Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 29
Re: OT - 2012 London Summer Olympics
Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: August 3, 2012 19:13

For the moment, Switzerland has no medal at all
Roger is the only hope for this country to have a medal.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 3, 2012 19:27

NOW, Switzerland has a medal! Congratulations!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 3, 2012 20:11

Max'sKansasCity
I wonder what some, who REALLY understand, think of the soccer/football being played at these Olympic games?

Fine by me, there are 4 Swansea players (my home town) playing for GB, it'll get them nicely warmed up for the football season here which starts in 2 weeks.cool smiley
(So long as they don't get injured of course, because then it'll be "Whose dumb idea was that?" ) ....angry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-03 20:30 by EddieByword.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 3, 2012 20:21

kleermaker
Max'sKansasCity
Eleanor Rigby
yyaaaaawwwn

You're playing a double game here. Hailing the OG on the one hand and crying out loud how sportive and entertaining and good for world peace etc.tc. they are, and on the other hand only positive attention for the US and criticizing others, like North Korea and China. Someone like you added Russia and Romania too (stupidguy if I remember well). Poor athletes there. But stars and happy in the US.

I don't like that double game. It's hypocrite. Pay some attention to the sport abuses and evils in your own country as well, because they do exist. It would make the comments on others a bit more credible. Otherwise, leave the negative info about other countries. Those double standards are really annoying.

Alternative: start a special 'GO USA in the OG'-thread. That would at least be honest.

In an effort to be critical and make people think (you did say it was more important than being nice, didn't you?) you may want to reread the comments of stupidguy2 as they were not criticizing the athletes from Russia and Romania but sympathizing for them.

Also the "double game" that you don't like is not "hypocrite", it is "hypocritical".

Another also… Back in May you posted in the Euro 2012 thread “Okay, I will end 'the other discussion'. But nationalism has to be limited to football only. Outside the football field we should be criticizing ourselves and our role in history more than anyone else, whether we are Polish, Dutch, German, Italian or whatever.

Of course Holland will win the cup Silver, because we're the greatest nation on earth

While your statement regarding “outside the football field” is very consistent with your posts here in the Olympic thread, would it be possible for you to allow that nationalism could be extended to include sports other than football as well? If not, I guess at least I can root for the US Women’s Football team without offense.

I honestly don’t think that a “Go USA in the OG” thread is necessary. Before long we’d have to have “Go Great Brittan” and “Go Holland” threads as well threads for the other nations and that would just clutter the board up with way to many OT threads. Maybe we could all agree to say something negative about either ourselves or our country before we posted a comment about the Olympics? For example: “Although the US Men’s team isn’t nearly good enough, I’m totally stoked that the US Women’s Football team has made it to the semi-finals! Go USA!”

Here’s hoping that your favorite team does well also! smileys with beer

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 3, 2012 20:27

I enjoy watching Olympic Women's Beach Volleyball

Date: August 3, 2012 20:28

EddieByword
Max'sKansasCity
I wonder what some, who REALLY understand, think of the soccer/football being played at these Olympic games?

Fine by me, there are 4 Swansea players (my home town) playing for GB, it'll get them nicely warmed up for the football season here which starts in 2 weeks.

I was actually looking for some commentary about the teams, their makeup, differences between WC play and Olympic play, things to look for in these gmaes... that kind of stuff.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 3, 2012 20:33

Eleanor Rigby
stupidguy2
Max'sKansasCity
Huge props to Michael Phelps for being the first swimmer to win earn gold in the same event in 3 Olympic games in a row by winning earning gold in the men's 200-meter individual medley in 1:54:27. It was proven how hard that feat is by it being attempted and failed 3 times before in these games.... and finally he did it last night... WOW!!! I know people have talked plenty about Michael Phelps, but he deserves it... this being his 4th Olympics and him earning more Medals than any other human in history... just amazing!!! As good as he is.. I do NOT consider Phelps to be the greatest Olympian/athlete ever... IMUHO I think that honor was earned by Mr Jim Thorpe, and still stands to this day. [en.wikipedia.org]

And it the city of London is doing an awesome job with these Olympics...
no news is good news regarding this.. no stories about... anything except the games.

GOOD TIMES!!

ps
And finally a BIG SHOUT OUT to the USA Golden girls!!
They have never lost an Olympic match yet WOW!!! Talented AND HOT!!!

I usually root for the underdog rather than the "superstar" athletes, but Phelps is a once-in-a-lifetime phenom, and sometimes greatness is hard to ignore. It was thrilling to watching him in 2008 and then last night - even when he's not at his 'peak'....he can just pull it out from somewhere. He has that hunger that all greats have. And its wonderful to watch. There is a reason Lochte couldn't do it....he's not Phelps, simple as that/
As for being the 'greatest Olympian' - that's subjective in many ways. But what he did was truly phenomenal. Athletes in every sport have their strengths in certain competitions....A few folks on ESPN pointed to Jesse Owens, some point to Carl Lewis, or a decathlon gold medalist....
but they would have had to dominate every single competition in their sport to do what Phelps did: Its not just the fact that swimming has more opportunities to medal, its that all those opportunities represent a different facet of the sport>
Lewis, Owens would have had to compete in virtually every race in track - and they didn't....that's like a baseball player being the best short stopper, pitcher, hitter, catcher etc....
I think people who downplay his achievements see swimming as just swimming back and forth....but there is so much more involved in each discipline.

[sportsillustrated.cnn.com]

Amazing.

this is funny...and typical American...you probably didnt realise.
you mention every person from the US in your Olympics summary about the greatest ever, and a "decathlon gold medalist" who happens to be the great Daley Thompson perhaps ??? haha...funny.

for everyone's information, DALEY THOMPSON won the Decathlon (the greatest sporting event in the world) twice in 2 Olympics, and in the meantime won numerous world records in that event...truly amazing.
He is from ENGLAND...not the US. There are other countries other than yourselves.

I mentioned an American because Lewis and Owens are the ones mentioned in this argument.
Typical English.
Of course its one of your athletes....
The decathlon is a bit overrated IMO.
These athletes are good at several different events, but not the greatest in one.
Others break records in each of these events...
In track, someone would have to run the 100,200,400,800, 1,500, 5,000, 10,0000 and the Marathon and dominate in every one to accomplish what Phelps did. Every stroke and discipline in swimming takes a different level, and preparation training....most athletes excel in one area of their sport.
Phelps dominated every one.
This whole argument is subjective, but brining nationalism into it asinine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-03 20:35 by stupidguy2.

Date: August 3, 2012 20:33

That shot put thow/toss/push thing is a helluva sport

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: August 3, 2012 20:37

7th British gold just there. Team GB absolutely dominating the cycling - the men's team pursuit 4 just smashed the world record again!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 3, 2012 20:48

Max'sKansasCity
EddieByword
Max'sKansasCity

Fine by me, there are 4 Swansea players (my home town) playing for GB, it'll get them nicely warmed up for the football season here which starts in 2 weeks.

I was actually looking for some commentary about the teams, their makeup, differences between WC play and Olympic play, things to look for in these gmaes... that kind of stuff.
I don't know much about the other teams but the GB team although it does have some really decent players doesn't have the top England players, Wayne Rooney et al.(not that he was at his best in the WC mind)
This GB team taken mostly from England and Wales imo wouldn't beat a full strength England team. But as I say it does have some top flight Premiership players in it so has every chance of winning a medal,
Also it does have Stuart "psycho" Pearce as manager - very... let's say passionate about his desire to win.....eye popping smiley
And they have Ryan Giggs as Captain who has played at the top level with Man Utd for 20 odd years, won everything at club level but never won anything at International level because he's Welsh and they have not qualified for the WC or Euros since 1958, so he'll be burning to do well and to cap it off a load of young bright sparks ultra keen to prove themselves and so create a demand for themselves on the domestic scene next season................so yes, GB are worth a few bob of anyones money to win something IMO.
Having said that,look what happened to Spain...................so.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-03 21:09 by EddieByword.

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: August 3, 2012 21:10

SoulPlunderer
7th British gold just there. Team GB absolutely dominating the cycling - the men's team pursuit 4 just smashed the world record again!

And new Victoria Pendleton lands gold no.8. Well done Vic!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 3, 2012 21:28

She was simply amazing!

Date: August 3, 2012 21:30

Max'sKansasCity

You mean Hand Golf? Yeah. Amazing stress that "sport" has.

Date: August 3, 2012 21:43

I am an American but I also consider myself to be a citizen of the world.
I don't necessarily root for a competitor because they are an American.
It is impressive to see any competitor with heart and stamina and talent.

At this moment on TV, I am rooting for Andy Murray. And I'm torn between rooting for the Spanish AND the French doubles players. To me, David Ferrer and Jo Tsonga are always worth watching.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 3, 2012 21:43

Max'sKansasCity

Thinking about shot put made me think of something I've seen elsewhere... Although it's not an Olympic sport, near my home we have something called "the Highland Games" and there is one event where the guys throw telephone poles. OK so they may not be actual telephone poles, but the coordination and brute strength required always makes me think of shot put and vise versa.

Sorry for interruption... We now return to our regularly scheduled Olympic discussion.

Peace
Mr DJA

Date: August 3, 2012 21:44

M Phelps, the greatest swimmer of all times ! huge congratulations !

Date: August 3, 2012 21:50

SoulPlunderer
SoulPlunderer

And new Victoria Pendleton lands gold no.8. Well done Vic!
and now UK in 3rd position !

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: August 3, 2012 22:15

It's amazing what these athletes do. I don't think I can even climb on top of the Pommel Horse let alone swing around on it for thirty seconds.

Date: August 3, 2012 22:18

EddieByword
Max'sKansasCity
EddieByword
Max'sKansasCity

I don't know much about the other teams but the GB team although it does have some really decent players doesn't have the top England players, Wayne Rooney et al.(not that he was at his best in the WC mind)
This GB team taken mostly from England and Wales imo wouldn't beat a full strength England team. But as I say it does have some top flight Premiership players in it so has every chance of winning a medal,
Also it does have Stuart "psycho" Pearce as manager - very... let's say passionate about his desire to win.....eye popping smiley
And they have Ryan Giggs as Captain who has played at the top level with Man Utd for 20 odd years, won everything at club level but never won anything at International level because he's Welsh and they have not qualified for the WC or Euros since 1958, so he'll be burning to do well and to cap it off a load of young bright sparks ultra keen to prove themselves and so create a demand for themselves on the domestic scene next season................so yes, GB are worth a few bob of anyones money to win something IMO.
Having said that,look what happened to Spain...................so.....

Thanks Eddie

Date: August 3, 2012 22:20

Max'sKansasCity
DandelionPowderman
Max'sKansasCity
and here comes track and field.....
RUNNING- a really great sport which ANYONE can do... no special equiment needed.

Except for one of the South African runners, who's using proteses. Very impressive to qualify for the 4x400 meters relay in the olympics!

VERY impressive!!! That man is a stud.... epitome of the Olympic spirit!!

I'm off to the Olympic Stadium tomorrow for some of the athletics heats - can't wait! And am looking forward to seeing Oscar Pistorius in action. I'm just hoping it doesn't rain :-(

Date: August 3, 2012 22:22

mr_dja
Max'sKansasCity

Thinking about shot put made me think of something I've seen elsewhere... Although it's not an Olympic sport, near my home we have something called "the Highland Games" and there is one event where the guys throw telephone poles. OK so they may not be actual telephone poles, but the coordination and brute strength required always makes me think of shot put and vise versa.

Sorry for interruption... We now return to our regularly scheduled Olympic discussion.

Peace
Mr DJA

No kidding about tossing those cabers... that is a knarly event...
Should be an Olympic medal sport.... HELL YEAH!!!

holy cow.. check this guy out....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-03 22:29 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 3, 2012 22:26

Beast

I'm off to the Olympic Stadium tomorrow for some of the athletics heats - can't wait! And am looking forward to seeing Oscar Pistorius in action. I'm just hoping it doesn't rain :-(

AWESOME FOR YOU for going!!!
If the Olympics were ever close by me I would do my best to go see something.

Take some pictures, and please give us a report of how it went.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 3, 2012 22:31

mr_dja
kleermaker
Max'sKansasCity
Eleanor Rigby
yyaaaaawwwn

You're playing a double game here. Hailing the OG on the one hand and crying out loud how sportive and entertaining and good for world peace etc.tc. they are, and on the other hand only positive attention for the US and criticizing others, like North Korea and China. Someone like you added Russia and Romania too (stupidguy if I remember well). Poor athletes there. But stars and happy in the US.

I don't like that double game. It's hypocrite. Pay some attention to the sport abuses and evils in your own country as well, because they do exist. It would make the comments on others a bit more credible. Otherwise, leave the negative info about other countries. Those double standards are really annoying.

Alternative: start a special 'GO USA in the OG'-thread. That would at least be honest.

In an effort to be critical and make people think (you did say it was more important than being nice, didn't you?) you may want to reread the comments of stupidguy2 as they were not criticizing the athletes from Russia and Romania but sympathizing for them.

Also the "double game" that you don't like is not "hypocrite", it is "hypocritical".

Another also… Back in May you posted in the Euro 2012 thread “Okay, I will end 'the other discussion'. But nationalism has to be limited to football only. Outside the football field we should be criticizing ourselves and our role in history more than anyone else, whether we are Polish, Dutch, German, Italian or whatever.

Of course Holland will win the cup Silver, because we're the greatest nation on earth

While your statement regarding “outside the football field” is very consistent with your posts here in the Olympic thread, would it be possible for you to allow that nationalism could be extended to include sports other than football as well? If not, I guess at least I can root for the US Women’s Football team without offense.

I honestly don’t think that a “Go USA in the OG” thread is necessary. Before long we’d have to have “Go Great Brittan” and “Go Holland” threads as well threads for the other nations and that would just clutter the board up with way to many OT threads. Maybe we could all agree to say something negative about either ourselves or our country before we posted a comment about the Olympics? For example: “Although the US Men’s team isn’t nearly good enough, I’m totally stoked that the US Women’s Football team has made it to the semi-finals! Go USA!”

Peace,
Mr DJA

Some of you Americans are really unbelievable. You are certainly one of them. The idea of self-mockery surely doesn't make ring any bell at all.

Was it a joke, to correct my spelling, though English isn't my mother tongue and you Americans never do reckon with that (apart from a few exceptions), because you're using American slang all the time, assuming the whole world communicates that way? Let me teach you something new then: there are some other languages in this world.

Btw: Good that you read my old posts. Learn from them, teach yourself some self-criticism and self-mockery. Use those posts in order to learn how to argue properly. You're a blessed and privileged man, having that possibility now. And never do spell offence as offense again. And Great Brittan isn't an existing country. Try Great Britain from now on.

Ps: Be thankful the language on this forum isn't Dutch. If so you would see all corners of the room, as we say here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-03 22:51 by kleermaker.

Date: August 3, 2012 22:35

Will do, Max!! Gotta say that even just seeing the Olympic torch relay was an unexpected thrill. The atmosphere was so buzzy there but at the events it seems incredible from the TV footage.

Date: August 3, 2012 22:39

stupidguy2
keefriffhard4life
i feel so bad for russian female gymnast aliya mustafina and i'm an american. she got a bronze but should have had the gold. she was the 2010 world champion and then tore her ACL (in the left knee i think) at the start of the 2011 season. she sat out all of 2011 after surgery for her ACL to heal. she trained just 8 months after that ACL tear and then was still able to get a bronze. she didn't do her hard vault that she did in 2010 (the announcers said probably due to conditioning and leg strength not being up to par). she fell off the balance beam and again dumbed down part of her floor exercise making it easier ( and again the announcers said probably due to conditioning and leg strength not being up to par). she also appeared slightly out of shape looking close to 10 pounds heavier than she did in 2010. to tear an ACL last year, fall off the beam, make you floor and vault routine easier for whatever reason and still get a bronze i have no doubt this girl would be holding a gold medal if she had never torn her ACL.

I know what you mean.Props to Gabby, but I have a soft spot for these Russians girls, And the Romanians. WHat about when the other girl started to cry....? That was heartbreaking to me. These girls don't get the glory or accolades or fame the Americans get, even when they win. They're pretty much a tool for the govt in many ways.....and their experience at Olympics can be pretty thankless.
And they're amazing athletes.
Just a little part of me roots for them.

first off i know you didn't say this but i want to say gabby earned that gold medal. i was point out that a really bad injury in 2011 robbed aliya mustafina of her chance to be at her peak and compete for a gold. all the elements she left out last night that she did in the 2010 world championships to me seemed like a lack of practice after her torn ACL. hopefully aliya mustafina will win a gold on the uneven bars.

second i felt horrible for silver medal russin gymnast victoria komova. not because gabby didn't earn the gold but because if you watch gymnastics victoria komova got screwed in 2011 from being the world champ.i remember even the NBC announcers in 2011 being confused and somewhat in awe that she wasn't the world champion. look at the margin she lost by:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-03 22:44 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: August 3, 2012 22:41

Beast
Will do, Max!! Gotta say that even just seeing the Olympic torch relay was an unexpected thrill. The atmosphere was so buzzy there but at the events it seems incredible from the TV footage.
Right on smiling smiley
I understand... Back when the Winter Olympics were in Salt Lake city, the torch came through Kansas City one day... and we went out and saw it get run by.... twice actually... we saw it... and then we drove to a bar where it would pass by about an hour later.... and we went out and saw it again, it was fun to see it.... and yes, unexpected thrilling.... cant explain why... but it was cool.

GAMES UPDATE-
The USA women just defeated China in water polo... what a great game.

Date: August 3, 2012 22:49

kleermaker
mr_dja
kleermaker
Max'sKansasCity
Eleanor Rigby
yyaaaaawwwn

Peace,
Mr DJA

Some of you Americans are really unbelievable. You are certainly one of them. The idea of self-mockery surely doesn't make ring any bell at all.

Was it a joke, to correct my spelling, though English isn't my mother tongue and you Americans never do reckon with that (apart from a few exceptions), because you're using American slang all the time, assuming the whole world communicates that way? Let me teach you something new then: there are some other languages in this world.

Btw: Good that you read my old posts. Learn from them, teach yourself some self-criticism and self-mockery. Use those posts in order to learn how to argue properly. You're a blessed and privileged man, having that possibility now. And never do spell offence as offense again. And Great Brittan isn't an existing country. Try Great Britain from now on.

Ps: Be thankful the language of this forum isn't Dutch. If so you would see all corners of the room, as we say here.

you poor poor sad person. I feel sorry for you. So insecure in yourself, so insecure in your country, so insecure that you feel obligated to tear others down. So sad.

YES WE HEARD YOU....We understand how much you hate the Olympics, so sad that you still feel obligated to keep posting / PISSING ON a thread where most other are having a good time. Just sad to see.

WHO GIVES A FK IF SOMEONE SAY GO USA!!! WHO CARES IF SOMEONE SAYS GO GREAT BRITAIN.... GO WHATEVER COUNTRRY.... LET PEOPLE HAVE FUN WITHOUT BEING SUCH A WHINEY LITTLE WHINER

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 3, 2012 22:55

Beast
I'm off to the Olympic Stadium tomorrow for some of the athletics heats

Wishing you a great time

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 3, 2012 22:59

Thank you Max. You said it all.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 3, 2012 23:02

Max'sKansasCity
WHO GIVES A FK IF SOMEONE SAY GO USA!!!

HUP HOLLAND HUP smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home