Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 5, 2012 01:43

NICOS
treaclefingers
I just showed it to my 6 year old. He laughed.

Wasn't he scarred?

He may be scarred by the bad art work...but scared, no.

I think the only frightening thing is this is their best effort. This is what they came up with.

Oh dear.

Date: September 5, 2012 01:45

lem motlow
this really could be a good bit for a spinal tap sequel,the band just reissue their old material every year.

nigel tufnel-"yes,we've moved beyond titles so we're just using sounds now.on our 51st anniversary we're gonna use a tiger.it'll be called rrrrrrr and the title of our greatest hits on our 52nd will be the sound of a humpback whale,we havent actually decided how to spell that yet"

They should really do some sort of 'send up' of this on SNL. Too bad Mick has Lorne Michaels in his hip pocket.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 5, 2012 01:45

C'mon, people, have a look at the photo at the main page of IORR - those four 'gentlemen' - posing there like a boy band - look exactly like guys who are going to release a gorilla cover... the grins and all... damn I love their wit and self-irony! >grinning smiley<

It is going to be just another boring 'greatest´hits' collection, but at least it has a controversial - not really, but seemingly hurting the aesthetic taste of majority here - cover and title to make a little difference. The band is not quite yet ready to put to wax museum, and to behave exactly as they are expected to do.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-05 01:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 5, 2012 01:50

I suspect that people just enjoy spanking the monkey... maybe a lil too much.grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-05 01:52 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: September 5, 2012 01:54

Doxa
C'mon, people, have a look at the photo at the main page of IORR - those four 'gentlemen' - posing there like a boy band - look exactly like guys who are going to release a gorilla cover... the grins and all... damn I love their wit and self-irony! >grinning smiley<

It is going to be just another boring 'greatest´hits' collection, but at least it has a controversial - not really, but seemingly hurting the aesthetic taste of majority here - cover and title to make a little difference. The band is not quite yet ready to put to wax museum, and to behave exactly as they are expected to do.

- Doxa

Doxa, I normally agree with your well thought out posts, however this cover is just a bit beneath them, and to describe it as self-irony is grasping at a reason to find it relevant.

I doubt the Stones themselves even came up with this concept. It continues the theme of bad album covers, starting with Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Bridges to Babylon, ABB, the photoshopping of Bill Wyman and now this.

Oh well, let's see what's inside I s'pose. Hopefully that will make up for it.
Never judge a book by it's cover!

Date: September 5, 2012 01:59

Bridges to Babylon was a great album cover.... come on man.

Date: September 5, 2012 02:00

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:00

Or maybe little reference to this direction:

- Doxa

Date: September 5, 2012 02:02

oh really?..... interesting point!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:04

doxa,i admire your perseverance and loyalty but this has been coming for awhile.

40 licks was a lame throwaway title but at least it wasnt laughable.then we got "bigger bang", still not cringeworthy but something any 3rd tier rock band couldve come up with.
even the songs are cliche."look what the cat dragged in" was the title of a song by the 80s glamrock band poison.and sadly,the stones lyrics arent much better.
drivin too fast? i remember the first time i heard it when it was called "devil inside"-face it,theyve either completely lost it,are out of ideas or they just dont care.

a 50 song retrospective called grrr? they shouldve just quit while they were ahead.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:08

flacnvinyl
They have jumped the shark. This is some stupid sh1t. What on Earth happened to my favorite band... Gazza, StonesTod, I need a hug.

*goes to curl up in the fetal position in a corner of his office*

Has he gone AWOL or just MIA?

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:09

I bet Ron Wood painted it.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:10

They could use the King Kong - 8th wonder of the world stage for the Grrr! Tour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-05 02:12 by DiscoVolante.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:14

Regarding 40 Licks, because I never purchased it, to this day I have never heard 3 of the 4 new songs from that comp, aside from Don't Stop. Those are the only 3 officially released Stones songs I've never heard. Did I miss anything?

Date: September 5, 2012 02:19

stonesnow
Regarding 40 Licks, because I never purchased it, to this day I have never heard 3 of the 4 new songs from that comp, aside from Don't Stop. Those are the only 3 officially released Stones songs I've never heard. Did I miss anything?

Let us know...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:21

stonesnow

You did.

Losing my touch is actually a very well written tune, just not a well written Stones tune.

Also Keys To Your Love is very Tattoo You

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:25

punkfloyd
I bet Ron Wood painted it.

No, it's even worse than that.

Normally I think Doxa is a voice of reason here, but in trying to make lemonade out of this particular lemon he's really grasping for straws. Controversial? No, it's just plain suck-ass.

Date: September 5, 2012 02:26

GRRRUMPY!!

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:27

Amazing news - above and beyond all expectations. Would love to pay top dollar for this unique new compilation, after all it's been ten years already since the last one covering the exact same ground. (Two new songs to download illegally or via itunes, that's all)

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:29

Max'sKansasCity
GRRRUMPY!!

Yep, with good reason! But happy in my grumpiness.

Date: September 5, 2012 02:29

I just hope the news songs are more rocking like Rough Justice and less like "I lost the keys to your car or someone stole them" from 40 LIcks

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:33

It was mentioned That GRRR has Come On on it. Vold this mean That it's not just a hits package, but rather a Best Of? Would be Nice If it wasn't only hits, but also songs That was developments In the songwriting. Cyhmk could be on it without being a single or a hit.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:34

The last graphic design from this band that spoke to me in anyway at all was the jagged/split color tongue from 1989. I actually thought Flashpoint was cool in a bold yet minimalist way, but it's really been downhill since that era.

Actually I take that back a bit. The skeletons of Voodoo Lounge were kinda cool. I had a badass instore display that had a backlight scene of the skeletons playing cards. The stupid yellow zombie sort of ruined it though. Sold it to a fella on Ebay in 2000 for $200!

They should have stuck with skeletons like the Grateful Dead sort of did.

Date: September 5, 2012 02:34

stonesnow
flacnvinyl
They have jumped the shark. This is some stupid sh1t. What on Earth happened to my favorite band... Gazza, StonesTod, I need a hug.

*goes to curl up in the fetal position in a corner of his office*

Has he gone AWOL or just MIA?

Every 6 months or so he goes into hibernation for a couple of months in order to shed his skin.

While I miss him already, on the bright side we'll get a newer, smoother StonesTod soon!

Date: September 5, 2012 02:36

Max'sKansasCity

THey will stop at NOTHING! Are you telling me they even photoshopped kitty out of the original B2B cover art?

Maybe it was Bill's cat?

Date: September 5, 2012 02:36

This is a disgusting display by the Stones.

How much effort would it have required to record 7 to 9 more songs ??????? Even if they were not brand new songs,they could have finished up 7 to 9 outtakes in the style of Tattoo You.

If that would be too difficult,I honestly would rather have had them just release a single with the 2 new songs and maybe re-release Forty Licks. It is way too soon for them to release ANOTHER "greatest hits" set just 10 years and change after Forty Licks. It is an obvious and transparent attempt to cash in on the 50th anniversary. They should have at least waited until the 55th anniversary to pull this stunt. The Stones reputation will undoubtedly take a bad hit for this nonsense.

They even could have finished off the Memory Motel boxed set project which was shelved 10 - 11 years ago and then added on these 2 new songs. Anything with any degree of creativity would be better than this foolishness.

GRRReed

Jumping the Shark _

Date: September 5, 2012 02:37

punkfloyd
The last graphic design from this band that spoke to me in anyway at all was the jagged/split color tongue from 1989. I actually thought Flashpoint was cool in a bold yet minimalist way, but it's really been downhill since that era.

Actually I take that back a bit. The skeletons of Voodoo Lounge were kinda cool. I had a badass instore display that had a backlight scene of the skeletons playing cards. The stupid yellow zombie sort of ruined it though. Sold it to a fella on Ebay in 2000 for $200!

They should have stuck with skeletons like the Grateful Dead sort of did.

I've seen them recently...now worth $800.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:38

flacnvinyl
I can't wait for the interview explaining this childish artwork. No one will actually like this artwork. It makes ZERO sense. There is no back story, no theme, NOTHING that can redeem this artwork. Will we get a jungle-themed stage? Mick as Tarzan? Keith falls out of coconut tree before starting the first song? Charlie on bongos?

This is stupid.
i would fly to london to see that sh** both shows lmao!

Date: September 5, 2012 02:43

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity

THey will stop at NOTHING! Are you telling me they even photoshopped kitty out of the original B2B cover art?

Maybe it was Bill's cat?
Yeah... but as you can see.. it was very scaredycatted

Date: September 5, 2012 02:44

punkfloyd

KEWL!!!

And I am delighted to see things like this finally selling in the hundreds, maybe time to sell off some pieces of my collection.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1632
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home