Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: DYLAN does it right, new 3 CD box restropective and 4 CD Live restropective
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2012 17:05

Available for pre-order on Amazon.

The Real Bob Dylan:
[www.amazon.co.uk]

The Live Collection:
[www.amazon.co.uk]

I bought both sets, the 44 song career spanning box and the 4 CD live set, for 9.99 GBP's, after the discounts.

Unbelievable...why can't we get Stones at these prices?

Re: OT: DYLAN does it right, new 3 CD box restropective and 4 CD Live restropective
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 22, 2012 17:09

"Label: Plastic Soho"

Is it legit...?

Re: OT: DYLAN does it right, new 3 CD box restropective and 4 CD Live restropective
Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: September 22, 2012 17:34

how is it career spanning when it stops 30 years ago?

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: September 22, 2012 17:36

And who needs things endlessly repackaged? Dont you own the Dylan catalogue? You should

Date: September 22, 2012 17:39

hmmm...didn't think I'd get the all the anger.

Carry on then!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 22, 2012 17:54

The Real Bob Dylan is a compilation, nice one, but not interesting
The Live Collection is a semi-official release. For some reason, a UK company has the rights to some radio shows of the early 60s. Dylan and Columbia can't stop them but they don't approve of these releases either.....all of that stuff has been available on bootleg for ages, btw

Date: September 22, 2012 17:56

Erik_Snow
The Real Bob Dylan is a compilation, nice one, but not interesting
The Live Collection is a semi-official release. For some reason, a UK company has the rights to some radio shows of the early 60s. Dylan and Columbia can't stop them but they don't approve of these releases either.....all of that stuff has been available on bootleg for ages, btw

Thanks for the clarification...for 10-15 bucks for both of them, I'm still in!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 22, 2012 20:16

Funny how Dylan can release a compilation almost every year without anyone being negative about it. The Stones only releases one every ten years and are accused by being called greedy for it from day one...

Date: September 22, 2012 20:21

Thx Erik! Garbage then...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 22, 2012 20:41

Blueranger
Funny how Dylan can release a compilation almost every year without anyone being negative about it. The Stones only releases one every ten years and are accused by being called greedy for it from day one...

Yep..and Dylan's input into his own greatest hits releases are pretty much non existent - and for his 'Bootleg Series' its probably not much more.

There was a comprehensive 3-CD box called 'Dylan' which came out amidst much fanfare 5 years ago.

Since, then there seem to be other compilations popping up all the time.

Date: September 22, 2012 20:44

I'm still waiting for a 10-cd live comp of the NET tour documenting the evolution of live warhorses from year to year.

At least we have the boots/live tapes to build a set like this.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 22, 2012 21:10

dcba
I'm still waiting for a 10-cd live comp of the NET tour documenting the evolution of live warhorses from year to year.

That 10CD set has allready been made....!
First compiled by some fans, then later copied by Scorpio and released as "the Genuine Net Covers"
Fantastic compilation. Never heard Dylan do stuff like Hey Joe, Hazy Shade of Winter, My Head's in Mississippi, Hallelujah or I can't be Satisfied before getting a copy of that 10CD box some years ago. Some of those covers would be better to never have heard though...

[www.bobsboots.com]

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 22, 2012 22:49

Blueranger

In the last 15 years Bob has recorded five new albums to the Stones 2. I don't think it's the fact the Stones are greedy that annoys people it's the fact that they don't or won't make new music.

Date: September 22, 2012 22:56

Erik_Snow
The Real Bob Dylan is a compilation, nice one, but not interesting...

Not interesting but great value, and full of great tracks.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 22, 2012 23:04

Braincapers
Blueranger

In the last 15 years Bob has recorded five new albums to the Stones 2. I don't think it's the fact the Stones are greedy that annoys people it's the fact that they don't or won't make new music.

I respect Dylan for his will to create new music. That I don't think he has made outstanding music in a long time, is another matter.

I miss The Stones creating new music, so you're right on that acount.

But I wasn't talking about new music.

I was wondering why Dylan can release 8-9 compilations in 10 years time and no one complains about it.

When the Stones release one, they are being critisied from the word go.

Something tells me Dylan is Holy and just can't do anything wrong. Strange.

Date: September 22, 2012 23:20

Erik_Snow
dcba

That 10CD set has allready been made....!
First compiled by some fans, then later copied by Scorpio and released as "the Genuine Net Covers"
Fantastic compilation. Never heard Dylan do stuff like Hey Joe, Hazy Shade of Winter, My Head's in Mississippi, Hallelujah or I can't be Satisfied before getting a copy of that 10CD box some years ago. Some of those covers would be better to never have heard though...

[www.bobsboots.com]

Yep I bought this one along with the "Live 66" set and the one that impressed me more was the "Covers" box...

Date: September 22, 2012 23:44

Blueranger
..But I wasn't talking about new music.

I was wondering why Dylan can release 8-9 compilations in 10 years time and no one complains about it.

When the Stones release one, they are being critisied from the word go.

Something tells me Dylan is Holy and just can't do anything wrong. Strange.

I'm quite happy to believe that Bob is just as mercenary as the Stones but my point that as long as he makes new music (and the bootleg series) nobody cares about or even notices the compilations. With the Stones in their 50th year all they can do is produce another compilation so we notice and comment adversely.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 23, 2012 06:43

The Cream of Dylan's crop is not as great as the Stones or some other legendary acts, but the depth and sheer amount of songs he has done that are more than worth listening too, is without peer. Quantity and quality make for many Dylan compilations.

Date: September 23, 2012 07:07

doubledoor
The Cream of Dylan's crop is not as great as the Stones or some other legendary acts, but the depth and sheer amount of songs he has done that are more than worth listening too, is without peer. Quantity and quality make for many Dylan compilations.

huh?
freewheelin bob dylan
highway 61 revisited
blonde on blonde
blood on the tracks
time out of mind
bringing it all back home
desire
nashville skyline
the basement tapes

thats pretty much equal to the stones cream of the crop right there

Date: September 23, 2012 07:54

The albums top to bottom yes, the singles no. Name a bunch of Dylan chart toppers?

Date: September 23, 2012 07:59

doubledoor
The albums top to bottom yes, the singles no. Name a bunch of Dylan chart toppers?

so because he is a brililant writer and wrote great albums top to bottom he sucks because he never had big singles? i guess van morrison sucks too?

Date: September 23, 2012 08:19

When did I ever say he sucked? I Love Dylan. He is a fricking genius who's lyrics are without peer. His range of music is also astounding. If I like anyone's music better than the Stones its Dylan, and he certainly has delivered more than them the last twenty years in albums. But when it it comes to the top of the line thrills, the Stones high energy sound, Live performances, fantastic drummer, and chart topping classics still keep them slightly ahead in my worthless opinion. The Stones 40 licks are better than Dylans 40 licks, but Dylan has 500 licks and no one else comes close. Thats my point.

Date: September 23, 2012 08:26

"The Stones? No one has ever done it better. Have they? But they need Bill back. They miss that swing." Bob Dylan

Date: September 23, 2012 08:34

doubledoor
When did I ever say he sucked? I Love Dylan. He is a fricking genius who's lyrics are without peer. His range of music is also astounding. If I like anyone's music better than the Stones its Dylan, and he certainly has delivered more than them the last twenty years in albums. But when it it comes to the top of the line thrills, the Stones high energy sound, Live performances, fantastic drummer, and chart topping classics still keep them slightly ahead in my worthless opinion. The Stones 40 licks are better than Dylans 40 licks, but Dylan has 500 licks and no one else comes close. Thats my point.

i'll give you some advice on hit singles. why does a song become a big hit? because it appeals to even the dumbest person in the world. of course dylan or van morrisons incredible lyric content is not going to appeal to the masses no matter what they wrote. look at both artists biggest hits, "domino" and "brown eyed girl" sound very little like anything else in van's career and "like a rolling stone" was a long song which was odd at the time for a single to be 6 minutes but still not really dylans style. other people covered dylan tunes and had huge hits with them but they were hits because other artists seemed to take the anger and venom out of the songs

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: September 23, 2012 08:56

van morrison does suck.

Date: September 23, 2012 08:57

backstreetboy1
van morrison does suck.

i have a feeling the forum is about to slam you pretty hard

Date: September 23, 2012 09:08

I agree hit singles is a shaky grounds to argue merit, especially worthless the last 30 years. But it mattered a bit in the 50's 60's and 70's. Elvis The Beatles, and Stones had many Chart toppers because the songs were so good they even excited the dumb people, as you say. More subtle and brilliant artists like Dylan are not properly represented by hits, but sales do matter. It means more people like something than another. No reason to be jealous or defensive. Some times you don't want brilliant or subtle, you just want to rock out and let it loose, the Stones and others are much better than Dylan at that. Dylan's voice turns a lot of people off. Their problem, not ours. I find his phrasing as brilliant as his lyrics, and his voice an instrument of its own to my ears.
Hendrix's Watchtower seemed to add anger and venom with his version, although I hear what your saying about other covers. I think it comes down to his voice again, and the fact that others polish the gems that Dylan drops out quickly from his fertile mind, the bootlegs are so great to my ears because instead of polishing songs, he keeps rearranging them. He is too creative to polish, he keeps creating. But that lack of polish costs him when comparing the cream of his crop. I also really Love Van Morrison of the 60's and 70's, and he has sucked for 30 years now. I'm way tired of buying his sorry albums and trying hard to like them lately.

Date: September 23, 2012 09:29

doubledoor
I agree hit singles is a shaky grounds to argue merit, especially worthless the last 30 years. But it mattered a bit in the 50's 60's and 70's. Elvis The Beatles, and Stones had many Chart toppers because the songs were so good they even excited the dumb people, as you say. More subtle and brilliant artists like Dylan are not properly represented by hits, but sales do matter. It means more people like something than another. No reason to be jealous or defensive. Some times you don't want brilliant or subtle, you just want to rock out and let it loose, the Stones and others are much better than Dylan at that. Dylan's voice turns a lot of people off. Their problem, not ours. I find his phrasing as brilliant as his lyrics, and his voice an instrument of its own to my ears.
Hendrix's Watchtower seemed to add anger and venom with his version, although I hear what your saying about other covers. I think it comes down to his voice again, and the fact that others polish the gems that Dylan drops out quickly from his fertile mind, the bootlegs are so great to my ears because instead of polishing songs, he keeps rearranging them. He is too creative to polish, he keeps creating. But that lack of polish costs him when comparing the cream of his crop. I also really Love Van Morrison of the 60's and 70's, and he has sucked for 30 years now. I'm way tired of buying his sorry albums and trying hard to like them lately.

the only songs by morrison from the last 30 years that i know are the ones on the 3 disc version of STILL ON TOP: THE BEST OF VAN MORRISON

Date: September 23, 2012 17:08

Braincapers
Erik_Snow
The Real Bob Dylan is a compilation, nice one, but not interesting...

Not interesting but great value, and full of great tracks.

...and I think that was my point with this. I have a slew of Dylan albums, and some greatest hits, mostly on Vinyl, some latter day stuff on CD. For me, being able to cobble these songs on 3 CDs for $6 is unbelievable value, and I just thought I'd share that.

The live CDs are a bit of a flyer, Bob's live stuff from 61-62, radio broadcasts etc, but for $9 for 4 cds, I can live with the gamble.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: September 23, 2012 17:39

I wonder how much Dylan has to do with these releases?

There is no mention of them on his official website. They look like bargain bin fodder you can find at Walmart.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2411
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home