Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16
Re: Newest bootleg: Roundhay Park (Live, 1982)
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 17, 2012 23:48

ryanpow
we can contrast though. feel free to contrast all you want.

Can we exploit a loophole and "liken" it?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 18, 2012 00:28

liken it to? hmmmm.... Ok, i'll allow it.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 18, 2012 00:31

ryanpow

Pretty sure he meant lukin it to

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 18, 2012 00:37

Early 80's Stones are my favorite live Stones. I bought a black telecaster custom exactly like keith's when i was a teenager because of the hampton roads footage i saw& the perfect amount of twang factor he had with it. I had good taste, 17 years later i still have that telecaster and am somewhat amazed i had the sense back then to buy it. I cut a lot of lawns to get it, too.grinning smiley

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 18, 2012 00:59

Munichhilton
ryanpow

I still wonder what the hell was in that fridge.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 18, 2012 11:44

StonesTod
rooster
RobertJohnson
KeithNacho
By that time KR's lead roles were almost absolute. RW is almost unaudible here and in Hampton's. KR was great, very great during that tour, and his unique style, albeit technical limited skills, was the signature sound of the <RS i love.
During the 1975 RW had brilliant lead roles that never have repeated during this last 35 years.
Can you imagine these two guys playing properly as they did??? It could be heaven

RW isn't inaudible here, I think, brilliant sidekick work all over (absolutely e.g. in Let Me Go or at the end of TD), but also some quite good solos e.g. in Black Limo, YCAGWYW. You are right, that Ronnie was on his peak during 75/76. In general the boot series is a great rehabilitation of Ronnie's abilities, he is brilliant on LA Friday and Leeds. On no official live or studio album he could prove his great guitar skills and musicality. What a shame! Later on he was a victim of his alcohol problems and the profile neurosis of the both super-egos of the band I think.
Rom Wood came from The Faces...a great band with great songs...it was a drinkin band....with no guitar hero...tAYLOR WAS a so called guitar hero...The Stones were almost a hardrock band...with wood they went back to the R&R and punk funk blues......you cant really compare...a totally different band

we can't compare? then wtf have been here wasting our time doing the past coupla decades? thanks for telling us NOW!

Yes, we can ...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 18, 2012 12:33

straycatuk
Listened to JJF on headphones last night. Keith is ON FIRE .He seems to be lost in the moment . The 3rd verse is abandoned completely despite Mick trying to get his attention !
sc uk

The third verse starts at 2:32.

Mathijs

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: November 18, 2012 13:59

Mathijs
straycatuk
Listened to JJF on headphones last night. Keith is ON FIRE .He seems to be lost in the moment . The 3rd verse is abandoned completely despite Mick trying to get his attention !
sc uk

Mathijs
on my version (mp3) it starts at 2.28.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: November 18, 2012 15:24

jpasc95
Mathijs
straycatuk
sc uk

Mathijs
on my version (mp3) it starts at 2.28.

That's just because Keith was so into it he sped the tempo up by 4 seconds

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: November 18, 2012 22:26

falo01
excellent AUD quality
There is no such thing.

Posted by: hotspot3000 ()
Date: November 18, 2012 23:35

The wait for this to appear in Australia is excruciating

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: November 19, 2012 00:00

links for this one?......

thanz

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 19, 2012 00:13

mariano
links for this one?......

thanz

[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 19, 2012 01:29

tkl7
Doxa
aprilfool
Perhaps these six official bootlegs are a test. If these downloade shows are sold well, there will be a new pack of 6 or more. I don't know but hope it will be.

This is good question. It would be intersting to know how much these shows actually sell. Not that it would matter to the Stones directly, but for example, those instances, in this case Google Music, who put their money on it. As I understand the deal was that Google Music paid the whole thing, that is, gave tHe Stones a certain nice sum of money to provide these shows for them to release (Stonesarchive was just an extra for international market). Did their invenstment in this sense was worth of that? The pessimist in me says that it was not - and to be even more cynical, I think Google did the whole thing mostly in PR sense, and not to make big money (The Stones generally are good in selling their their brand).

I don't think there is not much money involved in the first place, so I really doubt the real interest by The Stones to do it 'by themselves' from now on - they need a partner to make it worthy for them.

- Doxa

The archive shows are listed at the top of the Stones albums by sales on google music, assuming that they aren't propped up by google. I don't think it matters to the Stones anyway, Google is not used anywhere near as much as iTunes. If the Stones were really doing this as a cash grab, they would have released this stuff on iTunes, HD Tracks, and Amazon MP3.

Whatever cash grab this whole series could have generated, it would have been nothing in comparison to the money they make from just a handful of shows. Considering the pricing structure of these downloads, it is nothing more than a nice gesture to their fans. Plus it gave them an opportunity to check their vaults and properly mix some shows which may have existed as multitracks only so far - and get paid for it! Doing so, they expanded their catalog, and who knows how these shows or parts of them will be used in the future - I'm sure that in the long run, they will generate some profit.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 19, 2012 12:09

I hope everybody who downloaded these shows, have also paid for them.
In that case we might expect more.
Maybe the next batch will be outtakes.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: November 19, 2012 13:00

FreeBird
falo01
excellent AUD quality
There is no such thing.

shut up if you have no idea what we are talking about !

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 19, 2012 14:25

BowieStone

with...like...money? yeah, right...

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: November 19, 2012 16:48

falo01
FreeBird
falo01
excellent AUD quality
There is no such thing.

shut up if you have no idea what we are talking about !
Is that you, Peter?

Date: November 19, 2012 17:45

BowieStone

Ha!

You owe me a new keyboard....I gotta clean this up

Date: November 19, 2012 17:58

NoCode0680
Munichhilton
ryanpow

I still wonder what the hell was in that fridge.

Keystone

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 20, 2012 10:24

Live at Leeds is officially available on Stones Archive store...
[www.stonesarchivestore.com]

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 20, 2012 11:56

Munichhilton
BowieStone

Ha!

You owe me a new keyboard....I gotta clean this up

Oops, sorry.
I'll check The Rolling Stones online store if they sell keyboards.

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: November 22, 2012 02:35

all following from The Last Tour book by Philip Kamin & James Karnbach

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-22 03:04 by AllAboutYours.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: November 22, 2012 05:17

AllAboutYours
all following from The Last Tour book by Philip Kamin & James Karnbach

Great photos! But your version of The Last Tour by Kamin is different than my version, which focuses only on the US '81 tour, and is also a very nice book. I'll have to look for this edition that features '82, especially now that I'm digging the new Leeds '82 release so much!

The Last Tour: 1981 by Kamin

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: November 22, 2012 07:36

I haven't plowed through all 14 pages of this thread.......I also haven't bothered to download the last 2 releases but I think I will download this one. I don't mind paying for it, but I want it in FLAC. Thing is, I'm in USA.....if anybody could help me out with the FLAC version, please send me an email.

Date: November 22, 2012 10:24

rocker1,

I have that one too and both are excellent books. 82 book was harder to get. I think there's more 81 book out there.

Date: November 22, 2012 10:26

Fantastic shots from a fantastic show! thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 22, 2012 11:26

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
How polished is this recording? It sounds too good considering the context (outdoor concert, windy etc). Is it a Bob Clearmountain job? Sounds like it. Are there any SB:s to compare with?

The balance seems like it's untouched, but the intruments' sounds are definitely tweaked.

What do you mean with tweaked? The guitars sound just like they did in '81/'82.

Mathijs

Yes they do, but seemingly both the drums and the guitars have been added/enhanced some effects in the studio (like on Brussels), in addition to the effects used live on stage (Phaser and analog delay).

What effects? The guitars sound quite straight forward to me. Some limiting and compression ofcourse, but no effects as far as I can hear. The drums have reverb and compression added.

Mathijs

Might be only reverb and compression on Wood's and Richards' guitars. However, a few places it sounds suspiciously as there is added something on at least Keith's guitar (listen to the ending of Whip, for instance).

I hear what you mean. That is not sound enhencement, but technical problems. It sounds like the microphone goes in and out of phase, or drop from the stand. It can even be tape problems.

Mathijs

Date: November 22, 2012 12:32

does there exist any really good close-ups of Keith's Mesa Boogie amps from 81-82 period?

Date: November 22, 2012 12:51

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
How polished is this recording? It sounds too good considering the context (outdoor concert, windy etc). Is it a Bob Clearmountain job? Sounds like it. Are there any SB:s to compare with?

The balance seems like it's untouched, but the intruments' sounds are definitely tweaked.

What do you mean with tweaked? The guitars sound just like they did in '81/'82.

Mathijs

Yes they do, but seemingly both the drums and the guitars have been added/enhanced some effects in the studio (like on Brussels), in addition to the effects used live on stage (Phaser and analog delay).

What effects? The guitars sound quite straight forward to me. Some limiting and compression ofcourse, but no effects as far as I can hear. The drums have reverb and compression added.

Mathijs

Might be only reverb and compression on Wood's and Richards' guitars. However, a few places it sounds suspiciously as there is added something on at least Keith's guitar (listen to the ending of Whip, for instance).

I hear what you mean. That is not sound enhencement, but technical problems. It sounds like the microphone goes in and out of phase, or drop from the stand. It can even be tape problems.

Mathijs

I think you're right there, but don't you think Clearmountain added something there to mend the sound in the mix - on the 5 or 6 occasions it happened? I dunno...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home