Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: who went to see The Rolling Stones in Concert 1981?
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 18, 2012 21:30

I saw the Carrier Dome show in '81 too (8th row - cherry picker went right over our heads!). Also saw the '81 Hartford Civic Center show (still one of the best I've seen), and my 1st time seing them was the Phili opener (Journey - ugh - and G. Thorogood as openers).

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: December 18, 2012 21:54

St James Park Newcastle on tyne 1982.

It was the middle of summer but freezing cold.

Great show though.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 18, 2012 22:04

I saw them in '81 at the Checkerdome in St. Louis, my second Stones show. Honesty and unfortunately I was so wasted I can't remember much of it. I do remember that the sound wasn't that good from my seat and I spend much time trying to get a bit closer see what was happening on the stage. peace

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: December 18, 2012 22:32

I was at the Carrier Dome too ( Friday show). I was in the 9th row.The cherry picker went over us too. I think it was during JJF ( but I may be wrong) I have the stub of a friend of mine who went with me but has since passed away.His parents gave me a frame with many stubs to shows we attended.
Paid $40 for a ticket with a face value of $15/each. A few "cigarettes" were the clincher for the deal. we went out early from Boston on the Friday after Thanksgiving without tix and scalped them there. My first show.a truly memorable experience.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: December 18, 2012 22:33

I saw them at JFK.

Date: December 18, 2012 22:46

once at rice stadium buffalo, outdoor show (thorogood) and also at indoor show at detroit pontiac silverdome (santana)

Posted by: RocksOff714 ()
Date: December 18, 2012 22:49

I saw The Stones at The Hartfoed Civic Center . Paid $75.00 for a $15.00 face Ticket . Worth It of coarse . It was great to see them in a smaller venue as opposed to all the stadiums they did on that tour . Only thing better was 1975 . I won the tickets on the radio my first concert of anyone . Might as well begin with The Best . $7.50 face value . I miss The Bad Old Days .

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 19, 2012 01:41

Rich Stadium in Orchard Park NY, stood on the Keef side of the stage.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: December 19, 2012 03:49

I saw the Richfield shows with Etta James opening. It was my first time seeing the Stones inside, after seeing Stadium Shows in Cleveland in '75 and '78. I had tickets for the Pontiac Silverdome shows with Iggy and Santana, but when the Dead announced their late November/early December tour (Pittsburgh through Boulder) I was off on tour and sold my Pontiac Tickets

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-19 04:04 by jabhead.

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: December 19, 2012 04:02

I saw them in Cedar Falls, IA in an indoor FB stadium.
The Stray Cats were the opening band.

I was probably sitting around the 50 yard line...maybe slightly farther from the stage, which was in one of the end zones. I remember having binoculars and we shared them...each person got them for one song. "Let It Bleed" was one of my songs for the binoculars.

I still have my shirt !!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: December 19, 2012 04:51

doster
Saw them at Richfield Coliseum (now defunct), with Etta James opening.
Can't remember much about the music, just Mick in that cherry picker.
It was a fun night.

I went to one of these shows as well, Etta was booed, looking back it was a crappy thing to do to a legend.

I don't remember much about it, other than it was a moderately warm autumn night. The stage was very brightly colored.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: December 19, 2012 05:06

New Orleans Superdome with the Neville Brothers and George Thorogood and the Destroyers, GREAT concert.....They rocked the house. Also was my first Stones show....

drummer_dude

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 19, 2012 05:13

Hartford CT 11/10/81 still to this day the most exciting show I;ve been to and probably the most poorly played. Brooklyn was a close second on excitement.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 19, 2012 05:24

1981, Los Angeles Coliseum - both shows.

J. Geils Band - fantastic opener!!!
George Thoroughgood - decent opener!!
Prince - booed offstage!

First Stones shows ever for me, and still rank near the top of the heap.
Still have original dragon shirt, ticket stubs, and two of these that were given out free from local radio station KLOS:

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 19, 2012 18:33

Max'sKansasCity
mighty stork
I thought the Stones were great and managed to get my camera in and get some good pictures up front before being spotted by security and having to ease back into the crowd before the got to me.

FUNNY!!! Same thing happened to me... smiling smiley I snuck my 35 mm camera body in one sock and the zoom lens in the other sock... we had to pass by 3 entrances until we found an easy looking one.... we got in and hit the floor.... up close...

We were having a blast... I actually liked both Heart and George... Nancy was looking and sounding HOT!!... but they knew what the score was... Ann saying things like .... "OK OK, we know who you are here for, we'll be off in another couple of songs" or something like that... I laughed... and gained respect for them....

I lost track of the buddy whom I went to the show with somewhere up front on the floor... but I found 5,000 new best friends... what a party!! what a great day... great weather... I tried to stay up close.... rocking with The Stones... keeping an eye on the band and an eye on security who were scanning the crowd (for booze bottles and cameras) like a wayward sailor scanning the horizon for dry land.... I saw them run into the crowd pulling cameras and bottles like crazy...

I would move to a good spot, be having a lot of fun... see a good shot opportunity for a picture... pull up the camera... grab the shot... and then see a security gorilla pointing right at me... I would DIVE DIVE!! like a submarine dropping down below the crowd line.... Id start moving... put on (or take off) my hat and then surface 20 feet over... Id meet some more of my new friends, have a party and keep on rocking out.... then on one of my last moves, towards the end of the show, I surfaced right next to my buddy whom I went to the show with... had a blast... it was awesome.

As I have said many times... I would happily go back in time (to 1-2 week before that concert) and live my life over and over again... from September 15th 1981 to April 10th 2008... and I would not change a thing.

Here is one on my fav shots.... I bet you have a few that look just like this.

That shot reminds me of the Peter Max paintings of Mick:

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home