Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Todays vinyls and the vinyl edition of 'live in texas'
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 17, 2014 00:04

kowalski
frankotero
Guess my last question is there a sticker or something saying it's colored vinyl? Don't know if I want to risk buying it a second time. Thanks for the info Kowalski.

On the one I bought there was no sticker and it was a surprise to find out the yellow and red vinyl(s).

are the coloured vinyl on those legitimate releases?

I ask because I've seen lots of coloured vinyl for sale for other Stones records that are clearly knockoffs.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 17, 2014 00:38

treaclefingers
kowalski
frankotero
Guess my last question is there a sticker or something saying it's colored vinyl? Don't know if I want to risk buying it a second time. Thanks for the info Kowalski.

On the one I bought there was no sticker and it was a surprise to find out the yellow and red vinyl(s).

I ask because I've seen lots of coloured vinyl for sale for other Stones records that are clearly knockoffs.

It's official (look for my previous posts where I posted links to Discogs).

This is the one : [collectorsfrenzy.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 17, 2014 12:08

DandelionPowderman
The imperfect sound you get from vinyl is mixed with "air". The analogue output hence gets a certain warmness.

CDs, although compressed, and downloads are direct mathematical, digital signals of sound.

It's not just the midrange, the compression or the loudness that make the digital formats inferiour.

Let me put it like this...with slight exageration for effect winking smiley

Analogue recording captures all the important musical information but adds various unwanted distortions and colourations.

CD standard Digital recording on the other hand captures perfectly some of the musical information required for a rewarding listen but loses the rest altogether!

So analogue distortions over the important musical bandwidth are largely additive in nature and digital distortions largely subtractive.

Swings and roundabouts some might say ?

No...because the ear and brain are very good at filtering out the unwanted distortions and noise to hear and feel the music.

What the ear and brain can't do is replace musical information that's missing from the signal.

Listening to a CD via a high end audio system can be a bit like experiencing live music played by poor or disinterested musicians.
The format loses much of the subtle pitch and timing information which marks the quality of a musical performance.

[Given a half way decent turntable and system, it's much easier to sing along in tune and time with a record than with a CD.
Don't believe me ?
Go and try it smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-17 12:16 by Spud.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 17, 2014 16:19

Nice analogy Spud.thumbs up

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 17, 2014 16:34

I listen to my vinyl of stripped once a month

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 18, 2014 08:39

kowalski
treaclefingers
kowalski
frankotero

Thanks Kowalski...I did go back in the thread incidentally, and noticed I asked the EXACT same question 2 years ago, and you replied.

I think my memory retention is slipping.

Let's have this same discussion in 2016!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 18, 2014 13:54

treaclefingers
kowalski
treaclefingers
kowalski
frankotero

Thanks Kowalski...I did go back in the thread incidentally, and noticed I asked the EXACT same question 2 years ago, and you replied.

I think my memory retention is slipping.

Let's have this same discussion in 2016!

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home