Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Ronnie Wood and The Last Waltz
Posted by: nickm8 ()
Date: September 17, 2013 00:27

So ive been listening to Bob Dylan these past few weeks i use to love dylan and now i just refreshed my memory on his tunes and the stones do a great version of like a rolling stone, but anyway dylan did a lot with The Band and their final concert The Last Waltz is a great great concert film one of the best and i was wondering if anyone knew why the hell Rockin Ronnie was randomly on the Last Waltz but he doesnt play a major part or sing at all i only caught a glimpse of him for a few seconds in one song in the movie, opinions?

Re: Ronnie Wood and The Last Waltz
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:12

He kind of represents the Rolling Stones, thereby making sure the whole senior super elite of rock 'n' roll is included in the show. But it doesn't really explain or tell the story about his participation.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:24

Ronnie and The Band both played (in some cases together) on the sessions for Clapton's "No Reason To Cry" recorded in Malibu in spring 1976 and released in August of that year (three months before the Last Waltz gig). The fact that he was on their 'radar' that year would have probably been the main reason for his inclusion. (Clapton's "All Our Past Times" from this album was performed at the gig, although only included on the 2002 box set reissue)

Likewise with the likes of Neil Diamond - seen by some as a strange choice, but whose 'Beautiful Noise' album had been produced by Robertson earlier that year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 01:24 by Gazza.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:25

It appears that Wood, along with Clapton, were there to pay there respects to Muddy Waters and take part in a blues jam. It seems that The Band invited some prominent rock names who had been notably influenced by Muddy waters.

Here is an account of the blues jam rehearsal and filming and subsequent post-show jam in which Wood also took part (on bass) by a member of Muddy's band from that time, Bob Margolin: [bobmargolin.com]

Left to right: Robbie Robertson, Muddy Waters, Bob Margolin, and Paul Butterfield.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:29

In Levon's autobiography, he claims that Robbie wanted to cut Muddy Waters from The Last Waltz to make room for Neil F-ing Diamond. Levon threatened to not play if Muddy was cut.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:58

Thanks Stonehearted! That Bob Margolin piece is a jewel.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 17, 2013 02:21

In the Last Waltz DVD, if you change the audio setting to get commentary, they mention how during Muddy's set, there was camera problems and the only camera working was the one from the side of the stage. If that one had screwed up, then none of Muddy's performance would have been captured on film.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: September 17, 2013 03:21

Ronnie, Ringo and Steve Stills were there because they were friends of the Band and were hanging out at the concert-- they were invited to come on and jam at the end-- none of them were expected to appear- it was just something extra for the fans ( and the Band )

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 17, 2013 03:25

ab
In Levon's autobiography, he claims that Robbie wanted to cut Muddy Waters from The Last Waltz to make room for Neil F-ing Diamond. Levon threatened to not play if Muddy was cut.

I also read this. In fact, The Last Waltz is one of my favourite musical films, and after reading Levon's autobiography I couldn't understand how they managed to make an excellent concert (at least is what we can see in the movie) with all the tension that was surrounding the Band.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 17, 2013 03:44

On the Levon/Garth DVD commentary, they laugh at how Robbie was always shown singing on a dead mic.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: September 17, 2013 04:00

There was a jam session after the Band left. Ronnie was in on that.Clapton played from a chair during this jam session. The jam was between 11:30 and 1:00 am. Then the Band came back out for 'Don't do it' and the show was over. Since they had a problem with sound recording, much of it is not in the film.

Scorsese actually tried to get people bootleg recordings to help the film and a lot of the recording was added afterwards. With the focus being on film, they neglected the sound aspect. Sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 04:01 by dougie.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: September 17, 2013 04:05

Neil Diamond didn't fit at all. His performance is probably the only low point of the film.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 17, 2013 04:11

Neil Young's performance of Helpless is one of the best I've ever seen. I like how when he comes out, he thanks Robbie for letting him do this and he looks back and says shit, are you kidding me!! In the commentary, Robbie says he's looking towards the sky to pretend he didn't know where Joni's background singing was coming from.

Date: September 17, 2013 05:05

JimmyTheSaint
Neil Diamond didn't fit at all. His performance is probably the only low point of the film.

He seemed a bit out of place. First of all, he was way overdressed as if he were primed for a slot in Vegas, then there's this massive floodlight illuminating him as if to say, "Excuse me, but I'm the star here, and I need to be brighter than everyone else on the stage. The song he did was flat as well, nothing memorable or outstanding about it.

If he had come out in his "Hot August Night" mode and done something more earthy like Cracklin' Rose or Holly Holy, then he might have gone down much better.

But then, by 1976 it was no longer the "early Neil Diamond" unfortunately.

Date: September 17, 2013 05:36

I was never a great Neil Diamond fan until I came to know him.
One of the nicest, down-to-earth people I've ever met.
Now, to the The Last Waltz, Robbie Robertson had big dreams then of going solo, did some work with Neil and apparently it went to his head. IE: publishing money, new contacts and blah blah blah.

Neil certainly would have been horrified if he'd known of Robertson's trying to mess with Muddy.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 17, 2013 05:57

On reflection after not seeing it for many years, and seeing it again recently, there is something very strange about The Last Waltz. Why would The Band need to formally quit the road (forever)? It seems mostly Robertson who can't imagine going on the road again, the others seem ambivalent at best. It's a very thin premise for what is admittedly a great film. And Neil Diamond is a fish out of water here. He is understandable when you know that Roberston worked with him, but his performance is bizarre in that setting. Levon Helm's tense interview with Scorcese is also odd. The impression given in the film is that they are quitting the road in part to survive as musicians (like The Beatles did ten years before), but they never released another album after The Last Waltz with the same lineup. (Not sure if any of "Islands" was recorded after TLW). Of course, much is cleared up when you read Helm's book, or rather, at least it gives one another perspective other than the "official" Robertson/Scorsese one presented in the film.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 06:06 by 71Tele.

Date: September 17, 2013 06:17

Good post Tele!

I had similar feelings when I first saw it. I had been told by one of the "Last Waltz crew that his impression of Scorsese was that he was less than an authority on "pop" music, In all the PR and numerous raves about his later music films and the PBS stuff I never forgot that comment.

Date: September 17, 2013 06:33

stonesrule
Good post Tele!

I had similar feelings when I first saw it. I had been told by one of the "Last Waltz crew that his impression of Scorsese was that he was less than an authority on "pop" music, In all the PR and numerous raves about his later music films and the PBS stuff I never forgot that comment.

Thank you, Stonesrule. That said, I do think "No Direction Home" is about the finest film made about a rock 'n roll artist ever. Wish he had been able to take the same approach with the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 06:36 by 71Tele.

Date: September 17, 2013 07:14

I liked "No Direction Home" a lot but Bob and his manager knew exactly what they wanted from theget-go and the editor was the true star in why it turned out so well.

Date: September 17, 2013 07:16

stonesrule
I liked "No Direction Home" a lot but Bob and his manager knew exactly what they wanted from theget-go and the editor was the true star in why it turned out so well.

I don't doubt Bob got what he wanted, but we still got more Bob than from any other film. I found the childhood/Hibbing stuff fascinating, and his comments were priceless ("that girl looked like she could use a singing partner!").

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 17, 2013 07:52

bob r
Ronnie, Ringo and Steve Stills were there because they were friends of the Band and were hanging out at the concert-- they were invited to come on and jam at the end-- none of them were expected to appear- it was just something extra for the fans ( and the Band )

As I recall, Ringo and Ronnie were prominently mentioned in the radio ads for the film. Very misleading in that they only appeared for half a minute or so. I wasn't (and still am not) a big fan of The Band or any of the featured acts, but I enjoyed the film a great deal nonetheless.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 17, 2013 07:57

As good as the music is, there's a degree of BS surrounding The Last Waltz.

Film critic Stanley Kaufman wrote about how strange it was to see such young men pretend to be old and talk about how tired and road weary they were.

SCTV did a parody of The Last Waltz called The Last Polka

The Last Waltz wasn't the last time they played together. The Band got together and played a few songs at the end of a Rick Danko solo show at the Roxy about a year before the film of The Last Waltz came out. After the film, there was this "final show" myth that had to be maintained.

Date: September 17, 2013 08:12

If it was Robbie that wanted to quit the touring routine of The Band, then that would make sense, considering that by the end of the decade he was part of the all-star cast in the movie Carny.

By the way, if anyone appears a "fish out of water" it's Ringo. The post above explains why his drumming looks to be so off and out of time in that all-star jam at the end--that he was just there as part of the audience and was invited to come up on stage. So, not having rehearsed, it now makes sense why Ringo would be looking over at the other drummer as if to say, "Okay, let's see what I'm suppose to play now--oops! Late again with that beat. Oops! Missed it again. Ah, well, what am I playing next? Oops, late again on the beat!"

Does anyone remember Carny, and did Robbie have "Notice me, I have Hollywood syndrome?" It has been noted, that in the interviews for The Last Waltz, that Robbie was playing the part of "the rock star thing" to the hilt.

Of all of them, Rick Danko looked to be the least willing to call it a day, there seemed a sad, but steadfast, resolution as he was shown in the studio working solemnly on a track for his solo album, at least that's my impression of my memory of it, having not seen the film in a while, though I have it on DVD. I go through Band phases every now and again.

Robbie alongside Gary (A)Busey and Jodie Foster as the silent and moodie "Patch" character in 1980's Carny:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 08:51 by stonehearted.

Date: September 17, 2013 08:19

Robbie has pretty much been "me, me, me" since he left The Band.

Date: September 17, 2013 09:31

Ronnie knows everyone, and apparently he is everywhere - hence he had to be on stage in TLW smiling smiley

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 17, 2013 12:43

Ronnie explains it himself at around 2:10

I love Ronnies youtube-channel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 12:45 by BowieStone.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 17, 2013 13:22

Ronnie was probably there for the party. + aren't him & Dylan buddies? A fine film. I have nothing but respect for Robbie. I think he wanted to come out of the thing still breathing. I would love to see him live. I met him once & he was very nice to me. He did an archive interview @ the Experience Music Project that was fascinating.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 17, 2013 13:35

StonesCat
On the Levon/Garth DVD commentary, they laugh at how Robbie was always shown singing on a dead mic.
did you ever hear how robbie sings? listen to his solo albums and then you know why his mic was turned off .

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 17, 2013 14:32

ronnie is here

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: September 17, 2013 15:17

I'd love to hear Garth's take on the whole thing....

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home