Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Todays vinyls and the vinyl edition of 'live in texas'
Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 7, 2012 22:26

So today in the record store I saw a vinyl print of 'Some girls live in texas'.
Hmmm. I almost bought it but I already have the dvd the cd and the bluray... sad smiley
Had I only been able to buy this stuff the first day it came out. But back then, there was only the dvd. The bluray would come one week later. So I bought the dvd cause I couldn't wait, and the week later I got the bluray. Now I spotted the vinyl ...
But what has occurred to me lately is that the vinyls today don't sound as good as the old ones. I was listening to "so many roads" with Mayall / Green on an old vinyl and it sounded great. In comparison for instance Jack WHite's blunderbuss doesn't sound as great on vinyl. Same for today's Tempest.
So am I right in assuming that the compressed limited frequency CD sound with the high recording volume ( the loudness people here speak about ) is transferred onto vinyl, and makes the vinyl for modern recordings sound just as bad as the CDs? Or am I imagining things?
And does anybody know whether there is an added value to the vinyl 'some girls live in texas' compared to the CD edition? I still feel that my CD I ripped from the DVD sound sounds better than the CD edition.

Re: Todays vinyls and the vinyl edition of 'live in texas'
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 7, 2012 22:38

I feel the same as you. I would like to have this on vinyl but surely it's the same digital files used to make the DVD and CD. Basically it's only a beautiful object in my opinion.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 7, 2012 23:10

@Whale - You are on the cusp of a massive argument/war that is ongoing among engineers. The short answer is that CD's can be insanely loud, brittle, whatever. There are really NO limitations on how a digital audio recording can be mastered for CD (aside from common sense and personal taste). However... vinyl has to be mastered in a different way and was a major problem in the early days. You can't have insane amounts of low end or you run the risk of the needle physically jumping out of the groove. There are specific EQs that are used on analog vinyl recordings/mastering and playback...

link - RIAA equalization curve

The other think you will notice is the digital vs analog issue along with the modern loudness war!

You mentioned Blunderbuss which I was optimistic about, but underwhelmed upon first listen. Maybe I need to revisit that. HOWEVER... When Icky Thump was first released on CD the tracks were mastered so badly that they had digital clipping distortion on CD. Steve Hoffman mastered the vinyl, and it sounded GORGEOUS! Many White Stripes fans bought the digital download, but then ended up getting on torrent sites to download mp3s/wavs sourced from the vinyl.

One other details, and then I'll end my rant, is how it was recorded... Sticky Fingers is all analog. Everything about it is raw analog, and it is absolutely awesome. A Bigger Bang is all digital...

So... If ABB was recorded at 24bit 48kHz (example, probably not reality) and then mastered at 24bit 48kHz, then dumped on CD/vinyl... there is no longer any benefit to getting the vinyl, atleast not from a sonic perspective.

This is very common these days. Record digitally, master it one time, then press it on CD and vinyl. It DEFINITELY was done that way for A Bigger Bang. There is no resolution change on the vinyl, no added benefit of any kind, no dynamic range change and it is still distorted and over-compressed.

So in summary, they don't mix and master like they used to..

Date: September 7, 2012 23:31

@flacnvinyl
Interesting stuff. I love to read it, but I'm not sure I understand it all completely. What is 'brittle'?
But basically you are saying I should pick up a vinyl of Icky thump as an example of a great sound modern day vinyl. I will do this.

Regarding ABB. I doubt that it was recorded like that. Professional tapes have much bigger frequency range, and the thing you're referring to is DVD isn't it? I mean DVD is 48kHz audio? Don't know if it's 24 bit. Should revisit the good old linux 'sox' documentation. But anyway, it doens't matter, cause all we know is what ends up on CD or DVD.

Any other tips on what records were mastered differently for vinyl?
Did anybody buy that live in texas vinyl. I'm thinking eagle is reputable company and maybe they did it right in which case I'm willing to pay for it.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 7, 2012 23:34

Whale
I still feel that my CD I ripped from the DVD sound sounds better than the CD edition.

I did the same and the sound from DVD is much better. Simple reason is because it's less compressed than on the retail CD.

edit:
On vinyl vs CD matter, some vinyls are cut from a master expressly made for vinyl.
Flacandvinyl mentioned Icky Thump which sounds incredibly good comapred to CD.
Red Hot Chili Peppers' Stadium Arcadium vinyl uses also a different master.
But generally speaking if you care about sound, vinyls are most of the time worth buying because they are a bit less compressed than CD's.

One excellent sounding vinyl I bought recently is Bowie's Ziggy Stardust 40th anniversary edition. Vinyl sounds even better than the DVD audio which was included in the vinyl gatefold...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-07 23:43 by kowalski.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 8, 2012 00:00

If you own Icky Thump on CD/mp3, then yes, definitely compare it to the vinyl. No digital distortion. Brittle means that all the clarity cuts too harshly.

And yes, kowalski is spot on regarding the compression. Clearmountain did a great mix, and the audio disc is just mastered too hot, which is a shame. And Stadium Arcadium is insane. I remember hearing it and thinking 'this has to be the loudest cd of all time'. Kids these days don't understand the volume knob. The worst part is the constant jumping up and down on the volume knob that I have to do!!

Old Exile release, normal volume. New Exile release, super loud.

CD = 44.1kHz 16bit
DVD = 48kHz 16bit (but that can also vary depending on AC3/DTS, so forth)
Studio Recording = can be 44.1, 48, 88, 96, so forth...

There are some crazy high end recording studios out there, but ultimately we can't actually enjoy the recorded benefits of anything higher than 96kHz on our contemporary equipment. I have excellent studio monitors which enable me to tell the difference between 44.1 and 48 on my own mixdowns, but ultimately most people will just hear an mp3. Ha!

A Bigger Bang was just done as a home studio recording that eventually got 'produced'. I wouldn't be surprised if the project settings were 48kHz 24bit, but even if they were higher, we the people never heard ANY of the 'high end' benefits. The mastering completely ruined the mix.

One note... the higher you go on the kHz, the more 'detail' you get, if you will. Its refreshes per second. Bit rate is essentially the noise floor, amount of space between soft and loud sounds. So you can record at high resolutions, BUT (and this is CRUCIAL) if someone masters the recording poorly, and at 44.1kHz 16bit, you loose all the benefit of that high end recording.

On A Bigger Bang, I could write a thesis paper proving that the mastering was not only done poorly (all tracks too loud, compressed and distorted) but that they simply took the CD master and dumped it on vinyl.

One last thing... I like Eagle Rock so far, but I don't think they really know what they are doing. Live In Texas was POORLY color graded. Things were blown out, blacks are purple, peoples faces are weird colors... Some of that has to do with the lighting and film stock, but I can forgive that... What I can't forgive is the FRAME RATE!!!

Live In Texas was shot on film at 24 frames per second. Eagle rock put it on DVD at 30 frames per second. They screwed it up.

It would look substantially better without frame blending and dithering.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 8, 2012 02:03

My question on the Live in Texas vinyl, is, 'is it a bootleg'?

I don't recall it getting an official vinyl release.

Date: September 8, 2012 03:08

treaclefingers

Official release - available on September 10.

[www.eagle-rock.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-08 03:09 by kowalski.

Date: September 8, 2012 03:15

Not sure how this equates but to me a digitally recorded album on vinyl is a rip off. The Some Girls Live In Texas was recorded on tape but transfered to digital. What they did to it afterwords... there's the problem. If they're using the same mastering technique for vinyl that they do for digital, what's the point other than to present to you the option to buy vinyl for the sake of it?

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 03:29

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Not sure how this equates but to me a digitally recorded album on vinyl is a rip off. The Some Girls Live In Texas was recorded on tape but transfered to digital. What they did to it afterwords... there's the problem. If they're using the same mastering technique for vinyl that they do for digital, what's the point other than to present to you the option to buy vinyl for the sake of it?

It was recorded Analogue. There is a chance it could be mastered for the vinyl from the analogue master, (Doubt it though)

Date: September 8, 2012 03:33

tkl7
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

It was recorded Analogue. There is a chance it could be mastered for the vinyl from the analogue master, (Doubt it though)

I know it was recorded analogue, which is what I said. It's the mastering that bunks everything up these days. And that is the issue.

Date: September 8, 2012 04:06

Right, but they will probably use the mastering that was already put out on the CD. Do you think it sounds ok? Do you prefer the vinyl medium over the CD?

Date: September 8, 2012 04:24

tkl7
Right, but they will probably use the mastering that was already put out on the CD. Do you think it sounds ok? Do you prefer the vinyl medium over the CD?

If they use the same mastering, the vinyl will be necessarily less compressed for the reason flacnvinyl explained above.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 8, 2012 14:11

the Checkerboard Lounge is also planned to be realsed in vynil
any hope of sound improvment ?

Date: September 8, 2012 17:43

djgab
the Checkerboard Lounge is also planned to be realsed in vynil
any hope of sound improvment ?
It is already out. After the input of flacnvinyl it's clear that we need to know whether these were separately mastered for vinyl. If they are, then buy.
How can we find out?

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: September 8, 2012 20:42

I was a little bit late for buying the Checkerboard Lounge dvd and cd set. Lucky man I am, now there is the same set with the lps. Only one purchase then. Their strategy is cd, dvd or cd/dvd first and some weeks later they release the package with vinyl. I can wait now for the vinyl set. But perhaps it shouldn't the case each time.

Date: September 8, 2012 20:57

its all changed so much. back then in the 70s you went to a record store and bought a record. period. buying vinyl online is iffy at best. quality is affected by the source recording, the quality of the vinyl compound used and how well it is pressed, among a slew of other factors

if someone does a good job mastering a record and puts it on 120 gram, it’s going to be better than a bad master on 200 gram; you can’t just go for the label that says ‘virgin vinyl'

Date: September 9, 2012 00:29

[www.artistshousemusic.org]

Greg Calbi, one of music's main mastering guys speaks on this topic. Love what he says about that it has gone from "get it as loud as possible with it still being good, musical and dynamic - to get it LOUD, and then hope for some quality".
What he says about the IPOD Shuffle syndrome;
what he says about fatigueing.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: September 9, 2012 01:08

Fantastic that the Some Girls Live set will be available on vinyl. When it comes to the sound... well, I have a Project turn table but my loudspeakers sucks.. so I cannot hear any difference from a vinyl, is it an ana or digi pressing. Don't care as well as long as I can keep a vinyl in my hands. That's the format for your eyes. Being 50 years old it is easier to see the text on a vinyl cover compared to a Cd cover, no even mentioning the DL cover.... can't hold that one in my hands.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: September 9, 2012 17:25

Jan Richards
Fantastic that the Some Girls Live set will be available on vinyl. When it comes to the sound... well, I have a Project turn table but my loudspeakers sucks.. so I cannot hear any difference from a vinyl, is it an ana or digi pressing. Don't care as well as long as I can keep a vinyl in my hands. That's the format for your eyes. Being 50 years old it is easier to see the text on a vinyl cover compared to a Cd cover, no even mentioning the DL cover.... can't hold that one in my hands.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: September 10, 2012 05:32

kowalski
Whale
I still feel that my CD I ripped from the DVD sound sounds better than the CD edition.

I did the same and the sound from DVD is much better. Simple reason is because it's less compressed than on the retail CD.

Can someone direct me to instructions on how to rip this? (I'm extremely computer illiterate.) Thx.

Date: September 10, 2012 07:59

Roscoe
kowalski
Whale

Can someone direct me to instructions on how to rip this? (I'm extremely computer illiterate.) Thx.

DVD Audio Extractor is the easiest tool I found.
Once installed on your computer, DVD AE automatically finds the audio tracks on your DVD. All you have to do is to select the tracks you want to copy, the output format and location...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 10, 2012 15:33

flacnvinyl
@Whale - You are on the cusp of a massive argument/war that is ongoing among engineers. The short answer is that CD's can be insanely loud, brittle, whatever. There are really NO limitations on how a digital audio recording can be mastered for CD (aside from common sense and personal taste). However... vinyl has to be mastered in a different way and was a major problem in the early days. You can't have insane amounts of low end or you run the risk of the needle physically jumping out of the groove. There are specific EQs that are used on analog vinyl recordings/mastering and playback...

link - RIAA equalization curve

The other think you will notice is the digital vs analog issue along with the modern loudness war!

You mentioned Blunderbuss which I was optimistic about, but underwhelmed upon first listen. Maybe I need to revisit that. HOWEVER... When Icky Thump was first released on CD the tracks were mastered so badly that they had digital clipping distortion on CD. Steve Hoffman mastered the vinyl, and it sounded GORGEOUS! Many White Stripes fans bought the digital download, but then ended up getting on torrent sites to download mp3s/wavs sourced from the vinyl.

One other details, and then I'll end my rant, is how it was recorded... Sticky Fingers is all analog. Everything about it is raw analog, and it is absolutely awesome. A Bigger Bang is all digital...

So... If ABB was recorded at 24bit 48kHz (example, probably not reality) and then mastered at 24bit 48kHz, then dumped on CD/vinyl... there is no longer any benefit to getting the vinyl, atleast not from a sonic perspective.

This is very common these days. Record digitally, master it one time, then press it on CD and vinyl. It DEFINITELY was done that way for A Bigger Bang. There is no resolution change on the vinyl, no added benefit of any kind, no dynamic range change and it is still distorted and over-compressed.

So in summary, they don't mix and master like they used to..

That's pretty much it.

I suspect that the latest digital technology is capable of delivering a good and involving musical result via both digital media and on tranfer to vinyl.
[we don't have to bound by the appalling spec of CD any longer]

The problem is the required skills and willingness to do it...which sadly appear to be long lost.

Date: September 10, 2012 16:33

kowalski
treaclefingers

Official release - available on September 10.

[www.eagle-rock.com]

Thx BTW!

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 10, 2012 16:56

I suspect that the latest digital technology is capable of delivering a good and involving musical result via both digital media and on tranfer to vinyl.

The problem is the required skills and willingness to do it...which sadly appear to be long lost.

A digital source will never have the complete range of sound that an analog source will on a good vinyl pressing. It can be good and involving, but a well-mastered, old-school analog source that doesn't go through any digital conversion will sound best on vinyl.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: September 10, 2012 18:32

kowalski
Roscoe
kowalski
Whale

DVD Audio Extractor is the easiest tool I found.
Once installed on your computer, DVD AE automatically finds the audio tracks on your DVD. All you have to do is to select the tracks you want to copy, the output format and location...

THANKS!

Date: September 10, 2012 18:39

kowalski
tkl7

If they use the same mastering, the vinyl will be necessarily less compressed for the reason flacnvinyl explained above.

He did not say that. If the same mastering is used, the recording will be just as compressed as the CD. You aren't going to miraculously lose compression by transferring to vinyl instead of cd, all else being equal. It will be the SAME EXACT mastering. The only way to make the vinyl less compressed is at the mastering stage, therefore, a different mastering.

Date: September 12, 2012 16:57

tkl7
kowalski
tkl7

He did not say that. If the same mastering is used, the recording will be just as compressed as the CD. You aren't going to miraculously lose compression by transferring to vinyl instead of cd, all else being equal. It will be the SAME EXACT mastering. The only way to make the vinyl less compressed is at the mastering stage, therefore, a different mastering.

You're right. However I think that with nowadays albums they use the same mastering but for CD pressing they remaster it again for a louder sound.

Date: September 12, 2012 17:13

Here's a comparison of Some Girls in Texas CD and DVD audio track.

This is the first minute of All Down The Line.

First waveform is from CD, second waveform is from DVD audio track.

As one can see the CD waveform is bigger which means the sound is louder. To get this louder sound level the CD track had peaks cut off and/or smashed.

On the other side the DVD audio track has a full dynamic range. This is the reason why it sounds better than the CD.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 12, 2012 19:41

bam

A digital source will never have the complete range of sound that an analog source will on a good vinyl pressing. It can be good and involving, but a well-mastered, old-school analog source that doesn't go through any digital conversion will sound best on vinyl.

Wouldn't quarel with that.
The thing that makes me sad is that the industry doesn't even feel obliged to make the most of the technology it does use !

Their market has been conditioned by 25 years of CD to accept complete shite :^(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 19:43 by Spud.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2060
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home