Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: DYLAN does it right, new 3 CD box restropective and 4 CD Live restropective
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 23, 2012 18:02

Dylan has nothing much to do with these releases.

By the way, isn't it about time a new Bootleg Series set came out ? Some of them intense gospel shows from 179-80 would be good, or pre-Slow Train, some of the 1978 Street Legal tour would also be enjoyable.

Re: OT: DYLAN does it right, new 3 CD box restropective and 4 CD Live restropective
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 23, 2012 18:53

treaclefingers
Braincapers
Erik_Snow
The Real Bob Dylan is a compilation, nice one, but not interesting...

Not interesting but great value, and full of great tracks.

...and I think that was my point with this. I have a slew of Dylan albums, and some greatest hits, mostly on Vinyl, some latter day stuff on CD. For me, being able to cobble these songs on 3 CDs for $6 is unbelievable value, and I just thought I'd share that.

The live CDs are a bit of a flyer, Bob's live stuff from 61-62, radio broadcasts etc, but for $9 for 4 cds, I can live with the gamble.

Oh yes I wasn't criticizing the compilation; I just meant that it's "not interesting" for us who has all his albums allready, because there's nothing new there. The compilation in itself is nice enough. First time I've seen "Pressing On" on a Dylan compilation, btw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-23 18:59 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 23, 2012 20:27

The "Live Collection" reminds of semi official Dylan live compilations released earlier this year and all available on Amazon :
"Live in Minneapolis (Bonnie Beecher's Apartement 22/12/1961)",
"Live in New York (Gaslight Café 06/09/1961)",
"The Minneapolis Party Tape" ,
"Carnegie Chapter Hall 1961".

Could it be the same Cd's packaged in one box set?

Date: September 23, 2012 20:39

kowalski
The "Live Collection" reminds of semi official Dylan live compilations released earlier this year and all available on Amazon :
"Live in Minneapolis (Bonnie Beecher's Apartement 22/12/1961)",
"Live in New York (Gaslight Café 06/09/1961)",
"The Minneapolis Party Tape" ,
"Carnegie Chapter Hall 1961".

Could it be the same Cd's packaged in one box set?

That's very likely. As mentioned, a couple of Dylan radio performances from 1961-1962 has been released on semi-official CDs lately, without Dylan or Columbia's permission. Haven't got this "Live Collection" box so can't say for 100% sure, but I think they'd make it more clear in the advertisement if the box featured something "not released before"

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: September 23, 2012 21:29

Blueranger
I respect Dylan for his will to create new music. That I don't think he has made outstanding music in a long time, is another matter.

(...)

I was wondering why Dylan can release 8-9 compilations in 10 years time and no one complains about it.

When the Stones release one, they are being critisied from the word go.

Something tells me Dylan is Holy and just can't do anything wrong. Strange.

Many (me included) consider Dylan's recent albums to be superior to his "classic" '60s work.

Dylan only released/authorized two compilations of previously available material over the last 10 years ("Best Of" in 2005 and "DYLAN" in 2007). All the other compilations are overseas releases that are not considered part of the official catalogue (check official website bobdylan.com). Dylan's contract with Columbia/Sony allows the overseas departments to release their own compilations as they see fit. They are not promoted by Dylan himself or his people and are not included in the official catalogue on Dylan's website.

I think both Dylan and the Rolling Stones constantly have their reputation pissed on by "critics" who simply cannot accept true greatness.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 23, 2012 21:29

"a couple of Dylan radio performances from 1961-1962 has been released on semi-official CDs lately, without Dylan or Columbia's permission"

This could be linked with the "50 years" European laws regarding copyright? After 50 years music becomes public domain.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 23, 2012 22:08

dcba
"a couple of Dylan radio performances from 1961-1962 has been released on semi-official CDs lately, without Dylan or Columbia's permission"

This could be linked with the "50 years" European laws regarding copyright? After 50 years music becomes public domain.

I'll let you know whether it was worth getting!

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: September 23, 2012 23:18

I've heard all of these and if you're a Dylan head like myself they're all worth getting. If you're not a really big fan they're not essential but still worth a listen.

Date: September 23, 2012 23:38

dcba

OK, did some checking elsewhere on the net. It's not as "semi official" as other live recordings being sold, like those ones from "leftfield media".
Thing is that aome US radio broadcasts that hasn't been broadcasted in UK are legal to release in UK, but not America.

Radio WFMT, which is owned by WTTWC, owns the copyrights to these radio broadcasts. But they don't "really" own it either, as they're not allowed to make money on it, but they can only stop others from making money on it.
It's actually the TAXPAYERS who "owns" what they broadcasted back then.

To put it short, despite WTTWC being a non-profit organisation, they can release these CDs in Europe, because they're allowed to do it under the parole that they "could improve their financial strength (and thus ability to serve their non-profit mission)" - and therefor have the law on their side.....complicated stuff

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-23 23:50 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 23, 2012 23:56

Erik_Snow
dcba

OK, did some checking elsewhere on the net. It's not as "semi official" as other live recordings being sold, like those ones from "leftfield media".
Thing is that aome US radio broadcasts that hasn't been broadcasted in UK are legal to release in UK, but not America.

Radio WFMT, which is owned by WTTWC, owns the copyrights to these radio broadcasts. But they don't "really" own it either, as they're not allowed to make money on it, but they can only stop others from making money on it.
It's actually the TAXPAYERS who "owns" what they broadcasted back then.

To put it short, despite WTTWC being a non-profit organisation, they can release these CDs in Europe, because they're allowed to do it under the parole that they "could improve their financial strength (and thus ability to serve their non-profit mission)" - and therefor have the law on their side.....complicated stuff

OK, now I'm buying it not only because it's cheep, but because I'm helping The WTTWC's financial strength.

I hope I get some sort of tax receipt!

Date: November 7, 2012 02:17

They arrived today. Gorgeous, 7 CDs in total for less than $20.

Can't listen too them right now, to riveted on election night tv!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-07 02:58 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 7, 2012 04:31

Ah, but how many hit singles has Dylan had including his own songs and Covers? Dylan has had numerous chart toppers over decades from a multitude of artists. As far as I know the Rolling Stones have had ONE cover success, with Marianne's version of Tears Go By, that wasn't much of a success at all in the U.S. And that's not including all the album cuts also written by Dylan that were successful, including Adele's recent 'Make You Feel My Love'.

Date: November 7, 2012 07:20

24FPS
Ah, but how many hit singles has Dylan had including his own songs and Covers? Dylan has had numerous chart toppers over decades from a multitude of artists. As far as I know the Rolling Stones have had ONE cover success, with Marianne's version of Tears Go By, that wasn't much of a success at all in the U.S. And that's not including all the album cuts also written by Dylan that were successful, including Adele's recent 'Make You Feel My Love'.

That ones beautiful BTW

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 8, 2012 18:59

tomcasagranda
Dylan has nothing much to do with these releases.

By the way, isn't it about time a new Bootleg Series set came out ? Some of them intense gospel shows from 179-80 would be good, or pre-Slow Train, some of the 1978 Street Legal tour would also be enjoyable.

no, it will come next year. this fall we have tempest. my choices would be a gospel show, a mid 80ies Tom Petty show, the supper club shows, don´t think we´ll get a net box, or outtakes from the mid 70ies to the mid 80ies.
i also think columbia is going to release the columbia album collection, with all of his lps, like the johnny cash box, or the miles davies box. there were also rumours about the complete bob sessions.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2006
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home