Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 14, 2012 08:11

GRR

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: September 14, 2012 08:47

pinkfloydthebarber
but i am struggling to understand the term "racist" being used against people in a manner where it was never proven or demonstrated, from what i saw at least, that the "offenders" main intent was to commit a racially motivated 'crime'

The Penguin's intentions are obviously irrelevant. This is a question of witch hunt mentality.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 14, 2012 09:24

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The cover of Sucking In The Seventies is excellent! It's hilarious! It's such a bizarre compilation. I love it. It's one of my faves. I know Keith looked at it as 'record label' mettling but you, eh, I'll leave that one alone.

I'm glad for it. I listen to it a lot actually. It might be their best in a strange way.

And the cover is excellent - a giant pair of BALLS!

A pity, though, about how on that comp Time Waits For No One was faded out before the Mick Taylor playout really got going--perhaps they [the Stones] held a grudge against Taylor, for leaving, the way his name was "airbrushed" out of Clapton's 1986 Grammy presentation for lifetime achievement--I mean, what's the sense in listening to Time Waits without listening to those excellent guitar lines that frankly make the song work from 3:27 to 6:43?

Date: September 14, 2012 10:20

stonesnow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The cover of Sucking In The Seventies is excellent! It's hilarious! It's such a bizarre compilation. I love it. It's one of my faves. I know Keith looked at it as 'record label' mettling but you, eh, I'll leave that one alone.

I'm glad for it. I listen to it a lot actually. It might be their best in a strange way.

A pity, though, about how on that comp Time Waits For No One was faded out before the Mick Taylor playout really got going--perhaps they [the Stones] held a grudge against Taylor, for leaving, the way his name was "airbrushed" out of Clapton's 1986 Grammy presentation for lifetime achievement--I mean, what's the sense in listening to Time Waits without listening to those excellent guitar lines that frankly make the song work from 3:27 to 6:43?

No, no, no. It was simply too long for the compilation. It was the same case with Beast Of Burden, Fool To Cry and others. Edited as hell. It's got nothing to do with Taylor.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 14, 2012 10:24

DandelionPowderman
stonesnow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

No, no, no. It was simply too long for the compilation. It was the same case with Beast Of Burden, Fool To Cry and others. Edited as hell. It's got nothing to do with Taylor.

There's only one track on Sucking in the 70s which is not edited; Shattered. Everything else is

Date: September 14, 2012 10:44

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
stonesnow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

There's only one track on Sucking in the 70s which is not edited; Shattered. Everything else is

Even the When The Whip Comes Down live take is edited.

If Dance pt. 1 is edited is hard to tell...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 14, 2012 12:34

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
stonesnow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Even the When The Whip Comes Down live take is edited.

If Dance pt. 1 is edited is hard to tell...

It is those two songs why I bought the album at the time (or was there "Everything's Turning to Gold?" as well - probably not since I worked quite hard to get "´Shattered" single to get that one), but haven't much listened the album ever since. Weren't some of the editions based on the single versions, instead of album ones?

- Doxa

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 14, 2012 12:38

Doxa
It is those two songs why I bought the album at the time (or was there "Everything's Turning to Gold?" as well - probably not since I worked quite hard to get "´Shattered" single to get that one), but haven't much listened the album ever since. Weren't some of the editions based on the single versions, instead of album ones?

- Doxa

Yes all of them were based on single version, apart from Shattered; and if memory serves; some of them were "radio promo edits" and not the standard single version

Everything Is Turning To Gold is there, that's true. Together with Whip LIVE and Dance part 2, I have played that album a lot over the years, though I usually don't care much for compilations

Date: September 14, 2012 12:43

Erik_Snow
Doxa

- Doxa

Yes all of them were based on single version, apart from Shattered; and if memory serves; some of them were "radio promo edits" and not the standard single version

Everything Is Turning To Gold is there, that's true. Together with Whip LIVE and Dance part 2, I have played that album a lot over the years, though I usually don't care much for compilations

For some reason it's probably the compilation I've played the most, too - together with Rolled Gold.

Date: September 14, 2012 13:10

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
Doxa

- Doxa

For some reason it's probably the compilation I've played the most, too - together with Rolled Gold.

Mine is probably the late 70's K-tel realease BEST OF THE ROLLING STONES, covering their 60's hits. That's the album that introduced me to ´"Satisfaction", "Paint it Black", "Jack Flash", "Honky Tonk", etc´. but unfortunately I sold it to my friend, when I had all the material in other releases. Since then I think BIG HITS and THROUGH THE PAST, DARKLY has been my most listened 'official' compilations (with NO STONE UNTURNED and FOR COLLECTORS ONLY). I Never have had ROLLED GOLD or HOT ROCKS volumes, and before FORTY LICKS I didn't own any "Rolling Stones Records" era compilation expect SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES. I never have had a drive being a completist in compilations, and I think MADE IN THE SHADE, REWARD (or what is called the 84 collection?) or JUMP BOX didn't offer anything extra, since I already had all the songs. In this sense I see those two classic 60's compilations (BIG HITS and THROUGH THE PAST, DARKLY) almost as substantial as their studio albums, and the most 'authentic' medium to have those classic single hits.

But I just bought with five Euros the recent Dressmann collection HOT STUFF, and I think its is a very good collection of the songs from STICKY FINGERS on (the only strange minus is that it lacks "Brown Sugar"). I could recommend that as a good introduction into post-Decca era (much better at least than what is offered in FORTY LICKS)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-14 13:14 by Doxa.

Date: September 14, 2012 13:18

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
Doxa

- Doxa

Mine is probably the late 70's K-tel realease BEST OF THE ROLLING STONES, covering their 60's hits. That's the album that introduced me to ´"Satisfaction", "Paint it Black", "Jack Flash", "Honky Tonk", etc´. but unfortunately I sold it to my friend, when I had all the material in other releases. Since then I think BIG HITS and THROUGH THE PAST, DARKLY has been my most listened 'official' compilations (with NO STONE UNTURNED and FOR COLLECTORS ONLY). I Never have had ROLLED GOLD or HOT ROCKS volumes, and before FORTY LICKS I didn't own any "Rolling Stones Records" era compilation expect SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES. I never have had a drive being a completist in compilations, and I think MADE IN THE SHADE, REWARD (or what is called the 84 collection?) or JUMP BOX didn't offer anything extra, since I already had all the songs. In this sense I see those two classic 60's compilations (BIG HITS and THROUGH THE PAST, DARKLY) almost as substantial as their studio albums, and the most 'authentic' medium to have those classic single hits.

But I just bought with five Euros the recent Dressmann collection HOT STUFF, and I think its is a very good collection of the songs from STICKY FINGERS on (the only strange minus is that it lacks "Brown Sugar"). I could recommend that as a good introduction into post-Decca era (much better at least than what is offered in FORTY LICKS)

- Doxa

As a norwegian I should really have bought that one as well, but it felt kinda weird, so I decided not to smiling smiley

What's "K-tel", is that "The Story Of The Stones"?

Through The Past... and Made In The Shade have had a few spins here as well. I never bought Time Waits For No One.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-14 13:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 14, 2012 13:24

Erik_Snow
Doxa

- Doxa

Okay, my memory makes tricks - it surely was a new song for me at the time I bought teh album (1982). It was probably "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" single I had hard time to get, in order to have "Through The Lonely Nights"...

But what I do remember is that of the 'new' songs, ""When The Whip Comes Down" made the biggest impact - actually a HUGE impact, and after that the original studio version started to sound lame.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-14 13:30 by Doxa.

Date: September 14, 2012 16:00

Erik_Snow
Doxa

- Doxa

One doesn't have to listen to Turning To Gold closely to hear how that track was severly edited. They really took the knife to that track.

Date: September 14, 2012 16:18

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Erik_Snow
Doxa

- Doxa

One doesn't have to listen to Turning To Gold closely to hear how that track was severly edited. They really took the knife to that track.

The three 7+ minutes-versions on the Place Pigalle-bootleg might have been a tad too long winking smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 14, 2012 17:16

One last shot

Date: September 14, 2012 18:20

DandelionPowderman

No, ThE BEST OF THE ROLLING STONES was just a compilation made for Finnish markets, it back cover was written in Finnish, etc. The front cover was the cover of "Jumping Jack Flash" single. I recall it was advertised in television at the time (1979?) when I wasn't any kind of Rolling Stones fan, and probably just knew their name (but one song in that advertisemt made an instant impact on me. And some two yaers later I would recognize it as "Paint It Black" - which funnily I actually first get to know in STONE AGE - a 'classical' albúm in 'some' sensegrinning smiley).

K-Tel is some odd record company that made compilation albums (by different artists) in Europe at the time. STORY OF THE STONES is one of those (made for German market?), Someone here obce I remember knew much of that. I guess there is Wikipedia...

- Doxa

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 14, 2012 18:32

I have that one too (Story of the Stones). I think it was my first compilation album. It was a double LP album with all their 60s hits. All in good quality. Regretfully, I have all my LP:s in a box in the cellar now.

Date: September 14, 2012 18:50

I just read the press release for Grrr! on the Stones website again. The new song is called "One more shot", not "One last shot" there. They say so on Twitter, too, and also Chuck Leavell in a recent interview. Where does this wrong "last shot" come from? Sounds more optimistic future wise than the dramatic "last shot".

Posted by: Winningugly ()
Date: September 14, 2012 19:15

'Out there in the dressing room, the other side is bleeding...'

Disappointing. Come on boys!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 14, 2012 20:05

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

No, ThE BEST OF THE ROLLING STONES was just a compilation made for Finnish markets, it back cover was written in Finnish, etc. The front cover was the cover of "Jumping Jack Flash" single. I recall it was advertised in television at the time (1979?) when I wasn't any kind of Rolling Stones fan, and probably just knew their name (but one song in that advertisemt made an instant impact on me. And some two yaers later I would recognize it as "Paint It Black" - which funnily I actually first get to know in STONE AGE - a 'classical' albúm in 'some' sensegrinning smiley).

K-Tel is some odd record company that made compilation albums (by different artists) in Europe at the time. STORY OF THE STONES is one of those (made for German market?), Someone here obce I remember knew much of that. I guess there is Wikipedia...

- Doxa

In the 70s K-Tel releassed alternately a double album, and then 2 individual albums, as The Rolling Stones Greatest Hits, (Vol. 1 & II in the case of the individual releases) all stuff from the 60s DECCA/London/ABKCO years.

Nothing to astonishing, just another compilation sold via TV commercials.

Date: September 14, 2012 20:46

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

K-Tel sold records here in Canada too, in the 70's. One of the first records I ever bought was some K-Tel compilation when I was about 9. their commercials were everywhere on tv, and the albums, with their garish "only in the '70s" covers, were drug store staples.

Daniel Boone? WTF?? who the hell was that? not the lumber jack guy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-14 20:48 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 14, 2012 20:58

pinkfloydthebarber
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

K-Tel sold records here in Canada too, in the 70's. One of the first records I ever bought was some K-Tel compilation when I was about 9. their commercials were everywhere on tv, and the albums, with their garish "only in the '70s" covers, were drug store staples.

I was on the receiving end of a lot of those commercials as well Pink!

Date: September 14, 2012 21:09

treaclefingers
pinkfloydthebarber
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

I was on the receiving end of a lot of those commercials as well Pink!

hahaha!

here's another one, i probably had half of these at least!

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: September 14, 2012 21:33

Philip Kives, the founder of K-tel, is a Canadian
[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 14, 2012 21:48

treaclefingers
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

In the 70s K-Tel releassed alternately a double album, and then 2 individual albums, as The Rolling Stones Greatest Hits, (Vol. 1 & II in the case of the individual releases) all stuff from the 60s DECCA/London/ABKCO years.

Nothing to astonishing, just another compilation sold via TV commercials.

This was the first Stones album I ever bought and the one which pretty much made me a fan. A TV-advertised 30-track double LP on Arcade Records in December 1977.

To this day I have never owned a copy of Rolled Gold, which was the main UK Decca compilation at the time having been released a couple of years earlier, nor even Hot Rocks (which I dont think was released in the UK until it came out as a CD)

Date: September 14, 2012 21:51

HighwireC
Philip Kives, the founder of K-tel, is a Canadian
[en.wikipedia.org]

''In the late sixties I started my company K-Tel and the rest is history. My biggest selling product was the Miracle Brush, selling 28 million in the late sixties. My biggest music seller was 'Hooked on Classics', selling over 10 million... and it is still selling today. By the early eighties K-Tel sold over half a billion albums world-wide.''

[www.ktel.com]

Miracle Brush! hahaha ..i've had one of these damn things for about 30 years!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-14 21:52 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Date: September 14, 2012 21:57

never seen that 'get stones' comp before. not released in canada?

also not much from let it bleed on it, is there?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 14, 2012 22:45

pinkfloydthebarber
never seen that 'get stones' comp before. not released in canada?

also not much from let it bleed on it, is there?

Arcade was a German label. I'm not sure if it was released elsewhere in Europe outside the UK. It certainly wouldnt have been released in North America.

Was marketed as a 'greatest hits' collection and 'Let It Bleed' had no singles, which might explain why 'Gimme Shelter' is the lone selection from it, but thats a fair point!

The other TV advertised UK compilation from that era was the 'Story of the Stones' K-Tel release which came out around 1982-83. Again about 30 songs with only maybe about 4-5 songs different to 'Get Stoned'.

K-Tel and Arcade had quite a stranglehold between them on the TV-advertised album market in the UK for much of the 70s and early 80s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-14 22:48 by Gazza.

GRRR! - is it a hoax? And what's the reason for the name and the cover?
Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: September 14, 2012 12:59

I mean, we've had so many compilations. I've got the boxed 45 x 45s singles set, which I think is a beautiful piece of work, I have the 3 Decca singles boxed sets covering 63-65, 65-67, and 68-71 (really happy with these as well), we all have 40 Licks, and all sorts of other compilations of the best of everything that was ever done. All this leaves virtually no place for interest in yet another reconfiguration of what we overwhelmingly already have (and enjoy, I must say). It's just that yet ANOTHER huge compilation, 50th anniversary or whatever, doesn't press any buttons with me.

I'm leaving room in my expectations for this to be one big hoax. The logic of both the name of the cover escapes me. I'd be pleased to hear any explanations, because at this point, my skepticism level is high, and the marketing effort still has me at the ground floor. I'm registering doubt and disappointment rather than being uplifted by this strange name with an even more strange cover.

Is this the best that could be put up for the 50th, or is the real deal yet to emerge?

Re: GRRR! - is it a hoax? And what's the reason for the name and the cover?
Date: September 14, 2012 13:10

Simply a GRRReatest Hits-box set to celebrate the 50th anniversary.

At the same time, "we're have gotten/are getting lots of lovely things" (quoting Mick here):

Get Yer Ya Ya's with bonus material/Book/DVD
Ladies And Gentlemen DVD
Exile deLuxe
Exile documentary
Brussels Affair (different show than the bootleg we had) - now also on vinyl
Live In Texas album, vinyl/CD/DVD
Some Girls deLuxe
Hampton Coliseum
LA Friday
Live In Tokyo
Rolling Stones50 book
Art Exhibition with lots of unseen pics
Charlie Is My Darling DVD AND 2 cds from the Brian era
Another 2 Stones Archive-releases

+ supposedly shows and probably more releases to come...

We are we complaining?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-14 13:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home