Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Mick Taylor on Late Night w/ Jimmy Fallon 5/9
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 04:41

Just read that MT's band includes Bernard Purdie, who played on some classic stuff with Aretha.
Very cool.

Date: May 10, 2012 07:44

Just heard Taylor play on the Jimmy fallon's show. His playing was FANTASTIC. Sounded like Shine a Light licks to me. how i wish he could still be a part of the Stones

Date: May 10, 2012 07:53

Howard Stern just gave him a hard time for leaving the Stones. Taylor just laughed it off and was quite gracious about it

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 10, 2012 07:54

wanderingspirit66
Just heard Taylor play on the Jimmy fallon's show. His playing was FANTASTIC. Sounded like Shine a Light licks to me. how i wish he could still be a part of the Stones

Who knows....one day...

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 10, 2012 07:57

stupidguy2
And he used to have two pitbulls named Bianca and Jade.

Haha, that's right, named "Bianca Romijn Stamos". I think it was an English Bulldog though.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 10, 2012 08:02

love in vainish outtro to commercial

Date: May 10, 2012 08:03

Fantastic to hear Taylor. He just played a variation of Love in Vain before the ads came on. His playing is still really quite superb.

Date: May 10, 2012 08:06

Howard - just shut up. Stop giving him a hard time

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: May 10, 2012 08:24

ahhh cant you here me knockin

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 10, 2012 08:30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 08:36 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 10, 2012 08:50

didnt see this thread. just posted a link for the show on the snl thread.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 09:14

carlorossi
stupidguy2
And he used to have two pitbulls named Bianca and Jade.

Haha, that's right, named "Bianca Romijn Stamos". I think it was an English Bulldog though.

That's hilarious.
It warms my Stones heart to see MT get some love and attention. It's about time. I always worried that he would be one of those artists who would have to die before he got props.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 10, 2012 11:39

I stayed up to see Mick Taylor on Jimmy Fallon, and was a little disappointed.

Mick Taylor wasn't interviewed; he just sat in with The Roots, currently Jimmy Fallon's house band.

His playing was definitely very nice! And as reported, we heard little 3- to 5-second snippets of
MT playing before and after commercials. What we could hear from "Love in Vain" was great. Also the
opening riff to "Can't You Hear Me Knocking."

Howard Stern's grilling and ribbing of Mick Taylor was uncomfortable to sit through. He is, after
all, Howard Stern, and of course HE may have believed he was being respectful, in a sorta sideways insulting
way -- but he was awful. Asking over and over again why he left the Stones, demanding Mick tell him
his reasons for leaving , telling Mick 5 different ways what a gargantuan mistake it was to have
left the Stones, and even saying something like "Just LOOK at you. You look like hell." And teasing
him for having thought he could have a solo career. On an on and on.

Mick Taylor was enormously gracious, and gave some of it back to Howard Stern, but good lord!! how
TEDIOUS it must be to be Mick Taylor a lot of the time.

I was very disappointed that they didn't play ONE song in its entirety. At the end, for about 45 seconds
The Roots were jamming and sort of rapping, and Mick was playing some extremely appropriate and tasty
licks -- musically sounded like he was having fun.

But if you didn't stay up to watch it--or have Tivo--what you missed was seeing that Mick IS looking good
[and happy] and IS sounding great! But no hugely unforgettable moments.
-swiss

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: May 10, 2012 12:05

Swiss, thanks for the review.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 10, 2012 13:47

Howard could have acknowledged how great Taylor was with the Stones, he could have said something positive to balance his shtick because Howard had said many times that he loves the Taylor era the most.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 10, 2012 14:14

Any clips on YouTube yet?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 10, 2012 14:14

Thank you for the reviews... and saving me from having to watch too much of the DVR of this... I find Fallon unwatchable, his fawning style is too much... and how fkg retarded is it to have Mick Taylor on the show playing only partial bits of songs as a guest of the ruts?... and they have a stupid cooking segment at the end versus having Mick play a full song? bunch of morons... Fallon sucks, his producers sucks and his show sucks...

Brooklyn Decker looked great, as usual... ummmmm Brooklyn Decker smiling smiley...
while that other guest is not even worthy of comment.

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 14:25

It sounds like Jimmy Fallon deliberately scheduled Howard Stern on the show so he could needle and humiliate a nice guy like Mick Taylor.

Fallon is a dick . he fawns to the powerful and slaps those who can't do him much good. I will watch it on YouTube, not on his show. No big rush either on that. The Roots are a mediocrity of a band

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: May 10, 2012 14:34

Mick Taylor: Can't You Hear Me Knockin (5/9/12)

[bagofmiscellaneousrocks.com]

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 10, 2012 14:49

Awesome. MT was on fire.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 10, 2012 15:37

Yes Yes - MT was awesome and sounded great with the house band. Imagine what he would bring to the stones live sound. It was great to see him happy and comfortable on stage and fronted the band at the end on the outro lead vamp.

play the guitar boy.

Date: May 10, 2012 15:48

Taylor was great. I would have liked him a bit higher in the mix when he took off, round 4:00, though. He could have beefed it up a little.

Nice jazz/latin scales in there as well. Brings back the memories of Time Waits For No One and parts of I'm Free live from 1969. thumbs up

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 10, 2012 15:53

There does seem to be a cosmic movement going on, slowly but surely all the planets are aligning all this recent activity from all members ex and current must be leading somewhere. This in particular has to be exposing Taylor to a generation of music fans who may not be aware of him in readiness for something more exciting. grinning smiley

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 16:08

rollmops
Howard could have acknowledged how great Taylor was with the Stones, he could have said something positive to balance his shtick because Howard had said many times that he loves the Taylor era the most.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Howard said MT is one of the top 5 guitarists of all time, I think MT got him back, however, because there was one shot where he seemed to be sleeping during Howard's interview.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 10, 2012 16:17

tkl7

Howard said MT is one of the top 5 guitarists of all time

What a ridiculous thing to say! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Taylor's chops seem better than a few years back.

All this current activity, sure seems like the creator(Jagger) has a masterplan, I think at some point in the future we are going to see and hear Taylor playing with The Rolling Stones onstage again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 16:20 by His Majesty.

Date: May 10, 2012 16:26

It was so good to see Taylor looking healthy and simply happy to be playing that guitar so well. As Fallon introduced Taylor, the band played something reminiscent of Shine a Light. Taylor's leads were simply beautiful. Not to keep knocking on Wood and Richards but I can't help contrast this to the version of the Stones who have attempted to play this song since then. Taylor is still the solution to the "legacy" thread that James Douglas started.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 10, 2012 16:26

mitchflorida1
The Roots are a mediocrity of a band
And what another ridiculous thing to say.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 16:27

DandelionPowderman
Taylor was great. I would have liked him a bit higher in the mix when he took off, round 4:00, though. He could have beefed it up a little.

Nice jazz/latin scales in there as well. Brings back the memories of Time Waits For No One and parts of I'm Free live from 1969. thumbs up

i 'd really like to hear that in glorious hi fi stereo on the next release

crumbling_mice
There does seem to be a cosmic movement going on, slowly but surely all the planets are aligning all this recent activity from all members ex and current must be leading somewhere. This in particular has to be exposing Taylor to a generation of music fans who may not be aware of him in readiness for something more exciting. grinning smiley

well said!
had to wait a bit there in the video ,but it was worth it, i'm waiting a bit longer for your prediction !
btw we can now imagine what it would have been like in newcastle all those years ago !

Date: May 10, 2012 16:31

His Majesty
tkl7

Howard said MT is one of the top 5 guitarists of all time

What a ridiculous thing to say! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Taylor's chops seem better than a few years back.

All this current activity, sure seems like the creator(Jagger) has a masterplan, I think at some point in the future we are going to see and hear Taylor playing with The Rolling Stones onstage again.

Maybe not "creation" but just intelligent design..smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 16:31 by wanderingspirit66.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 16:33

Stern spoke for a ton of Taylor era fans when he asked him - why did he quit the Stones? Of course STern is going to ask him that obvious question. It has to be one of the worst career decisions in the history of music. At least Pete Best was fired - Taylor walked away. But, it was great seeing and hearing Taylor play. Keith wanted nothing to do with Roots when he was on - rust and all of that. You have to believe Jagger and Richards were watching their old band mate tear it up last night.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2357
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home