Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 43
Re: Rolling stones secret gig In Paris
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 27, 2012 05:19

@GADAWG - You are wrong. The talent can set the price at whatever they want. Jagger and his Rolling Stones Inc board of directors have signed off on everything. Nothing gets released without their approval.

Those of us who have been on this board for a while (I joined in 97 with a different user name) have to laugh at a good bit of this. New guy calling Bard a newb.. People making personal arguments out of opinions..

Call it what it is. They are charging insane amounts of money for a concert. This is not just wrong, it is stupid. $850 for normal seats? If it was their last shows, sure . But that is not the billing

They sound just fine. We would all like to go see them, just not at these prices.

The irony of Doom & Gloom... "bowing to the rich but your worried bout the poor, with your feet up on the couch and a lock on the door". And then they put on a concert series for the 1%ers while hanging with Clinton.

Party at my house for the PPV. I just hope they have Ronnie turned up in the mix. So tired of hearing him at half the volume of Keith. No wonder he is so underrated.. you can't hear all the beautiful flourishes he is playing.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: October 27, 2012 05:27

GADAWG
At the end of the day so what. I sincerely believe you guys would vote to slaughter your grandmother if she failed to make the Yorkshire pudding like she did for Boxing Day in 1967. I can hear rants of kill the bitch echoing from the dining room.

It has been a great run; I don't understand why everyone wouldn't appreciate the opportunity of seeing them one more time. We all know we are not going to see a young Keith Richards solo on SFTD like the one in the urban jungle video. But at least he is there.

I will agree the ticket prices’ have placed a bad glow over this entire show. I believe from the majority of the posts this type thing was to be expected. I really don't think the talent actually has a much control over that as some of you might believe.

One more observation of the Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor issue. I keep hearing the "Only if" crowed almost beg to see these two reunion. But what if they play badly. Miss a chord or note, maybe can't follow Chucks tempo count in. I can here you guys now. “Worst performance in the history of the world. The sound and playing not what it was when they were 26.”No shit folks.

I plane to be at the NJ Saturday show. If I have to lurk around the venue the night of the show, then so be it. Give them a break, unless you have already chopped up your Grandparents.

It is what it is and I say thank you for the opportunity.

Keith could let Ron play the lead on SFTD, and every song for that matter, they would sound a lot better. I love Keith but he should serve the music better by recognizing his severe limitations -- takes a man to admit it. So it is not a question of unrealistic expectations but rather one of The Stones being able to sound better but failing to to do so.

Mick T and Bill are ofcourse older and but would still sound good.

You do have a point about capital punishment being perhaps applicable to granny for substandard Yorkshire Pudding though, or at least interment without trial in Gauantonomo Bay, or an H-block, give her some time to think things over and not let it happen again.

"How dare you serve this crap Grand Ma!"

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 27, 2012 05:49

GADAWG
At the end of the day so what. I sincerely believe you guys would vote to slaughter your grandmother if she failed to make the Yorkshire pudding like she did for Boxing Day in 1967. I can hear rants of kill the bitch echoing from the dining room.

It has been a great run; I don't understand why everyone wouldn't appreciate the opportunity of seeing them one more time. We all know we are not going to see a young Keith Richards solo on SFTD like the one in the urban jungle video. But at least he is there.

I will agree the ticket prices’ have placed a bad glow over this entire show. I believe from the majority of the posts this type thing was to be expected. I really don't think the talent actually has a much control over that as some of you might believe.

One more observation of the Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor issue. I keep hearing the "Only if" crowed almost beg to see these two reunion. But what if they play badly. Miss a chord or note, maybe can't follow Chucks tempo count in. I can here you guys now. “Worst performance in the history of the world. The sound and playing not what it was when they were 26.”No shit folks.

I plane to be at the NJ Saturday show. If I have to lurk around the venue the night of the show, then so be it. Give them a break, unless you have already chopped up your Grandparents.

It is what it is and I say thank you for the opportunity.

That monster-size type font speaks LOUDER than words, GADAWG-IT and DING-DANG-DOGGEDY-DOO. Where do you get a typeface that size? I'm jealous. I've got typeface envy....

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 27, 2012 06:01

I love the Rolling Stones. I'm rooting for them.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 27, 2012 06:08

TeddyB1018
I love the Rolling Stones. I'm rooting for them.

Me too! So,.... who are they opposing? Can't be The Beatles, because that rivalry ended in 1970. Well, whoever the other team is, I'm rooting for The Stones!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 27, 2012 06:14

The other team appears to include some of the posters here.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 27, 2012 06:34

Who are they opposing?

Unfortunately for them, they're opposing themselves at the top of their game in 1972, as seen and heard in 20-20 rose-tinted selective hindsight . Against that team there's no way any band could win.

By the way, look at the maths. There were maybe 200 fans at the Trabendo. Of those, how many were members of this board with sufficient command of English to write a detailed review? And of those, how many were standing there making dispassionate analytical notes about musical quality instead of enjoying the opportunity of a lifetime? Of course there are not going to be many reviews at all, and their chances of being "neutral" are vanishingly small.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 27, 2012 07:01

StonesTod
71Tele
24FPS
Please. Mick Taylor did his thing and lifted a certain era. Ron Wood had his day with the Stones and really shined through about 1980. Since then he's been really good on slide. Face it, there's not a musician in the Stones today who is knocking it out of the park creativity wise. They're sound like they're having enough on their hands with trying to get the warhorses up to Stones level. And if all we're going to get on this 50th Whatever Tour is 95% warhorses, I don't expect the excitement level to last among a lot of long time fans.

It's good to see them up there on stage, but this tour is for the bucks only, and memories of what was, not what is. Hell, they used to at least mixup the warhorses and the arrangments varied on different tours. That's over with. I'm happy for them and I could live with letting the poor guys retire and thank them for the incredible, unequaled ride. Thank you Brian, Bill, Mick Taylor, Mick Jagger, Keith Richard(s), Charlie Watts, Ron Wood, Ian Stewart, and the magnificient sidemen who used to enchance your sound many, many years ago.

A fair and reasonable post. thumbs up

that's bordering on saying we're now in the no spin zone...or something....

I didn't say "fair and balanced". I hate those Fox bastards.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 27, 2012 08:43

Love your post, GADAWG.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 27, 2012 10:06

I think they looked fantastic, especially Keith was looking surprisingly good. Concerning the music in the three short clips: what can you expect? That they suddenly sound way better than on the last couple of tours? And that they sound fantastic and confident on a first show in 5 years? Of course not. Just listen to the first shows of the '69 tour, of the '72 tour, and hear that even in their prime they needed a dozen shows to get it right.

Shattered sounds exactly like the way they play it since the VL tour: too slow, too clean, not funky enough. WTWCD sounds a bit better than on the last tours, Richards sounds a bit rougher which I like. JJF? Well, that sounds like a first run through, uncertain in places. I like Woods new parts, emulating Taylor's parts on Ya-Ya's.

If I was Mick a would book another ten of these shows to get the band hot and going before they do the 02.

Mathijs

Posted by: roby ()
Date: October 27, 2012 10:14

Stones are still a magic attraction. But no a magic live MUSIC attraction anymore. Wao I saw the RS in 2012 in Paris. They are still there ! !!!"OK.

Have you listen them play music ? And ? Sound fine ?

I SAW them you know...

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: October 27, 2012 10:30

TheBlockbuster

Mick's voice sounds great!smiling smiley

Date: October 27, 2012 10:44

phd
MRambler

Little bit longer version in hd quality in RS youtube channel

Thanks. Great Keith sound.Not the most rapid one but perfect and distinct riffs. Love that one.

wooo hooooooooooooo

Date: October 27, 2012 10:56

gotdablouse
I like that one ;-)

It was shot by the official photogapher if memory serves have they posted them on their FB account...guess I need to check...no can't see it, where did you find it?

The joy on their faces, the joy on Keith's face--says it all! What a great night for everybody!

Posted by: roby ()
Date: October 27, 2012 11:17

The Rolling Stones, Paris Trabendo, bien mais pas de quoi en faire un flan.
A écouter certains animateurs de radio de retour du concert, à en lire la presse le lendemain, tous sont unanimes sur la prestation des Rolling Stones au Trabendo : "C'est formidable, quel plaisir, ils ont à peine vieilli, ils sont toujours là !".
Au travers les témoignages de personnes présentes à ce concert, et quelques vidéos qui ont fait leur apparition sur Youtube on constate que tout n'était pas si parfait que ça, surtout la prestation de Keith Richards, blaffard, dos au public, bricolant le volume de ces amplis, et qui a mis plus de notes dehors que dedans. Sur ce coup là merci Ron Wood !

Le choix de deux concerts de temps en temps est la manière la plus raisonnable de gérer ce 50ième anniversaire des Rolling Stones car cela pourrait devenir pathétique.

Respect pour les Stones jusqu'en 1982, après c'est une histoire d'argent...

[www.byzegut.fr]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 27, 2012 11:37

And Zegut doesn't do it for the money and "fame" too? I'll be forever thankful to the guy for putting some real info on the rehearsals' location and the Trabendo confirmation, but that post of his makes no sense, why doesn't he tell us how HE liked it surely he could have gone if he wanted and how could he not want to?

@riverat - this pic is now my phone's lock/background screen, reminds me I was really there ;-)

happyparis
thanks winking smiley))

I'm not good at finding out who is what nickname on iorr lol! But what i know for sure is that if u were there! we know each others !! winking smiley)

I want more Stones !! Love them so much! And all of u are part of the show! I was so happy to make this thing with my close friends, some i had not seen for long and sharing this exciting moment, some i discovered along the journey! What a day my friend! what a day!!

Can't sleep winking smiley))

You mean there on Tuesday or Thursday ? Anyway yes got to talk to a lot of peole on Thursday too, someone should get the list from the Virgin and organize an after party ;-)

I see the "review" I posted from the tube an hour after the concert was finished has now been added by Bjornulf, it seems a bit short but certainly not rose tinted and I've filled in some gaps since here in posts buy I'm not sure those after "reviews" really want, it sounds that for some it's a confirmation of what they think.

Happyparis put it very well, at the end of the day it's about emotions and while I was blown away by Mick and the Foo's version of IORR from SNL both, by the actual performance and the fact that this is, maybe, the Stones from the 70s that I'll never get to see, but it was still an incredible high seeing Mick and the Boys hacking out IORR on Thursday the best way they can at this time. The guys were cooking that's for sure.

What more can you want? I know what I wouldn't want, it's feeling embarrassed by their performance (Keith, Ron and Dylan at Live Aid in '85 anyone !) and with Keith's Rooster/Costello/Summlin' vids from last year there was a real possibility of that but we knew Mick wouldn't let that happen, either it clicks or there's no show. Keith made sure we got the option that made the fans HAPPY...and yes they can only feel pumped by the feedback from the crowds (Keith was apparently all smiles on Friday) and they'll take the money...probably too much but hey what they've given us over the years is pretty priceless.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-27 12:37 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 27, 2012 11:39

Mathijs
I think they looked fantastic, especially Keith was looking surprisingly good. Concerning the music in the three short clips: what can you expect? That they suddenly sound way better than on the last couple of tours? And that they sound fantastic and confident on a first show in 5 years? Of course not. Just listen to the first shows of the '69 tour, of the '72 tour, and hear that even in their prime they needed a dozen shows to get it right.

Shattered sounds exactly like the way they play it since the VL tour: too slow, too clean, not funky enough. WTWCD sounds a bit better than on the last tours, Richards sounds a bit rougher which I like. JJF? Well, that sounds like a first run through, uncertain in places. I like Woods new parts, emulating Taylor's parts on Ya-Ya's.

If I was Mick a would book another ten of these shows to get the band hot and going before they do the 02.

Mathijs

I've always been intrigued by Mathijs comments on various Stones matters and performances over the years, especially in the 1990 - 2007 period. I recall in one of his threads of recent years him commenting that "the modern day Stones are not really my forte".

Hence, after hearing these little clips and absorbing a lot of other peoples' comments, I was very curious to hear his. I'm pretty much inclined to agree with them. I also really liked what they're doing with JJF. someone else commented that it sounded slow and kind of thin. Yes it does, as compared perhaps to what we became used to over the last few tours. I think they're kind of purifying it, cleaning it up, stripping it back to its bare bones glory. Still needs work, but I'm inclined to think that if they play it at the O2, it will sound glorious, reminiscent of that divine 69 Ya Yas version.

As for how Keith looked ? Better than I would have expected to be honest, and from the little clips - sounding better too.

All power to them, cannot wait to see them again.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-27 11:40 by paulywaul.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 27, 2012 11:51

DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
roby
What a disembodied version. No energy. No guitars.

MRambler

No guitars, really? What are you talking about?

Come on Dandy: this is poor quality! Don't be selective deaf.

I wonder why a newbee on this board calls me selctive deaf because I like something? Really?

Musically and historically I know more about the Stones than most people I know of, and I´ve proven that. I don´t need anybody to tell me what I think should be good or not when it comes to the Stones.

I´ve heard ridiculous trainwrecks of JJF from all eras; 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979(!), 1981, 1982, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2007 before this version - that we heard a one minute clip from at the end of the show.

If I like what I hear (and see), it is because I´m really impressed by the magic this bunch of 70 year olds still can create, although in smaller doses than before.

If you or other guys here only judge the Stones from how good the guitar solos are, I´m vowed by your short term memory. There is no guitar solo on the original JJF-version, and it stands as a rock among popular music recordings of all time. Think of that - just for a second.

A bunch of 70 year olds (that IS what they should be judged by anyway) playing our favourite music (that´s why we post here, right?), maybe with some former band members guesting later on - what more can we ask for?

I'd echo those sentiments exactly.
(..although I've only been witnessing JJF trainwrecks since 73...]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 27, 2012 12:25

stonesrule
Love your post, GADAWG.

thumbs up

I was never surprised to see so few reviews on here. They are more likely to be found on some equivalent site for Francophone Stones fans, so no mystery or conspiracy there. But I'm not sure what an "honest" review means - one that coincides with whatever impression someone gains from three minutes of phone clips from a show lasting over an hour or however long it was? And no review - good or bad - can ever truly capture the feeling and atmosphere of a live show.

As to who are their opponents, some of them are surely around here waiting to pronounce and cast a negative light on every note or move. Fair enough - anyone welcomes constructive criticism, but there are a predictable few who use any opportunity to get in a dig or three, regardless of the topic.

It's all very well telling Keith or any of them to recognize their inevitable limitations at this stage of the game, but who's to say they haven't. I'm sure none of them does anything they don't feel like doing, but whatever any of them decides to do is his business for anyone else to take or leave.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 27, 2012 12:27

i am not surprised that a few recorded seconds of some songs from the first gig in 5 years would have been analyzed and dissected here (i've been on iorr for a while ;-) )

my impression here is that jjf seconds do not sounds bad at all
though the audio is awful i do think that shattered is way too slow even compared to the shine a light version for instance

anyway, any opinion is good

a fact instead that I think here has been too quickly overlooked is that differently from warm up gig before the last tours here we have no side musicians

as if no one here has never put doubts merely on the capacity of the band to play without them, the members of the Vegas ensemble :-)

Not only Keith (and his shadow guitarist...) but also Mick and his capacity to sing without the support of Bernard and Lisa

When was the last time the band played live without them all and the horn section?

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: October 27, 2012 12:54

For people who asked where was Bobby Keys, have a look on the left of the picture, second row. smoking smiley

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 27, 2012 13:08

Its been a long time since I returned to this forum.

Sad to seem its still the same RW v MT rubbish

Griping about a short clip.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: October 27, 2012 13:42

Mathijs

Mathijs

If I was Mick a would book another ten of these shows
I like that one!
Yes like in those days they need some extra time to rehearse and warm up. I hope they will do that like this one without the big band.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 27, 2012 14:03

They played way above my expectations.

Keith especially.

I think they'll do alright in the big gigs.

Shame about the prices but that's capitalism.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 27, 2012 14:12

Spud
DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
roby

MRambler

I wonder why a newbee on this board calls me selctive deaf because I like something? Really?

Musically and historically I know more about the Stones than most people I know of, and I´ve proven that. I don´t need anybody to tell me what I think should be good or not when it comes to the Stones.

I´ve heard ridiculous trainwrecks of JJF from all eras; 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979(!), 1981, 1982, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2007 before this version - that we heard a one minute clip from at the end of the show.

If I like what I hear (and see), it is because I´m really impressed by the magic this bunch of 70 year olds still can create, although in smaller doses than before.

If you or other guys here only judge the Stones from how good the guitar solos are, I´m vowed by your short term memory. There is no guitar solo on the original JJF-version, and it stands as a rock among popular music recordings of all time. Think of that - just for a second.

A bunch of 70 year olds (that IS what they should be judged by anyway) playing our favourite music (that´s why we post here, right?), maybe with some former band members guesting later on - what more can we ask for?

I'd echo those sentiments exactly.
(..although I've only been witnessing JJF trainwrecks since 73...]

I loved it, was so cool to hear JJF without all of the back up signers for the first time in decades!

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: October 27, 2012 14:29

The playing on JJF is decent but the mix doesn't do the performance justice.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 27, 2012 14:33

First of all, i did not make it in time to go to the gig in paris. A shame.

but what i read, saw and heard from photos, reviews and video's it sounded like a great show.

Like someone else already stated, gawdog or someone, whgy is veryone complaining???
The stones , stripped down... Great!! They should do this more often i think.

Would be great if, indeed, they do it next year.

I hope the people who went to this small show really had a great time. You were lucky, and enjoy the memories!!

jeroen

Posted by: william060190 ()
Date: October 27, 2012 14:35

From left to right: Franck, Didier, Gwenael, Mick, Ron.
Merci d'être mes amis les gars,
Eric, the guy with the red ink marker grinning smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 27, 2012 15:03

GravityBoy
They played way above my expectations.

mine too....although, in fairness, i believe my expectations were way below yours.

Date: October 27, 2012 15:39

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
roby

MRambler

I wonder why a scandinavian on this board likes to call me a newbee all of a sudden? tongue sticking out smiley
At least you do your best to try to explain why you like it: I appreciate that.
As well as your knowledge of music.
Shaking the tree always gives result smoking smiley
But don't hide behind the 70 year old trees!
Oh and I wasn't talking about a solo on JJF! So spare me the lecture. It's the general impression it gives me. MJ is not singing very good here, do you think he is??
But maybe I should not ask such questions to 60 or 70 year old historians from scandinavia...?

tongue sticking out smiley

Seven weeks, ok, you´re in winking smiley

When the Stones improve (and they really did, compared to the ABB-tour on this clip), why complain so much after the first show. What do you expect from them?

What are you talking about - Mick´s singing? It´s been poor on JJF since Rock´n´Roll Circus, when he changed the general melody line and skipped the melody line in the chorus. Why complain now?

What´s wrong with Scandinavia? As you know, we´re on a scandinavian fan board - or more precisely norwegian grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 43

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home