Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: Tattoo You question
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 17, 2014 16:39

DandelionPowderman
Skippy has a good point, regarding the B/C-thing. Keith does that a lot.

Heh heh. To me it's a give away. Keith's FUH-WANK going into the riff... whatever, chord, how he digs into them like that (he did similar digging on Memory Motel during the BTB tour). And that thing at the end, it's kind of dirty and out of tune.

Seems obvious to me...

Date: October 17, 2014 16:40

Mathijs
There's only one guitar. Not two. One. On all of the 6 or 7 outtakes there's only one electric guitar. There are 2 outtakes with overdubbed (in 1981 that is) 6 and 12-string acoustics, but these were erased.

It could be that they recorded 30 takes of WOAF, of which 29 featured Taylor on blistering slide solo's and jazz fusion experiments on the electric oboe, but the one version that was chosen to overdub on in 1981, and the only version available to us, does not feature Mick Taylor.

It's the same with Brown Sugar: Taylor played on the original take, Taylor did several overdubs, but in the end all of his parts were erased and overdubbed by Keith, so there is no Mick Taylor on Brown Sugar.

Mathijs

He appears on Rocks Off only at the end!

Date: October 17, 2014 16:54

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Skippy has a good point, regarding the B/C-thing. Keith does that a lot.

Heh heh. To me it's a give away. Keith's FUH-WANK going into the riff... whatever, chord, how he digs into them like that (he did similar digging on Memory Motel during the BTB tour). And that thing at the end, it's kind of dirty and out of tune.

Seems obvious to me...

Yep, also on the TIOMS-intro in 1981/82.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: October 17, 2014 17:02

Mathijs
There's only one guitar. Not two. One. On all of the 6 or 7 outtakes there's only one electric guitar. There are 2 outtakes with overdubbed (in 1981 that is) 6 and 12-string acoustics, but these were erased.

It could be that they recorded 30 takes of WOAF, of which 29 featured Taylor on blistering slide solo's and jazz fusion experiments on the electric oboe, but the one version that was chosen to overdub on in 1981, and the only version available to us, does not feature Mick Taylor.

Mathijs

I don't know. I do know there's only one guitar. When the others are erased, we cannot listen to them anymore, so this info is useless for any musical discussion to me.

Date: October 17, 2014 23:04

TravelinMan
It doesn't sound like Richards' tone to me; he probably would have used an over the top Leslie tone at the time (I'm only half way kidding).

I was listening to the Dallas rehersals yesterday, and I was surprised that some of the rhythm guitar ended up being Taylor when he switched to playing lead.

I just listened to hip shake from the Dallas rehearsals, the lazy relaxed way of strumming, the timing and the notes on the bass string make me think again it could be Taylor. The rehearsals sound rather bored btw.

Date: October 18, 2014 16:25

She Saw Me Coming is similar riff wise to WOAF. The same little grinding note - clearly a Keith thing.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 18, 2014 21:43

LuxuryStones
TravelinMan
It doesn't sound like Richards' tone to me; he probably would have used an over the top Leslie tone at the time (I'm only half way kidding).

I was listening to the Dallas rehersals yesterday, and I was surprised that some of the rhythm guitar ended up being Taylor when he switched to playing lead.

I just listened to hip shake from the Dallas rehearsals, the lazy relaxed way of strumming, the timing and the notes on the bass string make me think again it could be Taylor. The rehearsals sound rather bored btw.

Since Jagger erased Taylors guitar track on WOAF one can asume he plays the main rhythm. MAybe on acoustic.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 18, 2014 21:46

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
If you listen to what Keith plays live, Doxa - especially when Mick is singing "don't need no virgin priest"/"it is a game for fools" etc., you'll find that Keith plays exactly the same as on the studio recording, only with a slight delay.

The stuff he plays there, is what I repeatedly has claimed to be trademark Keith.

Apparently, no one else agrees...

I fully agree with you, as I have stated over the various threads over the years, and in the beginning of this post. I just don't see any reason to continue discussing this for over 8 pages. It is Keith on rhythm guitar and there's really not a lot more to say.

Mathijs

What do you think Taylor plays, percussion? Certainly doesn't sound like him on bass. It just doesn't make any sense that Taylor would say he played on the song if it was some wiped part. Steely Dan doesn't credit any of the drummer's tracks they didn't use; those guys got paid for their session time and that was it. Taylor was being paid when they recorded then, so he obviously felt he was still on the final mix somewhere.

Date: October 18, 2014 22:10

Redhotcarpet
LuxuryStones
TravelinMan

Since Jagger erased Taylors guitar track on WOAF one can asume he plays the main rhythm. MAybe on acoustic.

That's an electric though.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 18, 2014 22:41

LuxuryStones
Redhotcarpet
LuxuryStones
TravelinMan

Boogie Woogie Woog

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 19, 2014 13:51

LuxuryStones
Redhotcarpet
LuxuryStones
TravelinMan

Yes but the track Jagger erased, Taylors guitar. Electric?

Date: October 19, 2014 14:18

Redhotcarpet
LuxuryStones
Redhotcarpet
LuxuryStones
TravelinMan

Yes but the track Jagger erased, Taylors guitar. Electric?

I don't know what tracks were erased, I have no boots with WAOF in progress, and erased tracks are useless for any musical discussion. There are 3 or 4 people here who insist it's Richards playing, cause they hear Richards in it. I'm more reluctant, I also do hear Taylor in it, but I don't persist. The guitar track is too basic to tell for sure. A few odd fills played by either Taylor or Richards don't make the difference to me. No one knows for sure, apart from Keith and Taylor, and Internet sources like wiki or songfacts often are very unreliable.

Date: October 19, 2014 15:21

Nobody here knows whether Mick, Keith or anyone erased anything. What we do know is that Mick tried two acoustic overdubs (with a six-string and a twelve-string) and that those overdubs (80 or 81) didn't make the final version.

I think Carpet is speculating about Mick trying to re-create Taylor's track eight years later, but that's a bit too far out for me. We just don't have enough information.

Date: October 19, 2014 16:23

Mmmm... I don't know what source said Mick Taylor doing two acoustic overdubs, and if so were are those boots? I would love to hear them. I'd rather think Taylor would have tried an electric overdub / solo.

All that remains is the official release with one guitar on it, that according to some internet sources say it is Taylor, and other sources say Taylor didn't make it to the final release. That's the only information we have as far as I know. Are there chapters written about it or quotes coming from producers? I never read them or find any references.

Date: October 19, 2014 16:29

Mick in this context is always Mick Jagger. Taylor, or even Keith for that matter, didn't participate in the TY studio overdubbing sessions smiling smiley

The sources are collectors who have heards these boots, which are not on the market, presumably.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-19 16:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 19, 2014 16:35

Yes, 1981 was without Keith and Taylor. Collectors are the only source apparently, and it is getting vaguer and vaguer then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-19 16:37 by LuxuryStones.

Date: October 19, 2014 18:05

So the LP was supposedly originally titled TATTOO but somehow it became TATTOO YOU.

That's weird. I guess I can see how it would make sense for it to be called TATTOO but TATTOO YOU sounds better.

Date: October 19, 2014 18:59

Potted Shrimp
MisterD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the quick info guys. The solo on
> "worried" is defintely Taylor, that in itself
> dates it to early 70's.

No, it's not............. type worried about you under search and you'll find an older thread about this topic.

Hilarious, innit, that MisterD started the thread off wondering what years the tracks come from and then suddenly this misinfo comes from him!!!!! He still didn't know yet he pulled a Fox News factoid!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 20, 2014 10:19

DandelionPowderman
Taylor, or even Keith for that matter, didn't participate in the TY studio overdubbing sessions smiling smiley

Not too sure about this -it is unknown when the overdubs (guitars, BU vocals etc) on Start Me Up have been recorded exactly. It could have been late 1980 during the recording of Neighbours etc., or mid 1981 during the vocal overdubbing sessions.

Mathijs

Date: October 20, 2014 10:29

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Taylor, or even Keith for that matter, didn't participate in the TY studio overdubbing sessions smiling smiley

Not too sure about this -it is unknown when the overdubs (guitars, BU vocals etc) on Start Me Up have been recorded exactly. It could have been late 1980 during the recording of Neighbours etc., or mid 1981 during the vocal overdubbing sessions.

Mathijs

I meant the sessions Jagger did in that warehouse in France. I assumed the minor overdubs were done there - for instance the acoustic guitars.

What we do know is that Mick worked on the songs to a degree that made Richards very impressed, and some of the songs he could hardly recognise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-20 10:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 20, 2014 19:04

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Mathijs

I meant the sessions Jagger did in that warehouse in France. I assumed the minor overdubs were done there - for instance the acoustic guitars.

What we do know is that Mick worked on the songs to a degree that made Richards very impressed, and some of the songs he could hardly recognise.

Which hardly seems surprising cool smiley

Date: October 20, 2014 22:21

Of course not, since Mick wrote new melodies and lyrics for many of those brilliant songs smoking smiley

Date: October 20, 2014 22:43

Aaah, I thought you were referring to a particular song. grinning smiley

Date: October 20, 2014 22:50

LuxuryStones
Aaah, I thought you were referring to a particular song. grinning smiley

Well, that song didn't change too much from the old version we've heard. A bit, though smiling smiley

Date: October 20, 2014 22:57

A bit? Sonny Rollins did an amazing job, as did Jagger.

Date: October 21, 2014 00:04

Of course they did. But the melody and the song was there already. For some of the other songs that wasn't the case.

Date: October 21, 2014 00:57

To me Jagger's vocals and Rollin's solo are the strongest melody-lines in this song.The chord progression is rather basic, from an harmonic point of view, but a perfect product, once finished.

Date: October 21, 2014 00:58

Agreed.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1755
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home