Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 43
Re: Rolling stones secret gig In Paris
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 26, 2012 15:23

gotdablouse
Not that I noticed but clearly the action was with Mick and Ronnie's guitars for that song.

I'm not sure I agree with "Le Figaro", again Keith looked rather good to me, in spite of his somewhat glazed look, and there was A LOT of interaction between Mick and Keith, so their comment that Mick didn't make eye contact with Keith is complete BS, obviously an angle they're trying to play to spice up their paper.

Having said that it's clear that Keith is no longer the driving force of the band, how long that's been the case I'm not sure really, what made it a bit more obvious here probably is that he didn't get his vocal spotlight, so he looked a bit like one of the guitar players as opposed to the co-leader.

It's ridiculous that they missed the fact that Chuck is the goto guy on stage, Mick and Chuck are in charge, that's ok.

I wouldnt read too much into that, personally. Of all the warm up shows theyve done since 1989, Palais Royale and the Phoenix were the only two where he did a solo spot. The shows are just generally too short for Mick to need an intermission.

Thanks for the excellent and honest reviews.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 26, 2012 15:25

Dreamer
GravityBoy
Too much piano on Whip.

Yes! Irritated me right from the start!!

He's doing scale runs all over the top of it.

He's too big for his boots.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 26, 2012 15:28

Dreamer
GravityBoy
Too much piano on Whip.

Agreed. There was too much of it at the start.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 26, 2012 15:30

Slideshow of pics here:

[www.rollingstone.de]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 26, 2012 15:31

Beast
Dreamer
GravityBoy
Too much piano on Whip.

Agreed. There was too much of it at the start.

Luckily, he corrected it after a while thumbs up

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: October 26, 2012 15:35

Re the videos: They sound great. It's wonderful to see and hear them without BlondieBernardLisaBobbyHorns! If only they did the London and New York shows like this. Just 6 guys making a big noise. Great, just great!

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: October 26, 2012 15:47

Just listened to the two song clip and it seems they are the same as they were 5 or more years ago. They need a LOT more practice. They got through the songs all right but they are still a mere shadow of their power of 20 years ago. The tempos were slow (I can understand that) and Keith was just hanging on by the skin of his teeth and Ronnie continues to blurt out incomprehensible noise instead of anything fluid that comes close to the guitar part on the recorded version. Mick still does a workmanlike job and charlies drumming is so-so at best. If they don't bring in Taylor and Wyman soon these shows will be for Neophites only. So, for those reasons....I'm Out.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 26, 2012 15:49

Duane in Houston
Just listened to the two song clip and it seems they are the same as they were 5 or more years ago. They need a LOT more practice. They got through the songs all right but they are still a mere shadow of their power of 20 years ago. The tempos were slow (I can understand that) and Keith was just hanging on by the skin of his teeth and Ronnie continues to blurt out incomprehensible noise instead of anything fluid that comes close to the guitar part on the recorded version. Mick still does a workmanlike job and charlies drumming is so-so at best. If they don't bring in Taylor and Wyman soon these shows will be for Neophites only. So, for those reasons....I'm Out.

a bit harsh..

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:00

beepee2
liddas

Best Whip since 81!

C

eye rolling smiley

Here we go, best JJF since 72 and best Brown Sugar ever, I imagine...

They say that on every tour. than a year later they say it sucked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-26 16:00 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:07

Just to give a bit of context: i was rather pleased (and surprised) with the rehearsal recording of Doom and Gloom (even though i think the studio version is rubbish).

But Shattered and Whips come down shown above are not exceptionnal at all... Shattered needs some vitamins, and the Whips come down just lacks energy, they basically cant't get to the level of Some Girls. That's doesn't mean it's crap like some songs in 2007, but clearly saying it's the best you've heard for the past 30years is slighlty exagerated.

Date: October 26, 2012 16:09

beepee2
Just to give a bit of context: i was rather pleased (and surprised) with the rehearsal recording of Doom and Gloom (even though i think the studio version is rubbish).

But Shattered and Whips come down shown above are not exceptionnal at all... Shattered needs some vitamins, and the Whips come down just lacks energy, they basically cant't get to the level of Some Girls. That's doesn't mean it's crap like some songs in 2007, but clearly saying it's the best you've heard for the past 30years is slighlty exagerated.

No, it isn't, since the version of Whip from 2002/2003 was nowhere near this in quality, the guitars in particular.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:16

watch this at 34' and see the lucky fellows getting in without tix
[www.pluzz.fr]

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:21

Duane in Houston's post is indeed a bit harsh but he makes a point about Ronnie's playing that I made yesterday and that I haven't seen elsewhere really as most reviews say he "shone on guitar"...I don't know if it was the particularly loud sound we had right in the front but (the sound in the video sounds better oddly enough) but I also found most of his playing to be non-descript, except on Doom & Gloom, the rest was very busy and not very striking. The best/worst example of that is MR where he was just running up the scales while Keith was plucking subtly.

More rehearsing should help with that!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:26

I just came up with 2 extra tickets for Trabendo for last night if anybody wants to go.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:27

Munichhilton
I just came up with 2 extra tickets for Trabendo for last night if anybody wants to go.

I'll trade you one for a free go in my new time machine

Date: October 26, 2012 16:28

Love this picture.....

Date: October 26, 2012 16:28

His playing sounded good on Whip, but he was holding back a little on the Shattered-solo.

I assume you're talking about his guitar solos? His rhythm playing sounded excellent to me, same with Keith.

The country bends in Whip were right on, way better than I've heard him do for a long, long time.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:29

gotdablouse
Duane in Houston's post is indeed a bit harsh but he makes a point about Ronnie's playing that I made yesterday and that I haven't seen elsewhere really as most reviews say he "shone on guitar"...I don't know if it was the particularly loud sound we had right in the front but (the sound in the video sounds better oddly enough) but I also found most of his playing to be non-descript, except on Doom & Gloom, the rest was very busy and not very striking. The best/worst example of that is MR where he was just running up the scales while Keith was plucking subtly.

More rehearsing should help with that!

this is the way he played throughout the whole "A Bigger Bang" studio recordings and tour...it's obvious on the LP that he came in for a couple of days and just 'played something'...no heart to it whatsoever...i'm not going to get into Ronnie bashing on here as it's played out...but geez i've just never been impressed with him even in his heyday and now i just can't stand his playing...i've always felt that the main reason he's there is because he is a 'yes man' and a lapdog...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:29

vudicus
Munichhilton

I'll trade you one for a free go in my new time machine

You're buying the beer too....let's go

Date: October 26, 2012 16:31

I think Matt enjoyed the show!!

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:31

agree completely regarding how nice it is to hear all this without the backup singer nonsense and the overextended horn section!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:35

Very brief snippet of JJF here:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:42

Little bit longer version in hd quality in RS youtube channel

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:43

Thank you, Green Lady!

The more pix and clips I see, the more I cannot wait for 25 November to roll around.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:45

Jagger, amazing energy, what a total vibe it must have been in there.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:46

JJF much better...

Date: October 26, 2012 16:48

WoW! thumbs up

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:50

GravityBoy
Dreamer
GravityBoy
Too much piano on Whip.

He's doing scale runs all over the top of it.

He's too big for his boots.

bite your stones tongue; it's chuck's band and he rocks and rules.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:52

duke richardson
Duane in Houston

a bit harsh..

i thought mick's awkward elbows-up work was very rusty. bring those elbows up and hold them there, mickey! c'mon!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 26, 2012 16:52

Nice to see/hear Keith concentrating on playing the guitar more this time around.
None of the posing from 2007. Hope it stays that way!

The clips so far sound promising.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 43

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1275
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home