Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: who went to see The Rolling Stones in Concert 1981?
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 10, 2012 10:19

mickschix
I went to that opening gig at JFK Stadium, Philly and although they were sloppy in parts, it wasn't as bad as some say. At least the crowd was better behaved and it was a warm sunny Sept day. I ate ice cones and enjoyed it quite a lot. Mick got up in the cherry picker right over my head, and I love Tatoo You so all in all, it was a great day.
I saw them later on that same '81 tour in Nov in Hartford, Garland Jefferies opened ( WHO?) and they were quite a bit tighter and the sound was awesome. That old Hartford Civic Center was a wonderful venue for the Stones. Sonny Rollins was the guest sax player, what a treat on " Waiting On A Friend"!!

I awasnt there but I heard a boot and I love it. Mick sang great.

Date: October 10, 2012 10:22

Is that Ian (on keyboards) on the intro? And Bill is so good, so f-in great.

Date: October 10, 2012 10:28

Was 81 Keith's best tour?

Date: October 10, 2012 10:28

But Let it bleed? wtf? And then Ian takes charge and as a comment to the mess Keith has his say with the custom 72. But who messed up? Mick or Ronnie? Keith? Sounds more like Keith actually.

Date: October 10, 2012 10:35

"We've got Ronnie listen to the radio" Mick introducing Ronnie at Philly. I guess Keith had that fight with Ronnie sometime after this?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 10, 2012 11:51

mickschix
Sonny Rollins was the guest sax player, what a treat on " Waiting On A Friend"!!

Ernie Watts was on sax for both Hartford gigs, Sonny Rollins has never performed live with the Stones.

Mathijs

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 10, 2012 17:26

Redhotcarpet
But Let it bleed? wtf? And then Ian takes charge and as a comment to the mess Keith has his say with the custom 72. But who messed up? Mick or Ronnie? Keith? Sounds more like Keith actually.

something you should know by now...when one of the guitarists messes up, even if it's keith's fault...it's ronnie's fault.

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: October 11, 2012 01:48

New Orleans Louisiana Superdome had 87,500 people broke a record that year.

So awesome to see Mick run up and down those long runways and the cherry picker to. It was my first Stones concert and was awesome to.. October 5, 1981... A great day to remember ...

drummer_dude

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 12, 2012 06:39

Could have done without the cherry picker!!!

Posted by: gilles ()
Date: October 12, 2012 13:58

HalfNanker
my opening band was sreaming jay hawkins...didnt even know who he was at the time.

oh yeah... Screaming Jay H...!!!

I put A Spell On You... many covers from CCR (very good), Nina Simone (oh yeah...),,..
Jeff Beck!!! recently
Every picky music lover knows SJH inspired a good bunch of artists like Alice Cooper,...
Serge Gainsbourg was one of his friend...

[www.google.com]

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: October 12, 2012 14:48

Buffalo Sept 27th 1981....My first show...We left from Toronto on a bus and landed at orchard park...What a day....the weather was awful until GT came out and opened up the skies....I remember there was a wire that went across the stadium and some guy was trying to play the highwire act...sound was ok, but the wind was really stong. A lasting memory as it was the first of roughly 165 shows since then...Silver dome was next on Nov 30th and it was game on. Can't wait to see them again

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 12, 2012 15:32

Redhotcarpet

Thanks for that.

That's the first time I've ever heard it -- besides when I was there over 30 years ago. The playing does sound pretty sloppy, but not quite as bad as I remembered (IMO). Except for the Let It Bleed trainwreck...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 12, 2012 16:02

Embarassing tour. Coked up, sped up hyper playing. Lame, Lame set list. Lousy stage and set. Jagger at his worst. Cherry pickers and dancing girls. If they ever did a show like this today they would be the most embarassing act in the history of R n R. It was a joke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-12 17:52 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: October 12, 2012 17:47

I was at Philly show and ditto all comments stated here by those who were at the show, but I do remember a warm beautiful day and I had an excellent view of stage, and if they did seem sloppy it was made up by the enthusiasm of the crowd. The cherrypicker was something not seen before either.. I was also at the Philly 78 show in another stadium in the nosebleed section with horrific sound so this was a great improvement..
I saw the Meadowlands show that Nov as well, I remember the circulating stage, but dont recall that it was an especially outstanding show, but I'll see TRS any time any way..for me they are always special.
RB

Posted by: nico one ()
Date: October 12, 2012 18:25

Seen them in 1982 in Europe but that was almost the same show as the US 1981 tour with the J Geils Band as Support , was hot and awesome

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 12, 2012 21:54

Philly was indeed charming if only because it was like sneaking a peak behind the scenes, seeing Mick telling Ron he needed to switch keys! Mick's voice was great, the rest of the show was not what you might call stellar, but it was a really cool vibe.
Oh, and Sonny Rollins played on the Studio version of " Waiting On A Friend" so I always say it was him LIVE but it WAS Ernie Watts at my Hartford show. Doesn't matter, the sound of that sax drifting out over the crowd was a beautiful thing!

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 12, 2012 22:03

More Hot Rocks
Embarassing tour. Coked up, sped up hyper playing. Lame, Lame set list. Lousy stage and set. Jagger at his worst. Cherry pickers and dancing girls. If they ever did a show like this today they would be the most embarassing act in the history of R n R. It was a joke.

Guess you didn't go to any of those shows

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: October 13, 2012 01:42

doster
Saw them at Richfield Coliseum (now defunct), with Etta James opening.
Can't remember much about the music, just Mick in that cherry picker.
It was a fun night.

I was there as well, flew up from Birmingham, Alabama to see them. Great show, no doubt about it.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 13, 2012 13:46

My first show was the opening September 25 in Philly. Was about 20 feet from the stage. I was also lucky enough to see them 3rd row on November 9th, the first show in Hartford.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 13, 2012 16:15

1982 the same Tour in EUROPE.
I did see 2 concerts during that Tour.

GEORGE THOREGOOD AND THE DESTROYERS

THE J.GEILS BAND

THE ROLLING STONES

The Bands were Rocking the sh#t out of this stadium and when The Stones played the whole stadium was moving way up to the Concrete Top-Ring, where Thousands were jumping on their chairs...It Was A Strange Experience When The Tribune Moved Up And Down While The Stones Were Playing...

Date: October 13, 2012 16:26

drummer_dude

So awesome to see Mick run up and down those long runways and the cherry picker to. It was my first Stones concert and was awesome to.. October 5, 1981... A great day to remember ...

drummer_dude

I was at that show too. Like Mick & Keith have said about the BA shows where the crowd is the show, I found the whole weekend in NO was insane. The city was rockin around that concert.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 13, 2012 16:38

rotterdam 1982.
great great concerts.
Loved them

The 02 will , hopefully, be my 26 time since 1976 to catch them live
jeroen

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 14, 2012 01:08

Palace Revolution 2000
drummer_dude

drummer_dude

I was at that show too. Like Mick & Keith have said about the BA shows where the crowd is the show, I found the whole weekend in NO was insane. The city was rockin around that concert.

It was the same in San Fran.
The news was covering the shows like a presidential debate.
We got to hear every aspect, and driving into the stadium parking there was everything you could imagine for sale...

Even then we got frisked...

Damn that was fun

Date: October 14, 2012 01:20

Munichhilton
Palace Revolution 2000
drummer_dude

drummer_dude

We got to hear every aspect, and driving into the stadium parking there was everything you could imagine for sale...

Damn that was fun

yeah? you don't strike me as the ticklish type

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 14, 2012 01:24

StonesTod
Munichhilton
Palace Revolution 2000
drummer_dude

drummer_dude

Damn that was fun

Hey, She Was Hot....

Date: October 14, 2012 01:28

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
Palace Revolution 2000
drummer_dude

drummer_dude

Damn that was fun

Hey, She Was Hot....

hmmmmm...that wasn't until the '83 undercover tour...she was still cold in '81

Posted by: RRMan03 ()
Date: October 14, 2012 01:41

It was about my 20th show by then I guess. Saw them in the LA Coliseuim. It was a hot fall afternoon and it was packed to the top of the stadium. and yes they blew the place apart. Have seen a lot of Stones shows and have never not seen a good show.They bring all they have wheather it is good or bad to each show.Technology has helped all bands get much better sound wise than back in the 60,70 80 era.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: October 14, 2012 01:52

My sister and I were able to sneak into The Rosemont for one of their shows. In '75, about a month before the Milw. show, my sister, as a passenger, was in a car accident that left her paralyzed and, of course, unable to go to the show. In '78, she was in Chicago, but was at the Rehab. Institute and, again, unable to go. !981 and she was determined to go. She enlisted me to drive to Chicago and hope we could score scalper tix. As I pushed her wheelchair around the arena, chances of getting tix was looking slim. As we were going past a back entrance, what should pull up but a Rhab Inst. van with patients going to the show. My sister recognized several people and asked if we could wheel in with them. No problem - after we made it through the first set of doors, I froze. Fortunately, my sister started pulling on the wheels which made me move. Now we were inside, but we had no tix. Just before the lights went down, an usher came up. I figured we were busted, but she apologized for the lack of seating and put us on a rail and gave me a folding chair! What a great show. I never like YCAGWYW until that show. I know some people have a low opinion of this show, but I thought it was cleaner than either '75 or '78 and, of course, free rock is special.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 14, 2012 14:44

Unfortunately i was 5 years sad smiley
I have been told that their concert in Naples was fantastic
[www.rollingstonesitalia.com]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 14, 2012 15:03

mickscarey
More Hot Rocks

Guess you didn't go to any of those shows

I went to 3 of them. That was enough. I still laugh my butt off watching clips from 81. Let it Bleed and Time Is On My Side were the deep cuts live. LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-14 15:08 by More Hot Rocks.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2092
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home