Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 37
Re: LA Friday 1975 MUCH better than Brussels 1973!
Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: April 4, 2012 03:55

la 75 is not even close to brussels!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 4, 2012 03:59

microvibe

Lol.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 4, 2012 04:04

Beautiful.

I live in the US, the land of the free, and I cannot download a FLAC version of this? And my European brothers & sisters can??? Huh? How? Why?

*** Not trying to be political; just trying to understand.

Posted by: Turner ()
Date: April 4, 2012 05:01

the allure of the Stones...every concert and every album has some flaw(s) that keep it from being the perfect artifact!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 4, 2012 05:08

microvibe

Agreed
LA75 left it behind

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 4, 2012 05:21

MILKYWAY
Beautiful.

I live in the US, the land of the free, and I cannot download a FLAC version of this? And my European brothers & sisters can??? Huh? How? Why?

Just like it was during the last 2 releases...GoogleMusic has an exclusive license in the US to sell the recordings ONLY as mp3.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 4, 2012 06:06

Justin
MILKYWAY
Beautiful.

Just like it was during the last 2 releases...GoogleMusic has an exclusive license in the US to sell the recordings ONLY as mp3.

But if I burn it on a CD, can I then put said CD on my iPod? In other words, will Apple take it?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 4, 2012 06:10

You don't even need to burn it on a CD to put it through Itunes. In Itunes, just click File -> Import Folder To Library and then locate the recording wherever you had it downloaded and then click OK. The mp3's will import to Itunes with no issue. From there you can put it on your Ipod or burn a CD or whatever else you need to do.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 4, 2012 06:18

Justin
You don't even need to burn it on a CD to put it through Itunes. In Itunes, just click File -> Import Folder To Library and then locate the recording wherever you had it downloaded and then click OK. The mp3's will import to Itunes with no issue. From there you can put it on your Ipod or burn a CD or whatever else you need to do.

Thank you kindly.

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: April 4, 2012 06:34

Laughingsam
Mick Taylor isn't overrated. But let's shift the conversation here -- Keith Richards is overrated. Ask any non-stones fan who Mick Taylor is and you draw a blank stare. Yet Keith turns up on all those obnoxious "Greatest Guitarists" lists and often in the top 10. It's a joke. He's a fantastic song writer and a competent guitarist (in his prime), his persona probably has more to do with his high ranking than his guitar playing prowess.

Carlos Santana is overrated. Jimmy Page is overrated. Mick Taylor? He sits alongside people like Roy Buchanan as someone who (despite loads of talent) slips through the cracks when it comes to discussing the "all-time greats"

There is a reason why everyone knows keith and not mick taylor aside from real stones fans and its very very simple, keith richards is the driving force behind the stones music. This is exactly why he is in all those top guitarist list. Not even close to the most technically skilled players but creativity, and originality go an awful long way. The rhythm playing and riffs from him is what sets him apart and gives him a place amongst all those other great players, and more importantly is what people instantly recognize about the stones, not the solo from time waits for no one.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 4, 2012 07:22

jamesfdouglas
Okay, 4 songs in... what's with Mick here???
Dropping song lines, off-timed, the most unintelligable I've ever,ever heard him. Coke??

La's the place for it. My thoughts too. Pretty obvious actually. Listen to the friggin tempos! peace

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 4, 2012 07:34

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-04 07:51 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: April 4, 2012 08:04

msw2525
Laughingsam
Mick Taylor isn't overrated. But let's shift the conversation here -- Keith Richards is overrated. Ask any non-stones fan who Mick Taylor is and you draw a blank stare. Yet Keith turns up on all those obnoxious "Greatest Guitarists" lists and often in the top 10. It's a joke. He's a fantastic song writer and a competent guitarist (in his prime), his persona probably has more to do with his high ranking than his guitar playing prowess.

Carlos Santana is overrated. Jimmy Page is overrated. Mick Taylor? He sits alongside people like Roy Buchanan as someone who (despite loads of talent) slips through the cracks when it comes to discussing the "all-time greats"

There is a reason why everyone knows keith and not mick taylor aside from real stones fans and its very very simple, keith richards is the driving force behind the stones music. This is exactly why he is in all those top guitarist list. Not even close to the most technically skilled players but creativity, and originality go an awful long way. The rhythm playing and riffs from him is what sets him apart and gives him a place amongst all those other great players, and more importantly is what people instantly recognize about the stones, not the solo from time waits for no one.

Fair enough. I did say he was a superb song writer. As far as riffs go, he's brilliant but I still consider him overrated. Heck a lot of non-Stones fans think he played the solo in "Time Waits..."

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 4, 2012 08:47

Yeah this certainly is a mixed bag for Mick. He is out of time quite a bit, and also drops endings and beginnings of lyrics... It is an interesting performance, but not one of Mick's better ones. He is far better on Brussels. Ronnie, however, is superb on LA! Almost a revelation, and certainly underrated. He especially shines on Honky Tonk wiht some tasty licks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-04 08:54 by whitem8.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: April 4, 2012 09:05

shadooby
Shwing...we're not worthy!!! This is more of what I was looking for, a show that was not available before other than crappy audience boots.

crappy ? holy shit...

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: April 4, 2012 09:29

Wow, what a vibe this show has!

Date: April 4, 2012 10:03

Why compare?

Date: April 4, 2012 10:07

Best release so far. I never thought I'd say that it was better than Hampton, but it really is!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 4, 2012 10:14

Laughingsam
msw2525
Laughingsam

Fair enough. I did say he was a superb song writer. As far as riffs go, he's brilliant but I still consider him overrated. Heck a lot of non-Stones fans think he played the solo in "Time Waits..."

I really don't know what overratted means. Rated by whhom? These useless top 10 lists in guitar magazines with fantastic technical players whom you actually can't listen too?

Keiths playing on LA 75 is quite a revelation to me. He plays far better than I had anticipated. Take Gimme Shelter -a song with only 3 chords, yet Richards throws in something new every 5 seconds. Same with IORR, which is basically two chords in open G, but still he manages to completely rewrite the book on open G riffing.

Sure, Richards is not a Joe Satriani. BUt listen to Satriani playing Stones songs with Jagger in '88....now that's pretty awful.

Mathijs

Date: April 4, 2012 10:14

Laughingsam

Have you even listened to this release? What Keith does on Fingerprint File alone makes him worthy of ANY list. And being a songwriter IS a very important part of creating a unique sound, like Keith has. Very few on these lists have done that. That's why Keith always is top 10 on them...

Date: April 4, 2012 10:18

There is an easy way of comparing Brussels and LA Friday (if you must). Just take the songs that are played on both shows and compare them.

For me, the LA songs sound best, especially GS, Midnight Rambler, YCAGWYW, Heartbreaker and BS.

Then there are an incredible amount of songs on LA Friday, while Brussels is a short set. Easy for me, but each to his own.

EDIT: Rip This Joint cooks!!! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-04 10:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 4, 2012 10:22

kleermaker
But musically Brussels beats LA Friday easily.

Is it? One can have its preference, but to state Brussels is musically better?

It's difficult to describe what 'musically better' is. In '75 I think most where better players than in '73 -Charlie, Bill and Richards were better players in '75. Jagger sang better in '73. When it comes to Taylor/Wood, it all comes down to preference. I prefer Wood's approach to the lead in YCAGWY over Taylor's. Wood has a different background, and is more a R&B/soul player than Taylor, who really has a blues background. So, Taylor solo is a blistering but quite standard pentatonic blues solo, which sometimes is brilliant (Fort Worth '72 anyone), but can also be quite stale at times. Wood's solo is ryhtmically more challinging, and tries to explore outside the realm of blues solo's. The same with rhythm guitar playing -I prefer Wood's counter rhyhm guitar in Rambler over Taylor's lead noodling, which I find much less powerful.

I would not say one is better than the other, it is different.

Mathijs

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: April 4, 2012 10:26

msw2525
Laughingsam

To say that Keith Richards is overrated misses the point of what makes a great artist or great musician. OK - if you want to judge purely on technical wizardry, Keith falls far behind many others. But the reason Keith deserves to makes those "greatests guitarists" lists is because even though his playing is simple, he puts across a unique vibe and feel that many try to imitate but never duplicate. Anybody can tune a guitar to open G and learn Honky Tonk Women but NOBODY can make that guitar sound like Keith. It's all about putting feel, soul, and emotion across. THAT'S what makes a great musician; not the ability to play lightening fast mechanical licks.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: April 4, 2012 10:55

Mathijs
I think each and every track is better from LA, and the vibe is so much better as well. And the sound -really the guitars have never sounded any better than on this tour!

Mathijs

Big thanks to Ambeg amps!

Date: April 4, 2012 11:10

DandelionPowderman
EDIT: Rip This Joint cooks!!! thumbs up

That was a surprise to me as well -it is one of the very few songs I never really liked live, especially not the 75/76 versions. Way to sloppy and chaotic. But this version is really tight and strong, and it does cook!

Mathijs

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 4, 2012 11:12

All I can add is that I still thank the boy next door who made me listen to The Stones in 1980
and got me hooked. On days like these I realize my life would not have been this much fun if
I hadn't had the chance to listen to this red hot music. Thank whoever it was that decided
the fans needed these shows in this quality!
Clearmountain finally made up for his mistakes on editing the Live Licks album.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 4, 2012 11:12

Laughingsam

Jimmy Page is the best guitarplayer ever, Mick T. isn´t even close to him. That´s my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-04 11:17 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Date: April 4, 2012 11:25

JumpinJeppeFlash
Laughingsam

Jimmy Page is the best guitarplayer ever, Mick T. isn´t even close to him. That´s my opinion.

He's good in very much the same way Keith is good, imo. A brilliant song writer, developed a unique sound and has a very distinct technique, without being nowhere near a virtuoso.

Date: April 4, 2012 12:04

tomk
Justin

Thank you kindly.

Took me a while to figure that one out too.
Once you bought the tracks, there is that small downward arrow on each song's line. It says to 'download' there. That is where you can send it where ever you want.
I had a hard time with the right clicking yesterday too.

Date: April 4, 2012 12:08

Naturalust
jamesfdouglas
Okay, 4 songs in... what's with Mick here???
Dropping song lines, off-timed, the most unintelligable I've ever,ever heard him. Coke??

La's the place for it. My thoughts too. Pretty obvious actually. Listen to the friggin tempos! peace

Seems like it happens either during first line of song . The tempos are fierce, and also in between songs sometimes is quick release. I think Jagger actually does pretty good.
I am very amazed how tight some of the ending sequence is like RTJ and JJF. VERY glad that BS, JJF and SFM are all kept to around 4 minutes, I hate these loong drawn out sing along fests now.
I have to wonder in the band they agreed to 'record' this show. Jagger sings YCAGWYW more pronounced and personalized than he was doing in 75.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home