AM radio singles back in the Seventies.

Rhino Handmade has a quad version of CTA that sounds pretty interesting.
Check out the samples.

[www.rhino.com]

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 12, 2012 06:51

Favorite Chicago song, from the fifth album...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home