Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 20
Re: ONE MORE SHOT (listen here!)
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: November 8, 2012 14:42

Honestman
audun-eg
And I would like to hear the whiners here make a better song! smiling bouncing smiley

What's the point with the whiners ?
Some people here (and I'm in) just give their 2cts. It's not because we like a Band that we should say Wow each time they released somethin' new.

I don't think you have to be a songwriter or musician to have an opinion on a song. It's a matter of taste anyway, but still the general mood on this board the last couple of years seems to be that the Stones should have retired at least twenty years ago, and everything they have done since Tattoo You is pure shite.

No harm in not liking these two new songs, but posts like "It's shite" and simillar are just pointless, so how about going a bit deeper in analyzing why one doesn't like it? This gives the threads a little more quality and don't make them seem so "whiney".

I certainly don't WOW these two new songs, but they are new recordings from my favorite band, the first in 7 years. I think that's good even though these songs are far from their most classic work, but I'll still enjoy them for what they are: Fresh new recordings from The Rolling Stones. And they're not bad tunes/recordings either.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 8, 2012 14:43

Doom and Gloom 9/10
One More Shot 5/10

Ok, here's mine; not kidding
Doom and Gloom 2/10
One More Shot 2/10

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 8, 2012 14:45

Erik_Snow
Doom and Gloom 9/10
One More Shot 5/10

Doom and Gloom 2/10
One More Shot 2/10

OK and what about Mick's voice?

Date: November 8, 2012 14:48

audun-eg
No harm in not liking these two new songs, but posts like "It's shite" and simillar are just pointless, so how about going a bit deeper in analyzing why one doesn't like it? This gives the threads a little more quality and don't make them seem so "whiney".

One would end up spending more time "analyzing" it than it must have taken to write the song. Could you analyzing a chewing gum or the sound of footsteps too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-08 14:50 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 8, 2012 14:49

audun-eg
Honestman
audun-eg
And I would like to hear the whiners here make a better song! smiling bouncing smiley

Some people here (and I'm in) just give their 2cts. It's not because we like a Band that we should say Wow each time they released somethin' new.

I don't think you have to be a songwriter or musician to have an opinion on a song. It's a matter of taste anyway, but still the general mood on this board the last couple of years seems to be that the Stones should have retired at least twenty years ago, and everything they have done since Tattoo You is pure shite.

I certainly don't WOW these two new songs, but they are new recordings from my favorite band, the first in 7 years. I think that's good even though these songs are far from their most classic work, but I'll still enjoy them for what they are: Fresh new recordings from The Rolling Stones. And they're not bad tunes/recordings either.

Only saying "It's great!" is ok though?

Not much analysis needed to hear why people think they are shite.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 8, 2012 14:52

Erik_Snow
Doom and Gloom 9/10
One More Shot 5/10

Doom and Gloom 2/10
One More Shot 2/10

I use my old 'one to five' smokers scale:

"Doom and Gloom": smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley
"One More Shot":smoking smiley

- Doxa

Date: November 8, 2012 14:53

Erik_Snow
Doom and Gloom 9/10
One More Shot 5/10

Doom and Gloom 2/10
One More Shot 2/10

Sorry, I can't do that. It would sound to negative. But it's all in the context of the song; I can't blame Jagger voice, directly, here. Impossible to sing those songs, with those lyrics and "lift the song". The only positive thing I can say is that Jagger doesn't sound like he's 69

Posted by: FolkyFireKitten1 ()
Date: November 8, 2012 14:55

Funny song...

Date: November 8, 2012 14:57

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-08 15:05 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 8, 2012 14:58

You can't listen to "One More Shot" and not hear "You Shook Me All Night Long".

Doom and Gloom had ZZ Top stylings.

But OMS is a direct lift.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: November 8, 2012 14:58

His Majesty
audun-eg
Honestman
audun-eg

Only saying "It's great!" is ok though?

Not much analysis needed to hear why people think they are shite.

Ok. "Analyzing" was a too strong word. Anyway, "It's shite" or "It's great" are equally pointless to me anyway. What is shite about it and what's great? I'm sorry that I've misunderstood this beeing a discussion board all these years.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 8, 2012 15:03

It prevents me from falling asleep at once but nothing more; a decent, mediocre track after 7 (seven) years of vacation. This is really awkward. There is nothing left of writing competencies, of musicality, of any genius. It is self-plagiarism on a very low level: "We have to come around with something that makes some noise, take some chords, some oh, oh's, some slide, some stupid lyrics, mix it and push it onto the market. Our fans are deaf as we are ... But they will pay for any garbage they get."

Date: November 8, 2012 15:04

GravityBoy

they have 'interesting' sources of inspiration these days!grinning smiley

What next: a bit of Urian Heep or Black Sabbath? Iron Maiden? Or even Metallica?

- Doxa

Date: November 8, 2012 15:08

Doxa
GravityBoy

they have 'interesting' sources of inspiration these days!grinning smiley

What next: a bit of Urian Heep or Black Sabbath? Iron Maiden? Or even Metallica?

- Doxa

Concerning the drum machine on DG rather Milli Vanilli ...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 8, 2012 15:10

I prefer this mediocre song to another Keith crooner anytime.

Posted by: Mikael ()
Date: November 8, 2012 15:11

One More Shot as well? Good. Saves me from buying grrr.

But what I meant to say was that it would have made a decent b-side; not a- side or album material. As opposed to Doom.

And that it´s more than I expected. I knew that Mick is still capable of writing and singing great music.

Not so sure about the others.

So... A Smaller Bang?

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: November 8, 2012 15:13

The opening riff is "Happy" slowed down, and the opening drum riff is a copy of an 80s opening drum drop in, something like "She's so Cold".

Lyrics sound like a lame version of the current state if affairs from Keith's perspective:

Lyrics are lame, as is dumb chorus repeat.

I'm sure Keith had better stuff, ok not sure but hoping, he used in studio with Wino's. This is IMO, something he wrote quickly, and recently and Mick's effort on it matches Keith's effort on Doom and Gloom.

Sad they're songwriting and musical making ability is at this stage, and I doubt Don Was or Chuck is helping much, as both likely don't have the Stones to speak up in fear of being axed and losing the best gig they ever had, or will ever have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-17 19:52 by chelskeith.

Date: November 8, 2012 15:13

Erik_Snow
-

Erik, I admit my criterion is a bit lighter in regards to recent years. it is impossible to be so 'objective' or 'equal' all the time... It will look too bad... there needs be some 'contextual' aspects to take into consideration... (perhaps there needs to be different scales altogether for different 'eras'?)

- Doxa

Date: November 8, 2012 15:14

Doxa
Erik_Snow
-

Erik, I admit my criterion is a bit lighter in regards to recent years. it is impossible to be so 'objective' or 'equal' all the time... It will look too bad... there needs be some 'contextual' aspects to take into consideration... (perhaps there needs to be different scales altogether for different 'eras'?)

- Doxa

I realised that, Doxa, which is why I edited. Difficult to compare

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 8, 2012 15:18

I was hoping for more heroin references.

Date: November 8, 2012 15:18

RobertJohnson

Idiotic comment. eye rolling smiley

Sequencing software, not a drum machine.

Date: November 8, 2012 15:24

His Majesty
RobertJohnson

Oh, yes, sequencing software and the Stones, o tempora, o mores!

Date: November 8, 2012 15:25

RobertJohnson
His Majesty
RobertJohnson

Used also on Plundered My Soul. winking smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 8, 2012 15:27

i'll tell you how much i don't like it: i hate it and i haven't even listened to it. it doesn't get any worse than that, folks.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 8, 2012 15:27

DandelionPowderman
Gazza
black n blue
What do you want from these guys! At least something new.

Dear God. How desperate are some Stones fans?

If their fans think they're 'The Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World' what does it say when your standards have been reduced to 'anything new will suffice' ?

I give it a 7 out of 10

That's the problem. Its Ok, and not horrible, but if this is all they have left in the tank after seven years of no new material, then why bother? Especially from Keith, who has been all but inactive as a writer since 1997.

It's good in parts, but very much Stones-By-Numbers. Recorded in a hurry as filler and it really sounds like it.

I agree, but I still think Doom And Gloom was more than "Stones by numbers". That certainly was a pleasant surprise for me.

And can we really expect two new killer tracks on a greatest hits compilation, from a group that hasn't been working in the studio together for 8 years?

Yes we can. They dont need to be 'working in a studio together' to be able to write good songs. Especially as they don't even write together anyway.

How difficult can it be for a band with three songwriters to come up with two very good songs - let alone 'killer' songs - after 8 years?

And, for the record, I thought 'Doom and Gloom' was very good indeed. But I wasnt referring to that song when I used the term 'Stones By Numbers'.

People really think they have another top class album in them? The muse and desire simply aren't there anymore, guys. Face facts.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: November 8, 2012 15:28

the chorus definitely reminds me of AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night

Date: November 8, 2012 15:29

His Majesty
RobertJohnson
His Majesty
RobertJohnson

Another weak effort of a band formerly known as the greatest Rock'n Roll band on earth ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-08 15:29 by RobertJohnson.

Date: November 8, 2012 15:29

Max'sKansasCity
After listening I get pieces of "Rough Justice" and "Take it so hard" running through my head.... not saying that means a damned thing... just saying.
..that you shouldn't take it so hard?

Well then just say it.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: November 8, 2012 15:31

Erik_Snow
Erik_Snow
Doom and Gloom 9/10
One More Shot 5/10

Doom and Gloom 2/10
One More Shot 2/10

Sorry, I can't do that. It would sound to negative. But it's all in the context of the song; I can't blame Jagger voice, directly, here. Impossible to sing those songs, with those lyrics and "lift the song". The only positive thing I can say is that Jagger doesn't sound like he's 69

geez...it is a piece of uninspired garbage...i toally agree with the numbers given by comrade Erik...so what if Mick doesn't sound 69...it's not any good...it's really just not worth a damn...and i wanted it to be...but what a total load of crap...there is no way that any sane person could listen to this and say 'wow that's a good Stones song"...it sounds exactly what it is...'we need at least 2 new songs guyes to sell this thing...ok Mick you get one and Keith you get one..."...it's not even on a level with Mixed Emotions...at least now i don't even have to bother for stealing the songs off of Soulseek...

Date: November 8, 2012 15:35

RobertJohnson
His Majesty
RobertJohnson
His Majesty
RobertJohnson

Another weak effort of a band formerly known as the greatest Rock'n Roll band on earth ...

I agree, but that's a silly title anyway.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1468
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home