Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Mick Jagger: 'I don't think The Rolling Stones were 'stage ready' for The Olympics'
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 14, 2012 18:04

Keith is fine. Let him enjoy his old age without any pressure to be the young rock star musician he once was. If he wants to play he will and can. He probably was the last to think he'd be around in 2012 and be presuured to be nimble, creative and entertaining. He has given us all so much. Go back and listen to Let it Bleed if you have to but give it a f u ck i n g break. peace

Re: Mick Jagger: 'I don't think The Rolling Stones were 'stage ready' for The Olympics'
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 14, 2012 18:09

Eleanor Rigby
StonesTod
stonesnow
StonesTod
Eleanor Rigby
bv
The magic is when Keith hit the wrong chords and they do "If You Can't Rock Me" when the set list and Ronnie's gitar setup etc are all ready for "You Got Me Rocking" (Brisbane 2003).

you call that magic ? I call that a complete f**k up !!!

yes, for most bands. but when the stones screw up, it's glorious. that's one of the perks of being the world's greatest, you see...

There is even a bootleg CD devoted to their live screw ups: 13 Nervous Breakdowns

i wonder if they charge $500 for it ?
or if you get a useless Keith Richards pick as a bonus for when he doesn't hit a chord ?

it's on the archives list for upcoming download releases, too...

Don't forget to get a bottle of Rolling Stones wine to enjoy with that train wreck cd.

I hear the wine is a ten year old bottle of Beaujolais.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 14, 2012 18:11

Naturalust
Keith is fine. If he wants to play he will and can. give it a f u ck i n g break. peace

AMEN!!!

Good on you Tod...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 14, 2012 18:11

Long John Stoner
Someone should have pinned Jagger down and got him to say what specifically will make the Stones "stage ready" in his mind before they can do any kind of a show, much less the Olympics.

Many here keep mentioning Richards' age as the reason why he likely can't play well anymore but the Blues is littered with 60, 70, 80 sometimes even 90 year old players. He fancies himself a blues player and has always mentioned how old Mississippi Fred McDowell was and HE was still playing in his dotage. Well kids, Fred died at age 68, not all that old really, but old enough for Keith to mention him until well, this year. Because Keith turns 69 later this year. If it isn't age then, what is it? It's the elephant in the room, his health, and the absolute abuse he has put his body through over the decades. Whether it's falling out of a tree, resulting in brain surgery, sticking needles in his arm since the 60's, running God knows what up his nose for decades, drinking oceans of booze, or things we'd rather not think about, no amount rehearsals can reverse THAT, and I would imagine that's the root cause for not being "stage ready".

fair enough. but nothing that a hearty, healthy breakfast won't solve. it's the most important meal of the day and the key to rocknroll...

Date: July 14, 2012 18:13

Naturalust
Keith is fine. Let him enjoy his old age without any pressure to be the young rock star musician he once was. If he wants to play he will and can. He probably was the last to think he'd be around in 2012 and be presuured to be nimble, creative and entertaining. He has given us all so much. Go back and listen to Let it Bleed if you have to but give it a f u ck i n g break. peace

bv told you once and don't make him tell you twice to stop being so upset all of the time.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 14, 2012 19:31

StonesTod
Long John Stoner
Someone should have pinned Jagger down and got him to say what specifically will make the Stones "stage ready" in his mind before they can do any kind of a show, much less the Olympics.

Many here keep mentioning Richards' age as the reason why he likely can't play well anymore but the Blues is littered with 60, 70, 80 sometimes even 90 year old players. He fancies himself a blues player and has always mentioned how old Mississippi Fred McDowell was and HE was still playing in his dotage. Well kids, Fred died at age 68, not all that old really, but old enough for Keith to mention him until well, this year. Because Keith turns 69 later this year. If it isn't age then, what is it? It's the elephant in the room, his health, and the absolute abuse he has put his body through over the decades. Whether it's falling out of a tree, resulting in brain surgery, sticking needles in his arm since the 60's, running God knows what up his nose for decades, drinking oceans of booze, or things we'd rather not think about, no amount rehearsals can reverse THAT, and I would imagine that's the root cause for not being "stage ready".

fair enough. but nothing that a hearty, healthy breakfast won't solve. it's the most important meal of the day and the key to rocknroll...

Rock and Roll breakfasts are usually in the late afternoons, aren't they?

Date: July 14, 2012 19:36

Jagger should tour with the Foo Fighters. That lineup would do justice to the Stones catalog.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 14, 2012 19:36

rogue
It'll be the spectacle of Wyman and Taylor overshadowing Keith's monkey hands as the smokescreen this time.

Look, with all the crap Mick put up with over the years I am sure he let keith hang himslef this time with the band..."want to jam, Keith, sure I'll stop by once you get warmed up and Bill is there. Want to meet in NYC when I'm in town for SNL? Sure, Kieth, I've got a week or so to spend with the boys."

Come on. I think Mick's words are so close to the bone this time it's killing Keith. He was the only one wearing shades for the photo ops at Somerset House. Why? So he doesn't have to look the others in the eyes and admit he flamed out early and pissed off Jagger to the point that they have to play games about when they might play live.

Notice how Ronnie and Charlie have been out there being musicians?
Notice how Jagger has played the Grammys, the White House and SNL since ABB?
Notice how Wyman tours Europe and Taylor adds lead lines to Exile outtakes and tours often and plays with Ronnie from time to time?

Which Stone is the only one not playing live with any real gigs these last few years? Keith.

Being "not stage ready" for the Olympics ain't even half of it. Jagger was kind and said the band was not ready. Really? Ronnie, Charlie, Mick, Bill and Taylor could go on the road tomorrow.

I think Keith and his camp thought ABB was it. He was injured and it was time to build the KR legend with a book deal and prepare for a long retirement of Lemon tree farming on the back patio. Meanwhile, he puts out a book that pisses off Jagger and probably the rest of the band.

Talk about being your own worst enemy.

After reading this whole thread, this post rings truest for me.
While some fans, bless their dear little hearts, actually believe that Keith is still able to function as a musician, no amount of wishing or pixie dust can change that fact that Keith is finished as a player, therefore there will never be another live performance of the band again.

Now bring on the Jagger/Wood/Taylor/Watts tour!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: July 14, 2012 19:47

jamesfdouglas
rogue
It'll be the spectacle of Wyman and Taylor overshadowing Keith's monkey hands as the smokescreen this time.

Look, with all the crap Mick put up with over the years I am sure he let keith hang himslef this time with the band..."want to jam, Keith, sure I'll stop by once you get warmed up and Bill is there. Want to meet in NYC when I'm in town for SNL? Sure, Kieth, I've got a week or so to spend with the boys."

Come on. I think Mick's words are so close to the bone this time it's killing Keith. He was the only one wearing shades for the photo ops at Somerset House. Why? So he doesn't have to look the others in the eyes and admit he flamed out early and pissed off Jagger to the point that they have to play games about when they might play live.

Notice how Wyman tours Europe and Taylor adds lead lines to Exile outtakes and tours often and plays with Ronnie from time to time?

Which Stone is the only one not playing live with any real gigs these last few years? Keith.

Being "not stage ready" for the Olympics ain't even half of it. Jagger was kind and said the band was not ready. Really? Ronnie, Charlie, Mick, Bill and Taylor could go on the road tomorrow.

I think Keith and his camp thought ABB was it. He was injured and it was time to build the KR legend with a book deal and prepare for a long retirement of Lemon tree farming on the back patio. Meanwhile, he puts out a book that pisses off Jagger and probably the rest of the band.

While some fans, bless their dear little hearts, actually believe that Keith is still able to function as a musician, no amount of wishing or pixie dust can change that fact that Keith is finished as a player, therefore there will never be another live performance of the band again.

You can be so hurtful...

When Keith rips into Happy next year and it sounds fantastic, will you take it back or say 'yeah but'...

Date: July 14, 2012 20:27

Munichhilton
jamesfdouglas
rogue

You can be so hurtful...

When Keith rips into Happy next year and it sounds fantastic, will you take it back or say 'yeah but'...

you mean the happy song or the happy to be anywhere line? i still think he can deliver the line well....

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 14, 2012 20:32

StonesTod
Munichhilton
jamesfdouglas
rogue

You can be so hurtful...

you mean the happy song or the happy to be anywhere line? i still think he can deliver the line well....

he could deliver "you got the silver" as well...

Date: July 14, 2012 20:38

Just as long as the guitar plays...

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 14, 2012 20:46

Naturalust

thumbs up

Munichhilton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-14 20:47 by StonesTod.

StonesTod
Munichhilton

never understood that line. guitars can't play. they are inanimate objects. what they hell are they talking about?

Date: July 14, 2012 21:03

I think JamesFdouglas and rouge are correct despite my love for Keith. If there is a tour or shows it will be Blondie/or hidden guitar guy that will mask it all.

I think Keith should accept it and just strum an acoustic and Let a Sober Ron, MT, and Bill do the heavy lifting. The Stones would sound the best with that scenario.

Date: July 14, 2012 21:40

StonesTod
StonesTod
Munichhilton

never understood that line. guitars can't play. they are inanimate objects. what they hell are they talking about?

You one of those people who thinks guitars gently weep or something?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 14, 2012 21:59

jamesfdouglas
therefore there will never be another live performance of the band again.

Wait, so Mick was lying when he said that they were all performing in the autumn? I'm confused.

Date: July 14, 2012 22:05

Munichhilton
StonesTod
StonesTod
Munichhilton

You one of those people who thinks guitars gently weep or something?

teardrop guitars do

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: July 14, 2012 23:04

This is enough so far:

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 14, 2012 23:10

Can we blame the bad weather on the Stones? I though that was decided on by Nato or EU or Obama or the Queen or ...

Please show some decency when posting or I have to close this thread. We all know the Stones are not a James Bond themes band. They did Superbowl. Fine. But really, those acts are not their cup of tea, really.

Bjornulf

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 15, 2012 00:43

Munichhilton
jamesfdouglas
rogue

You can be so hurtful...

Munich, if that happens I will take back.
I'm not happy about Keith's state at all, he was my hero and inspiration for years. Almost as much as Mick Jagger.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 23, 2012 01:38

VT22
This is enough so far:

listening to that just reinforces how great a performer Jagger is....he's still got it.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 23, 2012 05:26

proudmary
Mick Jagger: 'I don't think The Rolling Stones were 'stage ready' for The Olympics'

The Who's performance is going to be lip-synched and mimed to a pre-recorded track. Not sure how "stage ready" you need to be to do that.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 23, 2012 05:58

tatters
proudmary
Mick Jagger: 'I don't think The Rolling Stones were 'stage ready' for The Olympics'

The Who's performance is going to be lip-synched and mimed to a pre-recorded track. Not sure how "stage ready" you need to be to do that.

Yes, I was disappointed when I heard that. It's like the Olympics are going for the Top Of The Pops approach. But when was the last time the Stones lip-synched on TV? Probably not since the last time they appeared on TOTP. Usually, these days you only mime in promo vids. Jagger defended the TV miming thing in a contemporary interview from the mid-60s, saying that it took a lot less rehearsal time production-wise and therefore that it made sense. But IMHO, what's the point? You may as well just show up with plastic toy guitars if everyone knows you're miming.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 23, 2012 06:40

Beast
Needless to say, all this speculation and over-analysis is useless and will change nothing. What will be will be, but what is sure that Keith Richards will be slagged off on here from the first note he next plays with the Stones, whether it's good, bad or plain indifferent. As for why he hasn't played with the Winos, at the Iridium or wherever, he's under no obligation to deliver anything and what he does or doesn't do is his own business. Some would say he's already given satisfaction to last more than a lifetime.

Richards has indeed delivered something. He delivered hundreds of pages in a book saying all sorts of things, interesting or not, good bad or indifferent. He charged for it, and many of us bought it. He continues to say things to the press as he pleases, which in turn are meant to be consumed by whoever reads/watches/hears about it. He's under no obligation to do any of that of course. He says he would like to get the Stones on the road again.

Speculation and analysis of all the above by those "who give a shit", (to borrow from Keith), are the logical conclusions a rational person would expect. Accurate or inaccurate, whatever the reality of a situation is, it will not change that, I agree, but it facilitates understanding and leads ultimately to consensus or maybe in a case like this, to a polarity of interpretation. But Keith didn't exactly say "i vant to be left alone"

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 23, 2012 08:24

SweetThing
Beast
Needless to say, all this speculation and over-analysis is useless and will change nothing. What will be will be, but what is sure that Keith Richards will be slagged off on here from the first note he next plays with the Stones, whether it's good, bad or plain indifferent. As for why he hasn't played with the Winos, at the Iridium or wherever, he's under no obligation to deliver anything and what he does or doesn't do is his own business. Some would say he's already given satisfaction to last more than a lifetime.

Richards has indeed delivered something. He delivered hundreds of pages in a book saying all sorts of things, interesting or not, good bad or indifferent. He charged for it, and many of us bought it. He continues to say things to the press as he pleases, which in turn are meant to be consumed by whoever reads/watches/hears about it. He's under no obligation to do any of that of course. He says he would like to get the Stones on the road again.

Speculation and analysis of all the above by those "who give a shit", (to borrow from Keith), are the logical conclusions a rational person would expect. Accurate or inaccurate, whatever the reality of a situation is

The reality of the situation is that Keith obviously derives great satisfaction out of being a legend, wouldn't you?

Posted by: tomzen ()
Date: July 23, 2012 15:19

Why don't they play the Paralympics instead? Would give them some extra time to practise as well.

Date: July 23, 2012 16:40

jamesfdouglas
rogue

Your bashing is getting stale.

I´m so looking forward to see all of you speculating, over-analyzing Keith-bashers front of stage when the Stones hit the road again.

You don´t even deserve a ticket - oh, wait, you don´t wanna go to Stones-shows anymore, I forgot...

Date: July 23, 2012 16:43

DandelionPowderman
jamesfdouglas
rogue

Your bashing is getting stale.

waiter? WAITER!?? bring us some fresh bashing, please!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home