Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 43
Re: Rolling stones secret gig In Paris
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:53

MRambler

Little bit longer version in hd quality in RS youtube channel

You got to hand it to Mick.

He's got enormous balls to be doing that at 69.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:53

What a disembodied version. No energy. No guitars.

MRambler

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:55

Just listened to that portion of JJF. My God if they played it any slower or with any less energy it would be a freaking ballad. They may as well bring out the stools and do a nice mellow unplugged sort of thing. I suggest they all drink some espresso before they get on stage.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:55

cowboytoast
gotdablouse
Duane in Houston's post is indeed a bit harsh but he makes a point about Ronnie's playing that I made yesterday and that I haven't seen elsewhere really as most reviews say he "shone on guitar"...I don't know if it was the particularly loud sound we had right in the front but (the sound in the video sounds better oddly enough) but I also found most of his playing to be non-descript, except on Doom & Gloom, the rest was very busy and not very striking. The best/worst example of that is MR where he was just running up the scales while Keith was plucking subtly.

More rehearsing should help with that!

this is the way he played throughout the whole "A Bigger Bang" studio recordings and tour...it's obvious on the LP that he came in for a couple of days and just 'played something'...no heart to it whatsoever...i'm not going to get into Ronnie bashing on here as it's played out...but geez i've just never been impressed with him even in his heyday and now i just can't stand his playing...i've always felt that the main reason he's there is because he is a 'yes man' and a lapdog...

something wrong with being positive? and every family needs a cuddly pet. i just don't understand all the negativity around here.

Posted by: olivier33 ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:58

for JJF just hear again GYYO ! ... just missing Mick taylor

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:00

"for JJF just hear again GYYO ! ... just missing Mick taylor"

terribly boooring

Date: October 26, 2012 17:00

roby

MRambler

No guitars, really? What are you talking about?

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:01

StonesTod
cowboytoast
gotdablouse
Duane in Houston's post is indeed a bit harsh but he makes a point about Ronnie's playing that I made yesterday and that I haven't seen elsewhere really as most reviews say he "shone on guitar"...I don't know if it was the particularly loud sound we had right in the front but (the sound in the video sounds better oddly enough) but I also found most of his playing to be non-descript, except on Doom & Gloom, the rest was very busy and not very striking. The best/worst example of that is MR where he was just running up the scales while Keith was plucking subtly.

this is the way he played throughout the whole "A Bigger Bang" studio recordings and tour...it's obvious on the LP that he came in for a couple of days and just 'played something'...no heart to it whatsoever...i'm not going to get into Ronnie bashing on here as it's played out...but geez i've just never been impressed with him even in his heyday and now i just can't stand his playing...i've always felt that the main reason he's there is because he is a 'yes man' and a lapdog...

something wrong with being positive? and every family needs a cuddly pet. i just don't understand all the negativity around here.

yeah...it's a damn rathole...

Posted by: olivier33 ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:02

to make it clearer :
They play JJF as they did in Madison square garden and 1969 tour (get yer yaya out), same sound and tempo,
but ron cant compete with mick taylor on 2nd guitar !

same problem on Midnigth rambler :
they strated with gound sound and feeling, but the break/ end of song was really not very good.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:05

cowboytoast
StonesTod
cowboytoast
gotdablouse

you show me a better band of 70-year-olds with two barely functioning guitarists. i dare you.

Date: October 26, 2012 17:05

olivier33
to make it clearer :
They play JJF as they did in Madison square garden and 1969 tour (get yer yaya out), same sound and tempo,
but ron cant compete with mick taylor on 2nd guitar !

same problem on Midnigth rambler :
they strated with gound sound and feeling, but the break/ end of song was really not very good.

Ronnie is not cometing with Taylor, this version is based on the original studio version. The only thing he may try to compete with is the organ on that version winking smiley

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:07

cowboytoast
StonesTod
cowboytoast
gotdablouse

It's a rat trap Judy.

Anyway... good luck to them.

Keith is much better than I thought he would be.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:07

Just a boring version. No power. Unplugged ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

DandelionPowderman
roby

MRambler

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:09

well all you who saw them in this club, and are saying 'oh they need more rehearsal' or whatever the complaint
remember you saw the rolling stones for almost free..

in a parisian juke joint

that sounds like ideal conditions for blissfulness, to me

cool smiley

Date: October 26, 2012 17:09

StonesTod
cowboytoast
StonesTod
cowboytoast
gotdablouse

you show me a better band of 70-year-olds with two barely functioning guitarists. i dare you.

hahahahah...i can't think of one...you got me there...

Date: October 26, 2012 17:10

GravityBoy
cowboytoast
StonesTod
cowboytoast
gotdablouse

It's a rat trap Judy.

Anyway... good luck to them.

Keith is much better than I thought he would be.

damn now i have "Me & Howard Hughes" going through my head...there could be worse songs..."Let's Work" for instance...

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:15

MRambler

Nice to see Keef use Malcolm for JJF again!

Date: October 26, 2012 17:16

duke richardson
well all you who saw them in this club, and are saying 'oh they need more rehearsal' or whatever the complaint
remember you saw the rolling stones for almost free..

in a parisian juke joint

that sounds like ideal conditions for blissfulness, to me

cool smiley

I haven't seen anyone who was there say that?

Posted by: steini ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:20

I am gratful and happy being a Stones fan!

What else?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:32

About "Jumpin' Jack Flash" clip.

Yeah, they sound a bit tired, but after-all it is the last number, so that might be natural.

But there is another thing that comes to my mind. The stage and place is too small for this number - I think they have mastered this number as a grand-final or starter of their huge stages and shows, and they can't just 'keep it small', and end up sounding like the final gear is missing. The same problem can be heard in Toronto archive release. I guess that can also be true of all their 'war horses', but seemingly JJF suffers most. Those songs just don't fit to 'little circles' any longer. Jagger looks like not knowing what to do, trying to hold his horses instead of running all over the place.

So this version here, if any, really sounds like a warming up the engine, and testing it. The smoking version where all the cylinders are on, demands a 'real' or 'serious' show to happen.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-26 17:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:33

I think it's an awesome version. Closer to the original studio version that the previous live ones, but very cool nonetheless.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:38

How was the show? Hello??? All this bitching and not a single coherent review of the show? C'mon someone, tell us like it was please. peace

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:39

Naturalust
How was the show? Hello??? All this bitching and not a single coherent review of the show? C'mon someone, tell us like it was please. peace

We have a review section here...

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:39

roby
Just a boring version. No power. Unplugged ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

DandelionPowderman
roby

MRambler

I'm sure it was amazing to be there. But, I agree with the 'boring' comment. Just sounds empty. It's a bit of Keith track and Keith's either not in to it or not bothered. Probably thinks 15euros doesn't sound right...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:42

"for JJF just hear again GYYO ! ... just missing Mick taylor"

terribly boooring

People confuse elegance and sublety with boring...How sad.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:47

Thanks everyone for the reviews and picturesthumbs up

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:48

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I rather like the version of JJF played at this show. It's a slower tempo, yes, like the original record, and Ronnie is playing the organ or mellotron parts from the studio version. I think it's rather cool.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:50

From a nostalgic point of view and considering their age / capacities I would say ok.

If they were an unknown band, I wouldn't give a penny for the guitar section.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:51

71Tele
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I rather like the version of JJF played at this show. It's a slower tempo, yes, like the original record, and Ronnie is playing the organ or mellotron parts from the studio version. I think it's rather cool.

Totally agree. It doesn't have to have 15 people playing with the brass section at full blast. I like this quasi-bluesy version.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: October 26, 2012 17:54

Maybe best to compare this, and any other 2012 warm-ups, to the Toronto-Phoenix, Archive show.

I think Ronnie sounds great. I miss Mick Taylor about as much as I miss Brian Jones; which is to say, not at all.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 43

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home