Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: who went to see The Rolling Stones in Concert 1981?
Date: August 27, 2012 03:04

Saw the Oct.31st at the Cottonbowl in Dallas. Fabulous Thunderbirds and ZZTop opened. 6 of us went. Started the morning at 6am, the show started at noon. We all woke up, drank a few beers, did some valium and off we went. It rained all day. I remember bodyguards carried Mick up the stairs (so he wouldn't slip and fall). A great show. 70,000 people were there.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 27, 2012 03:15

11/10/81 - Hartford CT - the atmosphere and build up was incredible!! Again like the 1994 tour that Ijust posted about not my favorite tour to go back and listen to but for excitement and anticipation and the fact that it was my first real concert it can never be topped.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 27, 2012 07:18

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
My parents wouldn't let me cross the border to go see the Kingdome show.

Waaah!

They had to protect you... who knows what would have happened if you went, you might have grown up to be a huge Stones fan and wind up spending way too much posting on Rolling Stones message boards later in your life.

true, true...DOH!

Didja ever finally get to see RUSH? They're a national treasure...

I understand the appeal, and even have the album Moving Pictures.

With that said, I have absolutely no interest in ever seeing them.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 27, 2012 07:24

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers

Waaah!

They had to protect you... who knows what would have happened if you went, you might have grown up to be a huge Stones fan and wind up spending way too much posting on Rolling Stones message boards later in your life.

true, true...DOH!

How about "The Guess Who"?

Date: August 27, 2012 07:26

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers

Waaah!

true, true...DOH!

Now that I could get in to.

Date: August 27, 2012 07:33

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers

Waaah!

true, true...DOH!

10 or so years ago we flew up to see them playt at some smallish hall in Barrie. It was the original band reunited, playig only shows in Canada... and they played everything... It was great, I am glad we did that.

Date: August 27, 2012 07:35

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers

Waaah!

true, true...DOH!

10 or so years ago we flew up to see them playt at some smallish hall in Barrie. It was the original band reunited, playig only shows in Canada... and they played everything... It was great, I am glad we did that.

Never had the opportunity, so you are fortunate!

Date: August 27, 2012 07:40

treaclefingers
Never had the opportunity, so you are fortunate!

Yes, I am fortunate and thankful to my good ole Canucklehead buudy who lives up there in the great white North... he told me about the show and ordered us to not miss it... so we didnt under the rule- "Get it while the geting is good"... Man... The Guess Who have soooooo many songs.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 27, 2012 16:08

Yes, saw them in St. Louis, my very first Stones show.

And the only one of the bunch I haven't got any sort of recording from (audio, video), so if anyone knows of such existing I would be very grateful for getting a copy!

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 27, 2012 23:10

I went to two shows. A suburb of Boston and NY. The sound was good but I recall thinking that after a while, I was getting bored of watching Mick jog. His outfits were lame too.

In Boston, KR was wasted. Had to sit down for a few numbers.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: August 28, 2012 03:48

So, NOBODY on this list attended the Dec 14, 1981 Kansas City show ?

The infamous Mick Taylor night of the tour...

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: August 28, 2012 07:13

I went to three shows.
L.A. Coliseum Oct. 9 and 11 1981, and ASU Sun Devil Stadium Dec. 13.

Date: August 28, 2012 08:28

gripweed
So, NOBODY on this list attended the Dec 14, 1981 Kansas City show ?

The infamous Mick Taylor night of the tour...

I went down there... money in hand to buy tickets... and there were'nt any
(there were some for $200 each, but that is like paying $1000-2000 today).

To this day it is the ONLY time in my many years of buying tickets outside that I was shut out. A 1/2 hour after show started we admitted defeat and reloaded for the next day. I worked hard on obtaining 2 tickets during the next day. I wound up paying triple face value ($50 each for $17.00 tickets)(and when I was at the guys house buying the tickets his phone rang twice with people (saying)trying they would out bid me) I said "BIRD IN THE HAND!" , shoved the money($100)in his hand took the tickets and gtfot.

So we went the second night. The seats were not that good.. so We rolled around the whole arena during the show... which can be a fun way to go (this was my home turf so I knew how it worked... how to dodge security... where to stand with a good view without pissing people off etc etc)... we saw the show from all angles (and lol, at one point, we even saw Ronnie and Keith run over and snort something off a table on stage right)... we were all rocking and rolling... it was a blast...

I was just waiting for the right moment... then like clockwork (as usual for back then) the security left the floor with 2 songs to go and (as usual) the crowd went wild and everyone surged forward (as we lead the charge) to the front row... we wound up front row in front of Keith for the last 4 songs(2 plus the encores)... I took this picture up there...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-28 08:46 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: August 28, 2012 10:24

CousinC
82 . .
The Frankfurt indoor shows were interesting.

Those were the only indoor shows besides the arena tour in Scotland and the 100 club during 82 in Europe. The stage was totally open and basic and very good lightning. I was first row all three nights, but the 2nd topped everything as Jagger came out with the US flag people went mad. 2nd night the audience was very very wild.
I took about 1000 color slides that tour. Besides Frankfurt, London was very good and the 2nd rainy show in Munich.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 28, 2012 16:19

ab
I saw the opening night shows at Madison Square Garden in New York (November 12) and the Capital Centre in Landover, Maryland (December 7). They were both solid shows, with the Garden one being a notch better. The set lists were identical. Screaming Jay Hawkins opened at the Garden, Bobby Womack at the Cap Centre. The wait for the Stones seemed interminable, and the Stones seemed more friendly than threatening.

As a matter of interest is it possible to estimate the waiting time after the support act? An hour? More? Thanks!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 28, 2012 16:23

Max'sKansasCity
I took this picture up there...

Awesome shot...definitely during Jumpin Jack Flash.
My absolute favorite part of all 1981 shows...

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: August 28, 2012 18:20

I saw Denver, Vegas & Salt Lake. In Denver, due to luck and pluck, I got to see the sound check from the 5th row of a nearly empty stadium. One of my Stones highlights. Vegas was my 9th show but 1st time not in a stadium. To see the Stones in a relatively small arena was incredibly amazing and exciting. It felt like I was seeing them in the early 70's. Saw a lot of celebs there as well. I've seen them at MGM in Vegas once every tour since. And saw 'em at The Joint in '02 as well (that's another story). Salt Lake was a dream come true. I was a freshman at the University of Utah in '81 when some friends and I drove over 500 miles all thru the night to see our 1st two Stones shows in Boulder. To see them in my home stadium was literally a dream and a wish come true. Loved the Voodoo Lounge tour.

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: August 28, 2012 18:22

Oops, sorry wrong thread. You know the one I meant.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 28, 2012 18:31

rebelrebel

As a matter of interest is it possible to estimate the waiting time after the support act? An hour? More? Thanks!

Seemed like an eternity at the time, but I seem to remember the Stones hitting the stage around 10 and playing until around midnight in St. Louis. The support act hit the stage maybe 1/2 hour after the time on the ticket (which I can't remember what that time was).

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 28, 2012 20:35

I saw the first night at Pontiac (Detroit) with a lifelong buddy and two girls I can't remember. People thought Iggy was getting booed in his hometown but getting booed and having sh-t thrown at him is how Detroit audiences and Iggy relate and have '68.

Santana turned in a great set and the "punters" (as you Brits would call) them all said he blew the Stones off.

The Stones were great though Jagger was said to have been under-the-weather the next night ("/Dee-troit was smokey gray / Nothing like the good old days / And I got this fever that I'm fighting). You can't tell on the KBFH recording though.

Date: August 28, 2012 20:51

Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
I took this picture up there...

Awesome shot...definitely during Jumpin Jack Flash.
My absolute favorite part of all 1981 shows...

Thank you smiling smiley

And YES... You are correct Sir! and to this very second I can still perfectly visualize looking up at them singing that part.... the repeating "Jumping Jack Flash" lyric.... It was/is awesome.

btw- I skipped that part about how I used up my last 3 frames of 35 mm film to capture 3 spectacular pictures of the awesome "brotherly moment" between Ronnie and Keith... and for the moment I was happy as could be.... until.... the balloons fell... and the explosion of color was off the hook... and Jagger came running out in his flag cape.... and I was out of film....

I made a new rule right then.... "Always go home with at least 3 shots left over". (of course it is not as big a deal these days where we are limited to 2556 pictures per 2 gig memory card winking smiley... BUT when the balloons fell, adn I was out of film... I was totally thrilled and totally bummed at the same time..... But the totally thrilled took over.... fk we were front row Stones and they were roaring (this was the show right before Hampton and they were smokin)... was awesome... and later in life I obtained plenty of surrogate pictures of the balloons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-28 20:56 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 28, 2012 21:14

I was just checking my memory and
here are a couple of setlists from 1981

Boulder Oct 4th 1981 [www.setlist.fm]

1 Under My Thumb
When the Whip Comes Down
Let's Spend the Night Together
Shattered
Neighbours
6 Black Limousine
Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)
(The Temptations cover)
Twenty Flight Rock
(Eddie Cochran cover)
Let Me Go
Time Is on My Side
11 Beast of Burden
Waiting on a Friend
Let It Bleed
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Little T&A
16 Tumbling Dice
She's So Cold
All Down the Line
Hang Fire
Miss You
21 Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash
25 Street Fighting Man ......25 songs!

The whole show!

Kansas City Dec 15 1981 [www.setlist.fm]

1 Under My Thumb
When the Whip Comes Down
Let's Spend the Night Together
Shattered
Neighbours
6 Black Limousine
Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)
(The Temptations cover)
Twenty Flight Rock
(Eddie Cochran cover)
Going to a Go-Go
Let Me Go
11 Time Is on My Side
Beast of Burden
Waiting on a Friend
Let It Bleed
You Can't Always Get What You Want
16 Little T&A
Tumbling Dice
She's So Cold
Hang Fire
Miss You
21 Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash
25 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction .... 25 songs again!

Bunch of KC songs from the night before- [www.youtube.com]

JJF!

Balloons drop, crowd goes wild, Stones roll...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-28 21:36 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: August 28, 2012 21:19

barbequebob
Was at one of the MSG shows with Screamin Jay Hawkins.

I was stoned so maybe it was the weed, but I felt like they were carictature of a themsleves.
i couldnt tell from my seat halfway up in MSG, but i heard afterwards that Screamin JAy had a snake around his neck durung the performance...

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: August 28, 2012 21:55

I was at that show too! Up until Steel Wheels they stopped coming to Montreal after the 72 tour.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 29, 2012 12:47

Maybe inspired to revisit Under my thumb and the guitar doing the marimba/bass riff.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: August 29, 2012 18:06

Rosemont Horizon, 25 November. The opening was cool, with the stage revolving as the band got into 'Under My Thumb.' Honestly, don't remember too much else about this show. I think Mick was at his lamest during this tour--the football pants, and all that.

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: August 29, 2012 18:34

Went to the Rockford, IL show and Cedar Falls, Iowa show. There was a lot of excitement in both places. Rockford because it's a small town and the show was in a small/medium sized arena. Cedar Falls because that's the first time they played in Iowa. The whole state was excited and the Stones were written up on the front page of the Des Moines Register the following day. I recall the Go Go's (Rockford), Stray Cats and George Thorogood as opening bands. For me the coolest part was the opening of Under My Thumb. I sat just to the side above Bill Wyman at Rockford in the VIP section until I got kicked out, then moved to my assigned seat. Ceder Falls was more of a free for all with the festival seating on the floor.

Posted by: kitoise ()
Date: August 29, 2012 18:55

Hello!

To all IORR friends who saw the Stones in '81, can you post pictures/scans of the cover of local daily papers with reports?
Thanks in advance!!

Chris

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 29, 2012 19:04

nomis
Went to the Rockford, IL show and Cedar Falls, Iowa show. There was a lot of excitement in both places. Rockford because it's a small town and the show was in a small/medium sized arena. Cedar Falls because that's the first time they played in Iowa. The whole state was excited and the Stones were written up on the front page of the Des Moines Register the following day. I recall the Go Go's (Rockford), Stray Cats and George Thorogood as opening bands. For me the coolest part was the opening of Under My Thumb. I sat just to the side above Bill Wyman at Rockford in the VIP section until I got kicked out, then moved to my assigned seat. Ceder Falls was more of a free for all with the festival seating on the floor.

rockford proved you can in fact petition the stones with prayer...petition the stones with prayer...petition the stones with prayer...

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 29, 2012 19:31

Did the two shows in Boulder and the Silverdome gig. Boulder was a fun weekend indeed.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1353
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home