Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Todays vinyls and the vinyl edition of 'live in texas'
Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 13, 2012 11:15

yesterday I listened to Some Girls LP and the latest reissue of YaYa's and Exile.

in my humble opinion, Some Girls is closer to Exile than YaYa's soundwise.

the mix is very good and clear specially for guitars, but the overall sound is thin and has a lack of dynamics.

does anyone tried to figure it out ?

Posted by: rockenrohl ()
Date: September 13, 2012 11:36

I can't wait for my record to arrive, only seen it on Amazon. I also ordered the checkerboard lounge vinyl record. Strange that (to my knowledge) they haven't announced these releases on their own page (maybe I missed that news, though).

Maybe it's just me, but I have to have these releases on vinyl (if only because I have all their other standard releases already). What really bugs me is that their 1973 concert costs $750+. No chance I'm going to spend that much money on an LP.

Turning round, turning round
I should have known it was a one horse town

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: September 13, 2012 12:51

Just received the checkerboard lounge vinyl/cd/dvd. If all should be like that one at the same price...

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: September 14, 2012 17:42

djgab
yesterday I listened to Some Girls LP and the latest reissue of YaYa's and Exile.

in my humble opinion, Some Girls is closer to Exile than YaYa's soundwise.

the mix is very good and clear specially for guitars, but the overall sound is thin and has a lack of dynamics.

does anyone tried to figure it out ?

Both the latest reissues of Some Girls and Exile use the Univeral remastering from the 2009 CDs, which was brickwalled with little dynamic range. Ya-Ya's is mastered by Bob Ludwig for ABKCO. Not sure if it is a new DSD mastering or if it uses the 2002 ABKCO DSD mastering that was used on the hybrid SACDs. At any rate, Ya Ya's was mastered with high rez in mind, and that is why it sounds better.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: September 15, 2012 00:06

Pictures of the whole thing.
[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: September 16, 2012 03:21

Listening to the "Live in Texas '78" Lp. Sounds much better than the CD. Very nice pressing - first LP red vinyl, second yellow.

Has an incomplete tour schedule listing only twelve shows.

Has a picture of a ticket stub with no price. I guess they they don't want to promote that the tickets were only $10 (at least they were in Memphis).

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: September 16, 2012 12:14

Rialb
Listening to the "Live in Texas '78" Lp. Sounds much better than the CD. Very nice pressing - first LP red vinyl, second yellow.

Has a picture of a ticket stub with no price. I guess they they don't want to promote that the tickets were only $10 (at least they were in Memphis).

colored vinyl? my copy from amazon.de and the pics on the net are all black. is yours from amazon.com?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 16, 2012 13:23

silkcut1978_
Rialb

colored vinyl? my copy from amazon.de and the pics on the net are all black. is yours from amazon.com?

Maybe Rialb is speaking about the Live In Fort Worth LP which was released about 3 years ago ? It's taken directly from Handsome Girls and therefor sounds better than the official product. Features a drawing of a girl on the front.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: September 16, 2012 21:56

This is the new Some Girls "Live in Texas '78". I received it 9/12/12 from Soundstagedirect.com. It does include the DVD. I thought it was interesting that the vinyl was colored because the other pictures I have seen are black vinyl.

Date: September 17, 2012 22:02

Thanks for the info Rialb !

Just noticed that the Checkerboard Lounge there is colored (black and white) as well. OMG

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 17, 2012 22:07

So did anybody get those nice waveforms off the album? Or does anybody know whether these were mastered for vinyl?

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 17, 2012 22:15

Whale
So did anybody get those nice waveforms off the album? Or does anybody know whether these were mastered for vinyl?
Maybe it is written on the vinyl that is was mastered for this purpose?
I just want to avoid the deception of listening to Tempest, which sounds quite bad on vinyl

Date: September 17, 2012 23:57

Whale, been listening to side 1 of Live In Texas while working on my PC. All I can say is that the sound didn't amaze me. It's a good listen but without a direct comparsion I can't tell no difference between the LP and the CD. I really have my doubts that it was mastered for the LPs from the analog source.

So I take it for what it's worth - a beautiful piece in my collection but soundwise I prefer A Summer Romance with the RS on vinyl.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 14, 2012 20:56

Nice review of Checkerboard Lounge vinyl here : [www.analogplanet.com]

Date: July 15, 2014 02:00

Side B must be one the best collection of tracks they ever put on vinyl...

Beast of Burden/Miss You/Just My Imagination/Shattered

It flows so well it sounds like a unique song that never stops.

By the way the yellow & red vinyls edition with DVD is currently selling for cheap in Fnac stores in France for less than 20€.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-15 02:04 by kowalski.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 15, 2014 02:34

kowalski
Side B must be one the best collection of tracks they ever put on vinyl...

Beast of Burden/Miss You/Just My Imagination/Shattered

It flows so well it sounds like a unique song that never stops.

By the way the yellow & red vinyls edition with DVD is currently selling for cheap in Fnac stores in France for less than 20€.

This is VERY cool and cheap for Bob Marley fans too:

[www.amazon.ca]

The new tri-colour double vinyl album Legend 30th Anniversary

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 15, 2014 03:35

Live 78 on vinyl is very good

Date: July 15, 2014 13:38

It is a great-sounding vinyl indeed!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: July 15, 2014 18:53

The plural of vinyl IS vinyl.

Date: July 15, 2014 21:08

rbk

Sorry about that. In French we add the S when there is more than one vinyl...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 16, 2014 01:37

rbk

how in the hell do you know whether it's a double disc or single?!

Date: July 16, 2014 10:28

Any vinyl pressed today is *not* the same digital files and same digital masters used for the cd editions of the same recordings. Music has to be mastered separately for vinyl so that the highs/lows don't make the needle jump. The Some Girls Live In Texas '78 vinyl edition sounds AMAZING! I have it and love it. Vinyl editions of albums by bands like Animal Collective that have their fans complaining about the over-compressed cd editions get rave reviews by said fans for not suffering the same fate.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 16, 2014 13:17

I feel quite encouraged by the recently rediscoverd appreciation of vinyl.

It's never going to regain it's position as a mass market music medium...but it might help a few digitally jaded ears within the industry to remember what recorded music should sound and feel like.

Analogue's main limiations are at the frequency extremes. Most music however doesn't happen at these extremes. It occupies the all important mid range frenquecies, where analogue recording/playback [vinyl included] always enjoyed better resolution than CD and/or subsequent commercial Digitalformats.

Playing a record is a mechanical engineering problem. Vinyl record grooves have always held far more musical information than the typical plastic turntable was able to extract. That's one of the reasons for the industry being so easily able foist the woefully inadequate CD format on us back in the 80s.

All but the poorest CD players are able to retrieve most of the information encoded on a CD.
The problem with CD was that the information wasn't on the disc in the first place... !

The hurried launch and adoption of CD [based on Digital technology that was at the time far from good enough] was a huge step backwards in the quality of recorded music and, over time ,caused a lowering of listener expections.
Folks forgot how recorded music could communicate and the feeling it can evoke.
(If music had always sounded like CDs...man would never have invented It !)

Today's digital technology is potentially much better and, maybe, now good enough.
It's the lack of a high resolution mass market medium and the choices made in production/mastering which are today the main problems.

End of rant winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-16 13:21 by Spud.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 16, 2014 14:29

Good rant

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 16, 2014 16:44

Didn't know this was released in Red and Yellow Vinyl. Mine is Black and everything I've seen on the net is also Black. Is this a new or special edition?

Date: July 16, 2014 17:41

frankotero
Didn't know this was released in Red and Yellow Vinyl. Mine is Black and everything I've seen on the net is also Black. Is this a new or special edition?

This is the yellow & red edition : [www.discogs.com]

Here you can see pictures of both editions : [atsuy.web.fc2.com]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 16, 2014 18:37

Guess my last question is there a sticker or something saying it's colored vinyl? Don't know if I want to risk buying it a second time. Thanks for the info Kowalski.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: July 16, 2014 19:35

treaclefingers
rbk

how in the hell do you know whether it's a double disc or single?!

It matters not. It can be two (or more) vinyl LPs or long players. Or, it can be two or more 12" vinyl records but the plural of vinyl IS vinyl.

Date: July 16, 2014 21:16

The imperfect sound you get from vinyl is mixed with "air". The analogue output hence gets a certain warmness.

CDs, although compressed, and downloads are direct mathematical, digital signals of sound.

It's not just the midrange, the compression or the loudness that make the digital formats inferiour.

Date: July 16, 2014 23:34

frankotero
Guess my last question is there a sticker or something saying it's colored vinyl? Don't know if I want to risk buying it a second time. Thanks for the info Kowalski.

On the one I bought there was no sticker and it was a surprise to find out the yellow and red vinyl(s).

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home