Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 43
Re: Rolling stones secret gig In Paris
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 26, 2012 20:19

More Hot Rocks
latvianinexile
gotdablouse

There's the Latvija scarf again.

See the smiles on thier faces Mathijs? That's all that matters. I feel sorry for you? You're a very jealous man.

Huh? Is that addressed to me? As far as I remember I have not (yet) participated in this thread.

Mathijs

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: October 26, 2012 20:20

And what about Mick?
He plays guitar on Whip, D&G and MY, harp on Champagne, MY (for the end of the song) and MR obviously.
I saw Mick worrying sometimes on stage, yesterday he looks pretty confident and relax;
But on another hand, i think he is more the chef d'orchestre now. If Chuck does the counting in, Mick closes some songs with just a glance or finger (meaning one time) to Charlie and/or Keith.
This role was more Keith's work in the past (just a thought from yesterday).
During MR, i have a sensation of déjà vu : omg i saw this song for the first time in Brussels back in 73 and i'm sure Mick did the same routine and he's so slim that he could put the 72-73 suits today. Spacio-temporal journey if you can imaginesmiling smiley

To conclude, i'm afraid i will never be able to thank enough Bjornulf for his gift.
I have a debt but may be, who knows, StonesLand is so wide...

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: October 26, 2012 20:24

JumpinJeppeFlash
71Tele
JumpinJeppeFlash
StonedInTokyo
How wonderful to see The Rolling Stones performing live in Paris in 2012, but
if I read one more post that mentions Mick Taylor I'm throwing myself out the @#$%& window.

thumbs up

He is not a stone anymore, but most people from the older generation here live in the past.

No, most people have better taste than you.

Get over it, Ronnie Wood is a real stone and MT not.

Ron Wood isn't even a real guitar player...much less a Stone...he's Jeff Beck's old bass player...

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 26, 2012 20:26

cowboytoast
JumpinJeppeFlash
71Tele
JumpinJeppeFlash
StonedInTokyo
if I read one more post that mentions Mick Taylor I'm throwing myself out the @#$%& window.

thumbs up

He is not a stone anymore, but most people from the older generation here live in the past.

Ron Wood isn't even a real guitar player...much less a Stone...he's Jeff Beck's old bass player...

Then i suggest you listen to some other band since he is a member of the band this board is all about.

Date: October 26, 2012 20:28

JumpinJeppeFlash
cowboytoast
JumpinJeppeFlash
71Tele
JumpinJeppeFlash
StonedInTokyo

thumbs up

Then i suggest you listen to some other band since he is a member of the band this board is all about.

i do listen to them...i especially like the stuff from 1962 to 1974...

Posted by: phd ()
Date: October 26, 2012 20:35

MRambler

Little bit longer version in hd quality in RS youtube channel

Thanks. Great Keith sound.Not the most rapid one but perfect and distinct riffs. Love that one.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:02

What riff ??

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:06

Ronnie not a "real" guitar player? That's a troll comment if I EVER heard one!

You couldn't possibly believe that...have you even heard any Faces song..ever?! His solo works? He may not always have the chance to shine in the Stones but his talent as a guitarist cannot be questioned. His slide work? Fantastic.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:09

lettingitbleed

You couldn't possibly believe that...have you even heard any Faces song..ever?! His solo works? He may not always have the chance to shine in the Stones but his talent as a guitarist cannot be questioned. His slide work? Fantastic.
thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:12

lettingitbleed

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

It's impossible for all Taylor fools here to understand that.

Date: October 26, 2012 21:15

lettingitbleed

no no...i'm typing in between trying to look busy at work so that may have come out the wrong way...in the context of the Faces yeah he's ok...but IN MY OPINION...he's not the guitar player or slide player Mick Taylor is...and his playing has not gotten better over the years...he seems to be on autopilot and out of ideas...this is MY OPINION...i just don't think he's ever added much to the recipe...

Date: October 26, 2012 21:15

Ronnie so great playing Sway or Can't you hear me knocking... >grinning smiley<

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:20

Oh no, another Mick Taylor - Ron Wood fight. It had been like what, 5 minutes, since the last one...?

Date: October 26, 2012 21:21

No fight because nothing to compare...

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:25

This really is the absolute WORST "fan" site I have ever come across in my entire life. It's nothing but an 'I Hate The Rolling Stones' site--it has really gone WAY beyond the point of absurdity. It reads like a bunch of 6-year-olds having temper tantrums. BV needs to just shut it down.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:37

ZantiMisfit
This really is the absolute WORST "fan" site I have ever come across in my entire life. It's nothing but an 'I Hate The Rolling Stones' site--it has really gone WAY beyond the point of absurdity. It reads like a bunch of 6-year-olds having temper tantrums. BV needs to just shut it down.

And who are you?

Mathijs

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:44

ZantiMisfit

It's not all bad.

We have "What if..." threads that you won't find on other RS sites.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:46

lettingitbleed

I love his Faces work. But the Wood apologists can't stand mentions of Mick Taylor because the comparisons don't make their man look very good (as far as Rolling Stones material goes) so they get defensive whenever Taylor is mentioned. It is the perfect storm of insecurity combined with poor taste.

I would add that the fact that Taylor hasn't been in the band in years is irrelevant to the quality of his contributions to the Stones vs. Wood's.

Date: October 26, 2012 21:49

StonesTod
JumpinJeppeFlash
71Tele
JumpinJeppeFlash
StonedInTokyo

thumbs up

Great Taste! Live in the Past! Great Taste!...and so forth.....carry on...

Less filling?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-26 21:49 by 71Tele.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 26, 2012 22:05

Taylor had 5 great years with the Stones, on records and live on stage, and Ronnie had 5 great years with the Stones, live on stage and to a lesser degree on records. The difference is that in Ronnie's case, already after 1,5 albums (partly Black And Blue and Some Girls in particular) his contributions to the Stones soundscape became rapidly lesser and lesser. Tattoo You does not count, because that's basically a collection of re-worked outtakes, some even harking back to the Taylor days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-26 22:07 by alimente.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 26, 2012 22:11

Please. Mick Taylor did his thing and lifted a certain era. Ron Wood had his day with the Stones and really shined through about 1980. Since then he's been really good on slide. Face it, there's not a musician in the Stones today who is knocking it out of the park creativity wise. They're sound like they're having enough on their hands with trying to get the warhorses up to Stones level. And if all we're going to get on this 50th Whatever Tour is 95% warhorses, I don't expect the excitement level to last among a lot of long time fans.

It's good to see them up there on stage, but this tour is for the bucks only, and memories of what was, not what is. Hell, they used to at least mixup the warhorses and the arrangments varied on different tours. That's over with. I'm happy for them and I could live with letting the poor guys retire and thank them for the incredible, unequaled ride. Thank you Brian, Bill, Mick Taylor, Mick Jagger, Keith Richard(s), Charlie Watts, Ron Wood, Ian Stewart, and the magnificient sidemen who used to enchance your sound many, many years ago.

Date: October 26, 2012 22:14

24FPS
Please. Mick Taylor did his thing and lifted a certain era. Ron Wood had his day with the Stones and really shined through about 1980. Since then he's been really good on slide. Face it, there's not a musician in the Stones today who is knocking it out of the park creativity wise. They're sound like they're having enough on their hands with trying to get the warhorses up to Stones level. And if all we're going to get on this 50th Whatever Tour is 95% warhorses, I don't expect the excitement level to last among a lot of long time fans.

It's good to see them up there on stage, but this tour is for the bucks only, and memories of what was, not what is. Hell, they used to at least mixup the warhorses and the arrangments varied on different tours. That's over with. I'm happy for them and I could live with letting the poor guys retire and thank them for the incredible, unequaled ride. Thank you Brian, Bill, Mick Taylor, Mick Jagger, Keith Richard(s), Charlie Watts, Ron Wood, Ian Stewart, and the magnificient sidemen who used to enchance your sound many, many years ago.

A fair and reasonable post. thumbs up

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: October 26, 2012 22:27

MRambler

Just got home and see this; I suppose they wouldn't like us to see the worst part of the gig but...this is really shit; don't want to offend people but it's bad.
And who are doing the background vocals?? Ok, I'll read the rest now and hope to see other comments of people who don't just automatically think they are the best invention since sliced potatoes.

Date: October 26, 2012 22:30

DandelionPowderman
roby
What a disembodied version. No energy. No guitars.

MRambler

No guitars, really? What are you talking about?

Come on Dandy: this is poor quality! Don't be selective deaf.

Date: October 26, 2012 22:31

StonesTod
cowboytoast
StonesTod
cowboytoast
gotdablouse
Duane in Houston's post is indeed a bit harsh but he makes a point about Ronnie's playing that I made yesterday and that I haven't seen elsewhere really as most reviews say he "shone on guitar"...I don't know if it was the particularly loud sound we had right in the front but (the sound in the video sounds better oddly enough) but I also found most of his playing to be non-descript, except on Doom & Gloom, the rest was very busy and not very striking. The best/worst example of that is MR where he was just running up the scales while Keith was plucking subtly.

More rehearsing should help with that!

this is the way he played throughout the whole "A Bigger Bang" studio recordings and tour...it's obvious on the LP that he came in for a couple of days and just 'played something'...no heart to it whatsoever...i'm not going to get into Ronnie bashing on here as it's played out...but geez i've just never been impressed with him even in his heyday and now i just can't stand his playing...i've always felt that the main reason he's there is because he is a 'yes man' and a lapdog...

something wrong with being positive? and every family needs a cuddly pet. i just don't understand all the negativity around here.

yeah...it's a damn rathole...

you show me a better band of 70-year-olds with two barely functioning guitarists. i dare you.

Try John Fogerty.

Date: October 26, 2012 22:37

VT22
From a nostalgic point of view and considering their age / capacities I would say ok.

If they were an unknown band, I wouldn't give a penny for the guitar section.

Exactly. And considering that you are at this special gig; fantastic. But their level of play....sorry guys but if I compare this with recordings like paradiso this is not good enough for me to buy tickets.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 26, 2012 22:46

phd
MRambler

Thanks. Great Keith sound.Not the most rapid one but perfect and distinct riffs. Love that one.

wouah !! exceptional video

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 26, 2012 22:46

spunky
Shattered and When the whip comes down!

From 3:20 to 3:40 in this clip, when Mick is making his "standing up/sitting down" comments, you see a man in front of the audience filming the action onstage. Perhaps this was for private documentary purposes to be used at a later date.... or perhaps this will find its way to video/DVD release somehow, perhaps via bootleg....

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 26, 2012 22:49

marclaff now you have a unique thrilling memory for the rest of your life

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: October 26, 2012 22:51

Yes. Good music heu no... image quality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-26 23:04 by roby.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 43

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home