Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 11, 2012 05:03

Posted by: PresidentBartlet ()
Date: September 11, 2012 06:29

I love the album cover!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 11, 2012 07:06

Rev. Robert W.
Rocky Dijon
Maybe it just comes down to the "Some Girls" controversy back in 1978 when Mick responded, "if you can't take a joke, too @#$%& bad."

Here's the joke--on you, on Max's and whoever else has been "applauding" Penguin's pathetic little project.

It's 2012 and the man has served almost a full term as President of the United States. And you guys are pasting up, then giggling about, childish racism on a fan discussion board. So who's the loser, exactly?

But this is the best part: When people--who are here to talk about the Stones and would basically prefer to ignore you all--actually call you on it...you run and hide and call it a "joke."

C'mon, show some spine.

My invitation to you all is that you stand up and own and celebrate the fact that you're childish, ignorant little fools. That's actually more respectable than anything I've seen from you in this thread.

Picks for the day: "It's Alright," "Slave," "Pretty Beat Up," "Let It Bleed," "Winter"

Well, since you never asked if I support the President of the United States, which I do, I suppose the loser would be you, Reverend. Did the discussion have anything to do with the Stones? Yeah, it did. Will I "stand up and show some spine and admit I'm a childish, ignorant little fool?" Sure, I'll own up. I'm a middle aged man who still listens to rebellious rock music from a band whose logo and frequently their lyrics and picture sleeves were/are deemed sexist and offensive and clearly I'm the inferior to those politically correct fans who can tell the difference between "Brown Sugar," "Some Girls," the EXILE cover art and that very shameful person Penguin and his irreverence. Suitably chastised, I shall now try my best to think of all those wonderfully politically correct Stones songs I love like "When the Whip Comes Down" and "Little T & A." For if there's one thing we can be sure of with rock 'n' roll, its certainly never "childish, ignorant, and foolish." What a tool.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 11, 2012 07:46

POST DELETED TO LOWER RISK OF BEING BANNED

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 01:07 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: September 11, 2012 08:06

I doubt Penguin intended to be labeled racist. My guess was Obama was there for the sake of a celebrity face just like the original album cover he parodied. That was my thought when I saw it, not some knee-jerk "black man = monkey" snicker. I doubt anyone who laughed at it thought that. We're all monkeys, aren't we? Douglas Adams pointed out the difference between Beatles fans and Stones fans was the latter's knuckles dragged on the ground when they walked by and they tended to win arguments over which group was better by hitting you about the head. Kind of a shame that particular stereotype is more often than not replaced by some sort of neo-conservative hysteria.

It is odd the good Reverend evokes "Respectable" a Stones song that also failed to show proper respect to the American President half way through his term. And gee, that particular US President was a Southerner. Doesn't that make "Faraway Eyes" just terrible in that context, too? Shame on those awful British tax exiles for not knowing better. Someone should give them a stern talking to about decency.

Seriously, I don't look at Penguin's parody art as political commentary. I seriously doubt he was on some sort of self-destructive streak and decided to offend people with an image that would be condemned as racist. He probalby figured Stones fans had enough of a sense of humor and sense of the irreverent to laugh at it. I imagine the bad reaction spoiled the fun.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 11, 2012 08:13

POST DELETED TO LOWER RISK OF BEING BANNED

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 01:07 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 11, 2012 08:43

>It is odd the good Reverend evokes "Respectable" a Stones song that also failed to show proper respect to the American President half way through his term. And gee, that particular US President was a Southerner.

The "easiest lay on the White House lawn" was a dig at Bianca re: her fraternizing w/Jack Ford, son of Gerald. Nothing to do w/Carter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-11 08:45 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 11, 2012 09:41

Uhh... I've just viewed Penguins cover and I fail to see how it isn't anything g other than totally racist. As someone who'll soon be marrying a black South African, I can assure you that any black person would be deeply offended. Yes, the Stones can be accused of coming up with some racially risqué lyrics - Sweet Black Angel, Some Girls, etc - but the songs are of their time and the boys certainly know better now. A joke is all well and good, but...

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: September 11, 2012 11:49

Big Al
Uhh... I've just viewed Penguins cover and I fail to see how it isn't anything g other than totally racist. As someone who'll soon be marrying a black South African, I can assure you that any black person would be deeply offended. Yes, the Stones can be accused of coming up with some racially risqué lyrics - Sweet Black Angel, Some Girls, etc - but the songs are of their time and the boys certainly know better now. A joke is all well and good, but...

How is Sweet Black Angel racial?!

Date: September 11, 2012 12:27

Vocalion

The 'little nig**r' line - or however it goes. I actually didn't notice the lyric untill I read about it on one of these forums.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 11, 2012 13:35

Contrary to my first reaction, I now actually quite like the cover. As the cover for a modern Stones primer, it does the job.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 11, 2012 14:06

Big Al
Vocalion

The 'little nig**r' line - or however it goes. I actually didn't notice the lyric untill I read about it on one of these forums.

No way was that intended to be racial. It's from an old English nursery rhyme, just like
Mary had a little lamb or Humpty Dumpty. Even Agatha Christy had a novel with this
"ten little niggers" title, later changed into "And then there were none".
Of course, nowadays it's no longer political correct to use a term like that, but here
they meant to make a reference to the slavery-past. Instead of being racists themselves,
they are suggesting there are racist motives for the proces against Angela Davis.
The reference to the old English nursery rhyme is the contrary of being a racist remark.

(I know this is OT, but I can't stand misinterpretations of the truth).

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 11, 2012 14:48

Big Al
Vocalion

You're missing the context of the lyrics. Jagger isn't calling anyone a 'nigger' - Marco has explained it pretty well above.

Agree with you about Penguin's cover, though.

Date: September 11, 2012 15:00

Yes, good summary, indeed, marco. I don't actually find the lyrics to Sweet Black Angel offensive - or any Stones lyrics for that matter. Nor do I think the term 'nigger' should be taken out from Huckeberry Finn. If its of it's time or in historical context, then it's fine. It's when it's abusive that it is a problem.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: September 11, 2012 15:27

It still amazes me to see post after post about the COVER! I don't give a damn about the cover! I want to see the track list before I start bitching. If it's another repackaging of singles, it will be a let down. But I would think that at least the 80 track version would include some of the great album cuts that haven't been included in prior repackagings. What if the gorilla had been the cover of Exile On Main Street...or even Hot Rocks? Would it diminish the music that's inside? I want to know what's in this new set before I complain. I'll be bummed if it's just an expanded repeat of 40 Licks.

Date: September 11, 2012 15:29

Forget it already

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 11, 2012 15:34

Of course its an expanded repeat of 40 Licks. I doubt there'll be too many of the 36 'old' songs on THAT release that wont be included in this new one, whether its the 50 track or 80-track version.

There was probably at least 30 songs on 40 Licks that picked themselves, if the Stones were going to select a career spanning compilation comprising singles and the most well known of their album tracks.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 11, 2012 15:52

Big Al
Uhh... I've just viewed Penguins cover and I fail to see how it isn't anything g other than totally racist....

I am not doubting that it's racist ... and I'm sure he put Obama in there with that intent ... but all that makes it much more funnier to me, and even more-so if others are offended in any way.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 11, 2012 15:53

Big Al

Haven't seen Penguin address the issue that we've 'misinterpreted' yet either.

Date: September 11, 2012 16:18

I think of their great, classic albums with iconic cover art: Sticky Fingers, Exile, Let It Bleed, even the white Beggars Banquet. Several other albums are merely important records with cool names and covers: Tattoo, IORR, etc. And even some of the Stones' greatest hits packages have interesting names and covers: High Tides (UK & US), TT Past Darkly, Hot Rocks 1....

But now comes GRRR! I guess I rather like the album title now. But IMO the cover is their worst ever. And that is saying something, considering that they've had some really bad covers. GRRR is the worst by far, IMO.

I hope the 2 new songs are good. They should release a "single edition." CD-single, plus 7" vinyl single. I might buy that.... but only if the cover is not the stupid gorilla.

Date: September 11, 2012 16:39

I'm curious as to the exact purpose of the 80-track set. A section that large I would imagine is a little too much for the listener who wants the hits and pointless to those such as I who already own all the albums. I think it's soley for the collectors. It'll be interesting to see the selection they've come up with, though.

Date: September 11, 2012 16:44

And if its really 3 CDS they must be editing the hell out of quite a few tracks.

Date: September 11, 2012 16:47

Big Al
I'm curious as to the exact purpose of the 80-track set.

Maybe they are testing to see if there is enough interest to release a 120-track edition.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 11, 2012 16:48

Rocky Dijon
And if its really 3 CDS they must be editing the hell out of quite a few tracks.

I hope they finally get rid of that awful sax solo in Brown Sugar...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 11, 2012 17:09

I remember the days when they made one record. Not eleven versions of one record. And the record had new songs on it. And they made a record, with new songs on it, lo and behold, almost every year.
Those were the days!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-11 17:17 by Stoneage.

Date: September 11, 2012 17:35

Munichhilton
Rocky Dijon

I hope they finally get rid of that awful sax solo in Brown Sugar...

Ordinarily I'd defend Bobby's gorgeous King Curtis-style solo here, but perhaps you're speaking of the current Universal master which makes it sound like he's playing a kazoo.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: September 11, 2012 18:39

Stop makin' noise about this album and writin' silly things about it. This was included in the Universal Records agreement. That's all.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: September 11, 2012 19:27

No official news about the tracking list ?

Date: September 11, 2012 19:58

GRRRR! should be called Sad Sad Sad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 03:48 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Date: September 11, 2012 20:07

Agreed wholeheartedly on that point, but let's connect it to "Sweet Neo Con" or "Dangerous Beauty" or something so we don't get accused of turning political.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home