Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Mick Jagger: 'I don't think The Rolling Stones were 'stage ready' for The Olympics'
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 13, 2012 13:53

Mick Jagger: 'I don't think The Rolling Stones were 'stage ready' for The Olympics'

The Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger has said that the band didn't agree to play The Olympics opening ceremony because they weren't 'stage ready'.

Speaking to ITN – via Rolling Stone - in a video which you can see below, Jagger said: "I didn't think, to be honest, we were quite stage ready. We haven't played in a long time and we weren't really stage-ready, and it's a very big gig and it's very risk-taking. I didn't think the band themselves felt they were really ready to do it at this point."

However, he added that the band do want to play some shows later this year. "We hope we're going to do some gigs this year. We haven't actually finalised them, but we hope we're going to do some gigs. We've done rehearsing, hanging out together and all that discussing so you know, we've been seeing each other quite a lot."

Keith Richards has also confirmed that The Rolling Stones are rehearsing together once again. The band celebrate the 50th anniversary of their first ever gig today (July 12) and Richards has said that they are now back playing together again after a lengthy break.

Speaking to BBC News, Richards said of the band's current status: "There's things in the works - I think it's definitely happening. But when? I can't say yet. We're playing around with the idea and had a couple of rehearsals - we've got together and it feels so good."

Richards was speaking as a new photography exhibition called The Rolling Stones: 50 opens at London's Somerset House. The free exhibition will be held from July 13-August 27 in the landmark venue's East Wing Galleries and will coincide with the release of a book of the same time. The book will feature 700 shots and words from the band on their history, and will hit UK bookshops today.

To read more about The Rolling Stones' 50th anniversary, pick up the next issue of NME, which includes a celebration of the band's amazing career. It is on newsstands next Wednesday (July 18) or available digitally.

[www.nme.com]

Re: Mick Jagger: 'I don't think The Rolling Stones were 'stage ready' for The Olympics'
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 13, 2012 13:56

I like to read what I read here. Lots of good news. Thanks for posting.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: Mick Jagger: 'I don't think The Rolling Stones were 'stage ready' for The Olympics'
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 13, 2012 14:16

So, it's basically what some of us have said when they 'rehearsed' in London. Jagger just told the rest he wouldn't do anything with the Stones. 'Not stage ready' means Richards is not up to it: Wood, Watts and Wyman all have showed they are in good form in the last months, Richards has shown he just lost the ability to play anything at all.

Mathijs

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: July 13, 2012 14:23

Mathijs
So, it's basically what some of us have said when they 'rehearsed' in London. Jagger just told the rest he wouldn't do anything with the Stones. 'Not stage ready' means Richards is not up to it: Wood, Watts and Wyman all have showed they are in good form in the last months, Richards has shown he just lost the ability to play anything at all.

Mathijs

Very well put, but I hope there's nothing a lot of practice and rehearsals can't fix.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 13, 2012 16:28

audun-eg
Mathijs

Mathijs

Very well put, but I hope there's nothing a lot of practice and rehearsals can't fix.

I do not think that any practice can fix it. There is a question - why did not he practice before to be ready in time? Yes - he was busy with his literary career
  One performance, the final bow - when everything and everybody are hiding KR's unability - it's possible. Richards can be on the stage only with a safety net. But live broadcast, in front of millions of viewers - he is not in this league now. He could only smile a fake smile and enjoy the attention of journalists

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: July 13, 2012 16:33

Yeah, same old song and dance. I sincerely believe that Jagger WANTS a Stones thing to happen, if not a full tour then at least a or some shows. I am in the camp that believes Keith may be the hold out here.

Sorry, but all the practice and rehearsals in the world cannot fix the inevibility of age, decline in skill, and other factors.

I really do hope they have at least a couple of shows - preferrably good ones, obviously - left in them to cap off this long career. But I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 13, 2012 16:34

proudmary
audun-eg
Mathijs

Mathijs

I do not think that any practice can fix it. There is a question - why did not he practice before to be ready in time? Yes - he was busy with his literary career
  One performance, the final bow - when everything and everybody are hiding KR's unability - it's possible. Richards can be on the stage only with a safety net. But live broadcast, in front of millions of viewers - he is not in this league now. He could only smile a fake smile and enjoy the attention of journalists

keef and blondie need extra time to workout their "man behind the curtain" routine. this takes practice, practice, practice, folks.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 13, 2012 16:41

I'm pretty sure the Olympics weren't band rider ready for the Stones.
But thats big of Mick to take the blame...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 13, 2012 16:54

If you only manage to practise a couple of hours during five years: Of course you won't be ready! Why did they wait five years before going into a studio? Keith's health status doesn't improve the longer they'll wait. On the contrary.

Date: July 13, 2012 17:00

Stoneage
If you only manage to practise a couple of hours during five years: Of course you won't be ready! Why did they wait five years before going into a studio? Keith's health status doesn't improve the longer they'll wait. On the contrary.

he should just listen to naturalust and stop eating all shepherd's pie and he'll be good as new...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 13, 2012 17:40

StonesTod
proudmary
audun-eg
Mathijs

Mathijs

keef and blondie need extra time to workout their "man behind the curtain" routine. this takes practice, practice, practice, folks.

Keith isn't the most disciplined person - he will practice when he wants..

And doing lots of practice just for an Olympics consert for a 2-3 songs appearance - wouldn't make sence if not combined with a tour - not musically, maybe money-/PR-wise.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 13, 2012 17:49

StonesTod
Stoneage

he should just listen to naturalust and stop eating all shepherd's pie and he'll be good as new...

you mean meeting marianne at the vegetable farm...?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 13, 2012 17:51

Mathijs

Mathijs

<<< means Richards is not up to it >>>

<<< Richards has shown he just lost the ability to play anything at all >>>

Hmm ... this is worrying, very worrying. Do we know this to be true however ? I mean, WHAT exactly has Keith done in the way of performances since August 2007, I mean something that we could fairly and reasonably judge him on ? Not a lot I think, unless I haven't been paying attention.

I only hope that he is actually still up to it, and that his skills (albeit diminished) nevertheless remain more than adequate. Because if not, what then ? Basically, they're sunk, and it really IS all over now !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: July 13, 2012 17:54

shortfatfanny
StonesTod
Stoneage

you mean meeting marianne at the vegetable farm...?

c'mon marianne...say you'll understand, oh I know you can, c'mon marianne

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 13, 2012 17:57

Mick is a what I would call a perfectionist. That is why the tour often start in more remote places, then they arrive into the big city NYC mid September when the band is hot... Wonder why the Hartford shows always are great, same with NYC? Because the Stones are just like the athlets. They warm up for a month or so rehearsing. Then they "compete" some 4-6 weeks in various venues. Then they go into the critical markets. And in the end, when they close up, they arrive home. London.

What Mick says here is they are too rusty right now. They are always rusty early on. But "a few gigs" later this year will make then less rusty. By the way, I don't mind the Stones being rusty. That is their brand. If you need a perfect band then go see a studio session band not the Stones. The magic is when Keith hit the wrong chords and they do "If You Can't Rock Me" when the set list and Ronnie's gitar setup etc are all ready for "You Got Me Rocking" (Brisbane 2003).

We will have Bill Wyman on stage with the Stones later this year. First time since 1990 final shows Wembley. We might have Mick Taylor too if we are lucky. I think we are pretty spoiled and lucky!

Bjornulf

Date: July 13, 2012 17:58

What a strange thing to say. They've had how long to get it together? A LONG TIME.

Is Jagger assumming that they were going to be asked?

Date: July 13, 2012 17:59

bv has spoken. so, stop yer belly-aching and whining.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 13, 2012 18:00

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
What a strange thing to say. They've had how long to get it together? A LONG TIME.

They were asked and they declined.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: July 13, 2012 18:09

It would seem the Stones could have had years to get ready for the Olympics.
I am pretty sure organziers didn't just ask them yesterday.

If it is anything like the Superbowl..all they had to do was play a few songs.

Are there any pics from yesterday with Mick Taylor & Wyman ...with the Stones?

Date: July 13, 2012 18:09

mtaylor
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

They were asked and they declined.

Well then. They still had plenty of time to get it together. Way plenty.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 13, 2012 18:18

bv
The magic is when Keith hit the wrong chords and they do "If You Can't Rock Me" when the set list and Ronnie's gitar setup etc are all ready for "You Got Me Rocking" (Brisbane 2003).

you call that magic ? I call that a complete f**k up !!!

something i wouldn't be paying $500 a ticket for !

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: July 13, 2012 18:18

Who cares about playing at the Olympics? What's in it for them? What do theu have to do with music? I don't even know when they begin, LOL! Silly. Keith will be fine and you can bank on a huge world tour next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-13 18:21 by Woz.

Date: July 13, 2012 18:25

Eleanor Rigby
bv
The magic is when Keith hit the wrong chords

Well, if that makes you feel better ... go ahead

-------------------

Date: July 13, 2012 18:25

Eleanor Rigby
bv
The magic is when Keith hit the wrong chords and they do "If You Can't Rock Me" when the set list and Ronnie's gitar setup etc are all ready for "You Got Me Rocking" (Brisbane 2003).

yes, for most bands. but when the stones screw up, it's glorious. that's one of the perks of being the world's greatest, you see...

Date: July 13, 2012 18:35

Holy jeezles. What happened ? StonesTod ? You replied to the same message as I did. Even in the very same minute. Could that be a sign ?

-------------------

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 13, 2012 18:36

Rolling Hansie
Eleanor Rigby
bv
The magic is when Keith hit the wrong chords

Well, if that makes you feel better ... go ahead

what are you talking about ?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 13, 2012 18:37

Most people who watch the Olypics don't know the name of the bass player of the Stones. I don't care if Macca or Tom Jones or Oasis or whoever open up the Olympics. I don't care if or if not the Stones play for the Queen. But I certainly do care if and when they perform for real fans. We just have to be patient while they are sorting out the details. They are discussing their plans now.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: July 13, 2012 18:39

Exactly.

> But I certainly do care if and when they perform for real fans.<

And this is what I suspect THEY care about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-13 18:40 by Woz.

Date: July 13, 2012 18:40

Rolling Hansie
Holy jeezles. What happened ? StonesTod ? You replied to the same message as I did. Even in the very same minute. Could that be a sign ?

armageddon or something?

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: July 13, 2012 18:43

Mathijs

Mathijs

As usual, you are reading way too much into a few comments the Stones made a few weeks ago. They may simply not wanted to do it. You have concluded, based on little or no evidence, that Keith is brain dead and can no longer play the guitar.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1520
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home