Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 5, 2012 16:55

me no-likey

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: September 5, 2012 16:55

The album looks horrible. The website looks horrible. It's very sad.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 5, 2012 17:00

"We don't really want to put out anything, but you're all insisting and making us do it! It's so stupid!
I mean, what is the big deal about any number... Like 40 or 50 just because it ends with a zero?
It's so stupid! Sheesh... Grrrr...."

Date: September 5, 2012 17:08

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 5, 2012 17:18

De gustibus non est disputandum. However, I like the art design. Besides the fact that it is funny, striking and very effective it conveys perceived core values (false or not) of the group such as irreverence, atavism and unpretentiousness. Tacky, it's not. If you want tackiness - take a look at "A Bigger Bang". Bad graphic design it's not. If you want bad graphic design - take a look at "Steel Wheels". Remember, it's only a compilation album, nothing else. Would you have preferred the, boring, 50 licks logo instead?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 5, 2012 17:20

They should have called it WAAA!!, because no matter what they called it, thats what people would do.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 5, 2012 17:21

stonesnow
MightyStonesStillRolling50, are you listening? Good, then that means Mick is, too! So, there's still a chance to change the cover art/title concept before the release date. New title: 50 Monkeys To A Man, which is perfect! It references the number of tracks and the anniversary year, plus one of the great tracks from their classic era. Instead of the goofy-looking, vaguely reptilian gorilla, just put a monkey's head on the cover--but make it a hologram, so that when you turn the album/CD this way and that you see various monkeyfied busts of different Stones (hell, yeah, including Brian, Ian, Mick T, and Bill, since it is covering their full recording history). What do you think, MSSR50--or more to the point, what does Mick think? I suggest you get on the speed dial and run this past Mick in a hurry. Don't worry, I won't need any credit or royalties for my concept. All rights and permissions are theirs. Now, hurry, time's a wastin'--it won't wait for no one, y' know...

Thanks!

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: September 5, 2012 17:28

I would have preferred an annotated boxed set incorporating their best songs (all of the hits and a judicious selection of some of their greatest songs that were never released as as singles). Throw in dozen or so rarities and a few alternate versions then top it all off with the Brussels Affair concert and you've got a halfway decent package.

40 Licks was fine for what it was, but the 50th deserves something better.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 5, 2012 17:35

The Rolling Stones' logo is among the most recognizable in the world, and they've been trashing it in printed media for years, sad to say. A "logo" shouldn't be a distinct entity, not a "thing" in a picture.

Sure, it's okay to have fun with your symbol -- think of Google ) logos like this -- are so crucial to a "brand name". But...

It's funny (or not!) when a bored fan like me does it... Another thing completely for the band to authorize it themselves.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: September 5, 2012 17:36

Stoneage
De gustibus non est disputandum. However, I like the art design. Besides the fact that it is funny, striking and very effective it conveys perceived core values (false or not) of the group such as irreverence, atavism and unpretentiousness. Tacky, it's not. If you want tackiness - take a look at "A Bigger Bang". Bad graphic design it's not. If you want bad graphic design - take a look at "Steel Wheels". Remember, it's only a compilation album, nothing else. Would you have preferred the, boring, 50 licks logo instead?

Spot on!
However I like the "tackiness" of ABB.

For me the title GRRR! is absolute genius. The Gorilla... Well I think I'll get used to it soon.
Another compilation... Yes it's a bit of a letdown (if it's not followed by a new album) but understandably.
Just 2 new tracks... That's bad.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: September 5, 2012 17:39

"Grrr is an onomatopoeic word which imitates the growling sound of predatory
animals. It is one of the rare pronounceable words of the English language
that consists solely of consonants, and is a favorite word of young children."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-05 17:47 by superrevvy.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: September 5, 2012 17:44

"Grrr is the most used word by under-30s that is also amongst the least used
by those over 45"

Date: September 5, 2012 17:48

Max'sKansasCity
GRRR

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 5, 2012 17:49

In the beginning of the year Jagger said something within the meaning of that we will be tired of the Stones at the end of the year after getting all the nice gifts. We need not wait until the end of the year. Most of us are tired of the band already now!

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: September 5, 2012 17:55

What a tough thread - hardcorefans can´t be satisfied in any way ....tongue sticking out smiley

Date: September 5, 2012 17:57

Most of us are tired of the band already now!

Really? ... maybe the "us"(of you) with 15 second attention spans are.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 5, 2012 17:59

Only two days and already 20 pages full of reactions on THE news ... Yes, they did it again! Good or bad ... the world knows we're still around.
Even on the "teletekst" it was announced that the Stones were going to release a "greatest hits" album. I can't recall this to have ever happened before ... it's only a(nother) "greatest hits" collection for goodness sake.
Love your Stones for what they are: UNIQUE and a precious gift to the real fan!

Date: September 5, 2012 18:12

Anyone actually tried the uView app on the current coverpicture of their facebook page? The gorilla comes alive in a little 3D animation.

This is probably the most stupid thing I've ever seen. What's happening!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-05 18:13 by DiscoVolante.

Posted by: MickRichards ()
Date: September 5, 2012 18:16

Sorry but this is not a GIFT. If this is what you call exciting I think I'll pass. Same old song rehash over and over again. Two new numbers. It will probably flop. I can't really think of who they are trying to appeal to with this regurgitated mess. Someone has really dropped the ball here or has completely lost touch with thier true fans.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 5, 2012 18:41

muenke
What a tough thread - hardcorefans can´t be satisfied in any way ....tongue sticking out smiley

I was satisfied with LA Friday...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 5, 2012 18:44

I too loved LA Friday and Live in Texas but I am a bit peeved about this if it is what I thing it is. GRRR. My expectations of what these guys can actually give to me has gone way way down.

Time for some Los Lonley Boys , or something...peace

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 5, 2012 18:49

Stoneage

Well put. thumbs up

At least the design is not boring like on 40 Licks or Jump Back!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 5, 2012 18:51

Naturalust
I too loved LA Friday and Live in Texas but I am a bit peeved about this if it is what I thing it is. GRRR. My expectations of what these guys can actually give to me has gone way way down.

I keep telling ya'll you're supposed to have No Expectations...

Date: September 5, 2012 18:58

Man, it is too bad that The Stones didnt have all these experts on board to advise them throughout their career, or they might have been a successful band.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 5, 2012 19:01

Max'sKansasCity
Man, it is too bad that The Stones didnt have all these experts on board to advise them throughout their career, or they might have been a successful band.

Tongue and cheek, i have to say you hit the nail on the head. I finally agree with you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-05 19:01 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: September 5, 2012 19:05

More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity

Tongue and cheek, i have to say you hit the nail on the head. I finally agree with you.

Oh no, this cant be a good thing... is it too late to change what I said?

winking smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 5, 2012 19:08

georgie48
Only two days and already 20 pages full of reactions on THE news ... Yes, they did it again! Good or bad ... the world knows we're still around.
Even on the "teletekst" it was announced that the Stones were going to release a "greatest hits" album. I can't recall this to have ever happened before ... it's only a(nother) "greatest hits" collection for goodness sake.
Love your Stones for what they are: UNIQUE and a precious gift to the real fan!

Yeah the blimp ride, press conference televised worldwide by satellite and simultaneous announcement of Forty Licks got NO media coverage at all!

Date: September 5, 2012 19:11

I love that blimp...

It still flys in home

edit-
well a smaller version of it... not the actaul blimp, because you know, the actual blimp would not fit... plus my ceilings are not that high.... not saying my ceiling are not high, cuz they are.... they are just not high enough for the actual blimp.... but a small version of it flys perfecty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-05 19:13 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 5, 2012 19:12

Naturalust

I too love these vault releases but it be great if they could make us some hard copy versions with artwork, etc.. I guess it is a profitability factor vs. cost. Yet I think it could be done on consignment; that is, we pre-order and they build it. The Stones make some money and we get cool hard copy concert releases.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 5, 2012 19:38

There´s a lot of complaining on here about this album, people slating the Stones. I´m not planning on buying this (just downloading the 2 new tracks), but then it´s not for us, it´s for people who dont have a Stones greatest hits and want to get into them.

For us this last 2 years they have given us Brussels, LA, HAmpton, Tokyo, Texas, plus the Exile and Some Girls expanded editions.

Who´d´ve imagined that 3 years ago?

So I say good luck to the band in getting some new (younger) fans with Grrr and it´s cover which seems to offend most of the oldsters on this board, and THANK YOU for giving us all the deep treasures (and can we have some more, please?!)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home