Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: September 4, 2012 21:52

800-pound gorilla
An overbearing entity in a specific industry or sphere of activity. A seemingly unbeatable presence always to be reckoned with; whose experience, influence, and skill threatens to defeat competitors with little effort.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: September 4, 2012 21:52

bv
We don't care about GRRR! titles and marketing gimmicks. They probably paid a million dollars for that name from a big shot marketing agency. All we care about is the new songs and the gigs in November.

But... we are not grumpy old men... or women! If life is bad then turn on cold water in the tap and put your head under it. Feel the age. But do not use the Stones and their album titles as an excuse for complaining about getting old. Life is great and the GRRR! songs and gigs will be the best thing that hapopened in 2012 for sure. Well after grandchildren and some other stuff of course. But grrrumpy? No!

True indeed. Time passes and we're ALL getting older with time. (Like it or not).

One question - is it just me or does the gorilla/ape seem to have vampire teeth at the side?

Probably just me!!

smoking smiley

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: September 4, 2012 21:57

album should be called 'meh'

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 4, 2012 21:57

EddieByword

That lithograph is in my office right now! Looks great!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 4, 2012 21:58

Cocaine Eyes
bv
We don't care about GRRR! titles and marketing gimmicks. They probably paid a million dollars for that name from a big shot marketing agency. All we care about is the new songs and the gigs in November.

But... we are not grumpy old men... or women! If life is bad then turn on cold water in the tap and put your head under it. Feel the age. But do not use the Stones and their album titles as an excuse for complaining about getting old. Life is great and the GRRR! songs and gigs will be the best thing that hapopened in 2012 for sure. Well after grandchildren and some other stuff of course. But grrrumpy? No!

True indeed. Time passes and we're ALL getting older with time. (Like it or not).

One question - is it just me or does the gorilla/ape seem to have vampire teeth at the side?

Probably just me!!

smoking smiley

You must stop watching so many Twilight movies winking smiley

No... Yeah, those are vampire teeth...

Posted by: claudine ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:00

maybe the inspiration came from this video

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:01

Ape gone shit.
I know I've bashed the cover of Dirty Work to be the worst ever but I've changed my mind. GRRR! Tasteless.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:01

there will be a deluxe edition with 80 tracks!! anybody of you now the list???

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:02

His teeth/fangs are awesome!
Reminds me of the great Halloween Tongue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-04 22:02 by Kurt.

Date: September 4, 2012 22:03

jamesfdouglas
rockenrohl
proudmary
It's sad,isn't it?

"The use of one of the most advanced forms of mobile technology currently around solidifies The Rolling Stones as one of the most innovative bands in the world and as relevant as they have always been".

They're pathetic and delusional if they think using foking upps make them relevant

That made me cringe so badly. They seem to be at the hands of a really shitty PR firm doing their oh-so-amazing app-shite. No way any of the Stones really use this app (or write these cringeworthy PR-texts) - this is all done for them. Which once again seems to me like they don't really care anymore.

What's really pathetic... EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US could get a band app today. Musician or not. And could have for at least the last two years.

Let's read a bit of this, shall we?

These brand new recordings constitute the first time Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood have all been together in the recording studio since completing the exalted A Bigger Bang album in 2005, and follow on from the critically-acclaimed expanded re-releases of the historic 40th Anniversary live Madison Square Garden concert Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out in November 2009, and of two of their seventies masterworks, Exile on Main St., in May 2010, and Some Girls, in November 2011.

So, apparently they didn't record Watching the River Flow last year - with Bill Wyman.

Oh right, that doesn't count since it was on Eagle Records, not Unviersal. Gotcha.

Good thing they reminded us all of Univsersal's Annual Re-Release Project. You know a band is current and busy when they re-realease something every year.

MightyStonesStillRollin50
Underwhelmed? Are you kidding? Two new songs! I am thrilled! This is one giant step forward to bigger and better things to come. Only the tip of the iceberg. Lots of lovely things ahead!

Oh shut your bloody cake-hole you ASS.

24FPS
It's obvious that Keith, even with a growing interest in his music at one point, has done nothing to preserve what listenable areas of his vocal cords still exist. Do you think it has improved since his last efforts? I think people are expecting a Mick 'Stonesish' song and a Keith ballad. After the likes of 'Don't Stop', and 'Losing My Touch', we can only be pleasantly surpised.

I would say that it's obvious that Keith is now non-functional as a musician. He is the reason for no tour in 2012. He is the reason that this "band" is releasing 2 fricking songs instead of an entire album. two new songs in 7 years is all he can be a part of (expect throwing that awful four-note "boo-boo-BWEE-boo" solo garabge on the Dylan cover and hte "new" Exile/Some Girls stuff on which Mick actually WORKED on.

SO instead of getting something fresh from a 50-year-old band - like the Beach Boys - we're robbed of anything of value since 1/2 of the "songwriters" in the band have been sitting around with their arthritic thumbs up his ass. He checked out in the 70's with junk. Now he's been checked out since 2002 with... hanging around uselessly, NOT quitting, and holding ALL the others back.

James, your problem is you just can't handle the truth and have to resort to childish name calling. I am an ass for telling you like it is.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:07

MightyStonesStillRollin50
ROPENI
If this is a preview of what they are planning to do for their concerts,its total bullshit to me,a complete rip off,50 songs,of which 48 having been released,probably over 100 times,same songs just differet packages,its just $$$$$$$$,so don't anyone get ur hopes up, for reasonable ticket prices,$500 and up..l think l may pass this time,the greed on The Stones part is just too much..confused smiley

This compilation was never geared primarily towards their hardcore fan base. This is more about exposing a whole new generation to the Rolling Stones.

Also, this compilation is so Universal can have their own "Hot Rocks," "Forty Licks," "Jump Back" styled Stones Greatest Hits package that they can reap catalog sales on during the holiday season and beyond. It's not like the Stones wanted or needed another Greatest Hits, but Universal did so we have Grrr...

It's kind of nice to see the Stones getting tongue in cheek again with album and song titles, this is after all the band who gave us "Made In The Shade" and "Sucking In The '70s". Let's just hope the two new songs are both sung by Mick and we're not stuck with a Mick and a Keith song as opposed to two new Stones songs.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:10

It is true that the Beach Boys put out a very good new album this year that, while it doesn't stand up to their greatest work, was surprisingly good. And they followed it up with an excellent tour. And, G-d only knows, their personal relationships have been way worse than the Stones -- Mick and Keith never sued each other.

Let's hope something more is coming from the Glimmers.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:11

flacnvinyl
EddieByword

That lithograph is in my office right now! Looks great!

I'm jealous, all I've got is a liitle 6" x 4" job, (I think it's a 1980's mini repro)........my sister was all set to go to the Cardiff Castle show until it was cancelled at the last minute,
That's proper quality imaginative art with the Welsh 'Dai' Dragon adapted like that..glad you didn't say grrrreat............

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-15 01:24 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:13

I'm not exactly going ape over this.....

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:14

Again. What's up with the title?
GRRR!

Posted by: RSforever ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:17

Extremely, extremely disappointed!!

It is only business, business, business, - no passion at all!

Buy this buy that, one hundred different versions of boxes etc etc..
although nothing new but two tracks in 7 years!?!?!?
I would NEVER buy this GRRR, I feel insulted! If you don't have any substantial new material then don't bother releasing anything! There are enough compilations already. I don't care for new boxes of old stuff. I'm getting allergic to all this big business, fooling weak devoted fans to by all this crap. (Think about all those brainwashed collectors, that are now forced to spend a fortune, 1000 of $$, on buing multiple different versions each of GRRR and Brussels Affair, etc, "limited editions" only containing some additional postcards and other paper crap things etc etc..) This is disgusting!

The reason for liking Stones in the first place was all due to their passion and devotion going into the their music and performances. Where have all that gone?
I was actually also looking forward to that documentary, although judging by their actions in last years, I wonder how much of what will be shown will actually be real, and not only to sell just another item. Maybe I'll just pass on that one too.

It may all have been reasonable if they had first released a new album, then had announced a tour, or at least some shows, and last a compilation after all the other stuff had been completed. Although, they have almost never actually been seen togeather in the last years, so what is all this 50th celebration all about really?

It's funny, you just cannot say and behave and tell a story in one way and then act totally opposite, your fans will be smarter than that, hopefully.

Sorry RS, you may just have lost a hardcore fan for the last 25 years.
You better make some real big announcements quite soon now, in order to redeem yourself. If you don't care anymore, then why should I?...

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:19

But.... really... what the f+++ did you expect to find?????
We knew that.... didn't we?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:20

Harm
Would be nice to hear Charlie's reaction

I am sure they all have had a helluva laugh!>grinning smiley<

I think even Brian Jones has a grin in is face wherever he is... One thing I have always liked about the Stones they always have had that funny, a bit nasty sense of humour, and they surely can laugh at themselves as well! I am surprised how seriously people seem to take it here.

- Doxa

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:22

DiscoVolante
GRRR!

Right that sounds like a Bear or a dog, but not a Gorilla. A Gorilla is more like oooh oooh.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:24

DiscoVolante
GRRR!

GRRReed

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:25

Very nice cover, I always wanted them to do something like that, the title is great also. But why not rerecord all the tracks?, atleast that would be worth buying.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:27

Here's a preview of the new act this November...with a gorilla counting the money at the end.

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:29

proudmary
It's sad,isn't it?

"The use of one of the most advanced forms of mobile technology currently around solidifies The Rolling Stones as one of the most innovative bands in the world and as relevant as they have always been".

They're pathetic and delusional if they think using foking upps make them relevant

Quite. What this means is that there is not much left to brag about.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:29

Max'sKansasCity
Rev. Robert W.
SonicDreamer
EddieByword

Even Denzil the Dragon has more class than Gregory the Gorilla.

SonicD

Funny. I drew the opposite conclusion. While the title is terrible--why on Earth would they pick a title that's silly to say out loud?--I'm sort of pleased by the tasteless cover art. It seems a throwback to the mid-70s.
The gorilla's name is Gregory? is that only when he is trouble? ... do they usually call him Gregg?

Well da Gorilla did not look like a "Gertrude" or a "Gerald"....

Date: September 4, 2012 22:30

bam
It is true that the Beach Boys put out a very good new album this year that, while it doesn't stand up to their greatest work, was surprisingly good. And they followed it up with an excellent tour. And, G-d only knows, their personal relationships have been way worse than the Stones -- Mick and Keith never sued each other.

Let's hope something more is coming from the Glimmers.

Of course something more is coming. Lots more. Stay tuned.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:30

TheBlockbuster
Very nice cover, I always wanted them to do something like that, the title is great also. But why not rerecord all the tracks?, atleast that would be worth buying.

Buying? I don't think that would be worth hearing....

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:31

Searching in desperation to find some meaning in this foolishness, I've come up empty handed...

[www.whats-your-sign.com]

Gorilla Meanings and Thoughts about Animal Symbolism Related to the Gorilla

Often misunderstood as ferocious and aggressive, the gorilla is quite a peaceful creature. Perhaps it's close relationship with humans both in appearance and mannerism is what causes the gorilla to be a commonly overlooked totem. After all, the human mind tends to fear that which exposes its true identity.

The animal symbolism of gorilla is much more noble than face-value or surface appearance.

Observe this regal creature in its natural habitat. Gorillas are vastly sociable, and have intricate methods of communication with each other. Furthermore, there is a great deal of honor involved with their interactions with each other.

Gorillas are intimately aware of each member within the community. In fact, the responsibility to assist both young and elderly members of the troop (term for a group of gorillas) are shared among all the members of the community. This is a message to us to not pass over our debt to our elders - but be active participants in their final days. Likewise, gorillas show us that we should be raising our children (not our TV sets).

A short-list of animal symbolism of the gorilla includes attributes like:

Communication
Loyalty
Leadership
Compassion
Intelligence
Nobility
Dignity
Strength
Responsibility
Nurturing
Connectivity

When the gorilla comes into our lives it is a signal for us to raise our heads and recognize the nobility within us. This is not prideful or boastful behavior. Rather, the gorilla exudes a quiet honor and a still dignity that makes a much more profound statement than any boast. We humans (particularly this day and age) would do well to mimic such regal behavior.

The gorilla also gives us a message of leadership but not of the aggressive kind. Rather, the gorilla manages other members within the troop with temperance, understanding, compassion and balance. Very seldom is aggression or violence required in order to get the point accress. The gorilla reminds us that tyrannical leaders will never win respect. The message here is that decency, honesty, and quiet charisma win loyal followers.

The next opportunity you have, look into the soulful eyes of the gorilla, and you will know there is a depth of intelligence there that is undeniable. The gorilla reminds us there is more to knowledge than what is found in text books.

As an animal dream symbol, the gorilla represents the need to take action. When we dream of the gorilla it is a signal that we've been resting on our laurels, and it's time to start earning that which we want instead of waiting for rewards to fall into our laps.

Invest the time to meditate upon the gorilla. You will find this amazing creature to be quite generous with its wisdom. You may also find the gorilla to be a life-long companion, it will remain loyal and devoted to you when you grant it the same respect.

What's more, gorilla totems often impart a protective energy to those who are attracted to them.

I hope you have enjoyed these thoughts on the animal symbolism of the gorilla.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:32

I will buy it, as I´m a Stones fan.
I hope that the 2 songs are OK.
I´m disappointed, though. Is this really their last shot?
Will they close the door with another compilation?

But there is hope:
I hope they do 4 affordable shows end of the year.
I hope they do four good shows.

I hope for a new album in 2013.
I hope for a tour in 2013.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:33

TheBlockbuster
This would be against the rules, as it means they'd have to do work before earning the 100s of millions. This is just not my band anymore. This is a ridiculous, embarrassing bunch of old farts only interested in $$$.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-04 22:35 by micawber.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:37

There's the sun, the moon and the shit.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2622
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home