Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Worst screw-ups on stage
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 2, 2010 22:35

I thought the exact same thing while watching their recent live DVD. the Eagles are the anti-Stones. nothing but flawlessly played airy music, a few good songs, nothing very exciting in the ramshackle way of the Stones.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: August 3, 2010 00:37

skipstone
Miami, 1994. Brilliantly bad Keith! On this video, it's at 5:16 specifically (the first wrong note anyway!).

love it too , he seems to not to hear what he is playing..

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 3, 2010 02:02

This is the kind of shit that really pisses me off about Keith. I can play the solo to Sympathy...it's about the only thing beside open and barre chords I bothered to learn. IT IS NOT THAT HARD. It's not Stairway to Heaven!! And his guitar does not appear to have gotten knocked out of tune.

In fact it was this precise moment, when I saw this on video back in the day, that my love affair with the Stones really hit the skids.

Still makes me angry, as you can tell.

Date: August 3, 2010 02:23

Off topic, but here is an epic screw up by Van Halen from a recent tour. Jump is played off key. Wait for Eddie's guitar.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 3, 2010 02:38

I would not knock a band who performs flawlessly on stage. The Eagles do not have a front man like the Stones. They are all ver fine musicians and vocalists.

Roger Waters' performance are also flawless and technically perfect virtually all of the time. His concerts are quite remarkable.

Moral of the story: pose and strut less as a guitar player which will make for a better performance. The more Keith does this, the more times he F's up a song.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 3, 2010 05:54

stones77
I saw the Eagles last year and they played flawlessly. Note-for-note they were absolutely perfect. And perfectly boring, too.

..I agree...that's their problem.

what do they have, like maybe 5 good songs?

FIVE? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Find that Tom Waits quote!

Date: August 3, 2010 05:58

There was another thread of similar subject a while back that I commented on having made my own (VHS) tape of the Stones screwing up from various things I had managed to record (a couple of good ones from the Steel Wheels tour as well, I think, in particular the Mixed Emotions MTV Awards one with Woody being totally lost and then the Atlantic PPV with Woody playing something incredibly...different...during Miss You and the look on Mick's face and Keith shaking his head was quite funny). I hadn't really figured it out until a friend of mine just wanted to see it. It became a hilarious subject. We really got into finding the screw ups so we rented LSTNT, which is just one gigantic screw up.

It made Love You Live much more listenable.

Anyway, I love the screw ups. That slaughtering of She's So Cold from the 1982 tour is fantastic - probably one of the worst things I've ever heard and it's so intriguing.

Date: August 3, 2010 14:35

My god the tempo on this is way too fast. Let alone Woody!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 3, 2010 14:41

Bimmelzerbott
The entire show in Frankfurt on the BB tour was a @#$%& up. Just terrible!

lol!

Date: August 3, 2010 14:46

Yeah, that's the one - 4:45 is when Ronnie does some strange thing, he tries to get a harmonic out of the F# position. Watch Mick's face and and how Keith nod - it's almost rehearsed.

The problem with that song from that tour is it typifies the whole 'Vegas era' Stones - all the wiggling and dancing of the girls and the schmoozing, the way too fancy clothes, the tinkly keyboards along with their samples of various percussion (and of course Mick's horrible corporate hair cut).

Date: August 3, 2010 15:08

punkfloyd
Off topic, but here is an epic screw up by Van Halen from a recent tour. Jump is played off key. Wait for Eddie's guitar.

This is worse than every screw up Keith ever made!!! At least, Keith corrects it after a few seconds. This went on for minutes. Awful grinning smiley

Date: August 3, 2010 15:58

But for a SOLO that SFTD from 1994 is HORRIBLE! It's amazing - and it just goes to show that they can not hear shit when they leave their area. He wasn't watching what he was doing. If he was paying attention, he could play that without hearing a single note - especially since that's when he was really laying into the same three note licks that he's gotten so good at since.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 3, 2010 19:16

"The problem with that song from that tour is it typifies the whole 'Vegas era' Stones - all the wiggling and dancing of the girls and the schmoozing, the way too fancy clothes, the tinkly keyboards along with their samples of various percussion (and of course Mick's horrible corporate hair cut)."

This was 1989! Most established rock acts went this way. The Who, Clapton etc. etc....

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 3, 2010 19:21

The Van Halen thing is just dreadful!

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 3, 2010 20:06

Can't believe no one has mentioned Licks Twicks Rocks Off - you know, the version that ended on the licks live CD with the bridge cut out! Why couldn't they uswe another song or another version of the same song from another gig on an officially released CD is still beyond me.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: August 4, 2010 01:51

Wow...amazing to see this thread get a new life after laying dormant for five years!?

It has been a great read y'all..been reading it all day...and nice to see some old school posts from the great JumpingKentFlash. I miss that guy.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: August 4, 2010 02:18

punkfloyd
My god the tempo on this is way too fast. Let alone Woody!

Can agree on the tempo beeing a bit too much, but it does have it's own groove anyway. This was how it was played during Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle pretty much, as far as I know.
Cant' really see/hear Ronnie doing much wrong here, either.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 4, 2010 02:40

lettingitbleed
Wow...amazing to see this thread get a new life after laying dormant for five years!?

It has been a great read y'all..been reading it all day...and nice to see some old school posts from the great JumpingKentFlash. I miss that guy.

Still here dude. Don't have much time at the moment, but will be back when something big happens. I read IORR every day, but news is slow right now. This year I got married and we will have our first child in Janurary. Between that and work it can be hard to find the time. But I will return. Got a ticket for the Faces gig in Randers on Aug. 20 too. Will post a review of course.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: August 4, 2010 05:28

star star: Syracuse 1998 absolutely horrible. He completely left out the 2nd verse. Just a train wreck. what made it worse was we got screwed out of time is on my side which was the original winner day of original show. mick got sick show rescheduled: no time is on my side.

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: August 4, 2010 09:54

I found this amusing when I heard that Keith started YCAGWYW a half step lower in B instead of C in 2007... A bit rough for sure...

Here's a bit of background from Chuck Leavell's blog from that tour...

One funny thing did happen during “Can’t Always Get What You Want”. Keith started the song and Lisa immediately looked over at me and said…“Is that the right key?!!” I quickly checked and found that it wasn’t….we always do it in “C”, but Keith was playing it in “B”. Lisa has perfect pitch and had heard the difference straight away, thank heaven! The mishap wasn’t Keith’s fault….he had been handed a guitar with the capo (a small device that clamps on the strings of the guitar and that can be moved around to allow for playing more easily in different keys and for other purposes) in the wrong place….a half step down from where it was supposed to be. I quickly hollered at Ronnie….“…he’s playing it in B!! in B!!”…and also told some of our stage crew to go tell Darryl the same. We all adjusted without much problem…but it did keep us on our toes to have to play the song in a key we’ve never done before!

Date: August 4, 2010 16:34

That's funny. It actually sounds better in B!

The Ronnie bit in that Miss You is not so much a screw up but that he does something totally off the wall with those harmonics. It's really about Mick's face and Keith's reaction more than it is about Ronnie.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: April 9, 2013 10:19

mjmjr
star star: Syracuse 1998 absolutely horrible. He completely left out the 2nd verse. Just a train wreck. what made it worse was we got screwed out of time is on my side which was the original winner day of original show. mick got sick show rescheduled: no time is on my side.

Actually the band played Star Star in the 'wrong' key. A instead of E, which caused Mick to struggle his way through the song.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 9, 2013 12:03

mjmjr
out of time is on my side.

'Out of time' is on my side?
Or out of 'time is on my side'?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-09 16:04 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: April 9, 2013 15:35

The entire Frankfurt show on the BB Tour.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 9, 2013 16:22

DandelionPowderman
punkfloyd

This is worse than every screw up Keith ever made!!! At least, Keith corrects it after a few seconds. This went on for minutes. Awful grinning smiley

Yeah, they supposedly mistakenly played the backing track synths at wrong pitch! Or did Eddie just play the song in the wrong key? eye popping smiley

To be fair, it does sometimes sound like songs are weird key wise when you play live and there's lots of sound coming at you without much definition. When that happens you usually just have to keep on going for it.

Ears are funny things.

Date: April 9, 2013 16:44

Could be, or Eddie might have touched a knob on his tuner, or something.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: April 9, 2013 18:13

The ending of JJF on the "Ladies and Gentlemen" DVD. They shot four shows over two days, and THAT'S the one they put out?!

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 9, 2013 18:21

i like this thread, links would be great if any poss?

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 9, 2013 18:31

liddas

I can remember Keith having to start Shelter twice in London B2B tour (2nd night)

C

Same for Rough Justice in Budapest 2007.

In that year of course the Werchter show is remarkable as far as screw-ups are concerned.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 9, 2013 18:47

I only heard about this bootleg from a guy in high school (who said it's hilarious): The Stones start SYMPATHY and keeping screwing up and starting over. Finally Mick starts yelling at the band.

I read in a recent McCartney biography that when McCartney on his UNPLUGGED album screws up on We Can Work It Out and has to start over...that was planned. McCartney had learned that fans kind of like mistakes, so he put that mistake in on purpose.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1987
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home