Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Mick Taylor on Late Night w/ Jimmy Fallon 5/9
Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 11, 2012 00:10

RollingFreak
What is this? 1963?

I was thinking 1984, or Soylent Green.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 00:32

I think some of you guys are being too sensitive about Stern's grilling of MT - it was obvious Stern's whole point was: 'Why the hell did you leave the Rolling Stones? They've never been the same since'
And to expect MT to play a standard set on a national TV talk show in 2012 is unrealistic. We know who is, but most don't.
I have a feeling Fallon invited Stern because he was an obvious fan. It wasn't like,
'Who are you again?'
Stern was just expressing the same WTF! feeling many Stones fans have had since MT left, not as a criticism, but .....
'Why the hell did you have to go Mick?'
Only a real fan would understand what he was talking about, but I thought it showed genuine affection on Stern's part for MT's work with the Stones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-11 00:36 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 11, 2012 00:42

Soylent Green is People ! ! ! !

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 11, 2012 01:11

GumbootCloggeroo
I highly doubt Mick Taylor was crying backstage because Howard Stern was making fun of him. Therefore, some of you shouldn't be so sensitive about what happened smiling smiley

You're probably talking to me. Did you see it? If not, maybe you should before giving me guff for saying it was painful to watch. It was.

And whether or not the "exposure" is good for Mick Taylor, that's not the point. And I acknowledged he was being Howard Stern being...well, Howard Stern. But, no, Mick Taylor, as gracious as I said he was being, did not look like he was enjoying being pelted with the same question repeated again and again by that whiny-assed obnoxious dude. I like Howard Stern. But he's like that hyperactive kid we all went to school with who you just want to say Can't you shut the fock up for 30 seconds? winking smiley

I didn't say Mick Taylor was weeping back stage in a fetal tuck. I said it must have been annoying. And tedious. And I said he DID give it back to Howard Stern---among other things grinning wryly and indulgently, saying to him "uh, Howard, I think we already covered this when you interviewed me on your show--so how bout we move on now?"

-swiss

Date: May 11, 2012 01:17

How Howard Stern is still going doing what he is does tells me how many selfish dolt retarded @#$%& pricks there are in the world that worship that shit on a stick "DJ".

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 11, 2012 01:20

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
How Howard Stern is still going doing what he is does tells me how many selfish dolt retarded @#$%& pricks there are in the world that worship that shit on a stick "DJ".
X2

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:32

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

How do you really feel? smoking smiley

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:33

chelskeith
What happened to Howard Stern, he looked like shit on Fallon last night.

Why would anyone quit being the most popular DJ in the biggest city in the country to jump on the satellite radio horse and buggy ride?

You're totally right, but the answer is he got his "creative freedom" - and, oh yeah, they threw several fortunes at him. He couldn't grab it fast enough.

I imagine he hoped satradio would catch on more than it has.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:39

swiss
GumbootCloggeroo
I highly doubt Mick Taylor was crying backstage because Howard Stern was making fun of him. Therefore, some of you shouldn't be so sensitive about what happened smiling smiley

You're probably talking to me. Did you see it? If not, maybe you should before giving me guff for saying it was painful to watch. It was.

And whether or not the "exposure" is good for Mick Taylor, that's not the point. And I acknowledged he was being Howard Stern being...well, Howard Stern. But, no, Mick Taylor, as gracious as I said he was being, did not look like he was enjoying being pelted with the same question repeated again and again by that whiny-assed obnoxious dude. I like Howard Stern. But he's like that hyperactive kid we all went to school with who you just want to say Can't you shut the fock up for 30 seconds? winking smiley

I didn't say Mick Taylor was weeping back stage in a fetal tuck. I said it must have been annoying. And tedious. And I said he DID give it back to Howard Stern---among other things grinning wryly and indulgently, saying to him "uh, Howard, I think we already covered this when you interviewed me on your show--so how bout we move on now?"

-swiss

Not entirely disagreeing with you swiss, but did you catch the part where Stern waves over to Mick, "Hey Mick, lets get outta here" or something when he's busting Fallon's chops?

That moment certainly doesn't negate all of your points by any means, but its a clear indication of camaraderie at least. And, its also, "hey, me and you, we're too good for this show" - all still part of a gag, but it was inclusive and at least one respectful gesture towards Taylor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-11 02:40 by SweetThing.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:55

SweetThing
Satellite Radio and Howard Stern are synonymous. Whether you like the guy or not, and I don't, he made that company a viable contender. Howard put them on the map and I would say they grew to be pretty successful. There are tons of people that only have Satellite because of Howard.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:58

SweetThing
swiss
GumbootCloggeroo

-swiss

Not entirely disagreeing with you swiss, but did you catch the part where Stern waves over to Mick, "Hey Mick, lets get outta here" or something when he's busting Fallon's chops?

That moment certainly doesn't negate all of your points by any means, but its a clear indication of camaraderie at least. And, its also, "hey, me and you, we're too good for this show" - all still part of a gag, but it was inclusive and at least one respectful gesture towards Taylor.

That is the shot where MT appeared to be leaning against his amp, sleeping.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: May 11, 2012 03:00

Mick has been a guest on Howard's show so I really doubt he was all that bothered by Howard's antics. He knows what Howard's about so he just went along with it. Some of you are reading way too much into it or projecting your own feelings onto Mick....

Posted by: Mickjagg65 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 03:52

Just a note on Stern's jump to satellite radio,
He went to Sirius and they had 600,000 listeners while XM had 7 million. Over the next five years Sirius grew so large it bought XM and now has 20 million listeners total. I'm not saying that all 20 million are huge Stern fans but you need to give credit where credit is due. That being said Mick Taylor looked and sounded great last night.

Date: May 11, 2012 03:55

71Tele
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

How do you really feel? smoking smiley

Not sure. Better? I dunno. I'll get back to ya on it.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 11, 2012 04:22

batcave
Mick has been a guest on Howard's show so I really doubt he was all that bothered by Howard's antics. He knows what Howard's about so he just went along with it. Some of you are reading way too much into it or projecting your own feelings onto Mick....

Totally agree. I'd be really surprised if they didn't talk about it before the taping. I admit he (Stern) was kind of annoying, though he usually makes me laugh. But I got no malicious intent there. He's sung Taylor's praises enough over the years.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 11, 2012 06:42

chelskeith
What happened to Howard Stern, he looked like shit on Fallon last night.

Why would anyone quit being the most popular DJ in the biggest city in the country to jump on the satellite radio horse and buggy ride?

Besides the money, he has said he was tired of the censorship and constant fighting about what he could say.
I think he's said he's back up to about a third of his former audience in numbers.

God question, though, ha, in context of his questions to MT!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 07:42

It's nice to see Mick T. get respect from Howard. How anybody could interpret Stern's comments/behavior as something othen than respect/admiration for Mick T. is beyond me.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 11, 2012 11:45

From kids and fools you will hear the truth. Howard Stern plays in that second category even though he's not, of course, a real fool. Mick T looks miserable. The house band was great and he looks bored and withdrawn. You almost starts to pity him. And when it comes to playing the other guy did most of it. Except for that, by now, boring solo.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 11, 2012 12:51

mtaylor
pinkfloydthebarber
***Howard Stern's grilling and ribbing of Mick Taylor was uncomfortable to sit through.***

- Yep. Howard Stern is an horse's arse. Mick Taylor played great.

And then he was talking about the "black" tuba player. I thought it was prohibited to mention a persons colour on US TV

Well, he was playing a tuba, wasn't he?

Mathijs

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 11, 2012 13:14

thrilling to see/hear Taylor play CYHMK with the Roots....

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: May 11, 2012 14:43

Anybody find the vid of Howard OFF site? NBC's crap server
gets stuck on OS X during the "pixel.quant.server" feed.
Got the MT part offsite though. No, my 'puter is not a PoS.

Date: May 11, 2012 15:04

I found this...

video: [www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com]

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: May 11, 2012 15:07

New day, same sh!t. Thanks, though.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 11, 2012 17:19

RollingFreak
SweetThing
There are tons of people that only have Satellite because of Howard.

That's one of those things that are wrong with this world.

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 17:33

24FPS
Did I miss something? When did 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' occur? All I got in Los Angeles was a few, very short snippets of Mick at the beginning, and then only a few tantalizing licks when they came back from commercials.

I didn't see CYHMK either. They must have done a big nasty edit for the west coast.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: May 11, 2012 17:38

Great version. The Roots are cooking. How nice to hear a rhythm guitarist actually "kill it" in a positive way. Taylor sounds good, too. A nice, tight, version that keeps him from wandering into fusion land.

Why aren't The Roots playing with Jagger on SNL?

Also, I took Stern's interaction with Taylor to be respectful and funny. Although, I have no idea how anyone could translate his comments into "the Stones haven't been the same since Taylor left".

I've often thought one of the prerequisites to being a rabid Taylor fan is the ability to delude yourself.

Date: May 11, 2012 19:23

swiss
I stayed up to see Mick Taylor on Jimmy Fallon, and was a little disappointed.

Mick Taylor wasn't interviewed; he just sat in with The Roots, currently Jimmy Fallon's house band.

His playing was definitely very nice! And as reported, we heard little 3- to 5-second snippets of
MT playing before and after commercials. What we could hear from "Love in Vain" was great. Also the
opening riff to "Can't You Hear Me Knocking."

Howard Stern's grilling and ribbing of Mick Taylor was uncomfortable to sit through. He is, after
all, Howard Stern, and of course HE may have believed he was being respectful, in a sorta sideways insulting
way -- but he was awful. Asking over and over again why he left the Stones, demanding Mick tell him
his reasons for leaving , telling Mick 5 different ways what a gargantuan mistake it was to have
left the Stones, and even saying something like "Just LOOK at you. You look like hell." And teasing
him for having thought he could have a solo career. On an on and on.

Mick Taylor was enormously gracious, and gave some of it back to Howard Stern, but good lord!! how
TEDIOUS it must be to be Mick Taylor a lot of the time.

I was very disappointed that they didn't play ONE song in its entirety. At the end, for about 45 seconds
The Roots were jamming and sort of rapping, and Mick was playing some extremely appropriate and tasty
licks -- musically sounded like he was having fun.

But if you didn't stay up to watch it--or have Tivo--what you missed was seeing that Mick IS looking good
[and happy] and IS sounding great! But no hugely unforgettable moments.
-swiss

Howard Stern's "ribbing" of Mick Taylor is a perfect example of how Mick Jagger operates. The whole thing with Stern was scripted by Jagger, sort of a re-introduction of Mick Taylor to the world within the context of the Rolling Stones. A little "teaser", if you will. This should be a good sign for Stones fans. It simply means that the Stones have some plans for Mick Taylor in the coming 14 months or so in regards to their 50th anniversary celebration. What those plans are will be revealed at some point in the not to distant future. As early as Saturday night May 19? Maybe, and maybe not. You will just have to wait and see. Expect the unexpected with the Rolling Stones, always.smoking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 11, 2012 19:31

Yeah..............Mick Jagger scripted what Howard Stern would do. Uh, this may not sit well with those that despise Mr. Stern, but he quite possibly might have more money than even Mr. Jagger. You can hate Mr. Stern, but he is responsible for fighting the fight (getting fired often) for free speech. It is refreshing to hear his show uncensored. And he is a hell of an interviewer. Sasha Baron Cohen was on the other day and he dropped the Dictator promo crap and was interviewed as himself, which turned out to be quite interesting.

Date: May 11, 2012 19:53

24FPS
Yeah..............Mick Jagger scripted what Howard Stern would do. Uh, this may not sit well with those that despise Mr. Stern, but he quite possibly might have more money than even Mr. Jagger. You can hate Mr. Stern, but he is responsible for fighting the fight (getting fired often) for free speech. It is refreshing to hear his show uncensored. And he is a hell of an interviewer. Sasha Baron Cohen was on the other day and he dropped the Dictator promo crap and was interviewed as himself, which turned out to be quite interesting.

Howard loves the Rolling Stones. And the Stones love Howard.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 11, 2012 20:05

Agree, 24FPS. Howard is always entertaining. The ribbing of Mick T looked bad though because it was obvious that Mick took ill offense and that he was too shy to "give back". If they are seriously planning on having Mick T back in the band (of some sorts) Mick J has a very grim task preparing him for it. Mick T is basically stuck in early 70s blues routines. For the Taylorites it's probably heaven, for the vast majority it's mostly boring. Not just to hear but even more so to watch. And try showing a smile once in a while. It won't hurt!

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2307
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home