Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: O/T The Return of Axl Rose (tomorrow in Dublin!) - RetroReview of Chinese Democracy
Date: June 3, 2012 00:17

axl rose is a boob. G&R are possibly the most over rated band ever...lets face it, one decent record (first one) and then the illusions, which were spotty but decent in spots. i prefer the izzy stradlin solo stuff, whch he is still churning out, over any G&R; its way cooler and way more Stones-ish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-03 02:39 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Re: O/T The Return of Axl Rose (tomorrow in Dublin!) - RetroReview of Chinese Democracy
Date: June 3, 2012 02:45

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
keefriffhard4life
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Palace Revolution 2000
Title5Take1
Did any CHINESE DEMOCRACY songs "get known" and sell? I listened to the album when it came out, but today can't remember any of the songs off the top of my head (like I can other GnR songs). I mean, even STREETS OF LOVE—which a lot of Stones fans loath (I like it)—hit #1 in Spain, and placed in the top 5 in some other European countries' singles charts.

That might be because you only listened to it once years ago - I say this in fairness to Axl. I really wanted to dislike the album - it was just too perfect: a set up to be the punchline to some good jokes. But somehow Axl put out a surprisingly good album. There is a lot of melody.

You said it. It's a Axl album, not a GNR album. And yes, no CHINESE DEMOCRACY songs were ever played on the radio or became hits or remembered or liked. It's just one giant FAIL.

you must not ever look at billboard.com. there were 2 hits. the title track hit the billboard top 40 and the top 5 on mainstream rock and "better" hit the billboard top 100 and again top 5 on mainstream rock.

Obviously a major typo on Billboard's part.

i have no clue why that made me laugh but anyways the info was right there on billboard.com

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 3, 2012 04:35

Hairball
Here's a not-so-positive review from the Washington Post a few months ago:

"For three torturous hours, the guys sucked the life force from some of the most anthemic rock songs ever written".

In concert: Guns N’ Roses at Fillmore Silver Spring
By Chris Richards

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Axl Rose took the stage at midnight and it was all downhill from there.

Guns N’ Roses stepped onto the Fillmore Silver Spring stage a few ticks after midnight on Friday morning and didn’t pack it up until 3:04?a.m.

It wasn’t a rock concert. It was a hostage situation.

Where did these guys even find the gall to call themselves Guns N’ Roses? Led by the band’s only original member, frontman Axl Rose, this unfocused eight-man crew pranced and preened with the enthusiasm and talent of a tribute band. For three torturous hours, the guys sucked the life force from some of the most anthemic rock songs ever written — “Sweet Child O’ Mine,” “Paradise City” and “November Rain” among them.

To call it a train wreck wouldn’t be right. Train wrecks are fast and violent. This was like being stuck in gridlock traffic behind a garbage truck in August.

Since Guns N’ Roses’ beloved original lineup dissolved in the mid-’90s, Rose has become a master of this brand of showbiz sadism. In order to bask in his mediocrity, we must wait. Fans stuck around for 15 years as the man tinkered with “Chinese Democracy,” the 2008 opus that only proved how far he had fallen. Now, at age 50, Rose is touring with this version of Guns N’ Roses as the band prepares to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April.

Dreamers dreamed that this warm-up tour of relatively intimate club dates might include some of the band’s early members — guitarists Slash and Izzy Stradlin, bassist Duff McKagan, drummer Steven Adler — that fantastic collision of characters that made Guns N’ Roses so magnetic 25 years ago when its album “Appetite For Destruction” gave rock-and-roll its last massive injection of sex and danger.

Instead, Rose has surrounded himself with sloppy, unimaginative players that make him sound dated, safe and sexless. They had no command of pace or rhythm on Friday morning. Drum fills were dashed off. Guitar leads were hurried. And anytime Rose left the stage for one of the dozens of breathers he took throughout the set, the band would wander off into instrumental dead zones, as if trying to discover the intersection of pathetic and insulting. (They found it during a three-minute guitar solo over the “Pink Panther” theme.)

Vocally, Rose sounded battered but not beaten. His indelible screeching — half bird of prey, half race car brake pad — was never expected to last for a lifetime, but his voice sounded stronger than it should.

And he made up for any botched notes with those iconic moves, furiously pacing the stage, leaning against phantom walls, doing that snakey thing with his hips. His physicality was the only thing connecting him to a more glorious past.

So why did he keep leaving the stage? It only served as a repeated reminder of the Guns N’ Roses we weren’t seeing.

The evening’s primary stench emanated from Frank Ferrer’s drum kit as he carelessly let the songs slip out of focus. It felt most egregious during the finale of “November Rain,” as he turned those riveting rat-a-tat snare hits into lazy thwickity-thwacks.

More embarrassing: the Slash pantomime performed by guitarist DJ Ashba. He seems to have been hired for his ability to wear a top hat, play a Les Paul and smoke cigarettes simultaneously.

Even the group’s most veteran members — bassist Tommy Stinson and pianist Dizzy Reed — failed to bring dignity to these songs. Back to noodling at Guitar Center, all of you!

“Ya’ hangin’ in there?” Rose asked before “Shackler’s Revenge,” a song from “Chinese Democracy” that even fans in “Chinese Democracy” T-shirts seemed annoyed by. It was 1:59?a.m. Another 65?minutes to go.

A distended version of “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door” was followed by the evening’s only real stage banter: Rose reminiscing about the legendary Baltimore rock club Hammerjacks. “I remember Maryland,” he told the thinning crowd. Yet somehow, this non-story felt endearing, reminding us that there was human being up there trying to be great again. Stockholm syndrome had officially set in. Encore! Encore!

Exhausted applause at 2:31?a.m. earned the audience another gratuitious guitar solo interlude, two more tunes from “Chinese Democracy,” the acoustic ballad “Patience” — irony! — and the band’s signature, “Paradise City.”

Fans sang along with new zeal, perhaps realizing the song’s double-time finale meant their freedom: “Take me down the paradise city?/ Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty?/ Oh, won’t you please take me home?”

Yes, yes, yes. Let’s all get home safely and quickly. Tomorrow, we start trying to forget this night ever happened.

Tommy Stinson was once in one of the greatest bands of all time...and now this. I sure hope the paycheck's good for Tommy.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 4, 2012 02:09

open-g
I don't know how or even if this an accurate story....but I didn't want to open another OT thread... so here goes:

[www.guitarworld.com]

While the fallout between Axl Rose and Slash is well documented, it seems Guns N' Roses' management team has decided to take the animosity up a notch.

NME.com reports that fans wearing Slash T-shirts aren't being admitted into Guns N' Roses shows during the band's current UK tour.

During GNR's show at London's O2 Arena last night, an NME source noticed that a member of the crowd wasn't wearing a shirt under his jacket. When asked why, the fan, James Revell, 18, said he was told by security to remove his Slash T-shirt.

According to the NME.com report, the NME source asked security personnel if this was the case and was told, "We were told by management not to allow anyone into the O2 Arena who is wearing a Slash T-shirt, and we are asking anyone who is to remove it and if they refuse they will be turned away."

Revell spoke to NME today, adding, "I felt very angry because I was looking after my little brother at the time and felt as though my freedom to wear what I want had been taken away from me; however, I did not react angrily as I didn't want to spoil the show for him."

"You in the Slash t-shirt...GET THE F#@K OUT OF MY SHOW"!!!

Date: June 4, 2012 02:23

keefriffhard4life
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
keefriffhard4life
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Palace Revolution 2000
Title5Take1
Did any CHINESE DEMOCRACY songs "get known" and sell? I listened to the album when it came out, but today can't remember any of the songs off the top of my head (like I can other GnR songs). I mean, even STREETS OF LOVE—which a lot of Stones fans loath (I like it)—hit #1 in Spain, and placed in the top 5 in some other European countries' singles charts.

That might be because you only listened to it once years ago - I say this in fairness to Axl. I really wanted to dislike the album - it was just too perfect: a set up to be the punchline to some good jokes. But somehow Axl put out a surprisingly good album. There is a lot of melody.

You said it. It's a Axl album, not a GNR album. And yes, no CHINESE DEMOCRACY songs were ever played on the radio or became hits or remembered or liked. It's just one giant FAIL.

you must not ever look at billboard.com. there were 2 hits. the title track hit the billboard top 40 and the top 5 on mainstream rock and "better" hit the billboard top 100 and again top 5 on mainstream rock.

Obviously a major typo on Billboard's part.

i have no clue why that made me laugh but anyways the info was right there on billboard.com

Ha ha! Because you know it's FUNNY!

Date: June 4, 2012 06:32

Hairball
open-g
I don't know how or even if this an accurate story....but I didn't want to open another OT thread... so here goes:

[www.guitarworld.com]

While the fallout between Axl Rose and Slash is well documented, it seems Guns N' Roses' management team has decided to take the animosity up a notch.

NME.com reports that fans wearing Slash T-shirts aren't being admitted into Guns N' Roses shows during the band's current UK tour.

During GNR's show at London's O2 Arena last night, an NME source noticed that a member of the crowd wasn't wearing a shirt under his jacket. When asked why, the fan, James Revell, 18, said he was told by security to remove his Slash T-shirt.

According to the NME.com report, the NME source asked security personnel if this was the case and was told, "We were told by management not to allow anyone into the O2 Arena who is wearing a Slash T-shirt, and we are asking anyone who is to remove it and if they refuse they will be turned away."

Revell spoke to NME today, adding, "I felt very angry because I was looking after my little brother at the time and felt as though my freedom to wear what I want had been taken away from me; however, I did not react angrily as I didn't want to spoil the show for him."

Looks like Axl's not missing many meals.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 4, 2012 15:19

"Looks like Axl's not missing many meals"

Wrong, it's menopause... It brings bad temper too! smoking smiley

Date: June 4, 2012 15:25

pinkfloydthebarber
axl rose is a boob. G&R are possibly the most over rated band ever...lets face it, one decent record (first one) and then the illusions, which were spotty but decent in spots. i prefer the izzy stradlin solo stuff, whch he is still churning out, over any G&R; its way cooler and way more Stones-ish

Er, what about Lies?

Date: June 4, 2012 15:31

Hairball
open-g

[www.guitarworld.com]

Is that Axl Rose????????????

Date: June 4, 2012 16:25

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
open-g

[www.guitarworld.com]

yes it is. he was taking some meds that made him appear bloated. he has since stopped taking them. looks much skinnier in this pic
[images.search.yahoo.com]

Date: June 4, 2012 18:10

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
open-g

[www.guitarworld.com]

yes it is. he was taking some meds that made him appear bloated. he has since stopped taking them. looks much skinnier in this pic

I think those "meds" are called "cheeseburgers".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-04 18:24 by 71Tele.

Date: June 4, 2012 20:30

71Tele
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
open-g

[www.guitarworld.com]

so you don't think he looks any skinnier in the pic i linked? its from like a month ago

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 4, 2012 20:42

is that really axl???? holy shit.he went out in public looking like that?

it looks like meatloaf with a bandana,man thats sad.this is what happens when someone really spins out in a public way.they end up fat and crazy telling people what t-shirts they can wear to their show.

when axl went nuts back in the day we all figured he would end up flinging himself off of a building or go on a shooting spree,but this..this is almost worse.

anybody know when we can expect chinese democracy 2? it seems the first one didnt really bomb and had hit songs,you can rarely find a person who doesnt remember the first time they heard "better"

at least we know where it ends-an endorsement deal."welcome to mcdonalds we got whatcha neeed"

Date: June 4, 2012 20:52

lem motlow
is that really axl???? holy shit.he went out in public looking like that?

it looks like meatloaf with a bandana,man thats sad.this is what happens when someone really spins out in a public way.they end up fat and crazy telling people what t-shirts they can wear to their show.

when axl went nuts back in the day we all figured he would end up flinging himself off of a building or go on a shooting spree,but this..this is almost worse.

anybody know when we can expect chinese democracy 2? it seems the first one didnt really bomb and had hit songs,you can rarely find a person who doesnt remember the first time they heard "better"

at least we know where it ends-an endorsement deal."welcome to mcdonalds we got whatcha neeed"

sorry GNR can't be like the stones and have their new singles have a life beyond the original album release and tour...oh wait nothing the stones have recorded in the last 20+ years gets played on the radio anymore. come to think of it the stones hardly play anything on tour recorded in the last 30 years

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-04 20:53 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: June 4, 2012 21:09

keefriffhard4life
71Tele
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
open-g

[www.guitarworld.com]

so you don't think he looks any skinnier in the pic i linked? its from like a month ago

I didn't look at it, to be honest. I am really not that invested in how heavy Axl is or isn't these days. Just thought the "meds" thing was funny.

Date: June 4, 2012 21:15

i thought it was fricken chris farley there for a minute

Date: June 4, 2012 21:21

pinkfloydthebarber
i thought it was fricken chris farley there for a minute

he should pull out one of his old jackets from the 80s and do the farley bit "fat guy in a little coat" during the show.

he could even do it in the axl voice-"fat guy in a litttle cooooat"

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 4, 2012 21:45

I don't believe anyone really thinks of this abortion as Guns N Roses

I don't believe anyone really thinks CD was anything other than pure shit

I don't believe anyone that loved the original GNR even liked the 2 UYI albums even back then

The band died in 1988

Date: June 4, 2012 21:47

andy js

I don't believe anyone that loved the original GNR even liked the 2 UYI albums even back then

The band died in 1988

funny since most of the songs on use your illusions were written, demo'd and a few even recorded before 1988

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 4, 2012 22:05

andy js

The band died in 1988

I believe you're right on all accounts.

Date: June 4, 2012 22:20

andy js

The band died in 1988

oh,believe it.there were japanese soldiers found in the philippines 27 years after WW11.they had been in hiding and had to be convinced that ideed,it was over.The last remaining one was located by a student who had studied the situation and the loyal man refused to "surrender"until ordered by his commanding officer.the student actually went to japan and found the commander and arranged a meeting wherein the worlds ultimate diehard was told the awful truth.there is no truth however,to the rumor that the soldier is still alive and owns a copy of chinese democracy.

Date: June 4, 2012 22:35

In 1989 they said Stoned should have been their supporting band and play before them.

Since them my opinion has not been the best. Anyway....after the raise is the fall.

You may see Axle Rose falling in this 2011 video...(at 0:19, he refuses help)

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: June 4, 2012 22:40

Another one at 0:11...other concert..

[video]

Date: June 5, 2012 00:38

the band LOVE/HATE was better anyways. they were similar in style but mixed in elements of funk and metal and a small hint of rap in the way the singer delivered some of the lyrics. they were grittier and had a more street feel to them.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1490
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home